|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
2. What evidence is there that Gabriel is dead?
3. How often does Charis write Gabriel?
4. In Part Three, where does Felix ask to be stationed?
5. What worries Charis' lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
2. What is shocking about Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
3. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
4. What are Gabriel's feelings for Liesl in Part Three?
5. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
6. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
7. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
8. What do you think Felix will do to Von Bishop?
9. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
10. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Major Bilderbeck is an enigmatic character who befriends Gabriel aboard a troop transport ship. His strange mannerisms, specifically his manner of laughing at things that other people do not find immediately funny, might indicate something of an amoral personality. In an essay, write a character analysis of Major Bilderbeck.
Essay Topic 2
An Ice Cream War is about the effects of a European war on the people living in Africa. While the characters in the novel are of European descent, not much notice is given to the local Africans. In an essay, analyze the effect the war is having on the African people.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)