|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What events occurred to the disappointment of Hitler around 1941?
(a) Mussolini's fondness of French culture and Japan's need for war ships.
(b) Stalin's break from his treaty with Germany and the resulting shortage in fuel reserves.
(c) The fall of Yugoslavia and Britain's invasion across the English Channel.
(d) Spain's refusal to join the Axis and Italy's invasion of Greece.
2. What event did the President of the United States hope the invasion of North Africa would precede?
(a) The six month mark from the date of declaring war against Japan.
(b) The Fourth of July.
(c) Congressional Elections.
(d) The Christmas holiday.
3. What two particular subjects did Mark Clark know of that would have made him a valuable capture for the Axis Cause?
(a) French allies and Italian conspirators.
(b) The two airbases used to cover the landing.
(c) Details of TORCH and Ultra.
(d) The identity of several British spies and details of TORCH.
4. According to Allen, why does a soldier fight?
(a) To save suffering humanity.
(b) Because that's what he's trained to do.
(c) To prove that his unit is the best in the Army and that he has as much guts as anybody else in the unit.
(d) For his country, his family, and his sense of honor.
5. Inspired by the quality of the food during the Torch voyage, the 13th Armored Regiment suggested changing their battle cry to what?
(d) "For rations!"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote: "Would God I might die with my sword in hand / Ringed by dead foes all around."
2. What did Allen determine to do instead of following Colonel Greer's suggestion?
3. Why were the Vichy French fighting the Allies in North Africa?
4. What nickname for Eisenhower did the War Department try to suppress?
5. According to the author, what strategic mistake was repeated at the port of Algiers in operation TERMINAL?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)