|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the townspeople react to Billy's escape?
2. What caused the butterflies to swarm up from the grass?
3. What is the strange, disinterested figure who approaches Kope'mah?
4. What was the name of the first painting Lola Bourne bought from Set?
5. Why doesn't Jason want to display the painting Lola Bourne buys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Set's first real notion of the infinite?
2. Why does Murphy Dicks feel ashamed when he talks to Grey?
3. What characteristic does Grey say is shared by her mother and her sister and her niece?
4. What passion did Grey acquire from Perfecto Atole?
5. For what does Grey thank Lola Bourne?
6. As Grey changes from a girl to a woman, how does Set's attitude toward her change?
7. What does Grey see of Set beyond his physical appearance?
8. What feelings do the sisters experience as their brother turns into a bear?
9. How does Worcester Meat feel when he dies?
10. How can you tell that Dog belongs to Grey?
Essay Topic 1
How does the girl Grey view the power of her sexuality? How does the woman Grey change? In your essay, analyze Grey's changing attitude toward sex.
Essay Topic 2
The book begins with a section called "Planes," then a section called "Lines," then "Shapes," and ultimately, "Shadows." What do you think this geometrical view of the world represents? Use quotations from the story to support your point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Momaday's use of time. For example, many Native American customs cause the reader to think of the past, but that thought will be jarred by the mention of a modern actor, car, or TV program. What point do you think the author is trying to make by using time in such fluid ways?
This section contains 1,519 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)