|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Part Two, Chapter One?
2. What is Liesl's role at the hospital?
3. What are Felix's professional ambitions?
4. What event saves Felix, causing him to leave the dinner table and go outside?
5. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
2. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
3. How do Gabriel and other British soldiers get trapped in a ditch?
4. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
5. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
6. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
7. Describe Gabriel's recovery in Part Two, Chapter Eleven.
8. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
9. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
10. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part Three, Walter attempts to find Von Bishop, the man responsible for taking his farm and decorticator. Walter's purpose in joining the fight is not so much to help his country, but to get revenge on the man responsible for destroying his lifestyle. Write an essay that analyzes the theme of revenge as expressed in An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
In Part Two, Chapter Thirteen, it is revealed that Charis is having an affair with Gabriel's brother, Felix. Analyze Charis' justification for the affair and the comparison she makes between the two brothers.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the novel, Walter and Felix, start out indifferent to the war. Both think that the war will not effect their lives. However things for Walter change that cause him to take sides and join the war. In an essay, analyze the how Walter and Felix feel about the war, and what changes for both characters that cause them to enter the war.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)