|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Clyde's fellow workers is the classy dresser?
2. Who invites Clyde on a weekend outing?
3. Who does Clyde go to for help?
4. How money does Clyde's mother ask from him per week?
5. What does Sparser say his job is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Clyde reacted to killing Roberta?
2. What do you think drives Clyde to pursue Sondra and ignore Roberta?
3. Why does Clyde continue to go against what he believes is right?
4. What is Clyde's view of his relationship with Roberta?
5. How does Roberta's moral upbringing affect her relationship with Clyde?
6. How has the accident in Kansas City changed Clyde for the better?
7. How does Clyde react to the news Roberta is pregnant?
8. What two taboos does Dreiser address in book 2, chapter 37?
9. How do Clyde and Roberta get over their moral upbringings?
10. How does Clyde try to appeal to his rich friends?
Essay Topic 1
Compare Clyde and Roberta.
1) What is their relationship with their parents?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they were the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
An American tragedy is written in a naturalistic style.
1) What are the elements of a naturalistic style?
2) Why do you think Dreiser uses a naturalistic style for this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background?
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was taken away?
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)