|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motivated Set to compromise his artistic vision?
2. Who is Loki?
3. Who was the only member of the tribe to grieve the loss of the children who had disappeared?
4. How does Borges tell us myth relates to literature?
5. What does Set feel as he accepts the medicine bundle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Murphy Dicks feel ashamed when he talks to Grey?
2. Why does Billy the Kid visit Grey while she tends the dying Kope'mah?
3. How does Set define art as he struggles with his reflection in the mirror?
4. Why doesn't Paulita Maxwell weep?
5. How can you tell that Dog belongs to Grey?
6. At the Mottledmares', Set has a dream that he is deprived of a power that seems to him important. What does he dream he cannot do?
7. How does Grey feel about her appearance?
8. The bear comes forth in planes, Dog is seen by Grey as standing in a plane, and Set's mind is perceived in planes. What are planes in this context?
9. What do masks represent to Grey as she makes them?
10. What was Set's first real notion of the infinite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the differences in communication styles between Native Americans as viewed in this story and members of the mainstream culture. Find examples in the story to demonstrate cultural differences in communication.
Essay Topic 2
Explain which purpose Momaday had in mind as he wrote. Was his purpose to inform, to entertain, or to persuade? Why do you think so? Was he successful in achieving his purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Both Set and Grey come from more than one ancestral background. Discuss the similarities and differences between the families of each. Use direct quotations and examples from the story to support each point.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)