|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Four, Chapter Three, what does Felix receive from his mother?
2. Whose grave is desecrated at Walter's house in Part Two?
3. What alerts the Germans to Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five?
4. Which of the following words best describes Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
5. Who helps Gabriel escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
2. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
3. What are Gabriel's feelings for Liesl in Part Three?
4. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
5. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
6. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
7. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
8. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
9. What does Walter find when he returns to his farm?
10. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Three, Walter attempts to find Von Bishop, the man responsible for taking his farm and decorticator. Walter's purpose in joining the fight is not so much to help his country, but to get revenge on the man responsible for destroying his lifestyle. Write an essay that analyzes the theme of revenge as expressed in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Felix and Gabriel are two brothers who are the main characters in the novel It is clear that there is conflict between the two, but their relationship will play a key role in the novel. Analyze the similarities and differences between Felix and Gabriel and what effect this has on the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)