|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gabriel visit with during the voyage?
2. How much time passes between Part Two Chapters Ten and Eleven?
3. Why is Felix rejected for military service?
4. While at dinner with his family, what does Felix do that angers the rest of the family?
5. What does Major Hamish Cobb inspect before dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Germans do to Walter's farm?
2. Why do the Germans continue to fight the war in Africa?
3. How does Gabriel end up injured?
4. Describe Felix's interactions with his family in Part One, Chapter Four.
5. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
6. How do Gabriel and other British soldiers get trapped in a ditch?
7. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
8. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
9. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
10. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Three, Walter attempts to find Von Bishop, the man responsible for taking his farm and decorticator. Walter's purpose in joining the fight is not so much to help his country, but to get revenge on the man responsible for destroying his lifestyle. Write an essay that analyzes the theme of revenge as expressed in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In Part Two, Chapter Sixteen, Charis writes two letters expressing her guilt to Felix and Gabriel. In Chapter Seventeen, Felix reflects on the letters and has a terrible feeling. He rushes to the pond and finds that Charis has committed suicide. How does Felix know something terrible has happened to Charis? What is Felix's response to his speculation about Charis? What is Felix's responsibility, if any, in Charis' suicide? What effect do you think this will have on Felix?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)