|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hitler reinforced Tunis because of what realization, according to the author?
2. While Patton was made a national hero in taking Casablanca, which defects were also revealed, according to the author?
3. What plan did Colonel Frank Greer suggest that was countermanded by Terry Allen?
4. According to the author, General Patton had condensed his extensive study of history and military art down to one manifesto. What was it?
5. What best describes the enemy structure referred to as the 'Kasbah' by Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. On November 27th, the First Argyles were ambushed on Highway 7. What basic precautions did forsake that might have saved them from being surprised?
2. Even after the attack on Pearl Harbor, why did Roosevelt believe 'Germany First' was the proper strategy?
3. Describe Brigadier General Ted Roosevelt.
4. What considerations did Terry Allen cite in bypassing St. Cloud?
5. How did the coincidental presence of Admiral Darlan negatively effect the mission of Robert Murphy?
6. In planning for the war, what risky initial American strategy did the British succeed in overturning?
7. In the first tank battle of World War II between Germans and Americans, the commander, John Waters, used Captain Siglin's twelve tank force in what manner?
8. An aspect of TORCH that affected each layer of command was a lack of information about how the coordinated effort was going. According to the author, how was Patton's approach to this ambiguity different?
9. Describe the term Anglo-American.
10. Who supposedly made the following statement? "Whoever has Medjez-el-Bab has the key to the door, and is the master of all Tunisia."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luck in battle is a common theme in the book. In the Naval battle for Casablanca can you describe the instances of luck for the French and then the American's that threads through this part of the conflict?
Essay Topic 2
What Allied mistakes were made in their attempt to take Longstop hill in December 1942 and were any of these mistakes repeated? In what way did these errors affect the relationship between the 'cousins?' Finally, what consequence for the war as a whole did this battle have?
Essay Topic 3
Regarding his response to orders from AFHQ, fighting style, and troop deployment, what aspects of Bradley's command were unusual? Should they be considered effective?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)