|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Terriman say about Lola Bourne''s ability to help Set?
2. What does Lola Bourne do with her letter to Set?
3. Why did the old wanderers consider the plains the most sacred of sacred grounds?
4. What does Grey do to prepare for her life with Set?
5. How long does Worcester Meat think he will live?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Twelve, Grey does something that has been important to her for the last time. What is it?
2. Why did the native people move south into the great plains?
3. Who is the boy that Set sees and hears in the garden of his old house?
4. What does Set feel as he opens the medicine bundle?
5. Why does Set enter his old house with dread?
6. What does Set mean when he tells Lela that the bear stands against him, and that he is the bear?
7. How does Set's art change as his personality begins to disintegrate?
8. How does Grey feel about herself during her pregnancy?
9. What is the setting where Set begins his vision quest?
10. What understanding about Set does Lola Bourne come to while he is hospitalized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grey's dialogues with Billy the Kid seem very different from her conversations in real life. Using examples, compare and contrast the Grey of her outlaw fantasies with the real girl. What do these differences tell you about her?
Essay Topic 2
Every author has a philosophical basis as well as a cultural one for the stories that he chooses to tell. Based on this story, examine what you think are Momaday's deeply-held beliefs about what is important in life. Justify your opinion with quotations and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
How does the girl Grey view the power of her sexuality? How does the woman Grey change? In your essay, analyze Grey's changing attitude toward sex.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)