|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Grey grow up speaking?
2. How did the townspeople react to Billy's escape?
3. What color is the medicine bundle?
4. What does Jason love best?
5. What is "Indian time?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What do masks represent to Grey as she makes them?
2. How can you tell that Dog belongs to Grey?
3. What does Lola Bourne see in the painting "Night Window Man" that Set himself does not see?
4. What is the darkest power that Set has encountered? What would he have called this power if he had encountered it in another time and place?
5. What feelings do the sisters experience as their brother turns into a bear?
6. How does Set define art as he struggles with his reflection in the mirror?
7. Set is taught in school that art is resistance. But he doesn't believe it. How does Set define art?
8. Why did the parents of the lost children decide not to grieve for them?
9. What is the purpose that Grey must serve in this chapter, although she is weary and hurt? What would she rather do?
10. What passion did Grey acquire from Perfecto Atole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myths and legends are told through the generations for teaching purposes. The fact that this story ends with Set and Grey's great-great-grandson indicates that their story is part of that march of time. Briefly rewrite the story of Set as a Native American legend.
Essay Topic 2
Explain which purpose Momaday had in mind as he wrote. Was his purpose to inform, to entertain, or to persuade? Why do you think so? Was he successful in achieving his purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Masks are an important theme in this story. Where/how are masks seen in this book? Are masks symbolic in this story? What do they represent? Use quotations and examples from the story to support your idea about masks in this book.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)