|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Stephen Girard contract a mild case of yellow fever?
2. How old was Israel Israel at the time of the plague?
3. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
4. Who wrote that Death was riding triumphant on a pale horse at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Where did Dolley Payne Todd go during the fever outbreak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did water come from in 1793?
2. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
4. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
5. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
6. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
7. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
8. What other problems did Philadelphia have other than the plague?
9. What was bloodletting?
10. Who was Peter Helm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three members of a special committee formed by Mayor Clarkson stood out in the performance of their duties. Discuss Israel Israel, Peter Helm, and Stephen Girard and their work as volunteers on the special committee.
Essay Topic 2
In 1793, President Washington was concerned about the French Revolution. Discuss the French Revolution and why it troubled Washington.
Essay Topic 3
Mayor Clarkson called for the formation of a special committee to run Philadelphia. Discuss the special committee and why it was formed.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)