|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Set look for after the vision of Bent leaves him?
2. Where does Worcester Meat go after he has been sick for sixteen days?
3. What does Billy the Kid do to prepare for his conversation with Sitting Bear?
4. What does Lola Bourne do with her letter to Set?
5. What does Alais Sancerre notice about Set's body after they have slept together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grey feel at once humbled and important when she thinks of Set?
2. What did every people who inhabited the great plains find there?
3. Why were the Piegan people unable to believe in the child?
4. What do the lines on the red earth represent?
5. As Grey changes from a girl to a woman, how does Set's attitude toward her change?
6. How does Grey know that Set will act in the proper way?
7. What is unusual about the death of Worcester Meat?
8. Who becomes the maker of shields?
9. Why does each man of the Plains Indians look upon Tsoai first thing each morning?
10. Who is the boy that Set sees and hears in the garden of his old house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the girl Grey view the power of her sexuality? How does the woman Grey change? In your essay, analyze Grey's changing attitude toward sex.
Essay Topic 2
Both Set and Grey come from more than one ancestral background. Discuss the similarities and differences between the families of each. Use direct quotations and examples from the story to support each point.
Essay Topic 3
Momaday is a poet as well as a novelist, and many of the passages in this story are poetic. What makes poetry? Select three or four passages that you believe show characteristics of poetry and tell why you think so in each case.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)