|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Set so startled when he meets Grey at the encampment?
(a) She is not interested in him.
(b) She is hostile.
(c) She is like a boy.
(d) She is beautiful.
2. Where does Set go when he wakes up in Mottledmares' house?
(a) To Grey's house.
(b) To the creek.
(c) To Kope'mah's grave.
(d) To Catlin Setmaunt's grave.
3. What was the name of the first painting Lola Bourne bought from Set?
(a) "Night Window Man."
(b) "Window in the Dark."
(c) "Girl on Horseback."
(d) "Centaur in the Dark."
4. What two cultures combine in Grey?
(a) Navajo and Cree.
(b) Blackfoot and Nez Perce.
(c) Kiowa and Navajo.
(d) Kiowa and Sioux.
5. According to the Ethnographic Dictionary of Navajo language, why are astrological pursuits often associated with witchcraft?
(a) They require the slaughter of animals.
(b) They require weird ingredients.
(c) They require one who is consecrated to the task.
(d) They require solitude and darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Set when his father died?
2. How old is Murphy Dicks?
3. In the Kiowa myth, why are the boy's sisters running from him?
4. Why was Jessie Mottledmare jealous of Grey?
5. Why was the Piegan camp troubled when the unknown boy came to their camp, then disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lola Bourne see in the painting "Night Window Man" that Set himself does not see?
2. Why doesn't Paulita Maxwell weep?
3. What does Koi-ehm-toya see as her responsibility to the children who wander into the woods?
4. Why is it that Grey never has to quest after visions?
5. Set is taught in school that art is resistance. But he doesn't believe it. How does Set define art?
6. Why does Set repeatedly ask Bent to be his father?
7. How can you tell that Dog belongs to Grey?
8. What feelings do the sisters experience as their brother turns into a bear?
9. What do masks represent to Grey as she makes them?
10. Why did the parents of the lost children decide not to grieve for them?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)