|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Set look for after the vision of Bent leaves him?
2. What change comes over Grey at her mother's house?
3. What happens in California while Set is in Paris?
4. How do the hospital staff treat Set?
5. What word does Set thinks best describes Grey's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Twelve, Grey does something that has been important to her for the last time. What is it?
2. What does Grey see of Set beyond his physical appearance?
3. How does Grey feel about herself during her pregnancy?
4. What is unusual about the death of Worcester Meat?
5. Why does Set enter his old house with dread?
6. How does Worcester Meat feel when he dies?
7. What is the vision that Set hopes to see?
8. Who becomes the maker of shields?
9. Who is the boy that Set sees and hears in the garden of his old house?
10. In his old age, what is the last thing that the shield maker dreams? Why is this dream of his significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Billy the Kid has such fascination for the young Grey that she swoons and can't eat when she reads about him. What is it that intrigues Grey about Billy the Kid? What do you learn about her from the fantasies she enacts with him? Do these fantasies change as the story progresses? Write an essay analyzing the significance of Billy the Kid to Grey and to the story as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Death is a theme in this story. Describe the various ways in which death comes to characters in the story, noting especially the conversation about dying properly between Set-Angya and Billy the Kid. What is a "proper" death? Which characters die properly? Which do not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain which purpose Momaday had in mind as he wrote. Was his purpose to inform, to entertain, or to persuade? Why do you think so? Was he successful in achieving his purpose?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)