|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the fever reappear in Philadelphia?
2. In what alley did Helmuth find 40 dead?
3. When did the Black Plague strike in England?
4. How old was Israel Israel at the time of the plague?
5. How long was Dr. Currie's book about Philadelphia's plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did water come from in 1793?
2. Who was Stephen Girard?
3. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
4. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
5. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
6. What was bloodletting?
7. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
8. What did Secretary of War Henry Knox do when President Washington left him in charge of the government in Philadelphia?
9. How did landlords respond during the plague?
10. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
Essay Topic 2
Medical practices were in flux at the end of the eighteenth century. Discuss medical practices at the time of the plague and how these practices were changing.
Essay Topic 3
As more and more people died from the fever, Philadelphia was a completely changed place from before the plague struck. Compare and contrast Philadelphia before and after the plague.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)