|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a prediction Harper makes about the coming of the Millennium?
2. How long did Hannah Pitt wait for Joe to pick her up at the airport?
3. In what city does the main portion of Act 1, Scene 1 of Perestroika take place?
4. What is the title of the paperback novel that Belize quotes in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. Which of the following is not a symptom that Prior lists off to Louis in Act 1, Scene 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trick does Roy Cohn play on Ethel Rosenberg at the end of Act 4?
2. What does Martin Heller say is the result of loading the federal courts with conservative judges?
3. What delusions become real for Harper in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What desperate question does Louis Ironson ask Rabbi Chemelwitz?
5. Where is Roy the last time we see him in the play?
6. What does Prior tell the Continental Principalities regarding human progress in Act 5, Scene 5?
7. Describe the setting of the Epilogue.
8. Why is Joe Pitt confused by Louis' invitation to come home with him?
9. What diagnosis does Roy demand of his doctor in Act 1, Scene 9, and why?
10. How does Louis' liaison with the Man in the Park end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roy Cohn tells Belize that he can get anyone to do anything for him, but in the beginning of Angels in America he uses deception to try and convince Joe Pitt to do him a favor. Analyze the reason for this deception in an essay in three parts:
Part 1) In the first act of Millennium Approaches, how does Roy present the job opportunity to Joe Pitt? Why should Joe take the job and why is Roy offering it to him?
Part 2) When Martin Heller speaks to Joe Pitt speaks to Joe about joining the Justice Department, what does he talk about? What is the Reagan administration's plan for Justice? How is this supposed to appeal to Joe and convince him to take the job?
Part 3) What is the actual reason that Roy needs Joe Pitt in Justice? When does he decide to tell him the truth? What does this say of Roy's opinion of Joe?
Essay Topic 2
Louis and Belize are foils to each other in Angels in America. Write an essay about the dynamic that exists between them, focusing on the two long conversations they have and the night in Roy Cohn's hospital room. How are they different, and how are they similar? In what ways does Belize serve as Louis' conscience in these scenes? How does each man change as a result of this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Kushner links many seemingly disparate groups together in his play. He seems to imply that all people that find themselves marginalized by their affiliations are bound in some way. Write an essay about this binding force of exclusion from the mainstream, focusing on the Mormon, Jewish, and homosexual communities. Use examples from the text of members of these groups interacting and finding common ground to support the thesis.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)