|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Set feel as he comes to the Indian encampment?
2. What expression does Grey learn was found in Billy the Kid's eyes?
3. What does Jason love best?
4. How old is Murphy Dicks?
5. Who told Set the story of the boy who turns into a bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kope'mah experience loneliness as a medicine woman?
2. What does Lola Bourne see in the painting "Night Window Man" that Set himself does not see?
3. Why did the parents of the lost children decide not to grieve for them?
4. Why does Billy the Kid visit Grey while she tends the dying Kope'mah?
5. What was Set's first real notion of the infinite?
6. What passion did Grey acquire from Perfecto Atole?
7. What does Set think is the most wonderful of God's creations?
8. Why was it better for the Piegan people to believe that the boy was a bear than that he was a boy?
9. Why is it that Grey never has to quest after visions?
10. Dwight Dicks and his son Murphy are discussing an event, and there is a menace among their words. What event are they discussing in Chapter Eighteen of Book One and why is there menace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Centaurs are mentioned in this story by Alais Sancerre and by Lola Bourne. Reread the passages about Set's art work using centaurs. What do you think they represent in this story? Support your idea with quotations and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Grey's dialogues with Billy the Kid seem very different from her conversations in real life. Using examples, compare and contrast the Grey of her outlaw fantasies with the real girl. What do these differences tell you about her?
Essay Topic 3
Momaday is a poet as well as a novelist, and many of the passages in this story are poetic. What makes poetry? Select three or four passages that you believe show characteristics of poetry and tell why you think so in each case.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)