"The Lost Year"
• NOTE: Citations in this Lesson Plan refer to the following version of the novel: And the Earth Did Not Devour Him, English and Spanish Edition. Translation by Evangelina Vigil-Pinon. Turtleback Books, 1987. School and Library Binding.
• And the Earth Did Not Devour Him is divided into 14 chapters with a brief vignette following all but the final chapter.
• In the first chapter, “The Lost Year,” a third-person narrator introduces the reader to an unnamed protagonist who finds himself at a loss for words and memories.
• The protagonist wonders who calls his name but turning around, realizes that he had called himself.
• The vignette that follows this chapter is titled “What His Mother Never Knew…”
• This brief vignette, narrated again by a third-person narrator, describes a boy whose mother always puts a glass of water under his bed for the spirits.
• The boy always drinks the water and...
This section contains 3,107 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)