|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Major Christian Piercy become ill as he fled Philadelphia?
2. How much did some whites charge to put a corpse in a coffin and haul it to a waiting wagon?
3. From Rev.Helmuth's congregation, how many died at the beginning of October?
4. By the time Dr. Rush contracted yellow fever, how many doctors had died?
5. How old was Stephen Girard in 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
2. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
3. Where did water come from in 1793?
4. What other problems did Philadelphia have other than the plague?
5. Who was Peter Helm?
6. Who was Stephen Girard?
7. What did George Washington do on November 10?
8. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
9. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
10. What did Secretary of War Henry Knox do when President Washington left him in charge of the government in Philadelphia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philadelphia had many problems during the plague. Discuss the problems that affected the city.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, both the state and federal governments contributed to the continuing crisis caused by the plague. Discuss how the state and federal governments contributed to the crisis.
Essay Topic 3
In 1793, President Washington was concerned about the French Revolution. Discuss the French Revolution and why it troubled Washington.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)