|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what dead figure does Ethel Rosenberg send a "hello" in Act 3, Scene 5?
2. What characteristic of Hannah's does Sister Ella Chapter like most?
3. Which of the following is not a term that Louis uses to describe the lawyers that do not comfort him while he's crying?
4. What is the title of the paperback novel that Belize quotes in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. Why can Louis and the Man not go back to the Man's house in Act 2, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Prior determine about Louis in Act 2, Scene 9?
2. How does Louis end up in Prior's bedroom in Act 3, Scene 6?
3. How do Harper and Prior meet?
4. What request does Prior make of Louis at the end of their pained meeting in Act 4, Scene 1?
5. How does Louis use an explanation of smell in Act 1, Scene 6, as a sexual come-on?
6. Why does Louis criticize Joe's decision on a case that found in favor of a gay soldier?
7. Describe Harper in Act 5, Scene 9.
8. To what understanding concerning beliefs do Hannah and Prior come in Act 4, Scene 6?
9. What is the Angel's official edict, and why does she want it delivered to Earth?
10. What information about Joe does Belize tell Louis in Act 4, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the motivations and objectives of Harper Pitt. Her actions seem kinetic and meaningless to Hannah and Joe, but she is driven by something deep and ingrained in her psyche. What drives Harper to gobble Valium and act madly? Cite statements made both by her and by Joe to examine the meaning behind her madness.
Essay Topic 2
Tony Kushner's play takes place almost entirely in New York City. This is the home of virtually every character, but he also has two other distinct settings that exist in the real world but exist in the play as fantastical realms. Write en essay about these two places. Why does Kushner choose them as fantastical lands? What is different about them? What do they represent?
Part 1) Antarctica
Part 2) San Fransisco
Essay Topic 3
Tony Kushner sets Angels in America during the high-water mark of the Reagan era, when the pursuit of individual success was a central focus in America. Write an essay about Kushner's depiction of the destructiveness of self-interest focusing on three characters:
Part 1) How is the character of Roy Cohn the antithesis of the communitarian worldview? What does he attempt to espouse to the two men he befriends: Joe and Belize? Cite specific statements he makes during the play.
Part 2) How is Joe Pitt a worthy disciple to Roy Cohn's worldview? How does his coming out to Louis and Harper prove to be intensely self-interested? What prevents him from fully enjoying his happiness?
Part 3) To what extent does Joe attempt to win Louis over to the idea that self-interested is the best a person can be? How does Louis react to this, and what happens to the relationship as a result?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)