|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality are the soldiers Gabriel is with?
2. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
3. Who summons Walter to meet him?
4. Who are the Kings African Rifles?
5. What is wrong with the landing of Gabriel's ship in Part Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gabriel's recovery in Part Two, Chapter Eleven.
2. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
3. What happens with the biplane in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
4. Describe how Felix and Holland react differently to the discrimination they face because they are not in military service.
5. Do you think Von Bishop wants to go after Gabriel? Why or why not?
6. What is Felix's plan to kill Von Bishop?
7. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
8. How does Walter try to get his farm back?
9. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
10. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
Essay Topic 1
An Ice Cream War is about the effects of a European war on the people living in Africa. While the characters in the novel are of European descent, not much notice is given to the local Africans. In an essay, analyze the effect the war is having on the African people.
Essay Topic 2
What is Felix's motivation for being in the war? Write an essay that analyzes the theme of redemption as related to Felix's motivation for serving in the war.
Essay Topic 3
Major Bilderbeck is an enigmatic character who befriends Gabriel aboard a troop transport ship. His strange mannerisms, specifically his manner of laughing at things that other people do not find immediately funny, might indicate something of an amoral personality. In an essay, write a character analysis of Major Bilderbeck.
This section contains 1,754 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)