|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Part Two, Chapter Thirteen end?
2. What song does Charis' lover hum?
3. From whose point of view is Part Three, Chapter Five?
4. In Charis' letter to Gabriel in Part Two, what does she tell him?
5. Who is Charis having an affair with in Part Two, Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
2. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
3. Why do you think Charis commits suicide?
4. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
5. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
6. Describe Gabriel's journal.
7. What does Walter find when he returns to his farm?
8. What is "China Show?"
9. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
10. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Two, Chapter Thirteen, it is revealed that Charis is having an affair with Gabriel's brother, Felix. Analyze Charis' justification for the affair and the comparison she makes between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Felix is a youth attempting to negotiate a difficult and awkward transition from adolescence to adulthood. By the end of the novel Felix is battle-scarred and world-weary.war. By the time Felix boards a ship to take him back to England, he has seen years of gruesome death, some even involving loved ones. Felix himself has also been forever physically altered or damaged. Through the course of the novel, Felix Cobb can be thought of as two characters in one. In an essay, conduct a character analysis of Felix Cobb that addresses these points.
Essay Topic 3
In Part Two, Chapter Sixteen, Charis writes two letters expressing her guilt to Felix and Gabriel. In Chapter Seventeen, Felix reflects on the letters and has a terrible feeling. He rushes to the pond and finds that Charis has committed suicide. How does Felix know something terrible has happened to Charis? What is Felix's response to his speculation about Charis? What is Felix's responsibility, if any, in Charis' suicide? What effect do you think this will have on Felix?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)