|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel Smith stays at after leaving his farm?
(a) The St. Francis.
(b) The Westin.
(c) The Ritz.
(d) The Norfolk.
2. While at dinner with his family, what does Felix do that angers the rest of the family?
(a) Smokes a cigarette.
(b) Brings up past family finance problems.
(c) Tells an off color joke.
(d) Starts a fight.
3. On what condition are the wounded allowed to leave Tanga?
(a) That they will not serve in the military again.
(b) The British agree to leave Tanga and never return.
(c) That they will return to England.
(d) The British pay a ransom.
4. How many children does Smith have in Part One?
5. What is the setting of Part Two, Chapter One?
Short Answer Questions
1. Gabriel and Charis leave France when Austria declares war on who?
2. What happens to the biplane Wheech-Browing flies in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
3. In Part Two, Chapter Ten, what is Felix's first reaction to Amory?
4. What is the African attitude towards the British landing?
5. Who are the askaris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
2. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
3. What happens on Charis and Gabriel's honeymoon?
4. Describe Gabriel's recovery in Part Two, Chapter Eleven.
5. How does Walter try to get his farm back?
6. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
7. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
8. What changes between Charis and Felix at the end of Part Two, Chapter Ten?
9. What happens when an Indian refuses an order by Bilderbeck?
10. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)