|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are people/animals gathering to hear speak in Chapter 1?
2. What happens to Old Major during his sleep three days after Chapter 1?
3. Who acts as a spy for Mr. Jones?
4. What do Mr. Jones and the other farmers do in Chapter 4?
5. On whose battle plans is the protection battle strategy based?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the other animals feel about Old Major?
2. What in Chapter 4 could be considered as increasing the tension between Napoleon and Snowball?
3. Who begins to organize the revolution in Chapter 2?
4. What are the Seven Commandments on which Animalism is based?
5. In Chapter 3, what is the reward of the hard work completed by the animals?
6. From where do the nine dogs who drive snowball from the farm come?
7. How do the animals react to Animalism after they have the greatest harvest ever?
8. What is the goal of the farmers in Chapter 4?
9. What does Mollie deny to Clover?
10. What talents does Squealer display which will be useful during the revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how propaganda is used throughout this novel to change the views of the animals. Then compare that to the use of propaganda in today's society.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the character Boxer. Write an essay about this character and the decisions and actions he took throughout the story as well as his final fate. Make a judgment about these issues and use information from the text to support your judgment.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, the character of Napoleon becomes more and more detached from reality. Describe the path this detachment took through the novel using details from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)