|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fate comes of Lieutenant Loveday?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is trampled.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He resigns.
2. How does Gabriel stay in the hospital?
(a) By pretending that he can't walk.
(b) By helping out the rest of the nurses.
(c) By bribing the nurses.
(d) By keeping his leg infected.
3. In Charis' letter to Gabriel in Part Two, what detail does she leave out?
(a) The location she is going to.
(b) The amount of her debts.
(c) Where she can be contacted.
(d) The name of her lover.
4. What main event occurs in Part Two, Chapter Four?
(a) Charis is killed.
(b) Gabriel and Liesl begin an affair.
(c) A large battle in Africa.
(d) Gabriel and Felix find each other.
5. What is Felix's role in the British army in Part Four?
(a) Serve as a translator.
(b) Cook meals.
(c) Make maps.
(d) Organize supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gabriel's response when a German officer and two askaris approach him?
2. What obstacle stands in the way for Felix and Gilzean?
3. Describe Charis' health in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
4. What literary device does the author use to describe how Charis' affair started?
5. What happens to the Colonel in Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Gabriel's feelings for Liesl in Part Three?
2. What do you think Felix will do to Von Bishop?
3. What is unusual about Felix's response to Lieutenant Loveday's death?
4. What questions does Dr. Venables ask Felix about Charis?
5. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
6. What is "China Show?"
7. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
8. What are Felix's interactions with Aristedes?
9. Do you think Von Bishop wants to go after Gabriel? Why or why not?
10. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)