|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Liesl visits Gabriel in confinement, how do they communicate?
(a) Through a crack in the wall.
(b) While Liesl brings in food and water.
(c) Through tapping signals in the wall.
(d) By note passed under the door.
2. What form of transportation does Charis and her lover use leaving the hotel?
(c) They walk.
3. What literary device does the author use to describe how Charis' affair started?
4. What obstacle stands in the way for Felix and Gilzean?
(a) A large river.
(b) An enemy attack.
(c) Lack of supplies.
(d) An African dictator.
5. What do the birds circling indicate?
(a) There is a tribe present.
(b) A fire has been put out.
(c) Something is dead.
(d) Humans have been in that location.
6. Describe Charis' health in Part Two, Chapter Sixteen.
(a) Charis is not feeling well.
(b) Charis is relatively healthy.
(c) Charis has developed serious cancer.
(d) Charis is in perfect health.
7. In Part Four, Chapter Two, what causes many German soldiers to die?
(b) An attack by the British.
(c) Spanish influenza.
8. How many miles is it from where Felix gets off the train to Kibongo?
(a) 100 miles.
(b) 120 miles.
(c) 30 miles.
(d) 60 miles.
9. In Part Four, Chapter Two, how does a British soldier arrive in German territory?
(a) By motorcycle.
(b) By train.
(c) By car.
(d) By foot.
10. Where does Charis meet her lover in a hotel room?
11. From whose point of view is Part Two, Chapter Sixteen?
12. In Part Two, Chapter Three, who is Gabriel in love with?
13. In Part Three, why will fighting stop for two to three months?
(a) The rainy season will begin.
(b) Supplies are en route.
(c) A peace agreement will be reached.
(d) A new infantry is coming to take over.
14. Given the clues at the end of Part Two, what conclusion can be drawn about Charis?
(a) That she is an alcoholic.
(b) That she is pregnant.
(c) That she is psychotic.
(d) That she had an abortion.
15. Who helps Gabriel escape?
(a) Von Bishop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Part Two, Chapter Fourteen?
2. In Part Three, Chapter Five, how long has Gabriel been a prisoner?
3. A zeppelin is referred to as what by the Germans?
4. What happens to Lieutenant Loveday while leading Felix's unit?
5. In Part Three, Chapter Eight, who does Felix hear from about Gabriel?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)