|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Colonel in Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
2. At the end of Part Three, what information does Felix need to know?
3. What is the setting of Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
4. Who helps Gabriel escape?
5. What motivates Felix to work hard at the Officer Training Corps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Felix will do to Von Bishop?
2. Why do you think Charis commits suicide?
3. How does Felix end up in Nanda?
4. What questions does Dr. Venables ask Felix about Charis?
5. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
6. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
7. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
8. Describe Gabriel's journal.
9. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
10. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the title of the novel, "An Ice Cream War." What does that mean to you? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
An Ice Cream War tells the story of how World War I affects the lives of many characters in both Europe and Africa. The characters include British, German, and American characters who are both men and women. These characters are pulled into a war they do not fully understand and their lives are forever altered. Examine the historical context of the time period and what influence it has on the events in the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
What genre or genres can An Ice Cream War be classified as? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)