|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ultra?
(a) A clandestine plan to land a group of American conspirators behind enemy lines in North Africa.
(b) The intelligence gathered through British decipherment of coded German radio messages.
(c) The codename for the bazooka.
(d) The name of the U.S. Secret Service in World War II.
2. What event did the President of the United States hope the invasion of North Africa would precede?
(a) The six month mark from the date of declaring war against Japan.
(b) Congressional Elections.
(c) The Christmas holiday.
(d) The Fourth of July.
3. What maps of Morocco were stowed into the holds of the American fleet heading out for TORCH?
(a) The Encyclopedia Britannica.
(b) Copies of stolen maps from the Germans.
(c) Maps developed by the British Secret Service.
(d) Michelin road maps.
4. On January 1, 1942, twenty-six countries signed an agreement to forswear any separate peace without mutual concurrence and to make a common cause of "life, liberty independence, and religious freedom, and to preserve the rights of man and justice." This group of nations called themselves:
(b) The Allies.
(c) The International Democratic Union.
(d) The United Nations.
5. According to the author, many American officers were concerned that the British war plan was:
(a) To draw out the war to further London's imperial ambitions.
(b) Too bold by far, under-manned by half.
(c) Too consolidated and misdirected in that it attacked only one Axis.
(d) An attempt to curb French ambitions as well as those of the Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of memorial fills the American military cemetery at Carthage to mark the graves of American troops?
2. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
3. What was considered "the single most decisive act of the Second World War," by historian Marin Gilbert?
4. A British Tommy is quoted as saying:
5. Inspired by the quality of the food during the Torch voyage, the 13th Armored Regiment suggested changing their battle cry to what?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)