|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Colonel in Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
2. How does Charis commit suicide?
3. What happens to Lieutenant Loveday while leading Felix's unit?
4. In Part Two, Chapter Three, who is Gabriel in love with?
5. In Charis' letter to Gabriel in Part Two, what detail does she leave out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gabriel's journal.
2. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
3. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
4. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
5. What is shocking about Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
6. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
7. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
8. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
9. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
10. What is "China Show?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Twelve, Walter's meeting Wheech-Browning provides another scene that begins as comedy. For some reason Wheech-Browning considers Walter a dear friend but cannot understand how the topic of the coffee seedlings upsets Walter. Walter is equally to blame in failing to understand that Wheech-Browning is merely performing his job in insisting that Walter pay the customs taxes. The scene ends in another death, and as Wheech-Browning says, it seems that every time the two of them get near a machine someone dies. In an essay, analyze Boyd's use of comedy in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 3
Gabriel and Felix are brothers and in many ways they are polar opposites. In what ways are Gabriel and Felix opposites? In what ways are they similar?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)