|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Four, who is Felix to train?
2. What does Gabriel do in the evenings at the hospital?
3. How often does Charis write Gabriel?
4. Who occupies Walter's farm in Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
5. While in confinement in Part Three, who questions Gabriel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
2. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
3. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
4. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
5. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
6. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
7. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
8. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
9. What questions does Dr. Venables ask Felix about Charis?
10. What does Walter find when he returns to his farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
Essay Topic 3
What is Felix's motivation for being in the war? Write an essay that analyzes the theme of redemption as related to Felix's motivation for serving in the war.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)