|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to General Patten, it was his expectation of an officer to:
(a) Defer to their British counterparts.
(b) Spread chaos through the destruction of civilian property.
(c) Lead from the rear and let the troops do the fighting.
(d) Move ahead.
2. What event did the President of the United States hope the invasion of North Africa would precede?
(a) Congressional Elections.
(b) The Christmas holiday.
(c) The six month mark from the date of declaring war against Japan.
(d) The Fourth of July.
3. Upon the capitulation of the French, what 'natural order' was quickly re-established?
(a) French superiority.
(b) British generalship.
(c) Franco-American amity.
(d) Mutual distrust.
4. What was the biggest deficiency, according to the author, in Allied planning?
(b) Lack of air fields.
5. Upon discovering the American fleet in the Mediterranean, where did Hitler believe it was destined?
(a) Tripoli or Benghazi to trap the Afrika Corps.
(b) Napels or Jerusalem to acquire oil.
(c) The Suez Canal to ensure Allied shipping.
(d) Sicily to establish a launching point to Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What written warning from superiors did Commander Terry Allen burn?
2. What did the H.M.S. Bulolo deliver to Casablanca to assist the British in their cause?
3. Who wrote the following after the drubbing in Sbeitla: "There is nothing wrong with the common American soldier. His fighting spirit is good. His morale is okay. The deeper he gets into a fight, the more of a fighting man he becomes."
4. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
5. What battle was referred to as "the first perfect battle" for the Allies?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)