|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the townspeople react to Billy's escape?
2. Why did Kope'mah feel little respect for her son Worcester?
3. What passion had Perfecto Atole given Grey?
4. What does Lola Bourne say she expects when she looks at the painting of the Night Window Man?
5. What prize had Momaday won when he wrote this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. The bear comes forth in planes, Dog is seen by Grey as standing in a plane, and Set's mind is perceived in planes. What are planes in this context?
2. Set is taught in school that art is resistance. But he doesn't believe it. How does Set define art?
3. How do the Native Americans let the summer go?
4. Why doesn't Paulita Maxwell weep?
5. Why does Billy the Kid visit Grey while she tends the dying Kope'mah?
6. What is the darkest power that Set has encountered? What would he have called this power if he had encountered it in another time and place?
7. What comes to nothing in Chapter Twenty of Book One? Why does everything feel pointless to Set as he considers his pilgrimage home?
8. What does Grey want her grandmother to tell her about Set?
9. How does Grey feel about her appearance?
10. What passion did Grey acquire from Perfecto Atole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grey's dialogues with Billy the Kid seem very different from her conversations in real life. Using examples, compare and contrast the Grey of her outlaw fantasies with the real girl. What do these differences tell you about her?
Essay Topic 2
How does the girl Grey view the power of her sexuality? How does the woman Grey change? In your essay, analyze Grey's changing attitude toward sex.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the birth of Grey and Set's child. Include details from the story and try to make predictions based on the known details. For instance, if the child is a boy, what do you think they will name him, and why? If it is a girl, what do you think they will name her and why? What kind of education do you think they will want for their child? How do you think they will celebrate the birth? Where do you think they will live? Remember to have plausible justification for each of your story elements.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)