|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the British soldier arriving in German territory bring?
2. What alerts the Germans to Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five?
3. What is Felix's reaction to the letter from Charis?
4. Whose grave is desecrated at Walter's house in Part Two?
5. Who is Charis having an affair with in Part Two, Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Three, Walter attempts to find Von Bishop, the man responsible for taking his farm and decorticator. Walter's purpose in joining the fight is not so much to help his country, but to get revenge on the man responsible for destroying his lifestyle. Write an essay that analyzes the theme of revenge as expressed in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
An Ice Cream War is about the effects of a European war on the people living in Africa. While the characters in the novel are of European descent, not much notice is given to the local Africans. In an essay, analyze the effect the war is having on the African people.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)