Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lola Bourne say she expects when she looks at the painting of the Night Window Man?
2. How old is Set?
3. What does Set feel as he accepts the medicine bundle?
4. Why did the singing and dancing among the Kiowa end?
5. How old was Set when his mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Grey changes from a girl to a woman, how does Set's attitude toward her change?
2. Why was it better for the Piegan people to believe that the boy was a bear than that he was a boy?
3. What is the setting where Set begins his vision quest?
4. What does Lola Bourne see in the painting "Night Window Man" that Set himself does not see?
5. Why does Set enter his old house with dread?
6. Why did Kope'mah experience loneliness as a medicine woman?
7. Why were the Piegan people unable to believe in the child?
8. Who first let Grey know that the bear was coming into her life?
9. What do the lines on the red earth represent?
10. How does Set respond to the hospital staff's diagnosis and explanations of his condition?
Both Set and Grey come from more than one ancestral background. Discuss the similarities and differences between the families of each. Use direct quotations and examples from the story to support each point.
Billy the Kid has such fascination for the young Grey that she swoons and can't eat when she reads about him. What is it that intrigues Grey about Billy the Kid? What do you learn about her from the fantasies she enacts with him? Do these fantasies change as the story progresses? Write an essay analyzing the significance of Billy the Kid to Grey and to the story as a whole.
Death is a theme in this story. Describe the various ways in which death comes to characters in the story, noting especially the conversation about dying properly between Set-Angya and Billy the Kid. What is a "proper" death? Which characters die properly? Which do not?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)