|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Given the clues at the end of Part Two, what conclusion can be drawn about Charis?
(a) That she is an alcoholic.
(b) That she is pregnant.
(c) That she is psychotic.
(d) That she had an abortion.
2. In Part Four, what does Wheech-Browning bring in a truck?
(a) Small artillery pieces.
(b) Food and water.
(d) Bibles and prayer books.
3. In Part Four, Chapter Two, what causes many German soldiers to die?
(b) An attack by the British.
(d) Spanish influenza.
4. After playing cards, what does Aristedes do?
(a) Looks at pornographic pictures.
(b) Smokes a cigarette.
(c) Drinks scotch.
(d) Hires a prostitute.
5. In Charis' letter to Gabriel in Part Two, what does she tell him?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she cannot stay married to him.
(c) That she is returning to school.
(d) The details of her affair.
6. In Part Three, Chapter Two, who annoys Felix?
(a) Sergeant Gilzean.
(b) Lieutenant Loveday.
(c) Officer Smith.
7. What main event occurs in Part Two, Chapter Four?
(a) Gabriel and Liesl begin an affair.
(b) A large battle in Africa.
(c) Gabriel and Felix find each other.
(d) Charis is killed.
8. For Charis, what does the end of the war mean?
(a) Her baby will be due.
(b) Gabriel will return.
(c) Felix will go away.
(d) She will return to work.
9. What is Walter's assignment in the British army?
(a) Local expert.
(b) Gun cleaner.
(d) Supply officer.
10. What song does Charis' lover hum?
(a) Man of Pompeii.
(b) Lady of the Sea.
(c) Love of My Life.
(d) Lily of Laguna.
11. What is Felix's title in the British Army in Part Three?
12. Who is Charis having an affair with in Part Two, Chapter 13?
(a) No one.
13. In Part Three, Chapter Eight, what does Felix wonder about Loveday?
(a) What Loveday might have said in French.
(b) Where Loveday will go.
(c) What Loveday might have looked like.
(d) What Loveday will do next.
14. What happens to Lieutenant Loveday while leading Felix's unit?
(a) He steps on a mine.
(b) He has an encounter with a rhino.
(c) He leads the troops to the wrong location.
(d) He takes enemy fire.
15. In Part Four, Chapter One, what does Wheech-Browning accidentally do?
(a) Leak a secret.
(b) Trip on a land mine.
(c) Wreck a car.
(d) Fire a weapon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gabriel stay in the hospital?
2. Where does Charis meet her lover in a hotel room?
3. What does the doctor suspect of Charis?
4. In Part Three, where does Felix ask to be stationed?
5. Where does Charis' affair begin?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)