|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What paper did Andrew Brown publish?
2. By the time Dr. Rush contracted yellow fever, how many doctors had died?
3. How old was the servant boy that Dr. Rush trained to open a vein and see the sick?
4. On what day did the death toll fall below thirty?
5. Who had President Washington put in charge when he left Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
2. What did Secretary of War Henry Knox do when President Washington left him in charge of the government in Philadelphia?
3. What did George Washington do on November 10?
4. Who was Stephen Girard?
5. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
6. What was bloodletting?
7. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
8. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
9. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
10. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philadelphia had many problems during the plague. Discuss the problems that affected the city.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the treatments that various doctors used during the plague.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss yellow fever and the signs that it was in Philadelphia.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)