|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The signal "Advance Napoleon," was issues by Eisenhower which indicated what to the troops readying operation VILLAIN?
2. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
3. What plan did Colonel Frank Greer suggest that was countermanded by Terry Allen?
4. While information on the attack was slow to come into headquarters, Eisenhower did not believe which report:
5. What decision by Rear Admiral Hewitt was considered "a brave decision, the decision of a commander," by Lord Lewis Mountbatten, the commander of British amphibious forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even after the attack on Pearl Harbor, why did Roosevelt believe 'Germany First' was the proper strategy?
2. What locations did the Allies use as a rouse for the destination of Hewitt's fleet and Task force 34, and what deception plans did they use to that end?
3. Although Eisenhower professed "a violent hatred of the Axis and all that is stands for," the author doubts this. What does both Eisenhower and the American troops generally lack through much of the North Africa War?
4. In the aftermath of the German attack on Medjez-el-Bab, McGinnis is relieved from Duty. Why?
5. What ultimatum did Patton make to the French at Casablanca after hearing that a French cease fire had been ordered?
6. On November 27th, the First Argyles were ambushed on Highway 7. What basic precautions did forsake that might have saved them from being surprised?
7. In planning for the war, what risky initial American strategy did the British succeed in overturning?
8. Who supposedly made the following statement? "Whoever has Medjez-el-Bab has the key to the door, and is the master of all Tunisia."
9. How did America support the Allied cause before formally joining the war?
10. Describe the American military cemetery at Carthage, Tunisia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did Axis command tamper with Rommels planned attack on Tebessa? Had the plan been executed according to Rommel's original scheme what would have been the possible consequences?
Essay Topic 2
What Allied mistakes were made in their attempt to take Longstop hill in December 1942 and were any of these mistakes repeated? In what way did these errors affect the relationship between the 'cousins?' Finally, what consequence for the war as a whole did this battle have?
Essay Topic 3
A major preoccupation of Eisenhower was politics. He was routinely criticized for spending more time concerned about political issues than commanding the front. What were his main areas of concern? And was this criticism accurate? Finally, how did forces conspire to form a solution to this at the Casablanca conference?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)