|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What order threatened the success of Rommel's push on Tebessa?
2. Who made the following statement: "It is pardonable to be defeated, but unpardonable to be surprised."
3. What criticism does the author make of Speedy Valley during the course of Furlingswind?
4. Who replaced Ward's command?
5. According to Bradley, what did the American military achieve in the battle of El Guettar in Mid-March 1943?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first administrative struggle Patton faced when taking over II Corps?
2. What was the goal of operation SATIN?
3. What was 'Texas?'
4. Characteristic of his history of fighting half measures, what command objective did Fredendall insert in Ward's attack plan on Maknassy pass? And how was it answered by Arnim?
5. In Chapter Six, the assassination of Admiral Darlan is explained. Describe the Assassin's political cause.
6. Why was Fredendall's defense plan for Faid Pass considered a World War I defense?
7. What new artillery techniques did the American gunners utilize in routing the 10th Panzers from El Guettar?
8. How was Longstop positioned so that it represented a strategic point?
9. Describe the ancient city Eisenhower visited while the attack in Sidi Bou Zid was taking place?
10. Old Mac's counterattack at Faid Pass was probably too small a force, but what other mistake did Old Mac make in putting forth the attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What Allied mistakes were made in their attempt to take Longstop hill in December 1942 and were any of these mistakes repeated? In what way did these errors affect the relationship between the 'cousins?' Finally, what consequence for the war as a whole did this battle have?
Essay Topic 2
Regarding his response to orders from AFHQ, fighting style, and troop deployment, what aspects of Bradley's command were unusual? Should they be considered effective?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Axis command tamper with Rommels planned attack on Tebessa? Had the plan been executed according to Rommel's original scheme what would have been the possible consequences?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)