|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Major Hamish Cobb inspect before dinner?
(a) The sanitation state of the kitchen.
(b) The children's beds.
(c) The children's hands.
(d) The shining of his shoes.
2. What does Smith pack his belongings in?
(a) Nothing. They do not get a chance to pack.
(b) A suitcase.
(d) A buggy.
3. What is the name of Gabriel's doctor?
(a) Dr. Mohna.
(b) Dr. Deppe.
(c) Dr. Dremme.
(d) Dr. Tarnga.
4. Who are the Kings African Rifles?
(a) A group of militant and rebellious African war lords.
(b) The only African troops in the British army.
(c) A group of peace keepers in Africa.
(d) The Kings purchasers of foreign weapons.
5. How long does Liesel Von Bishop stay away from Africa?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two and a half years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes confusion the first night for Gabriel and Charis in France?
2. What is the name of the hotel Smith stays at after leaving his farm?
3. Gabriel and Charis leave France when Austria declares war on who?
4. What event saves Felix, causing him to leave the dinner table and go outside?
5. Why does Wheech-Browning actually come to Smith's farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
2. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
3. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
4. Describe how Felix and Holland react differently to the discrimination they face because they are not in military service.
5. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
6. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
7. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
8. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
9. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
10. In Part One, Chapter Four, why is Felix upset with Gabriel?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)