|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The shortages of necessities at the outset of Anderson's push East, inspired this quote: "The most important thing is never to be apart from your:
2. What kind of memorial fills the American military cemetery at Carthage to mark the graves of American troops?
3. What promise did General Patton make to the President of the United States in the presence of Rear Admiral Hewitt?
4. What was considered "the single most decisive act of the Second World War," by historian Marin Gilbert?
5. What excuse did Patton cite for disobeying orders regarding the planned bombardment of Casablanca.
Short Essay Questions
1. What locations did the Allies use as a rouse for the destination of Hewitt's fleet and Task force 34, and what deception plans did they use to that end?
2. Describe the unusual mortar round fired by American troops landing at Arzew.
3. Describe Brigadier General Ted Roosevelt.
4. How did the coincidental presence of Admiral Darlan negatively effect the mission of Robert Murphy?
5. Describe the term Anglo-American.
6. Describe the American military cemetery at Carthage, Tunisia.
7. An aspect of TORCH that affected each layer of command was a lack of information about how the coordinated effort was going. According to the author, how was Patton's approach to this ambiguity different?
8. Although Eisenhower professed "a violent hatred of the Axis and all that is stands for," the author doubts this. What does both Eisenhower and the American troops generally lack through much of the North Africa War?
9. What considerations did Terry Allen cite in bypassing St. Cloud?
10. What was the building the Allies referred to as the Kasbah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the bureaucratic power of the British, as symbolized in the war room aboard the Bulolo, and the production capabilities of the American's complement one another in this phase of World War II?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, the planning for Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa is described. A major piece of the planning was deciding on the location of the landings. Describe the perils of landing too far to the West, versus the perils of landing too far to the East. Contrast this plan with operation Sledgehammer, which the American's first suggested.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the causes of the Anglophobia and tension between the American-British Alliance that grew in the ranks of American and British troops over the course of the North African war.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)