|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator say that Napoleon's troops suffered a defeat against Mexican soldiers in "Under the House"?
2. Who is the man that Ramon's girlfriend starts seeing while he is away in "Out"?
3. How much copper does the narrator say they collected the day before in "Under the House"?
4. Where up north does Dona Maria's family go yearly in "The Night Before Christmas"?
5. What is the movie about that the Garcia family has just seen at the theater in "The Little Burnt Victims"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dona Maria decide to get her children toys for Christmas in "The Night Before Christmas"?
2. Where do the children stay when the Garcias go to work in "The Little Burnt Victims"? Why?
3. Why does Dona Maria become panicked when she goes shopping for toys in "The Night Before Christmas"?
4. Why is Dona Maria arrested in "The Night Before Christmas"? How does she get out of jail?
5. How does the fire start in "The Little Burnt Victims"?
6. Where do the portrait sellers come from in "The Portrait"? Why?
7. How is the information relayed to the reader largely in "The Night the Lights Went Out"? Why do you think the author chooses this narrative style?
8. Why does one of the workers hope to get a job in Minneapolis in "When We Arrive"?
9. Who do the characters surmise probably turned Figueroa in, in "They Let Figueroa Out..."?
10. How does Ramon feel about his girlfriend in "The Night the Lights Went Out"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens to Ramon in "The Night the Lights Went Out"? How does he come to this fate? Do you think that he is justified in his actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the woman praying for in "A Prayer"? Why? What is revealed about this character through her words and actions in this chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Don Laito and Dona Bone in "Hand in His Pocket." How are these characters perceived by the community? What observations does the narrator make about these characters? Would you consider these characters protagonists or antagonists? Why?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)