Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who summons Walter to meet him?
2. How much time has elapsed between Part Two, Chapter Three and Part Two, Chapter Four?
3. How much time passes between Part Two Chapters Ten and Eleven?
4. What is the setting of Part One, Chapter Four?
5. What is the African attitude towards the British landing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interactions between Liesl and Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five.
2. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
3. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
4. What changes between Charis and Felix at the end of Part Two, Chapter Ten?
5. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
6. What comparisons does Charis make between the two brothers, Gabriel and Felix?
7. What happens when Felix goes to the pond to think in Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
8. How does Felix end up in Nanda?
9. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
10. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
Essay Topic 1
In Part Two, Chapter Sixteen, Charis writes two letters expressing her guilt to Felix and Gabriel. In Chapter Seventeen, Felix reflects on the letters and has a terrible feeling. He rushes to the pond and finds that Charis has committed suicide. How does Felix know something terrible has happened to Charis? What is Felix's response to his speculation about Charis? What is Felix's responsibility, if any, in Charis' suicide? What effect do you think this will have on Felix?
Essay Topic 2
Gabriel and Felix are brothers and in many ways they are polar opposites. In what ways are Gabriel and Felix opposites? In what ways are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
In Part Two, Chapter Fourteen, Walter finally makes it back to his farm. It is in terrible condition, with feces all over. His baby daughter's grave is desecrated and he discovers that his decorticator is missing. What is the decorticator a symbol of?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)