|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wo claims Jezile is unfaithful to her husband?
2. Siyalo sent to prison for ____ years?
3. Why do Jezile and S'naye travel to Ixopo?
4. What is being stolen from the white man's cows?
5. Why does Jezile worry that she will lose her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does MaBiyela want Ndondo to be baptized?
2. Why is having multiple babies close together viewed as a bad thing in Jezile's village?
3. Why does Nomawa stop by Jezile's house at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Why does Jezile work for the road crew and the white foreman?
5. Why does Jezile feel sad when she looks at S'naye's frilly dress?
6. List three of the clothing items Jezile sews for money.
7. What are the young women in Jezile's village like?
8. Why does Siyalo want a job so badly?
9. Describe Siyalo's job after he is released from prison.
10. List three of the items Jezile most commonly purchases for her family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The culture of Jezile's village is radically different than other locations in the story. The people of Sigageni have their own unique way of living. Write an essay that explores the details of the culture Jezile lives in. How are the people of Sigageni different than those in Durban? How do they dress? Which languages do they speak? What are some of their beliefs? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Sex and sexuality are important to the characters of And They Didn't Die. Though Jezile is not a particularly vain woman, one gets the impression she is beautiful and sexually virile in her youth. Write an essay that explores the themes of sex and sexuality within the context of the story. Why is sex important to Jezile? How does she feel when it comes to her sexuality? Is she comfortable? Does she enjoy the private moments she has with her husband when they try to become pregnant at the beginning of the story? Does he make her feel beautiful? Be sure to provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
The reader is introduced to Jezile's political activity early on in the story. In the face of adversity and an overbearing government, she never backs down. Write an essay that identifies and explores Jezile's stance on politics and society. Why does she protest the laws the government tries to enforce upon her and her people? What are her thoughts on things like the dipping tank and passes? In which instances is she forced to choose between political right and wrong for the greater good? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)