|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Set think that Grey has more than beauty?
2. Who is Luke?
3. Why was Jessie Mottledmare jealous of Grey?
4. Who is Henry McCarty?
5. How old is Set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the darkest power that Set has encountered? What would he have called this power if he had encountered it in another time and place?
2. What do masks represent to Grey as she makes them?
3. What does Koi-ehm-toya see as her responsibility to the children who wander into the woods?
4. Why did Kope'mah experience loneliness as a medicine woman?
5. The bear comes forth in planes, Dog is seen by Grey as standing in a plane, and Set's mind is perceived in planes. What are planes in this context?
6. Why does Billy the Kid visit Grey while she tends the dying Kope'mah?
7. What was Set's first real notion of the infinite?
8. Dwight Dicks and his son Murphy are discussing an event, and there is a menace among their words. What event are they discussing in Chapter Eighteen of Book One and why is there menace?
9. Why doesn't Paulita Maxwell weep?
10. Why was it better for the Piegan people to believe that the boy was a bear than that he was a boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the differences in communication styles between Native Americans as viewed in this story and members of the mainstream culture. Find examples in the story to demonstrate cultural differences in communication.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the birth of Grey and Set's child. Include details from the story and try to make predictions based on the known details. For instance, if the child is a boy, what do you think they will name him, and why? If it is a girl, what do you think they will name her and why? What kind of education do you think they will want for their child? How do you think they will celebrate the birth? Where do you think they will live? Remember to have plausible justification for each of your story elements.
Essay Topic 3
Momaday is a poet as well as a novelist, and many of the passages in this story are poetic. What makes poetry? Select three or four passages that you believe show characteristics of poetry and tell why you think so in each case.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)