|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sondra want Clyde to visit her in a few weeks time?
2. How far does Mason say Clyde had to swim ashore?
3. How many witnesses testify to Roberta's character?
4. What does the defense call Clyde?
5. What is the nationality of the first person killed during Clyde's stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel depicts the American dream going badly wrong. What do you think is the American dream? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the American dream? How does the American dream affect the mindset of American society?
Essay Topic 2
An American tragedy is written in a naturalistic style.
1) What are the elements of a naturalistic style?
2) Why do you think Dreiser uses a naturalistic style for this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Clyde cannot resist women. Why do you think he is so weak in this regard? How do you think it affects his judgment?
This section contains 173 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)