|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Siyalo unable to provide for his family?
2. What is Jezile afraid of when she goes into labor.
3. What do the women do to the passes they already have?
4. What are the living conditions like in the city?
5. Where is Zenzile's husband when Zenzile goes into labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does S'naye look like when she is a baby?
2. Describe Mthebe.
3. Why can Jezile only see Siyalo for a few days out of the year?
4. Why does Jezile feel jealous of Siyalo at the end of Chapter 7?
5. How do the people of the village react to the exile of Chief Siyoka?
6. Why do the women sing hymns while in prison?
7. How do Jezile and the other women feel about passes?
8. How does Jezile feel when she is finally able to love Siyalo in privacy while in Durban?
9. Describe the conditions of Jezile and Siyalo's first night in Durban.
10. Why is Nosizwe separated from the other women while in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jezile has a few friends which she relies on for companionship and support. One of these friends is a woman named Zenzile who dies early on in the story. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the narrative. Who are Jezile's closest friends? What do these women do for a living? Do they have families? Why are friends important to Jezile? In which cases does she rely on them for help and support? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Sex and sexuality are important to the characters of And They Didn't Die. Though Jezile is not a particularly vain woman, one gets the impression she is beautiful and sexually virile in her youth. Write an essay that explores the themes of sex and sexuality within the context of the story. Why is sex important to Jezile? How does she feel when it comes to her sexuality? Is she comfortable? Does she enjoy the private moments she has with her husband when they try to become pregnant at the beginning of the story? Does he make her feel beautiful? Be sure to provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of rape is startlingly present within And They Didn't Die. Jezile is raped by Mr. Potgieter one night after she retires to her room. Women in prison are raped by guards, and Jezile's own daughter is attacked by a white soldier in Jezile's own home. Write an essay that explains the role rape plays within the context of the story. How does the act of rape impact the lives of the women who live through it? How are these women changed? What does Jezile do when she sees her own daughter being attacked? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)