|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Prior, of what is Louis incapable?
2. What characteristic of Hannah's does Sister Ella Chapter like most?
3. Which of the following is not a term that Louis uses to describe the lawyers that do not comfort him while he's crying?
4. In what room of the Brooklyn Federal Court of Appeals does Act 1; Scene 6 take place?
5. In what country does Louis' Act 3, Scene 2, story of about subtle antisemitism abroad take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Harper and Prior meet?
2. Why is Joe Pitt confused by Louis' invitation to come home with him?
3. What desperate question does Louis Ironson ask Rabbi Chemelwitz?
4. How does Louis' liaison with the Man in the Park end?
5. What does Prior tell the Continental Principalities regarding human progress in Act 5, Scene 5?
6. What final pearls of wisdom does Roy provide to Joe in Act 5, Scene 4?
7. What is the Angel's official edict, and why does she want it delivered to Earth?
8. How does Louis use an explanation of smell in Act 1, Scene 6, as a sexual come-on?
9. What information about Joe does Belize tell Louis in Act 4, Scene 3?
10. What does Belize warn Roy about regarding his AZT?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angels in America is a celebration of the essential commonality of all people. Write en essay on this theme, focusing on the beleaguered relationships that mature throughout the play. What do Hannah and Prior, Belize and Roy, and others discover about themselves and their supposed foils? Conclude the essay with a statement regarding Kushner's opinion of humanity.
Essay Topic 2
Some critics characterize Angels in America as a magical realist work. In magical realism, the realistic and the paranormal exist at the same time in the narrative. More importantly, though, in a magical realist work the characters accept these paranormal elements without question. Write an essay detailing whether you think Angels in America is a magical realist work. Use specific examples from the text and interpretation of these examples to defend your position.
Essay Topic 3
The New York of Tony Kushner's play is a city of interlocking relationships that connect everyone to everyone else. Write an essay about the convoluted ways that people find each other and affect each other's lives. Focus on the connection these people have to each other and what they become in each other's presence:
Part 1) Roy and Belize
Part 2) Louis and Joe
Part 3) Hannah and Prior
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)