|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first town to be captured by the Allies?
2. What event on November 27 in Toulon represents "one of the greatest acts of self-immolation in military history," according to the author.
3. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
4. What hunch of Eisenhower's in regards to General Giraud looks to be accurate?
5. Why did Darlan revoke his order announcing to all French troops that further battle was futile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who supposedly made the following statement? "Whoever has Medjez-el-Bab has the key to the door, and is the master of all Tunisia."
2. What ultimatum did Patton make to the French at Casablanca after hearing that a French cease fire had been ordered?
3. In the first tank battle of World War II between Germans and Americans, the commander, John Waters, used Captain Siglin's twelve tank force in what manner?
4. In the aftermath of the German attack on Medjez-el-Bab, McGinnis is relieved from Duty. Why?
5. What aspect of the RESERVIST plan concerned Winston Churchill and the Americans?
6. Describe the American military cemetery at Carthage, Tunisia.
7. Describe the term Anglo-American.
8. An aspect of TORCH that affected each layer of command was a lack of information about how the coordinated effort was going. According to the author, how was Patton's approach to this ambiguity different?
9. What was the reasoning behind the American request that almost no British troops take part in the initial TORCH landings?
10. What is Rear Admiral Hewitt's concept of Velvet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were operations OCHSENKOPF and CAPRI an important turning point in the war? How did the quartermasters help determine this turning point?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 2 describes the landings in Operation Torch. The decision to make frontal assaults on the three harbors of Oran, Algiers and Safi was British. Why did they choose this plan of attack and against what conventional wisdom? How did each of these assaults play out?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, the clandestine mission of Mark Clark is described. What was his purpose in this mission and how could have his capture impacted the Allies war effort?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)