|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. General Sir Alan Brooke, chief of the Imperial General Staff, had strong opinions about Eisenhower. Which statement best represents his opinion?
2. What percentage of Panzers taking part of OCHSENKOPF were either destroyed or disabled?
3. What was General Everlegh confident would fall before the end of Christmas Day?
4. The death of Admiral Darlan is considered to have had what effect on the Allies?
5. What is Longstop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision did General Omar Bradley help Eisenhower to make by giving him a frank opinion on 'the command here?'
2. How was Longstop positioned so that it represented a strategic point?
3. Characteristic of his history of fighting half measures, what command objective did Fredendall insert in Ward's attack plan on Maknassy pass? And how was it answered by Arnim?
4. Why did Terry Allen order Bill Darby's rangers on a secret mission to attack the defile held by enemy artillery recently routed from Gafsa?
5. What was the goal of operation SATIN?
6. What controversial proclamation was made by Roosevelt that Churchill later, and probably falsely, claimed had caught him short?
7. What character trait made Robinett a difficult officer to command?
8. General Sir Alan Brooke, is characterized as one of the great generals of the war. But what tragedy in 1925 changed his charmed life and what permanent effects did it have?
9. What was the first administrative struggle Patton faced when taking over II Corps?
10. Why was Fredendall's defense plan for Faid Pass considered a World War I defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Allied mistakes that led to Fruhlingswind's success. Also discuss how this was an unanticipated success for the Axis.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the causes of the Anglophobia and tension between the American-British Alliance that grew in the ranks of American and British troops over the course of the North African war.
Essay Topic 3
Regarding his response to orders from AFHQ, fighting style, and troop deployment, what aspects of Bradley's command were unusual? Should they be considered effective?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)