|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two particular subjects did Mark Clark know of that would have made him a valuable capture for the Axis Cause?
(a) Details of TORCH and Ultra.
(b) The two airbases used to cover the landing.
(c) The identity of several British spies and details of TORCH.
(d) French allies and Italian conspirators.
2. North Africa is where the Allies agreed on a policy of:
(c) Unconditional surrender.
(d) Military autonomy.
3. The initial American strategy for attacking Hitler was summed up by a British general as:
(a) To isolate Germany from her Italian allies by infiltrating Austria.
(b) To go for him bald-headed and as soon as possible, by the shortest and most direct route.
(c) To stop wasting time with Japan and attack Germany with all available means.
(d) To overwhelm North Africa thereby ensuring Spanish neutrality.
4. What was operation WATCHTOWER?
(a) The first Allied counter-offensive against Japan at Guadalcanal.
(b) The name of the original U.S. plan to attack Germany through France.
(c) A pre-emptive strike by the Royal Air Force against North African Axis bases.
(d) A covert mission to convince Vichy France to join the Allied cause.
5. Against the wishes of his generals, the president of the United States canceled which plan in preference for a North African invasion?
(d) Rainbow 5.
Short Answer Questions
1. A British Tommy is quoted as saying:
2. What kind of memorial fills the American military cemetery at Carthage to mark the graves of American troops?
3. According to the author, what significant change occurred in the relationship between the Allies over the course of the campaign?
4. What two issues particularly occupied the minds of the American strategists planning Torch?
5. Who traveled to Gibraltar under the nom de guerre of "General Howe."
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)