|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wheech-Browning actually come to Smith's farm?
(a) To tell Smith to evacuate.
(b) To offer a ride to town.
(c) To read him the Bible.
(d) To bring him fertilizer.
2. Where does Smith send his family?
(a) To England.
(b) With Felix Cooper.
(c) With Norman Espie.
(d) Away from Africa.
3. The ________ continue the ________ campaign to draw _________ resources away from the war in Europe.
(a) British, German, American.
(b) Germans, African, British.
(c) Americans, British, African.
(d) Africans, British, German.
4. What university is Felix set to attend?
5. Why is Liesel Von Bishop uncomfortable while traveling in Part One?
(a) The heat.
(b) The noise.
(c) She is ill.
(d) The smell.
6. Who is Felix in love with?
7. On what condition are the wounded allowed to leave Tanga?
(a) The British pay a ransom.
(b) That they will not serve in the military again.
(c) The British agree to leave Tanga and never return.
(d) That they will return to England.
8. What nationality of soldiers are responsible for Gabriel fleeing?
9. The opening scene in the novel takes place:
(a) In a dream sequence.
(b) Swimming in a pond.
(c) In a jail cell.
(d) On a train.
10. How many children does Smith have in Part One?
11. What happens to Wheech-Browning in the plane?
(a) He is taken hostage.
(b) He is survives with minor injuries.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is lost in the African countryside.
12. What does Gabriel mistake bullets for?
13. What is the name of Gabriel's doctor?
(a) Dr. Deppe.
(b) Dr. Mohna.
(c) Dr. Dremme.
(d) Dr. Tarnga.
14. Who are the askaris?
(b) Native soldiers.
(c) African children.
15. What is the name of the army Walter joins?
(a) West Indies Trading Company.
(b) East African Mounted Rifles.
(c) West African Volunteers.
(d) East African Trade Farmers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Norman Espie's title?
2. What is the name of the hotel Smith stays at after leaving his farm?
3. What is the result of Smith's return to his farm in Part Two, Chapter Three?
4. Who burns Smith's crops?
5. Where does Felix run into a prostitute?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)