|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rommel was rewarded the Field Marshal's Baton for:
(a) Capturing 30,000 British Commonwealth troops in Tobruk, Libya.
(b) Successfully capturing Stalingrad, Russia.
(c) His success in routing French forces from the Suez Canal.
(d) A successful Blitskrieg against massed French loyalists in Paris.
2. Upon discovering the American fleet in the Mediterranean, where did Hitler believe it was destined?
(a) Sicily to establish a launching point to Europe.
(b) The Suez Canal to ensure Allied shipping.
(c) Napels or Jerusalem to acquire oil.
(d) Tripoli or Benghazi to trap the Afrika Corps.
3. According to Allen, why does a soldier fight?
(a) For his country, his family, and his sense of honor.
(b) Because that's what he's trained to do.
(c) To save suffering humanity.
(d) To prove that his unit is the best in the Army and that he has as much guts as anybody else in the unit.
4. While information on the attack was slow to come into headquarters, Eisenhower did not believe which report:
(a) That operation VILLAIN appeared to be an Allied success.
(b) That Patton was re-embarking the landing craft under a truce flag.
(c) That U boats had sank half the fleet.
(d) That Rommel had launched a counter-offensive attacking Morocco.
5. What went wrong with operation VILLAIN?
(a) Bad weather with incorrectly timed and broadcasted beacons.
(b) Only thirty-percent of planes made it past Axis defenses.
(c) Bad fuel caused several plane engines to seize in the air and forced crash landings in Spain.
(d) German air raids delayed the departure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What events occurred to the disappointment of Hitler around 1941?
2. According to the author, what strategic mistake was repeated at the port of Algiers in operation TERMINAL?
3. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
4. What promise did General Patton make to the President of the United States in the presence of Rear Admiral Hewitt?
5. What event did the President of the United States hope the invasion of North Africa would precede?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)