|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Clyde and Roberta decide to find a doctor?
2. Why does the doctor refuse to help her?
3. What is the name of Roberta's new landlady?
4. Where does Clyde visit at the beginning of chapter 34?
5. What instrument does Esta play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clyde hope to achieve in his new position?
2. Why does Heit get in contact with Orville Mason?
3. How do the authorities react to Roberta's death?
4. How does Clyde react to the news Roberta is pregnant?
5. What information does Clyde give the authorities?
6. How does Dreiser show Clyde and Roberta's fragmented thoughts?
7. How has Clyde's behavior affected those around him?
8. Why does Mason ask for a special session of the grand jury?
9. In what way does Clyde keep his promise to Gilbert?
10. What three taboos and social rules does Roberta learn in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Dreiser use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Both Clyde and Roberta are restricted by their moral upbringings. Using two examples from the book discuss how their upbringings affect their decisions in the book. Do you think their moral upbringings were more destructive than helpful?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with Clyde being executed. What are your views on capital punishment? Why do you think society has become less tolerant of capital punishment?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)