|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What medal did Rear Admiral Hewitt win in World War I?
(a) The Purple Heart.
(b) The rank of Admiral.
(c) A Medal of Honor.
(d) The Navy Cross for Heroism.
2. What was the Service d'Ordre Legionnaire, whom Terry Allen came up against in the battle for St. Cloud?
(a) An expert French artillery division.
(b) French fascists who modeled themselves on the German SS.
(c) A battalian of Belgian troops fighting on the side of the Allies.
(d) French secret service agents who infiltrated the Vichy French ranks.
3. The initial American strategy for attacking Hitler was summed up by a British general as:
(a) To overwhelm North Africa thereby ensuring Spanish neutrality.
(b) To stop wasting time with Japan and attack Germany with all available means.
(c) To isolate Germany from her Italian allies by infiltrating Austria.
(d) To go for him bald-headed and as soon as possible, by the shortest and most direct route.
4. What was General Giraud's stated expectation upon reaching Gibraltar?
(a) To assume command of all Allied forces.
(b) To be shipped directly to North Africa where he would inspire the Vichy French forces to join the Allied cause.
(c) To assume the responsibility of preparing a beach assault in Normandy.
(d) To be awarded the rank of Deputy Commander-in-Chief.
5. The radio messages "batter up" and "play ball" meant what to the American fleet?
(a) Troops are landed and on the offensive.
(b) Casablanca has been taken and forces are now to move East.
(c) Air superiority was achieved and the landing could be made.
(d) Acknowledged French resistance and authorized retaliatory fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, the end of the cavalry era came not with a bang, but with:
2. September 1, 1939 marked the first day of a war that would last approximately:
3. Upon the capitulation of the French, what 'natural order' was quickly re-established?
4. What is Brigadier General Truscott quoted as learning, perhaps in relation to his conflict in Mehdia?
5. According to the author, what strategic mistake was repeated at the port of Algiers in operation TERMINAL?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)