|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part Three, what information does Felix need to know?
2. How long does Gabriel expect to be walking before meeting with British troops?
3. A zeppelin is referred to as what by the Germans?
4. What evidence is there that Gabriel is dead?
5. In Part Three, Chapter Eight, who does Felix hear from about Gabriel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Felix goes to the pond to think in Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
2. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
3. What consequences do the British face for not heading Walter's advice?
4. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
5. What questions does Dr. Venables ask Felix about Charis?
6. What are Gabriel's feelings for Liesl in Part Three?
7. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
8. Do you think Von Bishop wants to go after Gabriel? Why or why not?
9. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
10. Describe Gabriel's journal.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Twelve, Walter's meeting Wheech-Browning provides another scene that begins as comedy. For some reason Wheech-Browning considers Walter a dear friend but cannot understand how the topic of the coffee seedlings upsets Walter. Walter is equally to blame in failing to understand that Wheech-Browning is merely performing his job in insisting that Walter pay the customs taxes. The scene ends in another death, and as Wheech-Browning says, it seems that every time the two of them get near a machine someone dies. In an essay, analyze Boyd's use of comedy in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 3
What genre or genres can An Ice Cream War be classified as? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)