Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who summons Walter to meet him?
2. How much time has elapsed between Part Two, Chapter Three and Part Two, Chapter Four?
3. How much time passes between Part Two Chapters Ten and Eleven?
4. What is the setting of Part One, Chapter Four?
5. What is the African attitude towards the British landing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
2. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
3. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
4. What changes between Charis and Felix at the end of Part Two, Chapter Ten?
5. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
6. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
7. What happens when Felix goes to the pond to think in Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
8. How does Felix end up in Nanda?
9. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
10. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
Essay Topic 1
There are two main settings in the novel An Ice Cream War. In an essay, describe the settings of the novel and analyze the affect the setting will have on the conflict.
Essay Topic 2
What do you know about William Boyd? How has his background influenced the writing of An Ice Cream War? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Major Bilderbeck is an enigmatic character who befriends Gabriel aboard a troop transport ship. His strange mannerisms, specifically his manner of laughing at things that other people do not find immediately funny, might indicate something of an amoral personality. In an essay, write a character analysis of Major Bilderbeck.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)