|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at dinner with his family, what does Felix do that angers the rest of the family?
(a) Tells an off color joke.
(b) Brings up past family finance problems.
(c) Smokes a cigarette.
(d) Starts a fight.
2. What is the name of the army Walter joins?
(a) West African Volunteers.
(b) West Indies Trading Company.
(c) East African Mounted Rifles.
(d) East African Trade Farmers.
3. What taboo activity does Smith do in Part One?
(a) Smokes cigarettes.
(b) Visits a prostitute.
(c) Purchases alcohol.
(d) Has his fortune told.
4. What does Gabriel mistake bullets for?
5. What causes controversy between Felix and Gabriel?
(a) Their father's view of education.
(b) Felix's role in the ceremony.
(c) Gaberiel's beliefs on war.
(d) Inheritance from their father.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Amory's party, what are Amory and Felix arguing over?
2. Who escorts Bilderbeck to see Gabriel?
3. What is the name of Gabriel's doctor?
4. The ________ continue the ________ campaign to draw _________ resources away from the war in Europe.
5. What event saves Felix, causing him to leave the dinner table and go outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
2. What do the Germans do to Walter's farm?
3. Describe Felix's interactions with his family in Part One, Chapter Four.
4. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
5. Describe how Walter ended up in Africa.
6. How does Gabriel end up injured?
7. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
8. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
9. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
10. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)