|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Part Two, Chapter One?
2. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel is on a ship heading from India to where?
3. The ________ continue the ________ campaign to draw _________ resources away from the war in Europe.
4. Who does Felix stop to see on his way home from the nightclub?
5. What taboo activity does Smith do in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Felix's reaction to Amory at the party at her apartment.
2. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
3. What happens with the biplane in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
4. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
5. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
6. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
7. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
8. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
9. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
10. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Two, Chapter Twelve, Walter's meeting Wheech-Browning provides another scene that begins as comedy. For some reason Wheech-Browning considers Walter a dear friend but cannot understand how the topic of the coffee seedlings upsets Walter. Walter is equally to blame in failing to understand that Wheech-Browning is merely performing his job in insisting that Walter pay the customs taxes. The scene ends in another death, and as Wheech-Browning says, it seems that every time the two of them get near a machine someone dies. In an essay, analyze Boyd's use of comedy in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
There are two main settings in the novel An Ice Cream War. In an essay, describe the settings of the novel and analyze the affect the setting will have on the conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Charis commit suicide? What are the factors behind her choice? What does she think will happen if others know the truth about her infidelity? Is her decision a selfish one?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)