|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Four, Chapter Two, how does a British soldier arrive in German territory?
2. What is Felix's title in the British Army in Part Three?
3. What language does Aristedes speak?
4. What is the setting of Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
5. What main event occurs in Part Two, Chapter Four?
Essay Topic 1
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
An Ice Cream War tells the story of how World War I affects the lives of many characters in both Europe and Africa. The characters include British, German, and American characters who are both men and women. These characters are pulled into a war they do not fully understand and their lives are forever altered. Examine the historical context of the time period and what influence it has on the events in the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)