|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the second hospital Gabriel is at?
2. How many telegrams did Felix's family receive about Gabriel?
3. What is the condition of the person who summons Walter?
4. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
5. Why is Liesel Von Bishop uncomfortable while traveling in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
2. Describe Felix's reaction to Amory at the party at her apartment.
3. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
4. Describe Gabriel's recovery in Part Two, Chapter Eleven.
5. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
6. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
7. In Part One, Chapter Four, why is Felix upset with Gabriel?
8. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
9. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
10. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In An Ice Cream War, Felix Cobb, the protagonist, can be described as a dynamic character because he evolves throughout the novel. Contrary to Felix is his brother, Gabriel. Gabriel is a static character because he remains the same, a dedicated soldier, throughout the novel. In an essay, examine the role of dynamic and static characters in the novel An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
An Ice Cream War tells the story of how World War I affects the lives of many characters in both Europe and Africa. The characters include British, German, and American characters who are both men and women. These characters are pulled into a war they do not fully understand and their lives are forever altered. Examine the historical context of the time period and what influence it has on the events in the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)