|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jezile do to make money for her children in Chapter 14?
2. What happens to Jezile while she is living at Potgieter's home?
3. Does Jezile tell Siyalo about her pregnancy as soon as she returns from prison?
4. How long does Jezile work for the road crew?
5. Who is the father of Jezile's last child?
Short Essay Questions
1. List three of the items Jezile most commonly purchases for her family.
2. How do Jezile and the other women feel when they are first released from prison?
3. Why does MaBiyela want Ndondo to be baptized?
4. Why does Jezile work for the road crew and the white foreman?
5. Why does Jezile feel uncomfortable around the white foreman?
6. Describe Potgieter.
7. What does Siyalo look like when Jezile first returns from prison?
8. Describe Siyalo's job after he is released from prison.
9. Why does Jezile feel sad when she looks at S'naye's frilly dress?
10. Why is having multiple babies close together viewed as a bad thing in Jezile's village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much time passes as events unfold in And They Didn't Die. As each season comes and goes, the citizens of Jezile's community are impacted by the changes in temperature and weather. Write an essay that explores the impact weather and time has on Jezile and those around her. Which time of the year is the harshest on the people of the village? Which season is the most forgiving? How are the people of Jezile's community able to endure tough weather and temperature? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Education is hard to come by when people are oppressed. However, Jezile is determined to see her children grow up educated and well-rounded. Write an essay that explores the theme of education and knowledge within the context of the story. How does Jezile prepare her children for entrance into schooling? Where do her children go to school? How does she ensure that they are educated properly? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
One of the things Jezile values most is family. The story opens with Jezile desperate for a child. She gets pregnant only when she takes the initiative to visit her husband in Durban. Write an essay that explains why family is so important to Jezile. Why is she so adamant to become pregnant at the beginning of the story? What does having a family mean to her? Does she ever regret the hardships and sacrifices she endures in order to provide for her children? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)