|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bilderbeck's response to a refusal of an Indian soldier to fight?
(a) He sends him back to the boat.
(b) He shoots him in the head.
(c) He hits him with his rifle.
(d) He yells expletives at him.
2. What does Gabriel mistake bullets for?
3. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
4. How much time has elapsed between Part Two, Chapter Three and Part Two, Chapter Four?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) One year.
5. What is the name of the hotel Smith stays at after leaving his farm?
(a) The Ritz.
(b) The Norfolk.
(c) The St. Francis.
(d) The Westin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the destination for Gabriel's unit?
2. What body part of Gleeson's is destroyed?
3. Who are the Kings African Rifles?
4. What is the condition of the person who summons Walter?
5. What is the name of Smith's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Part Two, Chapter Five when Gabriel's unit goes ashore?
2. What changes Walter's stance on joining the army?
3. Describe Felix's reaction to Amory at the party at her apartment.
4. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
5. What are Felix's plans after the wedding?
6. How does Walter try to get his farm back?
7. Summarize what Gabriel reflects on since his honeymoon while aboard a ship from India to Africa.
8. What do the Germans do to Walter's farm?
9. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
10. How do Gabriel and other British soldiers get trapped in a ditch?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)