|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of command played an important part in the Axis' stalling operation OCHSENKOPF?
(a) Rommel's risk taking.
(b) Arnim's pessimism.
(c) Kesselring's optimism.
(d) Hitler's distractions in Russia.
2. Combat exhaustion claimed what portion of casualties?
(a) One in seven.
(b) One in fourteen.
(c) One in twenty.
(d) One in ten.
3. What did the H.M.S. Bulolo deliver to Casablanca to assist the British in their cause?
(a) A special forces troop to demostrate new machinery and tactics to make a cross channel landing.
(b) A war room filled with planning studies bound in red leather dispatch folders.
(c) 400 cases of champagne.
(d) A group of captured German informers with specific details on Axis plans.
4. What example does the author give of McQuillin's suggested use of outdated military technology?
(a) The use of homing pigeons to direct his forces on the front.
(b) The construction of a catapult in homage to Hannibal.
(c) Landmines made from bundled grenades.
(d) The use of trip wires made from ration cans filled with rocks.
5. Rommel coined the phrase "Krieg ohne Hass" regarding the two years of war in the desert. What does it mean?
(a) War without hate.
(b) Ineffectual hate.
(c) A battle of supply.
(d) Polite warfare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fredendall's orders to Ward titled "Defense of Faid Position" were based on a poor knowledge of the area and threatened what prospect for the Allied forces?
2. Why did Ward disagree with the decision to take Sened station?
3. What was Fruhlingswind?
4. According to the author, what mistake did Ward make after taking Sened station and Maknassy.
5. What plan did the British press on their American counterparts during the conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character trait made Robinett a difficult officer to command?
2. What was the first administrative struggle Patton faced when taking over II Corps?
3. Rather than focusing on Faid Pass, to what area did Fredendall unsoundly direct the Allied efforts?
4. What new artillery techniques did the American gunners utilize in routing the 10th Panzers from El Guettar?
5. In Chapter Six, the assassination of Admiral Darlan is explained. Describe the Assassin's political cause.
6. Characteristic of his history of fighting half measures, what command objective did Fredendall insert in Ward's attack plan on Maknassy pass? And how was it answered by Arnim?
7. What was the goal of operation SATIN?
8. General Sir Alan Brooke, is characterized as one of the great generals of the war. But what tragedy in 1925 changed his charmed life and what permanent effects did it have?
9. How was Longstop positioned so that it represented a strategic point?
10. Why did Terry Allen order Bill Darby's rangers on a secret mission to attack the defile held by enemy artillery recently routed from Gafsa?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)