|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary device does the author use to describe how Charis' affair started?
2. In Part Four, Chapter Two, how does a British soldier arrive in German territory?
(a) By foot.
(b) By motorcycle.
(c) By train.
(d) By car.
3. What alerts the Germans to Gabriel in Part Three, Chapter Five?
(a) A dog barks.
(b) Liesl tells the German officers.
(c) Gabriel trips.
(d) A branch breaks.
4. What shocks Walter when he enters his house?
(a) That it is immaculate.
(b) That it is empty.
(c) The broken glass.
(d) The smell.
5. What alerts the Germans to the whereabouts of Gabriel?
(a) A fire.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) Gabriel's tracks.
(d) Gabriel's scent.
6. What main event occurs in Part Two, Chapter Four?
(a) Charis is killed.
(b) A large battle in Africa.
(c) Gabriel and Liesl begin an affair.
(d) Gabriel and Felix find each other.
7. Describe Charis' health in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
(a) Charis has developed serious cancer.
(b) Charis is relatively healthy.
(c) Charis is not feeling well.
(d) Charis is in perfect health.
8. From whose point of view is Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
(c) Von Bishop's.
9. What evidence is there that Gabriel is dead?
(a) His lifeless body.
(b) Eyewitness accounts from the native Africans.
(c) Gabriel's tracks end at a cliff.
(d) His severed head.
10. After playing cards, what does Aristedes do?
(a) Hires a prostitute.
(b) Drinks scotch.
(c) Looks at pornographic pictures.
(d) Smokes a cigarette.
11. What news does the British soldier arriving in German territory bring?
(a) That the Germans should retreat or face destruction.
(b) That the fighting continues in southern Africa.
(c) That the Americans have entered the war.
(d) The war is over.
12. What is Gabriel's response when a German officer and two askaris approach him?
(a) Gabriel faints.
(b) Garbriel surrenders.
(c) Gabriel vommits.
(d) Gabriel flees.
13. At the end of Part Three, what information does Felix need to know?
(a) Where Gabriel's body has been transferred to.
(b) How to get back to England.
(c) Why Gabriel escaped.
(d) The name of the German officer.
14. In Part Three, Chapter Five, how long has Gabriel been a prisoner?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 1 year.
15. Whose grave is desecrated at Walter's house in Part Two?
(a) Walter's elderly mother.
(b) Walter's wife.
(c) Walter's baby daughter.
(d) Walter's former servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose perspective is Part Three, Chapter Six?
2. What is Walter's assignment in the British army?
3. In Part Three, why will fighting stop for two to three months?
4. After the war, what changes Felix's plans?
5. What does Gabriel do in the evenings at the hospital?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)