|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Clyde make on his first task at the hotel?
2. Whose house is the Now and Then dance held at?
3. What is the name of Roberta's sister's husband?
4. Why does Samuel invite Clyde for Christmas dinner?
5. What can factory girls never aspire to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are Clyde's faults exposed in chapter 9, book two?
2. In what way does Clyde's behavior reflect American society?
3. What important decision does Clyde make in chapter 40, book 2?
4. What does Clyde hope to achieve in his new position?
5. In what way does Clyde keep his promise to Gilbert?
6. How does Clyde try to appeal to his rich friends?
7. How does hotel life contradict what Clyde has previously been taught by his family?
8. How do the autopsy results change the whole perplexion of the case?
9. Why does Sparser drive at such a careless speed?
10. Why does Clyde befriend Miller Nicholson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel depicts the American dream going badly wrong. What do you think is the American dream? What are the strengths and weaknesses of the American dream? How does the American dream affect the mindset of American society?
Essay Topic 2
The book ends with Clyde being executed. What are your views on capital punishment? Why do you think society has become less tolerant of capital punishment?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Clyde and Roberta.
1) What is their relationship with their parents?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they were the perfect match?
This section contains 1,459 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)