|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did his stay at Lukachukai affect Set?
2. How does Lola Bourne feel in the Mottledmare home?
3. What did the bear do that was unusual?
4. How does Grey feel during the heavy rainstorms of the plains?
5. What was the last dream of Koi-ehm-toya's great-great-grandson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Names play an important role in this story. Describe the significance of names in this story, paying particular attention to the unnamed boy and Grey's bestowal of names on herself and Dog. Use quotations from the book to support your idea.
Essay Topic 2
Explain which purpose Momaday had in mind as he wrote. Was his purpose to inform, to entertain, or to persuade? Why do you think so? Was he successful in achieving his purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Momaday is a poet as well as a novelist, and many of the passages in this story are poetic. What makes poetry? Select three or four passages that you believe show characteristics of poetry and tell why you think so in each case.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)