|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What written warning from superiors did Commander Terry Allen burn?
(a) That aircover would not be provided.
(b) That the French would show resolve in repelling the attack.
(c) That the British planned to outflank him.
(d) That the French should not be considered hostile.
2. What promise did General Patton make to the President of the United States in the presence of Rear Admiral Hewitt?
(a) "The French will capitulate quickly."
(b) "I will leave the beaches either a conqueror or a corpse."
(c) "I will ride into battle on horseback."
(d) "We will make the crossing without the loss of a single boat."
3. What was operation WATCHTOWER?
(a) A pre-emptive strike by the Royal Air Force against North African Axis bases.
(b) A covert mission to convince Vichy France to join the Allied cause.
(c) The name of the original U.S. plan to attack Germany through France.
(d) The first Allied counter-offensive against Japan at Guadalcanal.
4. Inspired by the quality of the food during the Torch voyage, the 13th Armored Regiment suggested changing their battle cry to what?
(d) "For rations!"
5. What kind of memorial fills the American military cemetery at Carthage to mark the graves of American troops?
(a) Several granite obelisks.
(b) One large marble tomb.
(d) Simple marble markers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, North Africa is where the Axis forever lost:
2. Who did the American contingent meet in Cherchel?
3. What French character was referred to as "a bad man with a narrow outlook and shifty eye," by Winston Churchill?
4. Old Ironsides was both the only tank division to see desert battle in WWII, and:
5. While information on the attack was slow to come into headquarters, Eisenhower did not believe which report:
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)