|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sergeant Gilzean from?
2. In Part Three, why will fighting stop for two to three months?
3. Whose grave is desecrated at Walter's house in Part Two?
4. What news does the British soldier arriving in German territory bring?
5. A zeppelin is referred to as what by the Germans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gabriel's journal.
2. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
3. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
4. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
5. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
6. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
7. What are Charis and Felix's thoughts on their affair and Gabriel?
8. What is "China Show?"
9. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
10. What is Von Bishop's reaction to what happens to Gabriel when he is caught?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An Ice Cream War is about the effects of a European war on the people living in Africa. While the characters in the novel are of European descent, not much notice is given to the local Africans. In an essay, analyze the effect the war is having on the African people.
Essay Topic 2
What genre or genres can An Ice Cream War be classified as? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Major Bilderbeck is an enigmatic character who befriends Gabriel aboard a troop transport ship. His strange mannerisms, specifically his manner of laughing at things that other people do not find immediately funny, might indicate something of an amoral personality. In an essay, write a character analysis of Major Bilderbeck.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)