|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Smith's wife?
2. What taboo activity does Smith do in Part One?
(a) Purchases alcohol.
(b) Has his fortune told.
(c) Visits a prostitute.
(d) Smokes cigarettes.
3. Why are Gabriel and his men stranded at anchor for sixteen days?
(a) A mechanical problem.
(b) Mutiny among the crew.
(c) A change in orders.
(d) An administrative mistake.
4. What is the setting of Part One, Chapter Four?
(a) British West Africa.
(b) German East Africa.
5. Where does Walter decide to move his family to?
(b) Boma Durio.
Short Answer Questions
1. The opening scene in the novel takes place:
2. What is the condition of the person who summons Walter?
3. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel is on a ship heading from India to where?
4. On what condition are the wounded allowed to leave Tanga?
5. In Part Two, Chapter Five, what country has fortified Tanga?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
2. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
3. Describe Gabriel's recovery in Part Two, Chapter Eleven.
4. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
5. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
6. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
7. What changes between Charis and Felix at the end of Part Two, Chapter Ten?
8. What do the Germans do to Walter's farm?
9. Describe Felix's interactions with his family in Part One, Chapter Four.
10. In Part One, Chapter Four, why is Felix upset with Gabriel?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)