|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How money does Clyde's mother ask from him per week?
2. What town did Roberta first find a job in?
3. Where does the Griffith family want to set up its next mission?
4. Where does Clyde say his father worked?
5. Where does Clyde take Roberta for her abortion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Clyde reacted to killing Roberta?
2. How do Clyde and Roberta get over their moral upbringings?
3. Why does Mason ask for a special session of the grand jury?
4. How does Roberta's moral upbringing affect her relationship with Clyde?
5. In what ways is Clyde becoming a less sympathetic character?
6. Describe the Griffith family.
7. How does Clyde's life change when he finds the job at the hotel?
8. What three taboos and social rules does Roberta learn in this chapter?
9. What impression does Clyde give to the onlookers?
10. How so the strict social rules affect Roberta?
Essay Topic 1
The novel depicts the American dream going badly wrong. What do you think is the American dream? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the American dream? How does the American dream affect the mindset of American society?
Essay Topic 2
An American Tragedy is what is known as the great American novel. What is meant by the term great American novel? Are there any conventions of a great American novel? What other great American novels are there? What ideas and conventions do they share with an American Tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background?
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was taken away?
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)