|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What maps of Morocco were stowed into the holds of the American fleet heading out for TORCH?
2. Rommel was rewarded the Field Marshal's Baton for:
3. What became the unofficial motto of Allied forces in Tunisia?
4. What was Robert Murphy's mission in Algiers?
5. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rear Admiral Hewitt's personal motto?
2. How did the coincidental presence of Admiral Darlan negatively effect the mission of Robert Murphy?
3. Describe the unusual mortar round fired by American troops landing at Arzew.
4. Describe the term Anglo-American.
5. What locations did the Allies use as a rouse for the destination of Hewitt's fleet and Task force 34, and what deception plans did they use to that end?
6. What was the motto of the Big Red One?
7. Describe Brigadier General Ted Roosevelt.
8. How did America support the Allied cause before formally joining the war?
9. Describe the American military cemetery at Carthage, Tunisia.
10. What domestic issues does the author suggest weighed on the President's mind in making the decision to move forward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were operations OCHSENKOPF and CAPRI an important turning point in the war? How did the quartermasters help determine this turning point?
Essay Topic 2
How did Fredendall's order to attack Sened Station lead to the successful German attack Fruhlingswind, three weeks later?
Essay Topic 3
A major preoccupation of Eisenhower was politics. He was routinely criticized for spending more time concerned about political issues than commanding the front. What were his main areas of concern? And was this criticism accurate? Finally, how did forces conspire to form a solution to this at the Casablanca conference?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)