|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the army Walter joins?
(a) East African Mounted Rifles.
(b) West African Volunteers.
(c) East African Trade Farmers.
(d) West Indies Trading Company.
2. What does Holland invite Felix too?
(a) A movie premier.
(b) A party hosted by his sister.
(c) An art opening.
(d) His family's Christmas dinner.
3. What is Liesl's role at the hospital?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A candystriper.
(d) A nurse.
4. Why does Smith think Wheech-Browning is coming to his farm?
(a) To collect taxes.
(b) To ask for work.
(c) To sell tobacco.
(d) To date his daughter.
5. The ________ continue the ________ campaign to draw _________ resources away from the war in Europe.
(a) Americans, British, African.
(b) Africans, British, German.
(c) British, German, American.
(d) Germans, African, British.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does Gabriel receive in Part Two, Chapter Four?
2. Where does Felix run into a prostitute?
3. What taboo activity does Smith do in Part One?
4. How much time passes between Part Two Chapters Ten and Eleven?
5. In Part Two, Chapter Nine, what does Charis show Felix?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
2. How does Gabriel end up injured?
3. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
4. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
5. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
6. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
7. In Part One, Chapter Four, why is Felix upset with Gabriel?
8. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
9. What do the Germans do to Walter's farm?
10. How do Gabriel and other British soldiers get trapped in a ditch?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)