|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the American contingent meet in Cherchel?
(a) The Desert Fox.
(b) Benito Mussolini, Commander General of the Italian Africorps.
(c) General Mast, the French commander of the Vichy army's XIX Corps.
(d) General Henri Giraud, a senior general capable of uniting the French cause.
2. What was the Service d'Ordre Legionnaire, whom Terry Allen came up against in the battle for St. Cloud?
(a) A battalian of Belgian troops fighting on the side of the Allies.
(b) French secret service agents who infiltrated the Vichy French ranks.
(c) An expert French artillery division.
(d) French fascists who modeled themselves on the German SS.
3. What two particular subjects did Mark Clark know of that would have made him a valuable capture for the Axis Cause?
(a) Details of TORCH and Ultra.
(b) The two airbases used to cover the landing.
(c) French allies and Italian conspirators.
(d) The identity of several British spies and details of TORCH.
4. What medal did Rear Admiral Hewitt win in World War I?
(a) The Navy Cross for Heroism.
(b) A Medal of Honor.
(c) The rank of Admiral.
(d) The Purple Heart.
5. Upon discovering the American fleet in the Mediterranean, where did Hitler believe it was destined?
(a) The Suez Canal to ensure Allied shipping.
(b) Sicily to establish a launching point to Europe.
(c) Napels or Jerusalem to acquire oil.
(d) Tripoli or Benghazi to trap the Afrika Corps.
6. What was the first town to be captured by the Allies?
7. What event on November 27 in Toulon represents "one of the greatest acts of self-immolation in military history," according to the author.
(a) The destruction of all American Stuart tanks at the front to be replaced by General Lee's.
(b) The scuttling of the Vichy French fleet.
(c) Vichy French high command destroyed their own defensive installations as a sign of faith to the Fascist cause.
(d) Rather than losing another airfield to Allied forces, Germans destroyed 40 of their own planes and fuel reserves.
8. According to the author, about how much of his time did Eisenhower spend worrying about political issues at the expense of the Allied cause?
9. Based on a supposed indifference to civil liberties, unfair suggestions in the newspapers painted Eisenhower as what?
10. Upon being made Mussolini's deputy, what plan did Kesselring devise?
(a) A consolidation of forces aimed at breaking the Allied forces up.
(b) An immediate assault on Oran.
(c) To build a bridgehead around Tunis and plan a counter attack.
(d) To give up North Africa as slowly as possible to buy time for the Axis campaign in Russia.
11. What was operation RESERVIST?
(a) A bombing attack from Gibraltar bases on Axis ports in North Africa.
(b) An Allied plan that spread forces across north Tunisia.
(c) A clandestine mission launched by Patton.
(d) A British plan to forestall the sabotage of Oran's port.
12. Old Ironsides was both the only tank division to see desert battle in WWII, and:
(a) The only tank division manned by volunteers.
(b) The only tank division equipped with radios.
(c) The only tank division to receive no desert training.
(d) The only tank division trained in amphibious assault.
13. How many platoons had Eisenhower commanded in battle prior to the start of World War II?
14. What did Eisenhower suspect of General Giraud?
(c) Axis sympathies.
(d) A bluff.
15. America declared war on Germany upon:
(a) When German troops unfurled an enormous Swastika flag from the Arc de Triomphe, in Paris.
(b) When the Italian government declared war on France and Britain.
(c) The bombing of Pearl Harbor.
(d) The advance of German troops into Poland.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what makes Medjez-el-Bab a strategically important location?
2. According to the author, why was Allen's decision important in a historical context?
3. What maps of Morocco were stowed into the holds of the American fleet heading out for TORCH?
4. Does the author consider RESERVIST a success?
5. Where did the U.S. deception plans for TORCH suggest possible landing sites for the fleet?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)