|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What encounter occurred on November 26th, one day after the successful raid on the airport in Djedeida, between newly outfitted Panzers and John Water's First Battalion, and is considered a 'draw' by the author?
2. September 1, 1939 marked the first day of a war that would last approximately:
3. According to the author, about how much of his time did Eisenhower spend worrying about political issues at the expense of the Allied cause?
4. What French character was referred to as "a bad man with a narrow outlook and shifty eye," by Winston Churchill?
5. Major Rudolph Barlow's surprise attack on an an Axis airfield discovered outside the city of Djedejida resulted in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first tank battle of World War II between Germans and Americans, the commander, John Waters, used Captain Siglin's twelve tank force in what manner?
2. What was the motto of the Big Red One?
3. Describe the unusual mortar round fired by American troops landing at Arzew.
4. What caused the airplanes in Operation VILLAIN to miss their targets?
5. What personal knowledge made Mark Clark a dangerous leader for a covert mission behind enemy lines?
6. In Admiral Esteva's response to Hooker Doolittle that "they had better hurry up, because the others will be here within forty-eight hours," who is represented by 'they' and who is represented by 'the others.' And who won the race?
7. Who supposedly made the following statement? "Whoever has Medjez-el-Bab has the key to the door, and is the master of all Tunisia."
8. In planning for the war, what risky initial American strategy did the British succeed in overturning?
9. Describe 'the Boy Captain' Robert R. Moore.
10. How did America support the Allied cause before formally joining the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Fredendall's order to attack Sened Station lead to the successful German attack Fruhlingswind, three weeks later?
Essay Topic 2
How were operations OCHSENKOPF and CAPRI an important turning point in the war? How did the quartermasters help determine this turning point?
Essay Topic 3
Germany controlled Vichy France through a combination of politics and threat of force. In what way did this control work in the German interest for the first part of the War in Africa? Especially discuss how it relates to Admiral Darlan, Admiral Derrien and Vice Admiral Esteva, and the resistance they gave to American efforts to reach a cease fire.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)