|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Israel Israel finally won an election of Pennsylvania state legislature, by how many votes did he win?
2. How many weeks did Henry Knox spend in quarantine?
3. Where did Major Christian Piercy become ill as he fled Philadelphia?
4. What was the name of Dr. Rush's sister who died during the plague?
5. How long was Dr. Currie's book about Philadelphia's plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did landlords respond during the plague?
2. What did George Washington do on November 10?
3. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
4. Who was Stephen Girard?
5. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
6. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
8. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
9. Where did water come from in 1793?
10. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
Essay Topic 2
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
Essay Topic 3
Three members of a special committee formed by Mayor Clarkson stood out in the performance of their duties. Discuss Israel Israel, Peter Helm, and Stephen Girard and their work as volunteers on the special committee.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)