|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does Penryn decide is an oxymoron as she fights the wingless angel in Chapter 8?
(a) "Personal victory."
(b) "Jumbo shrimp."
(c) "Angel of mercy."
(d) "Sympathetic shoulder."
2. When Penryn is captured in Chapter 16, she notes that “Raffe makes a low sound in his throat that reminds me of” what?
(a) "A tiger’s growl."
(b) "A bird’s squawk."
(c) "A hissing snake."
(d) "A dog’s growl."
3. What road does Penryn plan to take into San Francisco in order to avoid highly populated areas as long as possible in Chapter 13?
(a) Paige Mill.
(b) Sunset Boulevard.
(c) Skyline Boulevard.
(d) Willow Street.
4. How old does Penryn say Paige was when she became crippled in Chapter 7?
5. The angel’s sword that Penryn spies by the car where she hides in Chapter 3 is described as having a blade that is how long?
(a) 4 feet long.
(b) 2 feet long.
(c) 3 feet long.
(d) 1 foot long.
6. Penryn says that she found her lock picking set in the bedroom of what in Chapter 15?
(a) A little boy.
(b) A private detective.
(c) A little girl.
(d) A teenager.
7. When Penryn and Raffe find the half-eaten family, Penryn suggests they get out of their surroundings: “We’re in an open field, and I feel as nervous as a field mouse looking at” what?
(a) "The mouth of a lion."
(b) "A cat’s mouth."
(c) "A sky full of hawks."
(d) "A sky full of eagles."
8. In Chapter 16, Penryn narrates, “I've been casually trying to collect information on the angels just in case it might come in handy. The hope of an organized resistance, though, went up in smoke along with” what cities?
(a) "Paris and Rome."
(b) "Las Vegas and New York."
(c) "New York and Washington, D.C."
(d) "San Francisco and Miami."
9. What is Obadiah’s last name in the novel?
10. Where does Penryn put the angel’s sword when she takes him from the scene of his attack and runs off into the night in Chapter 5?
(a) Inside of a hole in a willow tree.
(b) In her backpack.
(c) On the angel's lap.
(d) The seat pocket of the wheelchair.
11. Penryn describes a seven-foot blow up creature by the cubicles in the office building where she hides in Chapter 6. What is the creature?
(a) A giraffe.
(b) A dinosaur.
(c) A gorilla.
(d) An elephant.
12. Penryn says in Chapter 2 that her sister Paige has been a vegetarian since what age?
13. In Chapter 9, Penryn describes the blood seeping through the angel’s bandages as appearing like what kind of patterns on his back?
(a) Rorschach patterns.
(b) Zygote patterns.
(c) Hillerman patterns.
(d) Perennial patterns.
14. Next to the half-eaten family, Penryn discovers a bouquet of what wild sprigs in Chapter 12?
(a) Juniper and hyssop.
(b) Pansies and orchids.
(c) Rosemary and sage.
(d) Daisies and roses.
15. What duty at the camp is Penryn given in Chapter 18?
(a) Laundry duty.
(b) Latrine duty.
(c) Babysitting duty.
(d) Cooking duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Penryn says in Chapter 10, “Giving him a name makes it sound like we’re somehow on the same side, which we can never be. It’s like acknowledging that we could become friends. But that’s not possible. It’s pointless to make friends with” what?
2. Where does Penryn hide her pack and the angel wings as she watches the men take Raffe into the camp in Chapter 15?
3. What California region does Penryn live in with her mother and sister in the beginning of the novel?
4. When the angel with the snowy wings rolls off the crushed car in Chapter 3, Penryn says that his athletic grace reminds her of what animal she once saw on TV?
5. Why is Penryn unable to find a tree to climb to escape the dogs in Chapter 14?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)