|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Gabriel and his men get to shore in Part Two, Chapter Five?
2. What is the setting of Part One, Chapter Four?
3. How many letters does Gabriel receive in Part Two, Chapter Four?
4. Where does Smith send his family?
5. What happens to the biplane Wheech-Browing flies in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on Charis and Gabriel's honeymoon?
2. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
3. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
4. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
5. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
6. Describe Felix's interactions with his family in Part One, Chapter Four.
7. What do the Germans do to Walter's farm?
8. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
9. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
10. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two main settings in the novel An Ice Cream War. In an essay, describe the settings of the novel and analyze the affect the setting will have on the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
What is Felix's motivation for being in the war? Write an essay that analyzes the theme of redemption as related to Felix's motivation for serving in the war.
Essay Topic 3
An Ice Cream War is about the effects of a European war on the people living in Africa. While the characters in the novel are of European descent, not much notice is given to the local Africans. In an essay, analyze the effect the war is having on the African people.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)