|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who escorts Bilderbeck to see Gabriel?
(a) Sir Arthur.
(b) Major Gleeson.
(c) Von Bishop.
(d) No one. Bilderbeck goes alone.
2. The British attack on Tanga is a __________________.
(a) Complete failure.
(b) Military success.
(c) Diplomatic achievement.
(d) Zero sum game.
3. How do Gabriel and his men get to shore in Part Two, Chapter Five?
(a) They swim.
(b) Small boats.
(c) Inflatable rafts.
(d) They walk on the dock.
4. What is the name of Gabriel's doctor?
(a) Dr. Deppe.
(b) Dr. Dremme.
(c) Dr. Mohna.
(d) Dr. Tarnga.
5. What is Liesl's role at the hospital?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A candystriper.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A doctor.
6. How much time passes between Part Two Chapters Ten and Eleven?
(a) Three months.
(b) One week.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
7. What taboo activity does Smith do in Part One?
(a) Visits a prostitute.
(b) Purchases alcohol.
(c) Smokes cigarettes.
(d) Has his fortune told.
8. In Part Two, Chapter Five, what country has fortified Tanga?
9. What does Major Hamish Cobb inspect before dinner?
(a) The sanitation state of the kitchen.
(b) The shining of his shoes.
(c) The children's beds.
(d) The children's hands.
10. What mode of transportation does Smith use in Part One?
11. Who does Gabriel visit with during the voyage?
(b) Reverand Norman Espie.
(c) Major Bilderbeck.
(d) Liesel Von Bishop.
12. In Part Two, Chapter Ten, what is Felix's first reaction to Amory?
(a) He is annoyed that she ignores him.
(b) He is impressed with her apartment.
(c) He thinks she is naked.
(d) He thinks he is at the wrong house.
13. Where does Walter decide to move his family to?
(c) Boma Durio.
14. The opening scene in the novel takes place:
(a) Swimming in a pond.
(b) On a train.
(c) In a dream sequence.
(d) In a jail cell.
15. What does Gabriel mistake bullets for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What limits Gabriel's ability to see while marching towards Tanga?
2. The ________ continue the ________ campaign to draw _________ resources away from the war in Europe.
3. In Part Two, Chapter Five, how many soldiers remain on shore with Gabriel?
4. What nationality of soldiers are responsible for Gabriel fleeing?
5. Why are Gabriel and his men stranded at anchor for sixteen days?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)