|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose grave is desecrated at Walter's house in Part Two?
2. What form of transportation does Charis and her lover use leaving the hotel?
3. What do the birds circling indicate?
4. Why does Gabriel want to stay in the hospital?
5. Who helps Gabriel escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
2. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
3. What does Walter find when he returns to his farm?
4. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
5. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
6. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
7. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
8. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
9. What do you think Felix will do to Von Bishop?
10. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Three, Walter attempts to find Von Bishop, the man responsible for taking his farm and decorticator. Walter's purpose in joining the fight is not so much to help his country, but to get revenge on the man responsible for destroying his lifestyle. Write an essay that analyzes the theme of revenge as expressed in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Thirteen, it is revealed that Charis is having an affair with Gabriel's brother, Felix. Analyze Charis' justification for the affair and the comparison she makes between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 3
What is Felix's motivation for being in the war? Write an essay that analyzes the theme of redemption as related to Felix's motivation for serving in the war.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)