|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What addition to the Antarctica of Act 3, Scene 3 confuses Mr. Lies?
2. To what destination does the Homeless Woman give Hannah directions in Act 3, Scene 4?
3. Who does Belize call as soon as he realize Roy Cohn has been admitted?
4. According to Louis in Act 3, Scene 7, what do he and Joe have in common?
5. From what organization is the latter that Roy gives Joe in Act 2, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hannah Pitt react to Joe's late night call to her?
2. What information about Joe does Belize tell Louis in Act 4, Scene 3?
3. How does Roy react to Joe's admission that he is staying with a man in Act 4, Scene 1?
4. Why is Hannah lost in Act 3, Scene 4?
5. How do Prior and Hannah meet the second time?
6. Why is Joe Pitt confused by Louis' invitation to come home with him?
7. Why does Louis criticize Joe's decision on a case that found in favor of a gay soldier?
8. What does Prior tell the Continental Principalities regarding human progress in Act 5, Scene 5?
9. What are Joe and Harper's secrets in Act 1, Scene 8?
10. Describe Joe's interpretation of Jacob and the Angel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louis is a character concerned with self-loathing. Write an essay on the source and progression of this self-hate. From what act does this guilt stem? What does Louis do to try to stem the tide of guilt that threatens to overwhelm him? What expiates Louis from this loathing, and how is he left at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Tony Kushner's play takes place almost entirely in New York City. This is the home of virtually every character, but he also has two other distinct settings that exist in the real world but exist in the play as fantastical realms. Write en essay about these two places. Why does Kushner choose them as fantastical lands? What is different about them? What do they represent?
Part 1) Antarctica
Part 2) San Fransisco
Essay Topic 3
Tony Kushner sets Angels in America during the high-water mark of the Reagan era, when the pursuit of individual success was a central focus in America. Write an essay about Kushner's depiction of the destructiveness of self-interest focusing on three characters:
Part 1) How is the character of Roy Cohn the antithesis of the communitarian worldview? What does he attempt to espouse to the two men he befriends: Joe and Belize? Cite specific statements he makes during the play.
Part 2) How is Joe Pitt a worthy disciple to Roy Cohn's worldview? How does his coming out to Louis and Harper prove to be intensely self-interested? What prevents him from fully enjoying his happiness?
Part 3) To what extent does Joe attempt to win Louis over to the idea that self-interested is the best a person can be? How does Louis react to this, and what happens to the relationship as a result?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)