|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Three, Chapter Two, who annoys Felix?
2. In Part Three, where does Felix ask to be stationed?
3. What literary device does the author use to describe how Charis' affair started?
4. In Nanda, who informs Felix about the whereabouts of Gabriel?
5. What worries Charis' lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
2. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
3. What happens when Felix goes to the pond to think in Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
4. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
5. Why do you think Charis commits suicide?
6. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
7. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
8. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
9. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
10. What consequences do the British face for not heading Walter's advice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Two, Chapter Thirteen, it is revealed that Charis is having an affair with Gabriel's brother, Felix. Analyze Charis' justification for the affair and the comparison she makes between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Sixteen, Charis writes two letters expressing her guilt to Felix and Gabriel. In Chapter Seventeen, Felix reflects on the letters and has a terrible feeling. He rushes to the pond and finds that Charis has committed suicide. How does Felix know something terrible has happened to Charis? What is Felix's response to his speculation about Charis? What is Felix's responsibility, if any, in Charis' suicide? What effect do you think this will have on Felix?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel, Walter and Felix, start out indifferent to the war. Both think that the war will not effect their lives. However things for Walter change that cause him to take sides and join the war. In an essay, analyze the how Walter and Felix feel about the war, and what changes for both characters that cause them to enter the war.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)