|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Dr. Rush seemed to be cured of yellow fever, how many patients sought him in a day?
2. When was someone hired to design and construct Philadelphia's first waterworks?
3. Who wrote that Death was riding triumphant on a pale horse at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. By the first of September, how many people were jammed into Bush Hill?
5. Where did Thomas Jefferson and George Washington meet as they traveled toward Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
2. How did landlords respond during the plague?
3. Who was Peter Helm?
4. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
5. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
6. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
7. What was bloodletting?
8. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
9. What was the Ten-and-Ten treatment?
10. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mayor Clarkson called for the formation of a special committee to run Philadelphia. Discuss the special committee and why it was formed.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
Essay Topic 3
Yellow fever is compared to a time bomb. Discuss why yellow fever is a "modern-day time bomb."
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)