|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what was operation VILLAIN?
(a) The first American airborne operation of the war, and among the most daring before or since.
(b) The delivery of an armored division by C-47 airplanes to the front lines.
(c) The landing of a combined force of British and American special forces troops near Casablanca.
(d) A massive bombing run against Axis airfields in North Africa immediately following TORCH.
2. What is Brigadier General Truscott quoted as learning, perhaps in relation to his conflict in Mehdia?
(a) "There is no winning, there is only moving on."
(b) "Luck is worth a division."
(c) "No matter how large the force engaged, every battle is made up of small actions by individuals and small units."
(d) "Nothing undoes a good strategy like French snipers."
3. The death of Admiral Darlan is considered to have had what effect on the Allies?
4. What example does the author give of McQuillin's suggested use of outdated military technology?
(a) The use of trip wires made from ration cans filled with rocks.
(b) The use of homing pigeons to direct his forces on the front.
(c) The construction of a catapult in homage to Hannibal.
(d) Landmines made from bundled grenades.
5. How many platoons had Eisenhower commanded in battle prior to the start of World War II?
Short Answer Questions
1. Although the Allies were aware of the numbers of Axis troops pouring into Tunis, they misjudged the situation in what way?
2. Rommel was rewarded the Field Marshal's Baton for:
3. What did Allen determine to do instead of following Colonel Greer's suggestion?
4. What went wrong with operation VILLAIN?
5. Upon discovering the American fleet in the Mediterranean, where did Hitler believe it was destined?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)