|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Grey and Set see in the masks of the dancers?
(b) The gods.
(d) The future.
2. Where does Koi-ehm-toya's great-great-grandson see Tsoai?
(a) In his mind's eye.
(b) In his front yard.
(c) In his heart.
(d) From the window of his hogan.
3. The plains are a perfect equation of what two elements?
(a) Freedom and space.
(b) Native Americans and settlers.
(c) Darkness and light.
(d) Distance and time.
4. What does Dr. Terriman discuss with Set?
(b) Native American folk music.
(d) Set's art.
5. Why couldn't the plains have an ordinary place name?
(a) They were too boring.
(b) They were too frightening.
(c) They were too vast.
(d) They were too flat.
6. How do Grey and Set marry?
(a) At the county courthouse.
(b) In a modern ceremony in the desert.
(c) In Las Vegas.
(d) In a traditional ceremony in the hogan.
7. Where does Worcester Meat go after he has been sick for sixteen days?
(a) To the bed where Kope'mah died.
(b) To the forest.
(c) Home to his little house.
(d) To the hospital.
8. What does Grey believe will bring Set to her?
(a) His need for understanding of his culture.
(b) His Kiowa blood.
(c) The medicine bundle.
(d) The sheer strength of her will.
9. What does Dr. Terriman say about Lola Bourne''s ability to help Set?
(a) Your love is powerful enough to cure him.
(b) Love will see him through.
(c) Love is all you need.
(d) The love of 100 women would not be enough.
10. Why does Set's chart say that he is capable of violence?
(a) Set kicked a doctor.
(b) Set attacked Dr. Terriman with a vase.
(c) Set hit a nurse.
(d) Set screamed at the hospital staff.
11. What did people who came later find the early tribes had left on the plains?
(a) Tamed animals.
(b) Cultivated crops.
(d) Charred wood and bones.
12. Why does Lola Bourne think she cannot help Set?
(a) She can't tolerate his situation.
(b) She can't understand his situation.
(c) She can't devote her life to his recovery.
(d) She can't forgive his selfishness.
13. Why does Billy the Kid feel unable to talk to Sitting Bear?
(a) Billy the Kid is ashamed of his life.
(b) Billy the Kid has few words.
(c) Billy the Kid is not honest.
(d) Billy the Kid has commited great crimes.
14. As Set grows stronger, what does he begin to do?
15. What change comes over Grey at her mother's house?
(a) She changes from a girl to a woman.
(b) She becomes restless and wild.
(c) She feels less sure of herself.
(d) She becomes lazy and childlike.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grey feel during the heavy rainstorms of the plains?
2. Why did the Piegan people decide not to believe in the child who disappeared?
3. What change comes to Grey in the summer?
4. What did the Kiowa call the rent they charged for use of Indian land?
5. What did the old man say the child must be if not a bear?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)