|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body part of Gleeson's is destroyed?
2. Who does Felix stop to see on his way home from the nightclub?
3. What university is Felix set to attend?
4. What product is Smith buying in Chapter One?
5. Where does Felix run into a prostitute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
2. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
3. What happens with the biplane in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
4. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
5. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
6. Describe how Felix and Holland react differently to the discrimination they face because they are not in military service.
7. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
8. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
9. How does Gabriel end up injured?
10. How do Gabriel and other British soldiers get trapped in a ditch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the novel, Walter and Felix, start out indifferent to the war. Both think that the war will not effect their lives. However things for Walter change that cause him to take sides and join the war. In an essay, analyze the how Walter and Felix feel about the war, and what changes for both characters that cause them to enter the war.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Twelve, Walter's meeting Wheech-Browning provides another scene that begins as comedy. For some reason Wheech-Browning considers Walter a dear friend but cannot understand how the topic of the coffee seedlings upsets Walter. Walter is equally to blame in failing to understand that Wheech-Browning is merely performing his job in insisting that Walter pay the customs taxes. The scene ends in another death, and as Wheech-Browning says, it seems that every time the two of them get near a machine someone dies. In an essay, analyze Boyd's use of comedy in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the novel, Felix is a youth attempting to negotiate a difficult and awkward transition from adolescence to adulthood. By the end of the novel Felix is battle-scarred and world-weary.war. By the time Felix boards a ship to take him back to England, he has seen years of gruesome death, some even involving loved ones. Felix himself has also been forever physically altered or damaged. Through the course of the novel, Felix Cobb can be thought of as two characters in one. In an essay, conduct a character analysis of Felix Cobb that addresses these points.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)