|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Set feel as he picks up the bear's paw?
(a) A wild curiosity.
(b) An urgent restlessness.
(c) A calm serenity.
(d) A secure strength.
2. What relief does Lola Bourne get from writing her letter to Set?
(a) A sense of satisfaction.
(b) A sense of bewilderment.
(c) No relief.
(d) Some relief.
3. How did the Kiowa learn of the Piegan story?
(a) They traded stories with Piegan traders.
(b) They captured a Piegan woman who told it.
(c) They made friends with some Piegan who told it.
(d) A Kiowa hunter married a Piegan woman who told the story.
4. What does Set find in his old bedroom?
(a) His early trophies.
(b) His early yearbooks.
(c) His early drawings.
(d) His early photos.
5. How does Grey feel during the heavy rainstorms of the plains?
(b) Small and helpless.
6. What does the boy leave behind him?
(a) No sound at all.
(b) The sound of his running.
(c) The sound of his laughter.
(d) The sound of his crying.
7. The plains are a perfect equation of what two elements?
(a) Freedom and space.
(b) Native Americans and settlers.
(c) Distance and time.
(d) Darkness and light.
8. Why does Grey think she is beautiful?
(a) Because she is Native American.
(b) Because she is healthy and young.
(c) Because she is tall and slim.
(d) Because she is strong and restless.
9. What word does Set thinks best describes Grey's personality?
10. What quality did the Kiowas have that the Navajo did not approve?
11. What did people who came later find the early tribes had left on the plains?
(a) Cultivated crops.
(c) Charred wood and bones.
(d) Tamed animals.
12. Who killed Billy the Kid?
(a) Pat Garrett.
(b) A rancher named Wilcox.
(c) Charlie Bowdre.
(d) A Texas ranger.
13. What change comes over Grey at her mother's house?
(a) She becomes lazy and childlike.
(b) She feels less sure of herself.
(c) She becomes restless and wild.
(d) She changes from a girl to a woman.
14. What brings Set the greatest happiness he has known?
(a) Realizing that he is a bear.
(b) Realizing that he is free to grow.
(c) Realizing that Grey belongs to him.
(d) Realizing that his talent is unrestrained.
15. What does Billy the Kid do to prepare for his conversation with Sitting Bear?
(a) Buys a speech.
(b) Writes a speech.
(c) Invents a speech.
(d) Memorizes a speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the old man say the child must be if not a bear?
2. What does Lela say has made Set sick?
3. Who helps Milo Mottledmare transport Worcester Meat?
4. How does Worcester Meat feel as his life ends?
5. What ceremony does Grey perform in the Kiowa way?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)