|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel does Clyde finds a job?
2. Who does Roberta say Clyde is attracted to?
3. What is the name of the Griffith's mission?
4. Where do the Griffith family perform their daily evangelism?
5. Where does the Griffith family want to set up its next mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mason ask for a special session of the grand jury?
2. How do the two letters show the difference between Sondra and Roberta?
3. What important decision does Clyde make in chapter 40, book 2?
4. What are Clyde's main worries?
5. How do Clyde and Roberta get over their moral upbringings?
6. Describe how Clyde kills Roberta.
7. In what way are Clyde's faults exposed in chapter 9, book two?
8. How so the strict social rules affect Roberta?
9. In what way have the defense created a strong case for Clyde's innocence?
10. How does Clyde's legal team begin their defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreiser depicts Clyde as a moral coward. Do you think this depiction of Clyde is fair? What are Clyde's strengths and weaknesses? Describe how Clyde could of used his strengths and weaknesses to become a success.
Essay Topic 2
Clyde kills Roberta because he desperately wants to be part of the upperclass. How different do you think the lives of the upper class and working classes were? Can you understand why Clyde was so desperate to escape his impoverished background?
Essay Topic 3
The novel depicts the American dream going badly wrong. What do you think is the American dream? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the American dream? How does the American dream affect the mindset of American society?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)