|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alais Sancerre notice about Set's body after they have slept together?
2. What does Set look for after the vision of Bent leaves him?
3. What did the old man say the child must be if not a bear?
4. How does Lola Bourne feel in the Mottledmare home?
5. How do Grey and Set marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Set mean when he tells Lela that the bear stands against him, and that he is the bear?
2. What is the vision that Set hopes to see?
3. What is the Kaitsenko Society?
4. How does Set respond to the hospital staff's diagnosis and explanations of his condition?
5. How does Grey know that Set will act in the proper way?
6. For what does Grey thank Lola Bourne?
7. Why did the native people move south into the great plains?
8. Grey closes one calendar and opens another in Chapter Eleven of Book Two. What do these different calendars represent?
9. What do the lines on the red earth represent?
10. What is unusual about the death of Worcester Meat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Set and Grey come from more than one ancestral background. Discuss the similarities and differences between the families of each. Use direct quotations and examples from the story to support each point.
Essay Topic 2
Grey's dialogues with Billy the Kid seem very different from her conversations in real life. Using examples, compare and contrast the Grey of her outlaw fantasies with the real girl. What do these differences tell you about her?
Essay Topic 3
Explain which purpose Momaday had in mind as he wrote. Was his purpose to inform, to entertain, or to persuade? Why do you think so? Was he successful in achieving his purpose?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)