|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Siyalo become depressed after the rainfall?
(a) Because Jezile is arrested once more.
(b) Because Mthebe comes home from the city.
(c) Because he is unable to plant and sustain crops.
(d) Because Jezile miscarries her child.
2. Who finds a lawyer at Jezile and MaBiyela's request?
(b) Counselor Duma.
3. Why is the military called to the village?
(a) Because of a protest against taxation.
(b) Because of the women's rights protests.
(c) Because of the house burnings.
(d) Because Jezile called them.
4. What time of year does Jezile have her third child?
5. Jezile takes a train to ____ in Chapter 12.
(b) Cape Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jezile become afraid to return home?
2. How does Potgieter's wife treat Jezile when they first meet?
3. What is The Mountain Committee?
4. Who do the people no longer trust by Chapter 11?
5. How does Jezile get land of her own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jezile and the other women feel when they are first released from prison?
2. How does Jezile react to seeing S'naye's condition after she returns from prison?
3. Why does Jezile dread Siyalo's return?
4. Why does Jezile feel shamed of her second pregnancy?
5. List three of the items Jezile most commonly purchases for her family.
6. Describe Lungu.
7. What does Siyalo look like when Jezile first returns from prison?
8. Why do the people of the village distrust Counselor Duma?
9. Why does Nomawa stop by Jezile's house at the beginning of Chapter 12?
10. Why does Jezile accept the job as the foreman's wife's servant?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)