|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charis' affair begin?
2. After playing cards, what does Aristedes do?
3. In Part Two, Chapter Eighteen, who invites Felix for a drink?
4. Where is Gabriel held prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Five?
5. What news does the British soldier arriving in German territory bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
2. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
3. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
4. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
5. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
6. How does Felix end up in Nanda?
7. Describe Gabriel's journal.
8. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
9. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
10. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
Essay Topic 3
Boyd writes An Ice Cream War using shifting point of views. Describe Boyd's style in reference to point of view and analyze the effect of Boyd's use of a variety of point of views.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)