|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eisenhower promoted Clark to take command of the new 5th Army, who filled the vacancy to command II Corps?
(a) General George S. Patton.
(b) Major General Lloyd Fredendall.
(c) General Harold Alexander.
(d) Major General Omar N. Bradley.
2. What percentage of Panzers taking part of OCHSENKOPF were either destroyed or disabled?
3. What order threatened the success of Rommel's push on Tebessa?
(a) To attack East but only as far as Le Kef.
(b) Repositioning the force futher to the north.
(c) The order to cancel air support.
(d) Only half the tanks requested were allotted to the task.
4. What was Fredendall's success in securing Faid Pass, Sened Station and Maknassy?
(a) In securing no objectives.
(b) In securing all objectives.
(c) In securing Maknassy and Sened Station both, but losing Faid Pass
(d) In securing Faid Pass but neither Sened Station or Maknassy.
5. Why did Ward disagree with the decision to take Sened station?
(a) It gave away their intentions of striking at Maknassy.
(b) It was widely considered a suicide mission.
(c) It could be taken by a smaller, closer, force.
(d) It split his force in four ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of command played an important part in the Axis' stalling operation OCHSENKOPF?
2. Of the 904 men Moore had led on a daring night escape, eventually, how many made it to safety?
3. According to Bradley, what did the American military achieve in the battle of El Guettar in Mid-March 1943?
4. Who made the following statement: "It is pardonable to be defeated, but unpardonable to be surprised."
5. Ultra was able to intercept a German message that informed them the 21st Panzer Division had been ordered forward and that Sunday was to a-day for an operation by Arnim's Fifth Panzer Army. What vital piece of information was missing that would have better prepared the Allies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two peculiarities does the author use to characterize Major General Orlando Ward?
2. What was the first administrative struggle Patton faced when taking over II Corps?
3. General Harold Alexander is introduced in Chapter 9, what was his position and what was his mission?
4. The success of Fruhlingswind had what effect what brother plan?
5. What was 'Texas?'
6. What prescient claim of General 'Santa Clause' Everlegh's would turn out to be true, but not in the way he had hoped?
7. General Sir Alan Brooke, is characterized as one of the great generals of the war. But what tragedy in 1925 changed his charmed life and what permanent effects did it have?
8. In the battle at Mareth, Montgomery made a mid-battle change of plans that his admirers consider one of the boldest decisions of his career. What was the decision?
9. What controversial proclamation was made by Roosevelt that Churchill later, and probably falsely, claimed had caught him short?
10. What new artillery techniques did the American gunners utilize in routing the 10th Panzers from El Guettar?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)