|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Smith send his family?
2. What causes confusion the first night for Gabriel and Charis in France?
3. Why are Gabriel and his men stranded at anchor for sixteen days?
4. What body part of Gleeson's is destroyed?
5. What mode of transportation does Smith use in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
2. What is Felix's plan to kill Von Bishop?
3. What consequences do the British face for not heading Walter's advice?
4. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
5. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
6. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
7. What changes between Charis and Felix at the end of Part Two, Chapter Ten?
8. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
9. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
10. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the novel, Felix is a youth attempting to negotiate a difficult and awkward transition from adolescence to adulthood. By the end of the novel Felix is battle-scarred and world-weary.war. By the time Felix boards a ship to take him back to England, he has seen years of gruesome death, some even involving loved ones. Felix himself has also been forever physically altered or damaged. Through the course of the novel, Felix Cobb can be thought of as two characters in one. In an essay, conduct a character analysis of Felix Cobb that addresses these points.
Essay Topic 3
In Part Two, Chapter Sixteen, Charis writes two letters expressing her guilt to Felix and Gabriel. In Chapter Seventeen, Felix reflects on the letters and has a terrible feeling. He rushes to the pond and finds that Charis has committed suicide. How does Felix know something terrible has happened to Charis? What is Felix's response to his speculation about Charis? What is Felix's responsibility, if any, in Charis' suicide? What effect do you think this will have on Felix?
This section contains 1,852 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)