|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the only member of the tribe to grieve the loss of the children who had disappeared?
(a) The strangers.
(b) The medicine man.
(c) The parents.
2. Where does Grey imagine she met Billy the Kid?
(a) On horseback.
(b) At the outhouse.
(c) In jail.
(d) In the courthouse.
3. Why did the Kiowa doll fascinate Grey?
(a) She felt it was more beautiful than she.
(b) She felt it represented part of herself.
(c) She felt it represented a world she didn't understand.
(d) She felt it represented an unknown culture.
4. Why does Set hesitate to answer the telephone?
(a) He doesn't want to tell the story of the bear.
(b) He doesn't want to speak to anyone.
(c) He is not absolutely sure that he can speak.
(d) He doesn't want to confess that he is sick.
5. What word does Dwight Dicks use to mean "excellent?"
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Ethnographic Dictionary of Navajo language, why are astrological pursuits often associated with witchcraft?
2. What expression does Grey learn was found in Billy the Kid's eyes?
3. What made Grey's great-grandmother, Kope'mah, into a medicine woman?
4. What was the name of the first painting Lola Bourne bought from Set?
5. What is Billy the Kid's mood in Grey's vision of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Set think is the most wonderful of God's creations?
2. Who first let Grey know that the bear was coming into her life?
3. The bear comes forth in planes, Dog is seen by Grey as standing in a plane, and Set's mind is perceived in planes. What are planes in this context?
4. How can you tell that Dog belongs to Grey?
5. What feelings do the sisters experience as their brother turns into a bear?
6. What does Koi-ehm-toya see as her responsibility to the children who wander into the woods?
7. At the Mottledmares', Set has a dream that he is deprived of a power that seems to him important. What does he dream he cannot do?
8. Why does Billy the Kid visit Grey while she tends the dying Kope'mah?
9. What do masks represent to Grey as she makes them?
10. Why was it better for the Piegan people to believe that the boy was a bear than that he was a boy?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)