|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Set hesitate to answer the telephone?
2. What does Grey imagine she gave Billy the Kid in jail?
3. Who does Murphy think he sounds like when he talks?
4. According to the Ethnographic Dictionary of Navajo language, why are astrological pursuits often associated with witchcraft?
5. Where does Grey imagine she met Billy the Kid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What feelings do the sisters experience as their brother turns into a bear?
2. Dwight Dicks and his son Murphy are discussing an event, and there is a menace among their words. What event are they discussing in Chapter Eighteen of Book One and why is there menace?
3. Why doesn't Paulita Maxwell weep?
4. Set is taught in school that art is resistance. But he doesn't believe it. How does Set define art?
5. The bear comes forth in planes, Dog is seen by Grey as standing in a plane, and Set's mind is perceived in planes. What are planes in this context?
6. What passion did Grey acquire from Perfecto Atole?
7. Why did Kope'mah experience loneliness as a medicine woman?
8. What does Koi-ehm-toya see as her responsibility to the children who wander into the woods?
9. Why was it better for the Piegan people to believe that the boy was a bear than that he was a boy?
10. Who first let Grey know that the bear was coming into her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the girl Grey view the power of her sexuality? How does the woman Grey change? In your essay, analyze Grey's changing attitude toward sex.
Essay Topic 2
Both Set and Grey come from more than one ancestral background. Discuss the similarities and differences between the families of each. Use direct quotations and examples from the story to support each point.
Essay Topic 3
Names play an important role in this story. Describe the significance of names in this story, paying particular attention to the unnamed boy and Grey's bestowal of names on herself and Dog. Use quotations from the book to support your idea.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)