|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the BAD officials make carry passes?
2. Why does Nosizwe lecture Jezile?
3. How does MaBiyela feel after the birth of her first grandchild?
4. How does Siyalo feel about Jezile's prison sentence?
5. Where does Zenzile want to go when her labor begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jezile and the other women feel about passes?
2. Why does Jezile travel to Ixopo at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. What are Zenzile's feelings about pregnancy?
4. Describe MaBiyela.
5. How does Jezile feel when she is finally able to love Siyalo in privacy while in Durban?
6. Describe Nosizwe.
7. Why does Jezile have a difficult time doing her duties?
8. Describe the conditions of Jezile and Siyalo's first night in Durban.
9. What are the officials of BAD like?
10. How do women in Jezile's village typically give birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jezile has a few friends which she relies on for companionship and support. One of these friends is a woman named Zenzile who dies early on in the story. Write an essay that explores the theme of friendship within the context of the narrative. Who are Jezile's closest friends? What do these women do for a living? Do they have families? Why are friends important to Jezile? In which cases does she rely on them for help and support? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Violence is an prevalent theme in And They Didn't Die. Surprisingly it does not all come from one source. Both the government and the people being oppressed lash out with violence in order to be heard. Write an essay that explores the theme of violence within the context of the story. Why do the people of the village believe violence is necessary? Why does the government attempt to use violence to subdue resistant residents? What are some of the most violent events from the story, and why are they important to the plot? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The conclusion of And They Didn't Die leaves Jezile's fate unknown. She has killed a white man in the defense of her daughter and could possibly face death because of it. Write an essay that explores the conclusion of And They Didn't Die. Is Jezile resigned to her fate? Does she fear the future? What does Siyalo think of her murdering the soldier? Is he proud of his wife for her heroic act? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)