|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles is it from where Felix gets off the train to Kibongo?
2. How long does Gabriel expect to be walking before meeting with British troops?
3. What literary device does the author use to describe how Charis' affair started?
4. What obstacle stands in the way for Felix and Gilzean?
5. In Charis' letter to Gabriel in Part Two, what detail does she leave out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
2. What are Charis and Felix's thoughts on their affair and Gabriel?
3. What is Von Bishop's reaction to what happens to Gabriel when he is caught?
4. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
5. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
6. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
7. Describe Gabriel's journal.
8. Do you think Von Bishop wants to go after Gabriel? Why or why not?
9. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
10. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Fourteen, Walter finally makes it back to his farm. It is in terrible condition, with feces all over. His baby daughter's grave is desecrated and he discovers that his decorticator is missing. What is the decorticator a symbol of?
Essay Topic 3
What genre or genres can An Ice Cream War be classified as? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)