|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Set go when he wakes up in Mottledmares' house?
(a) To Catlin Setmaunt's grave.
(b) To Kope'mah's grave.
(c) To the creek.
(d) To Grey's house.
2. What does Set think that Grey has more than beauty?
(a) She is graceful.
(b) She is infinitely interesting.
(c) She is childlike.
(d) She is intelligent.
3. How old is Murphy Dicks?
4. How did Koi-ehm-toya know the children were not foraging for food?
(a) They were too young to forage.
(b) There was plenty of food in the camp.
(c) They were running, not walking.
(d) No one had called them to hunt for food.
5. What differentiates Set from the man he sees in the mirror?
(a) The image in the glass will not move.
(b) The image in the glass is a portrait.
(c) The image in the glass seems older.
(d) Set's right eye is his left eye.
6. How does Murphy lose his horse?
(a) He sells it to Grey.
(b) He loses it on a bet.
(c) It runs away from him.
(d) He trades it for sex with Grey.
7. Who is Luke?
(a) A dog.
(b) A Kiowa boy.
(c) A horse.
(d) A child.
8. How does Murphy feel after he has lost the horse?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is heartbroken.
(c) He is ashamed.
(d) He is confused.
9. Who is the only fictitious character in Grey's vision of helping Billy the Kid escape from jail?
(b) J.W. Bell.
(c) Bob Olinger.
(d) Billy the Kid.
10. Why did Kope'mah feel little respect for her son Worcester?
(a) He was violent.
(b) He was arrogant and rude.
(c) He was passionate and wild.
(d) He was careless and dispassionate.
11. With whose death does the story begin?
(a) Pete Maxwell.
(b) Alejandro Segura.
(c) Billy the Kid.
(d) John Poe.
12. Why does Set hesitate to answer the telephone?
(a) He is not absolutely sure that he can speak.
(b) He doesn't want to speak to anyone.
(c) He doesn't want to tell the story of the bear.
(d) He doesn't want to confess that he is sick.
13. Why was Jessie Mottledmare jealous of Grey?
(a) Because Grey was more beautiful.
(b) Because Billy the Kid knew Grey.
(c) Because Kope'mah confided in Grey.
(d) Because Grey had the honor of caring for Kope'mah.
14. How old is Grey?
15. What prize had Momaday won when he wrote this book?
(a) The American Book Award.
(b) The Nobel Prize for Literature.
(c) The Pulitzer Prize.
(d) The National Book Award.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the Piegan camp troubled when the unknown boy came to their camp, then disappeared?
2. Who tells Grey that the bear is coming?
3. How does Grey feel about the horse she names Dog?
4. Where does Grey imagine she met Billy the Kid?
5. According to the Ethnographic Dictionary of Navajo language, why are astrological pursuits often associated with witchcraft?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)