|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Felix find out happens to Cyril?
2. What does Major Hamish Cobb inspect before dinner?
3. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
4. What happens to the biplane Wheech-Browing flies in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
5. While at dinner with his family, what does Felix do that angers the rest of the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gabriel end up injured?
2. How does Walter try to get his farm back?
3. Describe how Felix and Holland react differently to the discrimination they face because they are not in military service.
4. What happens on Charis and Gabriel's honeymoon?
5. Describe Felix's reaction to Amory at the party at her apartment.
6. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
7. Describe Gabriel's recovery in Part Two, Chapter Eleven.
8. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
9. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
10. Describe Felix's interactions with his family in Part One, Chapter Four.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the novel, Felix is a youth attempting to negotiate a difficult and awkward transition from adolescence to adulthood. By the end of the novel Felix is battle-scarred and world-weary.war. By the time Felix boards a ship to take him back to England, he has seen years of gruesome death, some even involving loved ones. Felix himself has also been forever physically altered or damaged. Through the course of the novel, Felix Cobb can be thought of as two characters in one. In an essay, conduct a character analysis of Felix Cobb that addresses these points.
Essay Topic 2
Felix and Gabriel are two brothers who are the main characters in the novel It is clear that there is conflict between the two, but their relationship will play a key role in the novel. Analyze the similarities and differences between Felix and Gabriel and what effect this has on the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Gabriel and Felix are brothers and in many ways they are polar opposites. In what ways are Gabriel and Felix opposites? In what ways are they similar?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)