|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What events occurred to the disappointment of Hitler around 1941?
2. Old Ironsides was both the only tank division to see desert battle in WWII, and:
3. The Tine River Valley, where Luftwaffe pilots were attacking about once per hour, was nicknamed what by the troops of the 1st Battalion?
4. In the winter of 1942, which Nation proved the dominant Air force in North Africa?
5. Does the author consider RESERVIST a success?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rear Admiral Hewitt's concept of Velvet?
2. What locations did the Allies use as a rouse for the destination of Hewitt's fleet and Task force 34, and what deception plans did they use to that end?
3. Describe the term Anglo-American.
4. In the first tank battle of World War II between Germans and Americans, the commander, John Waters, used Captain Siglin's twelve tank force in what manner?
5. In Admiral Esteva's response to Hooker Doolittle that "they had better hurry up, because the others will be here within forty-eight hours," who is represented by 'they' and who is represented by 'the others.' And who won the race?
6. What domestic issues does the author suggest weighed on the President's mind in making the decision to move forward?
7. Even after the attack on Pearl Harbor, why did Roosevelt believe 'Germany First' was the proper strategy?
8. What aspect of the RESERVIST plan concerned Winston Churchill and the Americans?
9. What was the reasoning behind the American request that almost no British troops take part in the initial TORCH landings?
10. What was the building the Allies referred to as the Kasbah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the causes of the Anglophobia and tension between the American-British Alliance that grew in the ranks of American and British troops over the course of the North African war.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 2 describes the landings in Operation Torch. The decision to make frontal assaults on the three harbors of Oran, Algiers and Safi was British. Why did they choose this plan of attack and against what conventional wisdom? How did each of these assaults play out?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, the clandestine mission of Mark Clark is described. What was his purpose in this mission and how could have his capture impacted the Allies war effort?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)