|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gabriel do in the evenings at the hospital?
2. In Part Three, Chapter Five, why is Gabriel unable to watch Liesl bathe?
3. Who helps Gabriel escape?
4. In Part Four, Chapter One, what does Wheech-Browning accidentally do?
5. What are Von Bishop's feelings about Dr. Deppe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
2. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
3. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
4. What are Gabriel's feelings for Liesl in Part Three?
5. What happens when Felix goes to the pond to think in Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
6. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
7. Describe Gabriel's journal.
8. What consequences do the British face for not heading Walter's advice?
9. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
10. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Two, Chapter Sixteen, Charis writes two letters expressing her guilt to Felix and Gabriel. In Chapter Seventeen, Felix reflects on the letters and has a terrible feeling. He rushes to the pond and finds that Charis has committed suicide. How does Felix know something terrible has happened to Charis? What is Felix's response to his speculation about Charis? What is Felix's responsibility, if any, in Charis' suicide? What effect do you think this will have on Felix?
Essay Topic 2
Gabriel and Felix are brothers and in many ways they are polar opposites. In what ways are Gabriel and Felix opposites? In what ways are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Felix and Gabriel are two brothers who are the main characters in the novel It is clear that there is conflict between the two, but their relationship will play a key role in the novel. Analyze the similarities and differences between Felix and Gabriel and what effect this has on the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)