|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Charis' letter to Gabriel in Part Two, what detail does she leave out?
(a) The location she is going to.
(b) Where she can be contacted.
(c) The name of her lover.
(d) The amount of her debts.
2. After playing cards, what does Aristedes do?
(a) Looks at pornographic pictures.
(b) Hires a prostitute.
(c) Smokes a cigarette.
(d) Drinks scotch.
3. In Part Three, why will fighting stop for two to three months?
(a) A peace agreement will be reached.
(b) A new infantry is coming to take over.
(c) The rainy season will begin.
(d) Supplies are en route.
4. What song does Charis' lover hum?
(a) Lily of Laguna.
(b) Lady of the Sea.
(c) Man of Pompeii.
(d) Love of My Life.
5. In Part Four, who is Felix to train?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The East Africans.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The Portuguese.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Four, Chapter Two, how does a British soldier arrive in German territory?
2. In Part Three, Chapter Two, who annoys Felix?
3. What does Gabriel do in the evenings at the hospital?
4. Where does Charis' affair begin?
5. What is Gabriel's response when a German officer and two askaris approach him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
2. What consequences do the British face for not heading Walter's advice?
3. What happens when Felix goes to the pond to think in Part Two, Chapter Seventeen?
4. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
5. What political reason is there for Gabriel to remain in the hospital?
6. What is shocking about Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
7. How does Felix end up in Nanda?
8. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
9. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
10. What is Von Bishop's reaction to what happens to Gabriel when he is caught?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)