|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town did Roberta first find a job in?
2. What is the name of Roberta's new landlady?
3. What kind of shop does Short own?
4. How much do the pills that Clyde buys cost?
5. Which of the Griffith's does Clyde fail to make an impression on?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the final chapter replay the opening chapter?
2. How do Clyde and Roberta get over their moral upbringings?
3. How does Jephson boost Clyde's courage?
4. What two taboos does Dreiser address in book 2, chapter 37?
5. How does Clyde's legal team begin their defense?
6. Describe Roberta and Clyde's day out in chapter 18, book 2.
7. How has the accident in Kansas City changed Clyde for the better?
8. How has Clyde reacted to killing Roberta?
9. How do social mores and class structure hold Clyde back?
10. How does Roberta feel about Clyde's new friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Clyde and Roberta.
1) What is their relationship with their parents?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they were the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Dreiser use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Clyde kills Roberta because he desperately wants to be part of the upperclass. How different do you think the lives of the upper class and working classes were? Can you understand why Clyde was so desperate to escape his impoverished background?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)