|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Gabriel visit with during the voyage?
(a) Reverand Norman Espie.
(c) Major Bilderbeck.
(d) Liesel Von Bishop.
2. What is the name of the army Walter joins?
(a) East African Mounted Rifles.
(b) West Indies Trading Company.
(c) East African Trade Farmers.
(d) West African Volunteers.
3. What limits Gabriel's ability to see while marching towards Tanga?
(b) A sandstorm.
(c) Dense vegetation.
(d) Bright sunlight.
4. The opening scene in the novel takes place:
(a) Swimming in a pond.
(b) In a jail cell.
(c) In a dream sequence.
(d) On a train.
5. What frustrates Walter in the army?
(b) His commander.
(c) His pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the African attitude towards the British landing?
2. What nationality are the soldiers Gabriel is with?
3. At Amory's party, what are Amory and Felix arguing over?
4. What is Mr. Essanje's occupation?
5. Why are Gabriel and his men stranded at anchor for sixteen days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Felix end up in Nanda?
2. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
3. What news does Von Bishop receive by motorcycle?
4. What is shocking about Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
5. What is the purpose of Wheech-Browning's visit to Walter's farm?
6. In Part Two, Chapter Six, what does Gabriel mistake gunfire for?
7. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
8. How do Gabriel and other British soldiers get trapped in a ditch?
9. What does Felix find when he reaches Von Bishop?
10. What changes Felix's mind about spending time on Walter's farm and then returning to England?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)