|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quality did the Kiowas have that the Navajo did not approve?
2. Who is Koi-ehm-toya?
3. Why does Grey think she is beautiful?
4. How did his stay at Lukachukai affect Set?
5. What does Lola Bourne do with her letter to Set?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grey feel about herself during her pregnancy?
2. Grey closes one calendar and opens another in Chapter Eleven of Book Two. What do these different calendars represent?
3. How does Set respond to the hospital staff's diagnosis and explanations of his condition?
4. In Chapter Twelve, Grey does something that has been important to her for the last time. What is it?
5. For what does Grey thank Lola Bourne?
6. Who becomes the maker of shields?
7. What is the vision that Set hopes to see?
8. Why does each man of the Plains Indians look upon Tsoai first thing each morning?
9. What characteristic does Grey say is shared by her mother and her sister and her niece?
10. Why did the native people move south into the great plains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Names play an important role in this story. Describe the significance of names in this story, paying particular attention to the unnamed boy and Grey's bestowal of names on herself and Dog. Use quotations from the book to support your idea.
Essay Topic 2
Death is a theme in this story. Describe the various ways in which death comes to characters in the story, noting especially the conversation about dying properly between Set-Angya and Billy the Kid. What is a "proper" death? Which characters die properly? Which do not?
Essay Topic 3
The book begins with a section called "Planes," then a section called "Lines," then "Shapes," and ultimately, "Shadows." What do you think this geometrical view of the world represents? Use quotations from the story to support your point of view.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)