|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the townspeople react to Billy's escape?
2. How old is Grey?
3. Who is the only fictitious character in Grey's vision of helping Billy the Kid escape from jail?
4. Who does Grey want to imitate as a rider?
5. What does Set feel as he accepts the medicine bundle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What passion did Grey acquire from Perfecto Atole?
2. What feelings do the sisters experience as their brother turns into a bear?
3. How does Grey feel about her appearance?
4. Dwight Dicks and his son Murphy are discussing an event, and there is a menace among their words. What event are they discussing in Chapter Eighteen of Book One and why is there menace?
5. What does Set think is the most wonderful of God's creations?
6. Why was it better for the Piegan people to believe that the boy was a bear than that he was a boy?
7. What is the darkest power that Set has encountered? What would he have called this power if he had encountered it in another time and place?
8. Who is the mother and who is the child in Chapter Twelve of Book One?
9. What is the purpose that Grey must serve in this chapter, although she is weary and hurt? What would she rather do?
10. Set is taught in school that art is resistance. But he doesn't believe it. How does Set define art?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The horse Dog has significance in this story. Why is he important? What do we learn about Grey from Dog's response to her and from her dealings with him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Momaday's use of time. For example, many Native American customs cause the reader to think of the past, but that thought will be jarred by the mention of a modern actor, car, or TV program. What point do you think the author is trying to make by using time in such fluid ways?
Essay Topic 3
How does the girl Grey view the power of her sexuality? How does the woman Grey change? In your essay, analyze Grey's changing attitude toward sex.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)