|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What obstacle stands in the way for Felix and Gilzean?
(a) Lack of supplies.
(b) An African dictator.
(c) A large river.
(d) An enemy attack.
2. From whose point of view is Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
3. What is Felix's title in the British Army in Part Three?
4. In Part Three, Chapter Eight, who does Felix hear from about Gabriel?
(d) Von Bishop.
5. Who helps Gabriel escape?
(c) Von Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles is it from where Felix gets off the train to Kibongo?
2. What fate comes of Lieutenant Loveday?
3. What feeling describes how Charis feels about her affair?
4. In Part Two, Chapter Fourteen, what does the Colonel do with Walter's advice?
5. What song does Charis' lover hum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Gabriel held as a prisoner in Part Three, Chapter Six and how does he escape?
2. What reason, besides political, does Gabriel have for staying in the hospital?
3. Do you think Von Bishop wants to go after Gabriel? Why or why not?
4. How does Felix nearly get shot while teaching the Portuguese troops?
5. Describe the letters Charis writes to Gabriel in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
6. What does Felix decide to do after Charis' funeral?
7. What is "China Show?"
8. What does the author imply about Felix when he describes Liieutenant Loveday's usage of "schoolboy French?"
9. How did the affair between Felix and Charis begin?
10. Why do you think Charis commits suicide?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)