|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charis meet her lover in a hotel room?
2. In Part Four, Chapter Two, how does a British soldier arrive in German territory?
3. In Part Three, Chapter Eight, who does Felix hear from about Gabriel?
4. From whose perspective is Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
5. In Part Four, Chapter Three, what does Felix receive from his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
2. What do you think Felix will do to Von Bishop?
3. What does Walter find when he returns to his farm?
4. Do you think Von Bishop wants to go after Gabriel? Why or why not?
5. What questions does Dr. Venables ask Felix about Charis?
6. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
7. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
8. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
9. What happens when Felix goes to the pond to think in Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
10. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An Ice Cream War tells the story of how World War I affects the lives of many characters in both Europe and Africa. The characters include British, German, and American characters who are both men and women. These characters are pulled into a war they do not fully understand and their lives are forever altered. Examine the historical context of the time period and what influence it has on the events in the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
What is Felix's motivation for being in the war? Write an essay that analyzes the theme of redemption as related to Felix's motivation for serving in the war.
Essay Topic 3
In Part Three, Walter attempts to find Von Bishop, the man responsible for taking his farm and decorticator. Walter's purpose in joining the fight is not so much to help his country, but to get revenge on the man responsible for destroying his lifestyle. Write an essay that analyzes the theme of revenge as expressed in An Ice Cream War.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)