|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the children find the sack full of pictures in "The Portrait"?
2. One of the unnamed characters curses the life of the migrant workers in "When We Arrive." Where does this character say he will go to get a job as soon as the truck unloads?
3. What city is the truck close to when it breaks down in "When We Arrive"?
4. When does the narrator say Dona Maria decided to buy something for her children in "The Night Before Christmas"?
5. What color shoes does the man from San Antonio wear in "Out"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the narrator been unable to sleep the night before in "First Communion"?
2. What is remarked about the protagonist as he walks away in "Under the House"?
3. Why does Dona Maria become panicked when she goes shopping for toys in "The Night Before Christmas"?
4. Where are the photographs discovered by the children in "The Portrait"? What does this discovery mean?
5. Who do the characters surmise probably turned Figueroa in, in "They Let Figueroa Out..."?
6. How is the information relayed to the reader largely in "The Night the Lights Went Out"? Why do you think the author chooses this narrative style?
7. What is said of Dona Cuquita in "Under the House"?
8. Who is Ramiro and what role does he play in the plot of "The Night the Lights Went Out"?
9. How is the narrative of "Under the House" related? Why do you think the author chooses this narrative style?
10. Where do the children stay when the Garcias go to work in "The Little Burnt Victims"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's inclusion of "vignettes" throughout And the Earth Did Not Devour Him. What is illustrated through these vignettes? How do these vignettes shape the mood and tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is the protagonist of "First Communion" affected by what he sees in the window of the cleaners? How does this reaction reflect upon his actions as the story goes on? What do you think this implies about the character?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the protagonist of "A Silvery Night" hope to summon the devil? How does he go about doing so? What does he make of the events after he summons the devil?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)