|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Prior and Louis' cat's name?
2. What is Roy Cohn most proud of in his entire career?
3. Where does Harper think she heard the man with the knife in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What addition to the Antarctica of Act 3, Scene 3 confuses Mr. Lies?
5. According to Prior, of what is Louis incapable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What call does Hannah receive as soon as she arrives at Joe's apartment?
2. How does Roy react to Joe's admission that he is staying with a man in Act 4, Scene 1?
3. What desperate question does Louis Ironson ask Rabbi Chemelwitz?
4. How do Prior and Hannah meet the second time?
5. What is Prior's reaction to Belize's gift in Act 5, Scene 8?
6. What does Roy have to say about a father's love in Act 2, Scene 4?
7. Why does Louis criticize Joe's decision on a case that found in favor of a gay soldier?
8. What request does Prior make of Louis at the end of their pained meeting in Act 4, Scene 1?
9. Why does Harper not want to stay in heaven in Act 5, Scene 2?
10. What offer does Roy Cohn make Joe Pitt in Act 1; Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tony Kushner sets Angels in America during the high-water mark of the Reagan era, when the pursuit of individual success was a central focus in America. Write an essay about Kushner's depiction of the destructiveness of self-interest focusing on three characters:
Part 1) How is the character of Roy Cohn the antithesis of the communitarian worldview? What does he attempt to espouse to the two men he befriends: Joe and Belize? Cite specific statements he makes during the play.
Part 2) How is Joe Pitt a worthy disciple to Roy Cohn's worldview? How does his coming out to Louis and Harper prove to be intensely self-interested? What prevents him from fully enjoying his happiness?
Part 3) To what extent does Joe attempt to win Louis over to the idea that self-interested is the best a person can be? How does Louis react to this, and what happens to the relationship as a result?
Essay Topic 2
Joe Pitt is the most ambiguous figure in the play. He is at once tortured, principled, and selfish. He is a victim and a bully. Write an essay about Kushner's attitude toward Joe. Divide the essay into three sections, focusing first on examples of sympathy for the confused and self-loathing man. The second section should focus on the unsympathetic qualities of Joe's character. The last section should be an opinion as to what Kushner believes about Joe as a person.
Essay Topic 3
The New York of Tony Kushner's play is a city of interlocking relationships that connect everyone to everyone else. Write an essay about the convoluted ways that people find each other and affect each other's lives. Focus on the connection these people have to each other and what they become in each other's presence:
Part 1) Roy and Belize
Part 2) Louis and Joe
Part 3) Hannah and Prior
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)