|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the unnamed characters curses the life of the migrant workers in "When We Arrive." Where does this character say he will go to get a job as soon as the truck unloads?
2. At whose house does Don Mateo stay when he goes to find the man who swindled him in "The Portrait"?
3. What color does the portrait salesman suggest making the uniform in "The Portrait"?
4. For how long does Ramon go away to work and not see his girlfriend in "Out"?
5. About how many people are traveling in the trailer when the truck breaks down in "When We Arrive"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Don Efrain and Dona Chona described in "The Little Burnt Victims"?
2. Where do the portrait sellers come from in "The Portrait"? Why?
3. Who buys a portrait in "The Portrait"? Who is the portrait of?
4. What is said of Dona Cuquita in "Under the House"?
5. Why does Bartolo pass through town every December?
6. How does one character describe the clerk's response when he ordered hamburgers in "When We Arrive"? Why did the clerk have this response?
7. Who is Ramiro and what role does he play in the plot of "The Night the Lights Went Out"?
8. Why does one of the workers hope to get a job in Minneapolis in "When We Arrive"?
9. What has caused the accident in "A Little Before Six..."? How many are killed as a result of the accident?
10. Who do the characters surmise probably turned Figueroa in, in "They Let Figueroa Out..."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the father obsessed with boxing in "The Little Burnt Victims"? What symbolism is associated with this obsession in the story? What becomes of the Garcia family?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dona Maria become disoriented when she goes shopping in "The Night Before Christmas"? How does she respond to the situation? What is the outcome of her actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist as he is observed in "Under the House." How old do you perceive the character as being at this point in the novel? What does the mother remark about him? What does he remark about himself?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)