|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Clyde's rich uncle?
2. Why does Clyde feel intimidated at the party?
3. What is the name of Roberta's sister's husband?
4. What girl does Clyde begin to lavish attention on?
5. What does Clyde comment on to make her feel like a princess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clyde find it so difficult to provide for his family?
2. Why does Clyde befriend Miller Nicholson?
3. What two taboos does Dreiser address in book 2, chapter 37?
4. Describe how Clyde kills Roberta.
5. Why does Mason ask for a special session of the grand jury?
6. In what ways is Clyde becoming a less sympathetic character?
7. How is Clyde's moral upbring still apparent in chapter 17?
8. How does Clyde react to the news Roberta is pregnant?
9. How do the autopsy results change the whole perplexion of the case?
10. In what way have the defense created a strong case for Clyde's innocence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreiser depicts Clyde as a moral coward. Do you think this depiction of Clyde is fair? What are Clyde's strengths and weaknesses? Describe how Clyde could of used his strengths and weaknesses to become a success.
Essay Topic 2
An American Tragedy is written in the third person. Why do you think Dreiser chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with Clyde being executed. What are your views on capital punishment? Why do you think society has become less tolerant of capital punishment?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)