|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Set returns to his adoptive father Bent's house, who does he see at first in his mind's eye?
2. Why does Grey think she is beautiful?
3. What did the ancient Native Americans call the plains?
4. What does Dr. Terriman say about Lola Bourne''s ability to help Set?
5. How does Lola Bourne feel in the Mottledmare home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grey feel about herself during her pregnancy?
2. For what does Grey thank Lola Bourne?
3. How does Worcester Meat feel when he dies?
4. What does Set mean when he tells Lela that the bear stands against him, and that he is the bear?
5. In Chapter Twelve, Grey does something that has been important to her for the last time. What is it?
6. What is unusual about the death of Worcester Meat?
7. What did every people who inhabited the great plains find there?
8. What is the Kaitsenko Society?
9. Why does Grey feel at once humbled and important when she thinks of Set?
10. How does Grey know that Set will act in the proper way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Set and Grey express themselves through art: Set as a painter and Grey as a writer. Write an essay analyzing the way each expresses himself or herself as it changes through the story. As you catalog the changes, determine whether you think each will continue to practice their painting and writing in the future. If so, do you think they will share their work with others? What do you make of the fact that their great-great grandson is an artist, a maker of shields?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the differences in communication styles between Native Americans as viewed in this story and members of the mainstream culture. Find examples in the story to demonstrate cultural differences in communication.
Essay Topic 3
How does the girl Grey view the power of her sexuality? How does the woman Grey change? In your essay, analyze Grey's changing attitude toward sex.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)