|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how money does Rubenstein try to sell the fur jacket?
2. How much money does Clyde make on his first task at the hotel?
3. Why has Roberta come to the lake?
4. What room is Clyde asked to supervise?
5. What does Sondra like doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Clyde kills Roberta.
2. How so the strict social rules affect Roberta?
3. In what way does the final chapter replay the opening chapter?
4. What impression does Clyde give to the onlookers?
5. How do the Samuel Griffith family react to Clyde's popularity?
6. In what way is the political situation getting in the way of the trial?
7. In what ways is Clyde becoming a less sympathetic character?
8. What is Clyde's view of his relationship with Roberta?
9. What do you think drives Clyde to pursue Sondra and ignore Roberta?
10. How does Clyde's legal team begin their defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clyde kills Roberta because he desperately wants to be part of the upperclass. How different do you think the lives of the upper class and working classes were? Can you understand why Clyde was so desperate to escape his impoverished background?
Essay Topic 2
An American Tragedy is what is known as the great American novel. What is meant by the term great American novel? Are there any conventions of a great American novel? What other great American novels are there? What ideas and conventions do they share with an American Tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with Clyde being executed. What are your views on capital punishment? Why do you think society has become less tolerant of capital punishment?
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)