|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the landing of Gabriel's ship in Part Two?
2. What is the destination for Gabriel's unit?
3. Where does Smith send his family?
4. What does Holland invite Felix too?
5. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walter try to get his farm back?
2. What does Walter find when he returns to his farm?
3. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
4. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
5. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
6. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
7. Why do you think Charis commits suicide?
8. What do the Germans do to Walter's farm?
9. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
10. Describe Felix's interactions with his family in Part One, Chapter Four.
Essay Topic 1
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
Essay Topic 2
Boyd writes An Ice Cream War using shifting point of views. Describe Boyd's style in reference to point of view and analyze the effect of Boyd's use of a variety of point of views.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the title of the novel, "An Ice Cream War." What does that mean to you? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,784 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)