|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country are the Von Bishop's from?
2. What university is Felix set to attend?
3. How much time has elapsed between Part Two, Chapter Three and Part Two, Chapter Four?
4. On what condition are the wounded allowed to leave Tanga?
5. What is wrong with the landing of Gabriel's ship in Part Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
2. How does Gabriel end up injured?
3. Why do the Germans continue to fight the war in Africa?
4. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
5. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
6. Describe how Felix and Holland react differently to the discrimination they face because they are not in military service.
7. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
8. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
9. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
10. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In An Ice Cream War, Felix Cobb, the protagonist, can be described as a dynamic character because he evolves throughout the novel. Contrary to Felix is his brother, Gabriel. Gabriel is a static character because he remains the same, a dedicated soldier, throughout the novel. In an essay, examine the role of dynamic and static characters in the novel An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Fourteen, Walter finally makes it back to his farm. It is in terrible condition, with feces all over. His baby daughter's grave is desecrated and he discovers that his decorticator is missing. What is the decorticator a symbol of?
Essay Topic 3
In Part Three, Walter attempts to find Von Bishop, the man responsible for taking his farm and decorticator. Walter's purpose in joining the fight is not so much to help his country, but to get revenge on the man responsible for destroying his lifestyle. Write an essay that analyzes the theme of revenge as expressed in An Ice Cream War.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)