|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although the Allies were aware of the numbers of Axis troops pouring into Tunis, they misjudged the situation in what way?
(a) By assuming supply issues would hamper the German's ability to fight.
(b) By assuming these troops were of low category and without motor transport.
(c) By assuming the terrain was in Allied favor.
(d) By assuming these troops were ment to reinforce the Middle East.
2. The initial American strategy for attacking Hitler was summed up by a British general as:
(a) To stop wasting time with Japan and attack Germany with all available means.
(b) To isolate Germany from her Italian allies by infiltrating Austria.
(c) To go for him bald-headed and as soon as possible, by the shortest and most direct route.
(d) To overwhelm North Africa thereby ensuring Spanish neutrality.
3. What did Eisenhower suspect of General Giraud?
(a) A bluff.
(d) Axis sympathies.
4. Based on a supposed indifference to civil liberties, unfair suggestions in the newspapers painted Eisenhower as what?
5. Inspired by the quality of the food during the Torch voyage, the 13th Armored Regiment suggested changing their battle cry to what?
(b) "For rations!"
6. What decision by Rear Admiral Hewitt was considered "a brave decision, the decision of a commander," by Lord Lewis Mountbatten, the commander of British amphibious forces?
(a) To temporarily break the fleet into six parts in order to escape U boats.
(b) To revise the attack and land in force.
(c) To hold off the invasion until better landings could be found.
(d) To move forward with the invasion as planned, despite conflicting weather reports.
7. A British Tommy is quoted as saying:
(a) "To the victor, go the spoils."
(b) "The last war was a war to end war. This war's to start 'em up again."
(c) "Through France passes our shortest route to the Heart of Germany."
(d) "No guts. No glory."
8. What did General Erich von Wulisch tell General Nogues in his farewell call before escaping Fedala?
(a) "Hold you position, Panzers are on their way."
(b) "Surrender while you may... we can provide no support."
(c) "Retreat east and fortify Rommel."
(d) "This is the greatest setback to German arms since 1918... we shall be expelled from Africa."
9. Hitler reinforced Tunis because of what realization, according to the author?
(a) That Italy would not be able to adequately face the size of the Allied force there.
(b) That the Vichy French alliance had collapsed.
(c) That the American claim to plan a landing on the shores of Normandy was a rouse.
(d) That North Africa could be used as a platform for the invasion of southern Europe.
10. The General Lee is described by the author as: "double the Stuart's weight, with a 75mm gun in the hull, a 35mm squirrel rifle in the turret, and four machine guns." What did the author describe as it's flaws?
(a) Terrible range, accuracy and weakness from behind.
(b) Lack of forward armor, speed and maneuverability.
(c) Too wide for city streets, poor at sand travel and expensive.
(d) Height, the large gun could traverse only a couple degrees and was set too low.
11. What was the Service d'Ordre Legionnaire, whom Terry Allen came up against in the battle for St. Cloud?
(a) An expert French artillery division.
(b) French fascists who modeled themselves on the German SS.
(c) A battalian of Belgian troops fighting on the side of the Allies.
(d) French secret service agents who infiltrated the Vichy French ranks.
12. What event did the President of the United States hope the invasion of North Africa would precede?
(a) Congressional Elections.
(b) The Christmas holiday.
(c) The six month mark from the date of declaring war against Japan.
(d) The Fourth of July.
13. What excuse did Patton cite for disobeying orders regarding the planned bombardment of Casablanca.
(a) Excessive enemy resistance.
(b) Lack of assumed air superiority.
(c) Bulky communications.
(d) Pressure from U boats in the channel.
14. What was the first town to be captured by the Allies?
15. What plan did Colonel Frank Greer suggest that was countermanded by Terry Allen?
(a) Utilize the hill as a defilade and wait for tank support.
(b) A creeping artillery barrage through the town of St. Cloud.
(c) Circle the town and cut if off from it's supply of troops from Oran.
(d) A building by building guerrilla campaign by infantry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many platoons had Eisenhower commanded in battle prior to the start of World War II?
2. What became the unofficial motto of Allied forces in Tunisia?
3. According to the author, many American officers were concerned that the British war plan was:
4. What was it that finally broke the Kasbah's defenses?
5. What event on November 27 in Toulon represents "one of the greatest acts of self-immolation in military history," according to the author.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)