|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grey do at about the same time she acquired Dog?
(a) Won twenty-eight barrel races.
(b) Learned the Pony Express mount.
(c) Proclaimed herself mayor of Bote, Oklahoma.
(d) Tied thirteen calves in record time.
2. What color is the medicine bundle?
3. Who does Set hope to astonish with his painting?
(a) Art critics.
4. What does Alais Sancerre see in the painting "Venture Beyond Time"?
(a) Set himself.
(b) A centaur.
(c) A dwarf.
5. Why does Koi-ehm-toya think her people have grown careless?
(a) No one accompanied the children.
(b) No one is worried about the children's safety.
(c) They allow children to wander in the woods.
(d) They force children to forage for food.
6. How does the author describe Kiowa life in the summertime?
(a) It was dirty and ignorant.
(b) It was idyllic.
(c) It was frightening.
(d) It was deprived.
7. Who is the only fictitious character in Grey's vision of helping Billy the Kid escape from jail?
(b) Billy the Kid.
(c) J.W. Bell.
(d) Bob Olinger.
8. What differentiates Set from the man he sees in the mirror?
(a) The image in the glass is a portrait.
(b) Set's right eye is his left eye.
(c) The image in the glass will not move.
(d) The image in the glass seems older.
9. What caused the butterflies to swarm up from the grass?
(a) Grey running.
(b) The flight of an eagle.
(c) Dog running.
(d) Kope-mah's chanting.
10. What is "Indian time?"
(a) There is no such thing as time.
(b) Everyone is late.
(c) Things happen as they happen.
(d) Daylight Savings Time.
11. What does Grey go to the cemetery to ask her grandmother about Set?
(a) Will he return?
(b) Is he the bear?
(c) Is he the one for me?
(d) Is he related to us?
12. According to the Ethnographic Dictionary of Navajo language, why are astrological pursuits often associated with witchcraft?
(a) They require weird ingredients.
(b) They require the slaughter of animals.
(c) They require one who is consecrated to the task.
(d) They require solitude and darkness.
13. Which tribe's myth forms the basis of this story?
14. What does Lola Bourne say she expects when she looks at the painting of the Night Window Man?
(a) That the man in the painting will have been transformed.
(b) That the man in the paintingwill be appreciated by critics.
(c) That the man in the painting will be better lighted.
(d) That the painting will be worth a great deal of money.
15. Who does Grey want to imitate as a rider?
(a) Billy the Kid.
(b) Bertha Yazzie.
(d) Jessie Mottledmare.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Billy the Kid feel after shooting the two men?
2. How old is Grey?
3. How did the townspeople react to Billy's escape?
4. How does Grey react to the news that the bear is coming?
5. In the Kiowa myth, why are the boy's sisters running from him?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)