|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Felix and Holland often discriminated against?
(a) They are not in the military.
(b) They are suspected of being gay.
(c) They are of a different race.
(d) They are college students.
2. How many letters does Gabriel receive in Part Two, Chapter Four?
3. What is the African attitude towards the British landing?
(a) They are pleased.
(b) They are resistant.
(c) They are excited.
(d) They are accepting.
4. How do Gabriel and his men get to shore in Part Two, Chapter Five?
(a) Small boats.
(b) They walk on the dock.
(c) They swim.
(d) Inflatable rafts.
5. Who does Gabriel visit with during the voyage?
(a) Liesel Von Bishop.
(c) Major Bilderbeck.
(d) Reverand Norman Espie.
6. Where is Walter Smith from?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
7. Where do Gabriel and Charis first meet?
8. The opening scene in the novel takes place:
(a) Swimming in a pond.
(b) In a jail cell.
(c) In a dream sequence.
(d) On a train.
9. What happens to the biplane Wheech-Browing flies in Part Two, Chapter Twelve?
(a) The plane gets lost.
(b) The plane crashes.
(c) The plane discovers a rogue African army.
(d) The plane gets shot down.
10. How long does Liesel Von Bishop stay away from Africa?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Two and a half years.
11. In Part Two, Chapter Eight, what ails Felix?
(a) Athlete's foot.
(b) A sprained ankle.
(c) A cold sore.
(d) Pink eye.
12. Who are the askaris?
(c) African children.
(d) Native soldiers.
13. In Part Two, Chapter Nine, what does Charis show Felix?
(a) Her engagement ring.
(b) Gabriel's dog tags.
(c) Letters Gabriel began writing.
(d) Old family photos.
14. What taboo activity does Smith do in Part One?
(a) Visits a prostitute.
(b) Smokes cigarettes.
(c) Has his fortune told.
(d) Purchases alcohol.
15. What is the name of the second hospital Gabriel is at?
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the hospital, what news of the war does Liesl hear?
2. While at dinner with his family, what does Felix do that angers the rest of the family?
3. The British attack on Tanga is a __________________.
4. What causes confusion the first night for Gabriel and Charis in France?
5. What is Norman Espie's title?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)