|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Grey?
2. Who does Murphy think he sounds like when he talks?
3. How did Billy the Kid feel after shooting the two men?
4. What did the wise man advise the Piegan people to do about the disappearing boy?
5. What happened after the strange boy appeared and disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lola Bourne see in the painting "Night Window Man" that Set himself does not see?
2. Why did Kope'mah experience loneliness as a medicine woman?
3. Why does Billy the Kid visit Grey while she tends the dying Kope'mah?
4. What comes to nothing in Chapter Twenty of Book One? Why does everything feel pointless to Set as he considers his pilgrimage home?
5. Why did the parents of the lost children decide not to grieve for them?
6. What is the darkest power that Set has encountered? What would he have called this power if he had encountered it in another time and place?
7. Who is the mother and who is the child in Chapter Twelve of Book One?
8. What does Set think is the most wonderful of God's creations?
9. Set is taught in school that art is resistance. But he doesn't believe it. How does Set define art?
10. Why doesn't Paulita Maxwell weep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In her childhood, Grey sees a Kiowa doll that she feels represents an important part of herself. Later, she sees a Navajo doll that seems to represent another aspect of herself. What does the Kiowa doll represent to Grey? What does the Navajo doll represent? Compare and contrast the different aspects of Kiowa and Navajo culture in Grey's life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the birth of Grey and Set's child. Include details from the story and try to make predictions based on the known details. For instance, if the child is a boy, what do you think they will name him, and why? If it is a girl, what do you think they will name her and why? What kind of education do you think they will want for their child? How do you think they will celebrate the birth? Where do you think they will live? Remember to have plausible justification for each of your story elements.
Essay Topic 3
Death is a theme in this story. Describe the various ways in which death comes to characters in the story, noting especially the conversation about dying properly between Set-Angya and Billy the Kid. What is a "proper" death? Which characters die properly? Which do not?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)