|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Smith's wife?
2. What is the name of the hotel Smith stays at after leaving his farm?
3. How long does Liesel Von Bishop stay away from Africa?
4. Why is Liesel Von Bishop uncomfortable while traveling in Part One?
5. What is the name of the army Walter joins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gabriel end up injured?
2. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
3. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
4. What happens with the biplane in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
5. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
6. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
7. Describe how Felix and Holland react differently to the discrimination they face because they are not in military service.
8. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
9. What changes between Charis and Felix at the end of Part Two, Chapter Ten?
10. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An Ice Cream War is about the effects of a European war on the people living in Africa. While the characters in the novel are of European descent, not much notice is given to the local Africans. In an essay, analyze the effect the war is having on the African people.
Essay Topic 2
What genre or genres can An Ice Cream War be classified as? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Boyd writes An Ice Cream War using shifting point of views. Describe Boyd's style in reference to point of view and analyze the effect of Boyd's use of a variety of point of views.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)