|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room of the Brooklyn Federal Court of Appeals does Act 1; Scene 6 take place?
2. What do homosexuals lack, according to Roy?
3. According to Louis in Act 2, Scene 7, what do you have to be willing to do even if you are scared?
4. Why, according to Joe, does he not want to have sex with Harper most days?
5. Of what Bible story was the picture that obsessed Joe at a young age?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Prior Walter's illness progressed over the course of Angels in America?
2. Describe Prior's appearance in Act 2.
3. How does Louis use an explanation of smell in Act 1, Scene 6, as a sexual come-on?
4. Describe Roy in Act 3, Scene 5.
5. Why is Joe Pitt confused by Louis' invitation to come home with him?
6. What diagnosis does Roy demand of his doctor in Act 1, Scene 9, and why?
7. What is the Angel's official edict, and why does she want it delivered to Earth?
8. What does Prior tell the Continental Principalities regarding human progress in Act 5, Scene 5?
9. What are Joe and Harper's secrets in Act 1, Scene 8?
10. To what understanding concerning beliefs do Hannah and Prior come in Act 4, Scene 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angels in America is a play about a world polluted by selfish acts and fear. In this diseased America, two figures emerge as healers and caretakers willing to sacrifice for others in need: Write an essay about these two characters.
Part 1) How does the character of Belize serve as a healing force in the darkest reaches of the play? Examine his relationships with Prior, Louis, and Roy Cohn to determine his beliefs regarding empathy and truth.
Part 2) How does the character of Hannah progress from a caricature to a fully developed and evolving person in the play? Who does she help over the course of Perestroika, and how does she defy the expectations of those around her?
Part 3) Write a summation regarding Hannah and Belize. What do these figures say about Kushner's sense of benevolence and truth in modern-day America?
Essay Topic 2
Joe Pitt is the most ambiguous figure in the play. He is at once tortured, principled, and selfish. He is a victim and a bully. Write an essay about Kushner's attitude toward Joe. Divide the essay into three sections, focusing first on examples of sympathy for the confused and self-loathing man. The second section should focus on the unsympathetic qualities of Joe's character. The last section should be an opinion as to what Kushner believes about Joe as a person.
Essay Topic 3
Tony Kushner's play takes place almost entirely in New York City. This is the home of virtually every character, but he also has two other distinct settings that exist in the real world but exist in the play as fantastical realms. Write en essay about these two places. Why does Kushner choose them as fantastical lands? What is different about them? What do they represent?
Part 1) Antarctica
Part 2) San Fransisco
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)