|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clyde's mother also blame for her sons sins?
2. What is Clyde's part of the prison called?
3. What is the name of the Aldens neighbors?
4. Which two families leave town for two weeks?
5. Where does Charles bury his tripod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clyde kills Roberta because he desperately wants to be part of the upperclass. How different do you think the lives of the upper class and working classes were? Can you understand why Clyde was so desperate to escape his impoverished background?
Essay Topic 2
An American Tragedy ends as it started with the Griffith family preaching on the streets with their young grandson Russell. What do you think will happen to Russell in the future? In what way can Mrs. Griffith stop Russell from turning out like Clyde? How important is a child's upbringing?
Essay Topic 3
An American tragedy is written in a naturalistic style.
1) What are the elements of a naturalistic style?
2) Why do you think Dreiser uses a naturalistic style for this novel?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)