|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Jones talk to his friends about losing his farm?
2. Why do the pigs say they are mixing the milk into their apple mash?
3. What happens to Old Major during his sleep three days after Chapter 1?
4. What happens to the puppies?
5. Which of the following animals is large, fierce and used to getting his own way?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the other animals feel about Old Major?
2. Who begins to organize the revolution in Chapter 2?
3. What do the arguments between Napoleon and Snowball cause?
4. What in Chapter 4 could be considered as increasing the tension between Napoleon and Snowball?
5. What happens between Napoleon and Snowball in Chapter 5?
6. How do the animals react to Animalism after they have the greatest harvest ever?
7. What is the goal of the farmers in Chapter 4?
8. What does Old Major want to do with the content of his speech?
9. Who emerges as the true leader of the farm by Chapter 4?
10. What do the animals do on Sundays, according to Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Propaganda is continually used throughout this novel. Describe propaganda techniques you saw in the novel which you feel are still employed today. Then describe how you feel these techniques worked in the book and continue to work today.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail what parallels can be drawn in this book between the animals' struggles and that of the Russian Revolution. Be specific and include at least five parallels.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Napoleon hid the fact that his animals were starving from others. Why would a leader of a country want to hide something like that? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)