|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the enemy structure referred to as the 'Kasbah' by Americans?
2. According to the author, General Patton had condensed his extensive study of history and military art down to one manifesto. What was it?
3. Inspired by the quality of the food during the Torch voyage, the 13th Armored Regiment suggested changing their battle cry to what?
4. Against the wishes of his generals, the president of the United States canceled which plan in preference for a North African invasion?
5. In the winter of 1942, which Nation proved the dominant Air force in North Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. On November 27th, the First Argyles were ambushed on Highway 7. What basic precautions did forsake that might have saved them from being surprised?
2. Describe 'the Boy Captain' Robert R. Moore.
3. Allied ground troops were skeptical of the Allied air force's ability to discriminate between them and the Germans. What incident does the author use to illustrate this mistrust?
4. Admiral Darlan did capitulate and surrender Algiers, but what order was he reluctant to make?
5. What ultimatum did Patton make to the French at Casablanca after hearing that a French cease fire had been ordered?
6. Describe the American military cemetery at Carthage, Tunisia.
7. Describe the unusual mortar round fired by American troops landing at Arzew.
8. In Admiral Esteva's response to Hooker Doolittle that "they had better hurry up, because the others will be here within forty-eight hours," who is represented by 'they' and who is represented by 'the others.' And who won the race?
9. What is Rear Admiral Hewitt's concept of Velvet?
10. How did the coincidental presence of Admiral Darlan negatively effect the mission of Robert Murphy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major preoccupation of Eisenhower was politics. He was routinely criticized for spending more time concerned about political issues than commanding the front. What were his main areas of concern? And was this criticism accurate? Finally, how did forces conspire to form a solution to this at the Casablanca conference?
Essay Topic 2
What features made the fighting at El Guettar the "most severe battle of the three years of warfare." How do you think the poor intelligence on the area contributed to the Allies becoming 'stuck everywhere'? What effect did this have on the troops?
Essay Topic 3
Germany controlled Vichy France through a combination of politics and threat of force. In what way did this control work in the German interest for the first part of the War in Africa? Especially discuss how it relates to Admiral Darlan, Admiral Derrien and Vice Admiral Esteva, and the resistance they gave to American efforts to reach a cease fire.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)