Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lola Bourne say she expects when she looks at the painting of the Night Window Man?
2. How old is Set?
3. What does Set feel as he accepts the medicine bundle?
4. Why did the singing and dancing among the Kiowa end?
5. How old was Set when his mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Grey changes from a girl to a woman, how does Set's attitude toward her change?
2. Why was it better for the Piegan people to believe that the boy was a bear than that he was a boy?
3. What is the setting where Set begins his vision quest?
4. What does Lola Bourne see in the painting "Night Window Man" that Set himself does not see?
5. Why does Set enter his old house with dread?
6. Why did Kope'mah experience loneliness as a medicine woman?
7. Why were the Piegan people unable to believe in the child?
8. Who first let Grey know that the bear was coming into her life?
9. What do the lines on the red earth represent?
10. How does Set respond to the hospital staff's diagnosis and explanations of his condition?
Explain which purpose Momaday had in mind as he wrote. Was his purpose to inform, to entertain, or to persuade? Why do you think so? Was he successful in achieving his purpose?
Names play an important role in this story. Describe the significance of names in this story, paying particular attention to the unnamed boy and Grey's bestowal of names on herself and Dog. Use quotations from the book to support your idea.
Momaday is a poet as well as a novelist, and many of the passages in this story are poetic. What makes poetry? Select three or four passages that you believe show characteristics of poetry and tell why you think so in each case.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)