|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does Ed Meese remind Martin Heller?
2. In Act 1, Scene 9, who does Roy claim he can reach on the phone in five minutes?
3. What characteristic of Hannah's does Sister Ella Chapter like most?
4. What addition to the Antarctica of Act 3, Scene 3 confuses Mr. Lies?
5. What is Roy Cohn most proud of in his entire career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation of Roy's past shocks Joe in Act 3, Scene 6?
2. Describe Harper in Act 5, Scene 9.
3. Where is Roy the last time we see him in the play?
4. Why does Prior wrestle the Angel in Act 5, Scene 1?
5. What call does Hannah receive as soon as she arrives at Joe's apartment?
6. What does Belize warn Roy about regarding his AZT?
7. Why does Belize want Louis to say Kaddish over Roy's body?
8. How does Mr. Lies explain Harper Pitt's ill sense of ease?
9. How does Prior respond to the approach of the Angel in Act 3, Scene 7?
10. How does Hannah Pitt react to Joe's late night call to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prior Walter is Tony Kushner's hero in the Angels in America. Write an essay delineating what qualities of Prior Walter make him heroic. The first half of the essay should sketch out the character aspects that make a hero. In the second half, cite specific actions taken and statements made by Prior that would conform with this model. What is Prior's great heroic act in the play?
Essay Topic 2
The play Angels in America centers on two men battling the ravages of AIDS: Prior Walter and Roy Cohn. As the health of both men deteriorates, both become immersed in a supernatural world. How do the different experiences of Prior and Roy reflect two different attitudes towards death? AIDS? Companionship? In an essay, use these men's relationship to death and disease to delineate their different worldviews.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of Perestroika, Alexii Antedilluvianovich Prelapsarianov, the oldest living Bolshevik, speaks at length about the importance of Theory when launching a new era. Write an essay about the importance of theory to the central characters of the play. Choose three major characters and analyze the Theory - or lack thereof - that guides them in their actions. Does this Theory ever fail them? Are they searching for something new?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)