|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Billy the Kid return as promised?
2. Why does Koi-ehm-toya think her people have grown careless?
3. What surprised Kope'mah as a child when she watched buffalo with her father?
4. Why does Set hesitate to answer the telephone?
5. What passion had Perfecto Atole given Grey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the darkest power that Set has encountered? What would he have called this power if he had encountered it in another time and place?
2. What does Lola Bourne see in the painting "Night Window Man" that Set himself does not see?
3. The bear comes forth in planes, Dog is seen by Grey as standing in a plane, and Set's mind is perceived in planes. What are planes in this context?
4. Why did the parents of the lost children decide not to grieve for them?
5. How does Grey feel about her appearance?
6. Dwight Dicks and his son Murphy are discussing an event, and there is a menace among their words. What event are they discussing in Chapter Eighteen of Book One and why is there menace?
7. How do the Native Americans let the summer go?
8. Who first let Grey know that the bear was coming into her life?
9. What is the unanswered question, "Quien es?" in Chapter One of Book One?
10. What is the purpose that Grey must serve in this chapter, although she is weary and hurt? What would she rather do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death is a theme in this story. Describe the various ways in which death comes to characters in the story, noting especially the conversation about dying properly between Set-Angya and Billy the Kid. What is a "proper" death? Which characters die properly? Which do not?
Essay Topic 2
Both Set and Grey express themselves through art: Set as a painter and Grey as a writer. Write an essay analyzing the way each expresses himself or herself as it changes through the story. As you catalog the changes, determine whether you think each will continue to practice their painting and writing in the future. If so, do you think they will share their work with others? What do you make of the fact that their great-great grandson is an artist, a maker of shields?
Essay Topic 3
Names play an important role in this story. Describe the significance of names in this story, paying particular attention to the unnamed boy and Grey's bestowal of names on herself and Dog. Use quotations from the book to support your idea.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)