|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does Louis' Act 3, Scene 2, story of about subtle antisemitism abroad take place?
2. In Act 2, Scene 7, Joe wonders aloud if who ever loved him?
3. What does Henry tell Belize he should have in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Why can Louis and the Man not go back to the Man's house in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. In what city does Roy believe he met Mormons?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 5, why does Belize fear that Prior is losing his mind?
2. What delusions become real for Harper in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. What call does Hannah receive as soon as she arrives at Joe's apartment?
4. How does Louis' liaison with the Man in the Park end?
5. What does Roy have to say about a father's love in Act 2, Scene 4?
6. How does Louis end up in Prior's bedroom in Act 3, Scene 6?
7. What bad news does Prior deliver to Louis the day of Sarah Ironson's funeral?
8. What is the Angel's official edict, and why does she want it delivered to Earth?
9. Describe the interchange between Henry and Belize in Act 1, Scene 4?
10. Describe the first meeting between Louis and Joe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kushner links many seemingly disparate groups together in his play. He seems to imply that all people that find themselves marginalized by their affiliations are bound in some way. Write an essay about this binding force of exclusion from the mainstream, focusing on the Mormon, Jewish, and homosexual communities. Use examples from the text of members of these groups interacting and finding common ground to support the thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Some critics characterize Angels in America as a magical realist work. In magical realism, the realistic and the paranormal exist at the same time in the narrative. More importantly, though, in a magical realist work the characters accept these paranormal elements without question. Write an essay detailing whether you think Angels in America is a magical realist work. Use specific examples from the text and interpretation of these examples to defend your position.
Essay Topic 3
In Angels in America, Kushner couches his theme of community in relationships. Three romantic relationships dominate the narrative, each saying something about the nature of community in modern America. Write an essay about these three pairings:
Part 1) Prior and Louis are relationship-based on need and ambivalence. To what extent do both men embody these emotions? What drives them apart, and are they ever reconciled?
Part 2) What is the central schism between Harper and Joe Pitt? How do Harper's fears of the world connect to Joe's desires? What is the only thing keeping Joe in the relationship?
Part 3)How is the relationship between Louis and Joe a communion based on self-interest? Does this coupling have a chance of surviving? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)