|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the army Walter joins?
2. How much time has elapsed between Part Two, Chapter Three and Part Two, Chapter Four?
3. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
4. What causes controversy between Felix and Gabriel?
5. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel is on a ship heading from India to where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes between Charis and Felix at the end of Part Two, Chapter Ten?
2. What happens on Charis and Gabriel's honeymoon?
3. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
4. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
5. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
6. Describe Gabriel's recovery in Part Two, Chapter Eleven.
7. Describe Felix's reaction to Amory at the party at her apartment.
8. In Part One, Chapter Four, why is Felix upset with Gabriel?
9. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
10. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, Felix is a youth attempting to negotiate a difficult and awkward transition from adolescence to adulthood. By the end of the novel Felix is battle-scarred and world-weary.war. By the time Felix boards a ship to take him back to England, he has seen years of gruesome death, some even involving loved ones. Felix himself has also been forever physically altered or damaged. Through the course of the novel, Felix Cobb can be thought of as two characters in one. In an essay, conduct a character analysis of Felix Cobb that addresses these points.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel, Walter and Felix, start out indifferent to the war. Both think that the war will not effect their lives. However things for Walter change that cause him to take sides and join the war. In an essay, analyze the how Walter and Felix feel about the war, and what changes for both characters that cause them to enter the war.
Essay Topic 3
Major Bilderbeck is an enigmatic character who befriends Gabriel aboard a troop transport ship. His strange mannerisms, specifically his manner of laughing at things that other people do not find immediately funny, might indicate something of an amoral personality. In an essay, write a character analysis of Major Bilderbeck.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)