|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Roberta planning to visit her relative?
2. What is Clyde's part of the prison called?
3. What does the Judge deny the defense?
4. Where do the Aldens live?
5. What is Jephson's first name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mason uses the trial to enhance his political reputation while the defense makes up elaborate lies to persuade the jury to find Clyde innocent. How accurate do you think Dreiser's depiction of American justice is? Do you think it is a negative or positive portrayal or simply realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Both Clyde and Roberta are restricted by their moral upbringings. Using two examples from the book discuss how their upbringings affect their decisions in the book. Do you think their moral upbringings were more destructive than helpful?
Essay Topic 3
The novel depicts the class system in America in the twenties.
1) How and why was life changing for the working classes in twenties America? How difficult was it for a member of the working classes to make an impact on society?
2) What were the role of the upper classes in twenties America? How much control did they have?
3) Do you think there is still a recognizable class system in America? In what ways has it changed?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)