|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Worcester Meat think he will live?
2. What did the bear do that was unusual?
3. Who helps Milo Mottledmare transport Worcester Meat?
4. What was the last dream of Koi-ehm-toya's great-great-grandson?
5. What does Grey do to prepare for her life with Set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Grey closes one calendar and opens another in Chapter Eleven of Book Two. What do these different calendars represent?
2. What is the vision that Set hopes to see?
3. What characteristic does Grey say is shared by her mother and her sister and her niece?
4. How does Worcester Meat feel when he dies?
5. Why does Set enter his old house with dread?
6. What does Set mean when he tells Lela that the bear stands against him, and that he is the bear?
7. In Chapter Twelve, Grey does something that has been important to her for the last time. What is it?
8. How does Grey feel about herself during her pregnancy?
9. How does Set's art change as his personality begins to disintegrate?
10. In his old age, what is the last thing that the shield maker dreams? Why is this dream of his significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is a theme in this story. Describe the various ways in which death comes to characters in the story, noting especially the conversation about dying properly between Set-Angya and Billy the Kid. What is a "proper" death? Which characters die properly? Which do not?
Essay Topic 2
Both Set and Grey express themselves through art: Set as a painter and Grey as a writer. Write an essay analyzing the way each expresses himself or herself as it changes through the story. As you catalog the changes, determine whether you think each will continue to practice their painting and writing in the future. If so, do you think they will share their work with others? What do you make of the fact that their great-great grandson is an artist, a maker of shields?
Essay Topic 3
How does the girl Grey view the power of her sexuality? How does the woman Grey change? In your essay, analyze Grey's changing attitude toward sex.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)