|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. September 1, 1939 marked the first day of a war that would last approximately:
(a) 2,000 days.
(b) 3,000 days.
(c) 4,000 days.
(d) 1,000 days.
2. What was operation WATCHTOWER?
(a) The first Allied counter-offensive against Japan at Guadalcanal.
(b) A pre-emptive strike by the Royal Air Force against North African Axis bases.
(c) The name of the original U.S. plan to attack Germany through France.
(d) A covert mission to convince Vichy France to join the Allied cause.
3. Where did the U.S. deception plans for TORCH suggest possible landing sites for the fleet?
(a) France, Germany or Denmark.
(b) China, Ethiopia or France.
(c) Scandinavia, France or the Middle East.
(d) The Middle East, India or The Istrian Peninsula.
4. On January 1, 1942, twenty-six countries signed an agreement to forswear any separate peace without mutual concurrence and to make a common cause of "life, liberty independence, and religious freedom, and to preserve the rights of man and justice." This group of nations called themselves:
(a) The United Nations.
(b) The Allies.
(d) The International Democratic Union.
5. Against the wishes of his generals, the president of the United States canceled which plan in preference for a North African invasion?
(b) Rainbow 5.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of memorial fills the American military cemetery at Carthage to mark the graves of American troops?
2. What events occurred to the disappointment of Hitler around 1941?
3. Upon discovering the American fleet in the Mediterranean, where did Hitler believe it was destined?
4. What medal did Rear Admiral Hewitt win in World War I?
5. The average number of deaths per day during the war averaged:
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)