|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the puppies?
2. Why doesn't Mr. Jones feed the animals for more than a day?
3. Which animal is not mentioned in Chapter 4 at all?
4. Which of the following is the name of a horse?
5. Which animal wakes up earlier than the others and works through any breaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the animals dislike alcohol?
2. What in Chapter 4 could be considered as increasing the tension between Napoleon and Snowball?
3. Which animal is favored by Mr. Jones over all of the other animals?
4. What do the arguments between Napoleon and Snowball cause?
5. What are the Seven Commandments on which Animalism is based?
6. Who emerges as the true leader of the farm by Chapter 4?
7. At the end of the Chapter 4, what does Snowball call on the animals on the farm to be ready to do?
8. What happens to the rest of the animals after Old Major's speech?
9. What do the animals do on Sundays, according to Chapter 3?
10. What is the goal of the farmers in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can you describe a time in this country where you believe the ruler blatantly broke the founding principles upon which the country was based? How does this compare to the character of Napoleon in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Napoleon hid the fact that his animals were starving from others. Why would a leader of a country want to hide something like that? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail what parallels can be drawn in this book between the animals' struggles and that of the Russian Revolution. Be specific and include at least five parallels.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)