|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Locke say people should use language?
(a) In ways that lead to interesting visions.
(b) In ways that can be understood.
(c) In ways that undermine received truths.
(d) In ways that express personality.
2. Discerning is the ability to do what, according to Locke?
(a) Evaluate the propriety of things.
(b) Test an idea's truth value.
(c) Correct one's ideas.
(d) Distinguish between things.
3. Abstraction is the ability to do what, according to Locke?
(a) Deduce a meaning from a category.
(b) Turn an idea into a representative.
(c) Contradict an idea.
(d) See a concept in a sense experience.
4. What does Locke say retention allows us to do?
(a) Evaluate ideas.
(b) Organize ideas.
(c) Forget ideas.
(d) Store ideas.
5. What does Locke say we use when we define a word?
(a) A prophecy.
(b) An image.
(c) A memory of pleasure or pain.
(d) The next general word.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Locke use an example to illustrate mode?
2. What does Locke say is another word for retention?
3. What do cause and effect derive from according to Locke?
4. What branch of philosophy derives from Locke's ideas about pain and pleasure?
5. Composition is the ability to do what, according to Locke?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)