|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the special committee was in charge of providing food for the city?
2. From Rev.Helmuth's congregation, how many died at the beginning of October?
3. How much did some whites charge to put a corpse in a coffin and haul it to a waiting wagon?
4. On what day did the death toll fall below thirty?
5. What type of church did Reverend Mr. Helmuth pastor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
2. What was bloodletting?
3. What other problems did Philadelphia have other than the plague?
4. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
6. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
7. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
8. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
9. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Congress was not able to meet during the plague. Discuss why Washington was not able to call Congress into session outside of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss yellow fever and the signs that it was in Philadelphia.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)