|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Charis' lover?
2. Which of the following words best describes Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
3. What are Von Bishop's feelings about Dr. Deppe?
4. Given the clues at the end of Part Two, what conclusion can be drawn about Charis?
5. In Part Four, what does Wheech-Browning bring in a truck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Walter find when he returns to his farm?
2. Describe Gabriel's journal.
3. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
4. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
5. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
6. What consequences do the British face for not heading Walter's advice?
7. What is shocking about Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
8. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
9. What is Von Bishop's reaction to what happens to Gabriel when he is caught?
10. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In An Ice Cream War, Felix Cobb, the protagonist, can be described as a dynamic character because he evolves throughout the novel. Contrary to Felix is his brother, Gabriel. Gabriel is a static character because he remains the same, a dedicated soldier, throughout the novel. In an essay, examine the role of dynamic and static characters in the novel An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Felix is a youth attempting to negotiate a difficult and awkward transition from adolescence to adulthood. By the end of the novel Felix is battle-scarred and world-weary.war. By the time Felix boards a ship to take him back to England, he has seen years of gruesome death, some even involving loved ones. Felix himself has also been forever physically altered or damaged. Through the course of the novel, Felix Cobb can be thought of as two characters in one. In an essay, conduct a character analysis of Felix Cobb that addresses these points.
Essay Topic 3
What genre or genres can An Ice Cream War be classified as? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)