|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse did Patton cite for disobeying orders regarding the planned bombardment of Casablanca.
(a) Lack of assumed air superiority.
(b) Excessive enemy resistance.
(c) Pressure from U boats in the channel.
(d) Bulky communications.
2. What maps of Morocco were stowed into the holds of the American fleet heading out for TORCH?
(a) Maps developed by the British Secret Service.
(b) The Encyclopedia Britannica.
(c) Michelin road maps.
(d) Copies of stolen maps from the Germans.
3. Inspired by the quality of the food during the Torch voyage, the 13th Armored Regiment suggested changing their battle cry to what?
(a) "For rations!"
4. What plan did Colonel Frank Greer suggest that was countermanded by Terry Allen?
(a) Utilize the hill as a defilade and wait for tank support.
(b) A creeping artillery barrage through the town of St. Cloud.
(c) Circle the town and cut if off from it's supply of troops from Oran.
(d) A building by building guerrilla campaign by infantry.
5. What did Allen determine to do instead of following Colonel Greer's suggestion?
(a) Concentrate his troops and make one desperate last push.
(b) Bypass St. Cloud.
(c) Use air support and cover of night to take out specific enemy installations.
(d) Bifurcate the city with tanks and take the high ground first.
6. In the winter of 1942, which Nation proved the dominant Air force in North Africa?
7. What was the Service d'Ordre Legionnaire, whom Terry Allen came up against in the battle for St. Cloud?
(a) A battalian of Belgian troops fighting on the side of the Allies.
(b) An expert French artillery division.
(c) French fascists who modeled themselves on the German SS.
(d) French secret service agents who infiltrated the Vichy French ranks.
8. According to Allen, why does a soldier fight?
(a) Because that's what he's trained to do.
(b) To save suffering humanity.
(c) For his country, his family, and his sense of honor.
(d) To prove that his unit is the best in the Army and that he has as much guts as anybody else in the unit.
9. Where did the U.S. deception plans for TORCH suggest possible landing sites for the fleet?
(a) France, Germany or Denmark.
(b) Scandinavia, France or the Middle East.
(c) China, Ethiopia or France.
(d) The Middle East, India or The Istrian Peninsula.
10. What "huge, chairborn force" of more than 1,000 officers and 15,000 enlisted troops occupied 2,000 pieces of real estate in Algiers?
(a) The Luftewaffe
(c) The United Nations
11. While information on the attack was slow to come into headquarters, Eisenhower did not believe which report:
(a) That Patton was re-embarking the landing craft under a truce flag.
(b) That Rommel had launched a counter-offensive attacking Morocco.
(c) That operation VILLAIN appeared to be an Allied success.
(d) That U boats had sank half the fleet.
12. Against the wishes of his generals, the president of the United States canceled which plan in preference for a North African invasion?
(a) Rainbow 5.
13. What event did the President of the United States hope the invasion of North Africa would precede?
(a) Congressional Elections.
(b) The six month mark from the date of declaring war against Japan.
(c) The Christmas holiday.
(d) The Fourth of July.
14. Who did the American contingent meet in Cherchel?
(a) The Desert Fox.
(b) General Mast, the French commander of the Vichy army's XIX Corps.
(c) Benito Mussolini, Commander General of the Italian Africorps.
(d) General Henri Giraud, a senior general capable of uniting the French cause.
15. What new piece of highly effective German equipment was introduced in the battle of November 26th in the Tine Valley?
(a) Rocket launchers on tracks.
(b) Wing mounted anti-personnel guns.
(c) An armor peircing long-barreled 75mm gun mounted on Panzers.
(d) The Bazooka.
Short Answer Questions
1. TORCH is considered by the author to have been:
2. Although the Allies were aware of the numbers of Axis troops pouring into Tunis, they misjudged the situation in what way?
3. General Georges Barre was the only Vichy French commander to refuse to kowtow to the Germans. What did he do?
4. Why did Darlan revoke his order announcing to all French troops that further battle was futile?
5. According to the author, what strategic mistake was repeated at the port of Algiers in operation TERMINAL?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)