|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strategic assessment did Arnim and Rommel agree on?
2. What did Ward, Robinette and Dickson try to convince Fredendall, Eisenhower and Anderson of?
3. Who is the German aristocratic colonel captured by allies who later planned a bomb plot against Hitler?
4. What criticism does the author make of Speedy Valley during the course of Furlingswind?
5. Drake's command "Bust the Balloon," meant what:
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Axis 'draft' Tunisian Jews for work details around Bizerte and Tunis?
2. Characteristic of his history of fighting half measures, what command objective did Fredendall insert in Ward's attack plan on Maknassy pass? And how was it answered by Arnim?
3. What was the goal of operation SATIN?
4. Old Mac's counterattack at Faid Pass was probably too small a force, but what other mistake did Old Mac make in putting forth the attack?
5. What character trait made Robinett a difficult officer to command?
6. What controversial proclamation was made by Roosevelt that Churchill later, and probably falsely, claimed had caught him short?
7. How was Longstop positioned so that it represented a strategic point?
8. What was the first administrative struggle Patton faced when taking over II Corps?
9. General Sir Alan Brooke, is characterized as one of the great generals of the war. But what tragedy in 1925 changed his charmed life and what permanent effects did it have?
10. What decision did General Omar Bradley help Eisenhower to make by giving him a frank opinion on 'the command here?'
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Allied mistakes that led to Fruhlingswind's success. Also discuss how this was an unanticipated success for the Axis.
Essay Topic 2
Luck in battle is a common theme in the book. In the Naval battle for Casablanca can you describe the instances of luck for the French and then the American's that threads through this part of the conflict?
Essay Topic 3
How did Fredendall's order to attack Sened Station lead to the successful German attack Fruhlingswind, three weeks later?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)