|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many platoons had Eisenhower commanded in battle prior to the start of World War II?
2. What is Ultra?
(a) The name of the U.S. Secret Service in World War II.
(b) The intelligence gathered through British decipherment of coded German radio messages.
(c) A clandestine plan to land a group of American conspirators behind enemy lines in North Africa.
(d) The codename for the bazooka.
3. Hitler reinforced Tunis because of what realization, according to the author?
(a) That Italy would not be able to adequately face the size of the Allied force there.
(b) That North Africa could be used as a platform for the invasion of southern Europe.
(c) That the American claim to plan a landing on the shores of Normandy was a rouse.
(d) That the Vichy French alliance had collapsed.
4. What became the unofficial motto of Allied forces in Tunisia?
(a) "It flies, it dies."
(b) "Dig or Die."
(c) "Kilroy was here."
(d) "To the last of our rations."
5. Of the 904 men Moore had led on a daring night escape, eventually, how many made it to safety?
(a) Approximately 430.
(b) Approximately 750.
(c) Approximately 200.
(d) Approximately 150.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, many American officers were concerned that the British war plan was:
2. What was the consequence of the 'unconditional surrender' statement, according to the author?
3. What was stated as the reason for the decision to defer the advance on Tunis?
4. While information on the attack was slow to come into headquarters, Eisenhower did not believe which report:
5. When German anti-aircraft gunners in Tunis fired at his plane by mistake, Field marshal Albert Kesselring's response was to:
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)