|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wheech-Browning actually come to Smith's farm?
2. Why does Smith think Wheech-Browning is coming to his farm?
3. In Part Two, Chapter Nine, what does Charis show Felix?
4. What frustrates Walter in the army?
5. Who does Felix stop to see on his way home from the nightclub?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Felix's reaction to Amory at the party at her apartment.
2. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
3. What happens on Charis and Gabriel's honeymoon?
4. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
5. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
6. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
7. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
8. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
9. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
10. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Two, Chapter Twelve, Walter's meeting Wheech-Browning provides another scene that begins as comedy. For some reason Wheech-Browning considers Walter a dear friend but cannot understand how the topic of the coffee seedlings upsets Walter. Walter is equally to blame in failing to understand that Wheech-Browning is merely performing his job in insisting that Walter pay the customs taxes. The scene ends in another death, and as Wheech-Browning says, it seems that every time the two of them get near a machine someone dies. In an essay, analyze Boyd's use of comedy in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
What is Felix's motivation for being in the war? Write an essay that analyzes the theme of redemption as related to Felix's motivation for serving in the war.
Essay Topic 3
What genre or genres can An Ice Cream War be classified as? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)