|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What frustrates Walter in the army?
(a) His pay.
(d) His commander.
2. Why does Smith think Wheech-Browning is coming to his farm?
(a) To ask for work.
(b) To collect taxes.
(c) To sell tobacco.
(d) To date his daughter.
3. What is the setting of Part Two, Chapter One?
4. Gabriel and Charis leave France when Austria declares war on who?
5. Why does Wheech-Browning actually come to Smith's farm?
(a) To offer a ride to town.
(b) To bring him fertilizer.
(c) To read him the Bible.
(d) To tell Smith to evacuate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Felix find out happens to Cyril?
2. While at the hospital, what news of the war does Liesl hear?
3. What causes the Germans to fire on Gabriel?
4. In Part Two, Chapter Eight, what ails Felix?
5. How much time passes between Part Two Chapters Ten and Eleven?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gabriel end up injured?
2. Describe Gabriel's recovery in Part Two, Chapter Eleven.
3. Describe how Felix and Holland react differently to the discrimination they face because they are not in military service.
4. In Part One, Chapter Four, why is Felix upset with Gabriel?
5. Describe the Von Bishops relationship.
6. What does Charis show Felix at her cottage and what does Felix explain to her?
7. What are Walter's thoughts on a war early in the novel?
8. What is Walter's experience in the army like in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
9. What benefit is Bilderbeck to Gabriel?
10. In Part Two, Chapter Four, Gabriel receives three letters. What do the letters say and who are they from?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)