|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Felix's reaction to the letter from Charis?
2. What do the birds circling indicate?
3. In Part Three, why will fighting stop for two to three months?
4. After the war, what changes Felix's plans?
5. Where does Charis meet her lover in a hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Felix end up in Nanda?
2. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
3. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
4. Do you think Von Bishop wants to go after Gabriel? Why or why not?
5. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
6. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
7. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
8. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
9. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
10. What does Walter find when he returns to his farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Major Bilderbeck is an enigmatic character who befriends Gabriel aboard a troop transport ship. His strange mannerisms, specifically his manner of laughing at things that other people do not find immediately funny, might indicate something of an amoral personality. In an essay, write a character analysis of Major Bilderbeck.
Essay Topic 2
An Ice Cream War is about the effects of a European war on the people living in Africa. While the characters in the novel are of European descent, not much notice is given to the local Africans. In an essay, analyze the effect the war is having on the African people.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)