|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Roberta's new landlady?
2. Why does Clyde feel intimidated at the party?
3. What does Sondra make for Clyde in chapter 32?
4. Where does Clyde find employment when he is 16?
5. Where is the party Sondra invites Clyde to go to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roberta's moral upbringing affect her relationship with Clyde?
2. Why does the Samuel Griffith family refuse Clyde's insanity plea?
3. How does Roberta feel about Clyde's new friends?
4. In what way are Clyde's faults exposed in chapter 9, book two?
5. Why does Clyde appeal to Sondra?
6. How does Dreiser show Clyde and Roberta's fragmented thoughts?
7. What are Clyde's parents opinion on his new job?
8. How has Clyde's behavior affected those around him?
9. How has the accident in Kansas City changed Clyde for the better?
10. Why does the Governor grant Clyde a hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clyde cannot resist women. Why do you think he is so weak in this regard? How do you think it affects his judgment?
Essay Topic 2
The book ends with Clyde being executed. What are your views on capital punishment? Why do you think society has become less tolerant of capital punishment?
Essay Topic 3
An American is a famous book which has greatly influenced popular culture. Choose a film or book written after An American Tragedy that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of a) plot b) character c) themes.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)