|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at dinner with his family, what does Felix do that angers the rest of the family?
2. What does Felix find out happens to Cyril?
3. Why are Felix and Holland often discriminated against?
4. What is the destination for Gabriel's unit?
5. Why does Cobb return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
2. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
3. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
4. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
5. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
6. How do Gabriel and other British soldiers get trapped in a ditch?
7. What is shocking about Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
8. What happens when Felix goes to the pond to think in Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
9. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
10. How does Walter try to get his farm back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In An Ice Cream War, Felix Cobb, the protagonist, can be described as a dynamic character because he evolves throughout the novel. Contrary to Felix is his brother, Gabriel. Gabriel is a static character because he remains the same, a dedicated soldier, throughout the novel. In an essay, examine the role of dynamic and static characters in the novel An Ice Cream War.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the novel, Walter and Felix, start out indifferent to the war. Both think that the war will not effect their lives. However things for Walter change that cause him to take sides and join the war. In an essay, analyze the how Walter and Felix feel about the war, and what changes for both characters that cause them to enter the war.
Essay Topic 3
Felix and Gabriel are two brothers who are the main characters in the novel It is clear that there is conflict between the two, but their relationship will play a key role in the novel. Analyze the similarities and differences between Felix and Gabriel and what effect this has on the novel. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,632 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)