|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Jezile about the road crew that sets up near the village?
2. How does Jezile obtain firewood?
3. Who is the father of Jezile's last child?
4. Where does Jezile go when she first returns home?
5. What happens to S'naye when Ndondo and Jezile leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Siyalo look like when Jezile first returns from prison?
2. Why does Jezile accept the job as the foreman's wife's servant?
3. Why do the soldiers bring the charred bodies of Counselor Duma's family out to the hillside?
4. Why is having multiple babies close together viewed as a bad thing in Jezile's village?
5. Why does Jezile dread Siyalo's return?
6. Why does Jezile desire a home of her own?
7. Why does Jezile feel sad when she looks at S'naye's frilly dress?
8. Describe Lungu.
9. Why do the people of the village distrust Counselor Duma?
10. How does Lungu overcome his disabilities to become a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jezile is the protagonist of And They Didn't Die. She is a strong woman who endures hardships with optimism and few complaints. Write an essay that explores Jezile's identity as a strong feminist character. What sets Jezile apart from the other characters in the story? How is she able to endure hardships and struggle on during the toughest of times? What makes her a good mother to her children? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Jezile has a few friends which she relies on for companionship and support. One of these friends is a woman named Zenzile who dies early on in the story. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the narrative. Who are Jezile's closest friends? What do these women do for a living? Do they have families? Why are friends important to Jezile? In which cases does she rely on them for help and support? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Nosizwe is well respected as a woman of great courage and intelligence. The Jezile and the women of her group look up to her since she is a doctor and a naturally strong leader. Write an essay that explores the character Nosizwe. What makes this character a good leader? What are some of the things Jezile and Nosizwe have in common? How are they alike and different? What happens when Nosizwe is faced with imprisonment for her political beliefs? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)