|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Roberta's behavior remind Clyde of?
2. Who invites Clyde into her car?
3. What is the name of Clyde's rich uncle?
4. Whose house does Clyde start spending time at?
5. Where does Clyde take Roberta for her abortion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clyde befriend Miller Nicholson?
2. Describe the death house.
3. How does Clyde try to appeal to his rich friends?
4. How has the accident in Kansas City changed Clyde for the better?
5. How does Clyde react to the news Roberta is pregnant?
6. What impression does Clyde give to the onlookers?
7. What are Clyde's main worries?
8. Why does Sparser drive at such a careless speed?
9. In what way does Clyde's behavior reflect American society?
10. How do Clyde and Roberta get over their moral upbringings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clyde kills Roberta because he desperately wants to be part of the upperclass. How different do you think the lives of the upper class and working classes were? Can you understand why Clyde was so desperate to escape his impoverished background?
Essay Topic 2
An American Tragedy is what is known as the great American novel. What is meant by the term great American novel? Are there any conventions of a great American novel? What other great American novels are there? What ideas and conventions do they share with an American Tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Roberta tries and fails to get an abortion, partly because society sees abortion as immoral. What are your views on abortion? Why do you think society has become more accepting of abortion?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)