|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. September 1, 1939 marked the first day of a war that would last approximately:
(a) 2,000 days.
(b) 1,000 days.
(c) 4,000 days.
(d) 3,000 days.
2. According to General Patten, it was his expectation of an officer to:
(a) Spread chaos through the destruction of civilian property.
(b) Defer to their British counterparts.
(c) Move ahead.
(d) Lead from the rear and let the troops do the fighting.
3. What was Robert Murphy's mission in Algiers?
(a) To escort Allied agents into the city to plant bombs.
(b) To sabotage the Axis airfield.
(c) To spike the guns in the shore batteries.
(d) To launch an insurrection of the Vichy French.
4. Where did the U.S. deception plans for TORCH suggest possible landing sites for the fleet?
(a) China, Ethiopia or France.
(b) Scandinavia, France or the Middle East.
(c) The Middle East, India or The Istrian Peninsula.
(d) France, Germany or Denmark.
5. What is Ultra?
(a) A clandestine plan to land a group of American conspirators behind enemy lines in North Africa.
(b) The name of the U.S. Secret Service in World War II.
(c) The codename for the bazooka.
(d) The intelligence gathered through British decipherment of coded German radio messages.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, North Africa is where the Axis forever lost:
2. What was operation WATCHTOWER?
3. What was considered "the single most decisive act of the Second World War," by historian Marin Gilbert?
4. What promise did General Patton make to the President of the United States in the presence of Rear Admiral Hewitt?
5. The signal "Advance Napoleon," was issues by Eisenhower which indicated what to the troops readying operation VILLAIN?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)