|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality are the soldiers Gabriel is with?
2. What limits Gabriel's ability to see while marching towards Tanga?
3. In Part Two, Chapter Ten, what is Felix's first reaction to Amory?
4. How do Gabriel and his men get to shore in Part Two, Chapter Five?
5. Where does Smith send his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
2. Describe Felix's reaction to Amory at the party at her apartment.
3. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
4. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
5. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
6. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
7. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
8. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
9. What do the Germans do to Walter's farm?
10. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Two, Chapter Twelve, Walter's meeting Wheech-Browning provides another scene that begins as comedy. For some reason Wheech-Browning considers Walter a dear friend but cannot understand how the topic of the coffee seedlings upsets Walter. Walter is equally to blame in failing to understand that Wheech-Browning is merely performing his job in insisting that Walter pay the customs taxes. The scene ends in another death, and as Wheech-Browning says, it seems that every time the two of them get near a machine someone dies. In an essay, analyze Boyd's use of comedy in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Sixteen, Charis writes two letters expressing her guilt to Felix and Gabriel. In Chapter Seventeen, Felix reflects on the letters and has a terrible feeling. He rushes to the pond and finds that Charis has committed suicide. How does Felix know something terrible has happened to Charis? What is Felix's response to his speculation about Charis? What is Felix's responsibility, if any, in Charis' suicide? What effect do you think this will have on Felix?
Essay Topic 3
Felix and Gabriel are two brothers who are the main characters in the novel It is clear that there is conflict between the two, but their relationship will play a key role in the novel. Analyze the similarities and differences between Felix and Gabriel and what effect this has on the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)