|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prior do while Louis is on the phone in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. For what Broadway musical does Roy Cohn get tickets for Mrs. Hollins?
3. Which of the following is not something Prior keeps in his bed to ward off spirits in Act 3, Scene 6?
4. What does Joe Pitt say he has to do before accepting a job with the Justice Department?
5. What is to be Prior Walter's role, according to his ancestors in Act 3, Scene1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does Roy Cohn make Joe Pitt in Act 1; Scene 2?
2. What is Prior's reaction to Belize's gift in Act 5, Scene 8?
3. What delusions become real for Harper in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. To what understanding concerning beliefs do Hannah and Prior come in Act 4, Scene 6?
5. Why does Joe punch Louis in Act 4, Scene 8?
6. Describe the first meeting between Louis and Joe.
7. How does Hannah Pitt react to Joe's late night call to her?
8. What call does Hannah receive as soon as she arrives at Joe's apartment?
9. What trick does Roy Cohn play on Ethel Rosenberg at the end of Act 4?
10. How does Louis' liaison with the Man in the Park end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louis and Belize are foils to each other in Angels in America. Write an essay about the dynamic that exists between them, focusing on the two long conversations they have and the night in Roy Cohn's hospital room. How are they different, and how are they similar? In what ways does Belize serve as Louis' conscience in these scenes? How does each man change as a result of this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Joe Pitt is the most ambiguous figure in the play. He is at once tortured, principled, and selfish. He is a victim and a bully. Write an essay about Kushner's attitude toward Joe. Divide the essay into three sections, focusing first on examples of sympathy for the confused and self-loathing man. The second section should focus on the unsympathetic qualities of Joe's character. The last section should be an opinion as to what Kushner believes about Joe as a person.
Essay Topic 3
Prior Walter is Tony Kushner's hero in the Angels in America. Write an essay delineating what qualities of Prior Walter make him heroic. The first half of the essay should sketch out the character aspects that make a hero. In the second half, cite specific actions taken and statements made by Prior that would conform with this model. What is Prior's great heroic act in the play?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)