|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. TORCH is considered by the author to have been:
(a) "Primarily a diversionary tactic to relieve pressure on the Soviet Union."
(b) "The single worst tactical decision of the war."
(c) "Poorly planned but excellently executed."
(d) "The most daring amphibious operation in the history of modern warfare."
2. What written warning from superiors did Commander Terry Allen burn?
(a) That aircover would not be provided.
(b) That the French would show resolve in repelling the attack.
(c) That the French should not be considered hostile.
(d) That the British planned to outflank him.
3. Where did the U.S. deception plans for TORCH suggest possible landing sites for the fleet?
(a) Scandinavia, France or the Middle East.
(b) China, Ethiopia or France.
(c) The Middle East, India or The Istrian Peninsula.
(d) France, Germany or Denmark.
4. President Roosevelt mad the following statement in a press conference; "The elimination of German, Japanese, and Italian war power means the unconditional surrender of Germany, Italy, and Japan." What was Churchill's response?
(a) He disagreed, but amicably.
(b) He agreed, but only after a moment of consideration.
(c) He agreed for the sake of the alliance, but was personally concerned about the repurcussions.
(d) He agreed, but claimed to be suprised by the proclamation.
5. The General Lee is described by the author as: "double the Stuart's weight, with a 75mm gun in the hull, a 35mm squirrel rifle in the turret, and four machine guns." What did the author describe as it's flaws?
(a) Height, the large gun could traverse only a couple degrees and was set too low.
(b) Terrible range, accuracy and weakness from behind.
(c) Too wide for city streets, poor at sand travel and expensive.
(d) Lack of forward armor, speed and maneuverability.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the consequence of the 'unconditional surrender' statement, according to the author?
2. What nickname for Eisenhower did the War Department try to suppress?
3. What plan did the British press on their American counterparts during the conference?
4. Does the author consider RESERVIST a success?
5. Based on a supposed indifference to civil liberties, unfair suggestions in the newspapers painted Eisenhower as what?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)