|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Roberta's new landlady?
2. How much do the pills that Clyde buys cost?
3. What does Sondra like doing?
4. Why is Rita wary of physical contact?
5. What can factory girls never aspire to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are Clyde's faults exposed in chapter 9, book two?
2. Describe the Griffith family.
3. What do you think is Clyde's main weakness?
4. Why does Sparser drive at such a careless speed?
5. How has Clyde reacted to killing Roberta?
6. How does Clyde's legal team begin their defense?
7. Why does Clyde appeal to Sondra?
8. Describe the death house.
9. Why does Gilbert not like Clyde?
10. How do the Samuel Griffith family react to Clyde's popularity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An American Tragedy ends as it started with the Griffith family preaching on the streets with their young grandson Russell. What do you think will happen to Russell in the future? In what way can Mrs. Griffith stop Russell from turning out like Clyde? How important is a child's upbringing?
Essay Topic 2
An American Tragedy is what is known as the great American novel. What is meant by the term great American novel? Are there any conventions of a great American novel? What other great American novels are there? What ideas and conventions do they share with an American Tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
The novel depicts the American dream going badly wrong. What do you think is the American dream? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the American dream? How does the American dream affect the mindset of American society?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)