|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator describe Dad coming home from in "It's That It Hurts"?
(a) The church.
(b) The fields.
(c) The shopping center.
(d) The bank.
2. Into whose home did a badger get into, according to the father in "A Silvery Night"?
(a) The Garcias' home.
(b) The Marquez's home.
(c) The Ramirez's home.
(d) The Flores' home.
3. What is Don Laito's real name, according to the narrator in "Hand in His Pocket"?
(a) Don Marquez.
(b) Don Julio.
(c) Don Hilario.
(d) Don Ramiro.
4. The does the narrator say the central figure in "The Lost Year" does when his mind goes blank?
(a) He goes to sleep.
(b) He calls his father.
(c) He writes poetry.
(d) He sings a tune.
5. What does the narrator describe the protagonist feeling when he saw his mother crying for his uncle and aunt in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
(a) Happiness and peace.
(b) Grief and sorrow.
(c) Hate and anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the minister have a man come to teach the workers at the farm in "One Afternoon a Minister..."?
2. For how long does the narrator say he had to live with Don Laito and Dona Bone until school ended in "Hand in His Pocket"?
3. Where was the protagonist taken to the shepherds plays in "A Silvery Night"?
4. At what shrines does the mother claim she has made promises in "A Prayer"?
5. What is the protagonist's father afflicted with in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist respond to his mother's prayers in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"?
2. Where is the location of Utah described in "Comadre, Do You All Plan to Go to Utah?"
3. How does the narrator describe his humiliation upon arriving at the new school in "It's That It Hurts"?
4. Why has the mother gone to see the fortune teller in "She Had Fallen Asleep Right Away..."?
5. What does the woman present as a trade in "A Prayer"?
6. What is the boy's plan for getting water from the tank unnoticed in "The Children Couldn't Wait"?
7. What does the grandson say he wants most in life in "A Stroke Left the Grandfather Paralyzed..."? How does the grandfather respond?
8. What happens to the protagonist's younger brother in "And the Earth Did Not Devour Him"? How does he respond?
9. Why does the narrator stop eating sweet breads in "Hand in His Pocket"?
10. Why does the "wetback" start coming to see Dona Bone in "Hand in His Pocket"?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)