|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On October 17, which committee member wrote in the official minutes that the fever was winning?
2. What Revolutionary War hero wrote begging Dr. Rush for his help during the 1797 yellow fever epidemic?
3. For how many years had doctors been using bloodletting or phlebotomy?
4. What paper did Andrew Brown publish?
5. How many weeks did Henry Knox spend in quarantine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Secretary of War Henry Knox do when President Washington left him in charge of the government in Philadelphia?
2. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
3. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
4. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
5. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
6. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
7. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. Where did water come from in 1793?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
10. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dr. Benjamin Rush to other doctors at the time.
Essay Topic 2
As more and more people died from the fever, Philadelphia was a completely changed place from before the plague struck. Compare and contrast Philadelphia before and after the plague.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Dr. Rush was called to consult about difficult medical problems.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)