|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of command played an important part in the Axis' stalling operation OCHSENKOPF?
2. According to Eisenhower, Fredendall was offered a 'soft landing' for what reason?
3. Who was General Nehring replaced by?
4. According to the author, what mistake did Ward make after taking Sened station and Maknassy.
5. What was Fruhlingswind?
Short Essay Questions
1. General Harold Alexander is introduced in Chapter 9, what was his position and what was his mission?
2. Why did Terry Allen order Bill Darby's rangers on a secret mission to attack the defile held by enemy artillery recently routed from Gafsa?
3. How was Longstop positioned so that it represented a strategic point?
4. What was the goal of operation SATIN?
5. How did the Axis 'draft' Tunisian Jews for work details around Bizerte and Tunis?
6. What two peculiarities does the author use to characterize Major General Orlando Ward?
7. What effect did the War in North Africa have on the American city of Red Oak?
8. What decision did General Omar Bradley help Eisenhower to make by giving him a frank opinion on 'the command here?'
9. What character trait made Robinett a difficult officer to command?
10. What was the first administrative struggle Patton faced when taking over II Corps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the prologue to the book, the author addresses the issue of Anglophilia between the British and the Americans. In what way was this shared prior to the bombing on Pearl Harbor? And in what way did the two world leaders, Churchill and Roosevelt, maintain it on a personal level? Finally, what was the trickle down effect on the war's generals?
Essay Topic 2
Lloyd Fredendall is characterized in the book as a poor commander reluctant to go on the offensive who was instead often satisfied with trifling actions. What instances does the author provide for this? How is the tunneling of Speedy Valley and his bizarre communications code a possible symbol of this man's mentality?
Essay Topic 3
Regarding his response to orders from AFHQ, fighting style, and troop deployment, what aspects of Bradley's command were unusual? Should they be considered effective?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)