|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By when do most of the animals become somewhat literate?
2. What does Mr. Jones do when he hears the animals making a lot of noise in Chapter 1?
3. How many dogs does Napoleon's summon in Chapter 5?
4. What are Snowball and Boxer given after the battle in Chapter 4?
5. Which animal is driven from the farm by the dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which animal is favored by Mr. Jones over all of the other animals?
2. How do the animals react to Animalism after they have the greatest harvest ever?
3. To Old Major, who is the only creature who consumes without producing?
4. What do the local farmers do regarding the Animal Farm in Chapter 4?
5. What are the Seven Commandments on which Animalism is based?
6. Why didn't the pigs do any work in Chapter 3?
7. Why does Old Major feel it is important to give his speech that night in Chapter 1?
8. Who emerges as the true leader of the farm by Chapter 4?
9. What do the arguments between Napoleon and Snowball cause?
10. In Chapter 3, what is the reward of the hard work completed by the animals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As this story is a representation of the mindset of people in a country following an upheaval or revolution, each character represents a typical group of people. Choose two characters from the novel and describe which group of people they represent and how their actions in the novel support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author uses clear, simple, and accessible language to construct the novel. Explain how this writing technique is useful for conveying the complex issues discussed throughout the novel. Include specific examples from the text to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail what parallels can be drawn in this book between the animals' struggles and that of the Russian Revolution. Be specific and include at least five parallels.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)