|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Prior, of what is Louis incapable?
2. Which of the following characters does not appear in Act 2, Scene 9?
3. In what city does the main portion of Act 1, Scene 1 of Perestroika take place?
4. How many bastards have crept into the Prior Walter bloodline, according to Prior 1?
5. In what country does Louis' Act 3, Scene 2, story of about subtle antisemitism abroad take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trick does Roy Cohn play on Ethel Rosenberg at the end of Act 4?
2. How does Alexii Antedilluvianovich Prelapsarianov compare the Theory of the Bolshevik Revolution with the Theory of the present?
3. What desperate question does Louis Ironson ask Rabbi Chemelwitz?
4. Which of Louis' assertions particularly offends Belize in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. How does Louis end up in Prior's bedroom in Act 3, Scene 6?
6. What information about Joe does Belize tell Louis in Act 4, Scene 3?
7. Describe the interchange between Henry and Belize in Act 1, Scene 4?
8. Describe Joe's interpretation of Jacob and the Angel.
9. Why does Harper long for the end of days?
10. What is Louis' point about fear in America at the end of Act 2, Scene 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Louis and Belize are foils to each other in Angels in America. Write an essay about the dynamic that exists between them, focusing on the two long conversations they have and the night in Roy Cohn's hospital room. How are they different, and how are they similar? In what ways does Belize serve as Louis' conscience in these scenes? How does each man change as a result of this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the motivations and objectives of Harper Pitt. Her actions seem kinetic and meaningless to Hannah and Joe, but she is driven by something deep and ingrained in her psyche. What drives Harper to gobble Valium and act madly? Cite statements made both by her and by Joe to examine the meaning behind her madness.
Essay Topic 3
Roy Cohn tells Belize that he can get anyone to do anything for him, but in the beginning of Angels in America he uses deception to try and convince Joe Pitt to do him a favor. Analyze the reason for this deception in an essay in three parts:
Part 1) In the first act of Millennium Approaches, how does Roy present the job opportunity to Joe Pitt? Why should Joe take the job and why is Roy offering it to him?
Part 2) When Martin Heller speaks to Joe Pitt speaks to Joe about joining the Justice Department, what does he talk about? What is the Reagan administration's plan for Justice? How is this supposed to appeal to Joe and convince him to take the job?
Part 3) What is the actual reason that Roy needs Joe Pitt in Justice? When does he decide to tell him the truth? What does this say of Roy's opinion of Joe?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)