|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise had Grey made that preys on Set?
(a) She would teach him to ride.
(b) She would tell him about his parents.
(c) She would teach him Kiowa stories.
(d) She had something important to give him.
2. What was the name of the first painting Lola Bourne bought from Set?
(a) "Window in the Dark."
(b) "Night Window Man."
(c) "Girl on Horseback."
(d) "Centaur in the Dark."
3. What made Grey's great-grandmother, Kope'mah, into a medicine woman?
(a) She had a vision of the bear.
(b) She saw Tai-me, the sacred Sun Dance doll.
(c) She danced in a Sun Dance.
(d) She was voted upon by the tribe.
4. Who is Loki?
(a) A horse.
(b) The child Set.
(c) A dog.
(d) A Kiowa boy.
5. Who told Set the story of the boy who turns into a bear?
(a) Sister Stella Francesca.
(b) His father, Cate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Dwight Dicks use to mean "excellent?"
2. Why did the Kiowa doll fascinate Grey?
3. In the Kiowa myth, why are the boy's sisters running from him?
4. What prize had Momaday won when he wrote this book?
5. Who does Grey want to imitate as a rider?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comes to nothing in Chapter Twenty of Book One? Why does everything feel pointless to Set as he considers his pilgrimage home?
2. How does Set define art as he struggles with his reflection in the mirror?
3. What does Grey want her grandmother to tell her about Set?
4. What passion did Grey acquire from Perfecto Atole?
5. What is the darkest power that Set has encountered? What would he have called this power if he had encountered it in another time and place?
6. Why did the parents of the lost children decide not to grieve for them?
7. Set is taught in school that art is resistance. But he doesn't believe it. How does Set define art?
8. What was Set's first real notion of the infinite?
9. What does Lola Bourne see in the painting "Night Window Man" that Set himself does not see?
10. What do masks represent to Grey as she makes them?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)