|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the African attitude towards the British landing?
(a) They are accepting.
(b) They are pleased.
(c) They are resistant.
(d) They are excited.
2. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
3. What is the result of Smith's return to his farm in Part Two, Chapter Three?
(a) Smith joins the army.
(b) Smith returns to his family.
(c) Smith takes out a bank loan.
(d) Smith decides to leave Africa permanently.
4. How many telegrams did Felix's family receive about Gabriel?
5. What does Smith pack his belongings in?
(b) A buggy.
(c) A suitcase.
(d) Nothing. They do not get a chance to pack.
6. What causes the Germans to fire on Gabriel?
(a) Gleeson sacrifices himself for the rest of the infantry.
(b) Gabriel is caught in the open.
(c) The Indians fire on a British officer.
(d) Gabriel fires on a German officer.
7. How many children does Smith have in Part One?
8. Where does Walter decide to move his family to?
(d) Boma Durio.
9. On what condition are the wounded allowed to leave Tanga?
(a) That they will return to England.
(b) The British pay a ransom.
(c) That they will not serve in the military again.
(d) The British agree to leave Tanga and never return.
10. Who does Felix stop to see on his way home from the nightclub?
(a) His parents.
11. How do Gabriel and his men get to shore in Part Two, Chapter Five?
(a) They swim.
(b) Inflatable rafts.
(c) Small boats.
(d) They walk on the dock.
12. What is Norman Espie's title?
13. How long does Liesel Von Bishop stay away from Africa?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two and a half years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One year.
14. What event saves Felix, causing him to leave the dinner table and go outside?
(a) The power goes out.
(b) A war siren goes off.
(c) An earthquake strikes.
(d) A bombing raid begins.
15. Why does Smith think Wheech-Browning is coming to his farm?
(a) To collect taxes.
(b) To sell tobacco.
(c) To ask for work.
(d) To date his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does Gabriel receive in Part Two, Chapter Four?
2. What is the condition of the person who summons Walter?
3. What does Felix find out happens to Cyril?
4. What does Major Hamish Cobb inspect before dinner?
5. Where does Felix run into a prostitute?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)