|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Smith pack his belongings in?
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A buggy.
(d) Nothing. They do not get a chance to pack.
2. What happens to Wheech-Browning in the plane?
(a) He is lost in the African countryside.
(b) He is taken hostage.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is survives with minor injuries.
3. In Part Two, Chapter Five, what country has fortified Tanga?
4. What is the result of Smith's return to his farm in Part Two, Chapter Three?
(a) Smith joins the army.
(b) Smith decides to leave Africa permanently.
(c) Smith takes out a bank loan.
(d) Smith returns to his family.
5. What are Felix's professional ambitions?
(c) Professional athlete.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the askaris?
2. What causes controversy between Felix and Gabriel?
3. Where does Walter decide to move his family to?
4. While at dinner with his family, what does Felix do that angers the rest of the family?
5. In Part Two, Chapter Nine, what does Charis show Felix?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Felix and Holland react differently to the discrimination they face because they are not in military service.
2. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
3. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
4. What happens on Charis and Gabriel's honeymoon?
5. What happens with the biplane in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
6. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
7. What changes between Charis and Felix at the end of Part Two, Chapter Ten?
8. In Part One, Chapter Four, why is Felix upset with Gabriel?
9. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
10. How does the author use point of view in the novel?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)