Book 1, Chapter 1 | Book 1, Chapter 2 | Book 1, Chapter 3 | Book 1, Chapter 4
* The opening chapter introduces the Griffiths family on the streets of Kansas City, performing their daily evangelism.
* Their son Clyde has very little interest in his parents' life or beliefs, however, he is intrigued by a rich uncle, who runs a hugely successful collar and shirt factory in Lycurgus, New York.
* While Clyde is thinking about how to escape from his family his sister Esta does escape, leaving town with an actor.
* Clyde finds employment as a Soda Fountain Assistant at a local drug store, where he is paid six dollars a week.
* When Clyde learns that his family is considering moving to Denver, he decides to find a job that pays enough for him to stay in Kansas City. He finds a job in a hotel.
Book 1, Chapter 5 | Book 1, Chapter 6 | Book 1, Chapter 7 | Book 1, Chapter 8
* Clyde is excited by the...
This section contains 3,575 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)