|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what Broadway musical does Roy Cohn get tickets for Mrs. Hollins?
2. What is the one thing Prior begs Louis not to do in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. Like what does the snow of Harper's metaphysical Antarctica in Act 3, Scene 3 smell?
4. In Prior's drag dream, at what age does he fear he will die?
5. Why can Louis and the Man not go back to the Man's house in Act 2, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Prior and Hannah meet the second time?
2. Describe Roy in Act 3, Scene 5.
3. How does Roy react to Joe's admission that he is staying with a man in Act 4, Scene 1?
4. How do Harper and Prior meet?
5. How does Alexii Antedilluvianovich Prelapsarianov compare the Theory of the Bolshevik Revolution with the Theory of the present?
6. What does Belize warn Roy about regarding his AZT?
7. What trick does Roy Cohn play on Ethel Rosenberg at the end of Act 4?
8. What happens to Prior in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. Describe the setting of the Epilogue.
10. What does Roy have to say about a father's love in Act 2, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tony Kushner creates several prominent characters in the play that are not of this world. Each of these characters exists on a realm of being different from anyone else, even the other supernatural characters. Write an essay comparing three of these characters. Who are they and how have they manifested themselves onstage? With whom do they interact and what is the nature of this interaction? Are they benevolent? Violent?
Part 1) Mr. Lies
Part 2) Ethel Rosenberg
Part 3) The Angel
Essay Topic 2
The play Angels in America centers on two men battling the ravages of AIDS: Prior Walter and Roy Cohn. As the health of both men deteriorates, both become immersed in a supernatural world. How do the different experiences of Prior and Roy reflect two different attitudes towards death? AIDS? Companionship? In an essay, use these men's relationship to death and disease to delineate their different worldviews.
Essay Topic 3
Angels in America is a celebration of the essential commonality of all people. Write en essay on this theme, focusing on the beleaguered relationships that mature throughout the play. What do Hannah and Prior, Belize and Roy, and others discover about themselves and their supposed foils? Conclude the essay with a statement regarding Kushner's opinion of humanity.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)