|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was considered "the single most decisive act of the Second World War," by historian Marin Gilbert?
(a) Rommel's defense of Kasserine Pass.
(b) In solidarity with their ally, Hitler and Mussolini declared war on the United States.
(c) Based on the quality of American tanks, the Germans introduced the Tiger.
(d) The landing of American troops upon the shores of French Morocco.
2. America declared war on Germany upon:
(a) When German troops unfurled an enormous Swastika flag from the Arc de Triomphe, in Paris.
(b) The advance of German troops into Poland.
(c) The bombing of Pearl Harbor.
(d) When the Italian government declared war on France and Britain.
3. Rommel was rewarded the Field Marshal's Baton for:
(a) Successfully capturing Stalingrad, Russia.
(b) Capturing 30,000 British Commonwealth troops in Tobruk, Libya.
(c) His success in routing French forces from the Suez Canal.
(d) A successful Blitskrieg against massed French loyalists in Paris.
4. What medal did Rear Admiral Hewitt win in World War I?
(a) The Purple Heart.
(b) A Medal of Honor.
(c) The Navy Cross for Heroism.
(d) The rank of Admiral.
5. What did Eisenhower suspect of General Giraud?
(a) Axis sympathies.
(c) A bluff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was operation WATCHTOWER?
2. What was General Giraud's stated expectation upon reaching Gibraltar?
3. TORCH is considered by the author to have been:
4. Upon discovering the American fleet in the Mediterranean, where did Hitler believe it was destined?
5. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)