|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Siyalo feel about his inability to work?
2. What does Jezile do to make money for her children in Chapter 14?
3. Who finds a lawyer at Jezile and MaBiyela's request?
4. Jezile takes a train to ____ in Chapter 12.
5. What time of year does Jezile have her third child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jezile accept the job as the foreman's wife's servant?
2. Why do the people of the village distrust Counselor Duma?
3. What happens to Jezile and MaBiyela's relationship after Jezile returns from prison?
4. Why does Jezile feel uncomfortable around the white foreman?
5. Why does Jezile desire a home of her own?
6. How does Lungu overcome his disabilities to become a doctor?
7. Why does Jezile feel sad when she looks at S'naye's frilly dress?
8. Describe Lungu.
9. Why does Siyalo want a job so badly?
10. What does Siyalo look like when Jezile first returns from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Writing style is very important with fiction, and And They Didn't Die is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of Lauretta Ngcobo. Address various writing elements such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
One of the dominant themes in And They Didn't Die is that of love. Jezile loves her husband and is loyal to him even though she rarely sees him. She also loves her children and many of the members in her community. Write an essay that explores the theme of love within the context of the story. Why is love important to Jezile? Would she have been able to endure the years of hardship if she did not have love? Why is her love for Siyalo so enduring? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
The conclusion of And They Didn't Die leaves Jezile's fate unknown. She has killed a white man in the defense of her daughter and could possibly face death because of it. Write an essay that explores the conclusion of And They Didn't Die. Is Jezile resigned to her fate? Does she fear the future? What does Siyalo think of her murdering the soldier? Is he proud of his wife for her heroic act? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)