|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had President Washington put in charge when he left Philadelphia?
2. Who wrote that Death was riding triumphant on a pale horse at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. How many pounds of blood did Dr. Rush and other doctors at that time believe that the human body held?
4. Who was hired to design and construct Philadelphia's first waterworks?
5. How many bundles of shirts and dresses for orphans were sent by the Widow Grubb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three members of a special committee formed by Mayor Clarkson stood out in the performance of their duties. Discuss Israel Israel, Peter Helm, and Stephen Girard and their work as volunteers on the special committee.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
Essay Topic 3
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)