|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dona Chona says of her children in "The Little Burnt Victims" that the older they get the more what they become?
2. About how many people are traveling in the trailer when the truck breaks down in "When We Arrive"?
3. What is the movie about that the Garcia family has just seen at the theater in "The Little Burnt Victims"?
4. The truck driver in "When We Arrive" says that as soon as he drops these people off, he's going to see how things go hauling what?
5. What does the protagonist recall his father telling him stories about at night in "Under the House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the portrait sellers come from in "The Portrait"? Why?
2. What has caused the accident in "A Little Before Six..."? How many are killed as a result of the accident?
3. Why does one of the workers hope to get a job in Minneapolis in "When We Arrive"?
4. How is the narrative of "Under the House" related? Why do you think the author chooses this narrative style?
5. What is said of Dona Cuquita in "Under the House"?
6. Why is the protagonist under the house in "Under the House"?
7. How does the fire start in "The Little Burnt Victims"?
8. Where are the photographs discovered by the children in "The Portrait"? What does this discovery mean?
9. Why has the narrator been unable to sleep the night before in "First Communion"?
10. How is the narrative related in "When We Arrive"? Why do you think the author has chosen this narrative style?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens to the owner of the farm in "The Children Couldn't Wait"? Why does he come to this transition? What is remarked about the farmer later in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the language style of And the Earth Did Not Devour Him. What are examples of idioms or localized accents that are demonstrated in the novel? How does the characters' dialogue differ from the main text?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dona Maria become disoriented when she goes shopping in "The Night Before Christmas"? How does she respond to the situation? What is the outcome of her actions?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)