|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter Eight, what ails Felix?
2. What mode of transportation does Smith use in Part One?
3. On what condition are the wounded allowed to leave Tanga?
4. What causes controversy between Felix and Gabriel?
5. What does Gabriel mistake bullets for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
2. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
3. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
4. Describe Felix's interactions with his family in Part One, Chapter Four.
5. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
6. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
7. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
8. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
9. Describe Felix's reaction to Amory at the party at her apartment.
10. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Felix's motivation for being in the war? Write an essay that analyzes the theme of redemption as related to Felix's motivation for serving in the war.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Sixteen, Charis writes two letters expressing her guilt to Felix and Gabriel. In Chapter Seventeen, Felix reflects on the letters and has a terrible feeling. He rushes to the pond and finds that Charis has committed suicide. How does Felix know something terrible has happened to Charis? What is Felix's response to his speculation about Charis? What is Felix's responsibility, if any, in Charis' suicide? What effect do you think this will have on Felix?
Essay Topic 3
Gabriel and Felix are brothers and in many ways they are polar opposites. In what ways are Gabriel and Felix opposites? In what ways are they similar?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)