|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Set know where to go to begin his quest for a vision?
2. What did the Kiowa call the rent they charged for use of Indian land?
3. What increases the bond between Set and Grey?
4. Where does Worcester Meat go after he has been sick for sixteen days?
5. What does Billy the Kid bring to Sitting Bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grey feel at once humbled and important when she thinks of Set?
2. What does Set feel as he opens the medicine bundle?
3. What understanding about Set does Lola Bourne come to while he is hospitalized?
4. What is unusual about the death of Worcester Meat?
5. What is the vision that Set hopes to see?
6. What is the Kaitsenko Society?
7. Grey closes one calendar and opens another in Chapter Eleven of Book Two. What do these different calendars represent?
8. What does Set mean when he tells Lela that the bear stands against him, and that he is the bear?
9. How does Grey know that Set will act in the proper way?
10. Who is the boy that Set sees and hears in the garden of his old house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Momaday is a poet as well as a novelist, and many of the passages in this story are poetic. What makes poetry? Select three or four passages that you believe show characteristics of poetry and tell why you think so in each case.
Essay Topic 2
Centaurs are mentioned in this story by Alais Sancerre and by Lola Bourne. Reread the passages about Set's art work using centaurs. What do you think they represent in this story? Support your idea with quotations and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Death is a theme in this story. Describe the various ways in which death comes to characters in the story, noting especially the conversation about dying properly between Set-Angya and Billy the Kid. What is a "proper" death? Which characters die properly? Which do not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)