|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor suspect of Charis?
2. Where is Sergeant Gilzean from?
3. What news does the British soldier arriving in German territory bring?
4. What shocks Walter when he enters his house?
5. What worries Charis' lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Von Bishop wants to go after Gabriel? Why or why not?
2. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
3. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
4. What is "China Show?"
5. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
6. What are Charis and Felix's thoughts on their affair and Gabriel?
7. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
8. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
9. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
10. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Felix and Gabriel are two brothers who are the main characters in the novel It is clear that there is conflict between the two, but their relationship will play a key role in the novel. Analyze the similarities and differences between Felix and Gabriel and what effect this has on the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Twelve, Walter's meeting Wheech-Browning provides another scene that begins as comedy. For some reason Wheech-Browning considers Walter a dear friend but cannot understand how the topic of the coffee seedlings upsets Walter. Walter is equally to blame in failing to understand that Wheech-Browning is merely performing his job in insisting that Walter pay the customs taxes. The scene ends in another death, and as Wheech-Browning says, it seems that every time the two of them get near a machine someone dies. In an essay, analyze Boyd's use of comedy in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 3
An Ice Cream War is about the effects of a European war on the people living in Africa. While the characters in the novel are of European descent, not much notice is given to the local Africans. In an essay, analyze the effect the war is having on the African people.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)