Front Matter and Prologue | Book 1, Chapter 1, Paulita Maxwell Does Not Weep
* The author explains that the actual characters in this story are put to fictitious use.
* Myth will be the beginning and end of this story.
* The characters are explained.
* The myth of Tsoai is briefly told: a boy turns into a bear, and his sisters run from him and become the seven stars in the Big Dipper.
* A Navajo quotation explains that astrological pursuits are not witchcraft and require special ingredients.
* Paulita Maxwell witnesses the murder of Billy the Kid.
Book 1, Chapter 2, Somewhere a Raven Calls | Book 1, Chapter 3, The Next Moment Is Forever to Come
* The boy who has become a bear chases his sisters who love him and fear him.
* Grey imagines that she has visited Billy the Kid in jail and told him in the outhouse she hid a gun, which he later uses to...
This section contains 1,973 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)