|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old Major wish to share with the other animals in Chapter 1?
2. Which animals initially protest Napoleon's orders, but then are quickly silenced by the growling dogs?
3. By when do most of the animals become somewhat literate?
4. How do the three pigs spread the message of Animalism in Chapter 2?
5. What do Mr. Jones and the other farmers do in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the arguments between Napoleon and Snowball cause?
2. What happens between Napoleon and Snowball in Chapter 5?
3. Why are the animals changing the Commandments?
4. What does Napoleon declare Animal Farm to be in Chapter 9?
5. Who emerges as the true leader of the farm by Chapter 4?
6. Who is left totally in charge of the farm at the end of Chapter 5?
7. What talents does Squealer display which will be useful during the revolution?
8. In Chapter 7, what does Napoleon order in regards to Snowball?
9. In Chapter 3, what is the reward of the hard work completed by the animals?
10. What does the only Commandment left at the end of the novel state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As this story is a representation of the mindset of people in a country following an upheaval or revolution, each character represents a typical group of people. Choose two characters from the novel and describe which group of people they represent and how their actions in the novel support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Seven Commandments changed from the beginning of the novel to the end. Be sure to include the reasons behind the changes to support your descriptions.
Essay Topic 3
Can you describe a time in this country where you believe the ruler blatantly broke the founding principles upon which the country was based? How does this compare to the character of Napoleon in this novel?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)