|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Clyde's mother ask him to help her raise?
2. What is the name of the restaurant Clyde has dinner at?
3. How much notice does Clyde have to give his uncle before he arrives?
4. Where do the Griffith family perform their daily evangelism?
5. What does Clyde say when Rita admits she loves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Clyde reacted to killing Roberta?
2. How do the authorities react to Roberta's death?
3. In what way have the defense created a strong case for Clyde's innocence?
4. How is Clyde's moral upbring still apparent in chapter 17?
5. Why does Heit get in contact with Orville Mason?
6. What does Clyde hope to achieve in his new position?
7. Why does Sparser drive at such a careless speed?
8. Why does Mason ask for a special session of the grand jury?
9. How does Roberta's moral upbringing affect her relationship with Clyde?
10. How has Clyde's behavior affected those around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Dreiser use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 2The novel depicts the American dream going badly wrong. What do you think is the American dream? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the American dream? How does the American dream affect the mindset of American society?
Essay Topic 3Clyde cannot resist women. Why do you think he is so weak in this regard? How do you think it affects his judgment?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)