|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Utah describe as being in "Comadre, Do You All Plan to Go to Utah?"
(b) South Dakota.
2. What does the narrator's father want him to be when he grows up in "It's That It Hurts"?
(a) A telephone operator.
(b) A cotton farmer.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A banker.
3. What does the narrator describe the protagonist feeling when he saw his mother crying for his uncle and aunt in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
(a) Happiness and peace.
(c) Hate and anger.
(d) Grief and sorrow.
4. How long ago was it when a badger got into a neighbor's home in "A Silvery Night"?
(a) Two years ago.
(b) Six months ago.
(c) Three years ago.
(d) On year ago.
5. What word from "It's That It Hurts" refers to a white person from an English-speaking country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist's mother say she has given is father all day in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
2. At what time does the narrator leave his home in "A Silvery Night"?
3. What does Dad describe the women picking lice as looking like in "It's That It Hurts"?
4. What is the name of the woman's son who has been listed as MIA in "She Had Fallen Asleep..."?
5. What did Don Laito and Dona Bone say they were building when they had the narrator dig a hole in "Hand in His Pocket"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the farmer hold off from firing the laborers for taking water in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
2. What does the minister promise to the workers in "One Afternoon a Minister..."?
3. Why has the narrator been expelled from school in "It's That It Hurts"?
4. From what narrative perspective is "A Silvery Night" related? Why do you think the author chose this perspective?
5. Why does the protagonist sneak out of his home in "A Silvery Night"?
6. What is a "vignette" and how would you describe the vignettes in And the Earth Did Not Devour Him?
7. Who is Dona Cuquita and how is she described in "It's That It Hurts"?
8. What does the grandson say he wants most in life in "A Stroke Left the Grandfather Paralyzed..."? How does the grandfather respond?
9. How are Dona Bone and Don Laito perceived by their community?
10. How is the narrator coerced into keeping their secret in "Hand in His Pocket"?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)