|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times a day would Dr. Rush administer the Ten-and-Ten or Ten-and-Fifteen Treatment?
2. In what alley did Helmuth find 40 dead?
3. How many high-ranking officials of the federal government were within a day's ride of Philadelphia?
4. Where was a Philadelphia woman and her black servant tarred and feathered?
5. During the plague, how many days might it take for a letter to be sent to or from Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did George Washington do on November 10?
2. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
3. What was bloodletting?
4. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
5. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
6. Who was Peter Helm?
7. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
8. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
9. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
10. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mayor Clarkson called for the formation of a special committee to run Philadelphia. Discuss the special committee and why it was formed.
Essay Topic 2
The black nurses who cared for the sick were accused of price gouging. Discuss price gouging and how Mayor Clarkson dealt with the matter.
Essay Topic 3
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)