|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the protagonist's mother say she has given is father all day in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
(b) Chicken broth.
2. Whose son was pierced by a bullet in "A Prayer"?
(a) Dona Andrea's son.
(b) Dona Virginia's son.
(c) Dona Maria's son.
(d) Dona Bone's son.
3. How long ago was it when a badger got into a neighbor's home in "A Silvery Night"?
(a) Six months ago.
(b) On year ago.
(c) Two years ago.
(d) Three years ago.
4. Why is the narrator upset that Don Laito and Dona Bone made him work in the yard?
(a) His brother was allowed to work in the house.
(b) It was too hot outside.
(c) His dad had payed his board.
(d) The paid him only 50 cents per day.
5. What is Dona Bone's real name, according to the narrator in "Hand in His Pocket"?
(a) Dona Bonifacia.
(b) Dona Andreas.
(c) Dona Julio.
(d) Dona Ramiro.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the son tell his father that the working conditions were always better in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
2. Where have the protagonist's aunt and uncle been sent in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
3. What does the narrator say the janitor used to scare him with during the fight in "It's That It Hurts"?
4. With whom does the narrator hope to go to the dump with in "It's That It Hurts"?
5. When describing the first fight he ever had at school in "It's That It Hurts," the narrator says that they started pushing him toward whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does the woman pray in "A Prayer"? Why?
2. Why does the unnamed character say he does not plan to go to Utah in "Comadre, Do You All Plan to Go to Utah?"
3. What is a "vignette" and how would you describe the vignettes in And the Earth Did Not Devour Him?
4. Why does the "wetback" start coming to see Dona Bone in "Hand in His Pocket"?
5. How has the protagonist's father gotten ill in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"? What symptoms does he exhibit?
6. What does the protagonist hide from his mother in "What His Mother Never Knew..."?
7. When does the narrator say that the protagonist first felt anger in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
8. Why has the narrator been expelled from school in "It's That It Hurts"?
9. Who is Dona Cuquita and how is she described in "It's That It Hurts"?
10. Why does the farmer hold off from firing the laborers for taking water in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)