|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had caused Set's breakdown, according to the hospital?
2. What did the old man say the child must be if not a bear?
3. Why does Lola Bourne find it easy to relinquish Set to Grey?
4. What change comes to Grey in the summer?
5. Why did the old wanderers consider the plains the most sacred of sacred grounds?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Momaday's use of time. For example, many Native American customs cause the reader to think of the past, but that thought will be jarred by the mention of a modern actor, car, or TV program. What point do you think the author is trying to make by using time in such fluid ways?
Essay Topic 2
Death is a theme in this story. Describe the various ways in which death comes to characters in the story, noting especially the conversation about dying properly between Set-Angya and Billy the Kid. What is a "proper" death? Which characters die properly? Which do not?
Essay Topic 3
Both Set and Grey come from more than one ancestral background. Discuss the similarities and differences between the families of each. Use direct quotations and examples from the story to support each point.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)