|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did it rain in September, 1793?
2. What was the name of Dr. Rush's sister who died during the plague?
3. What was the name of a man who lost his entire family, including his wife, to the plague; and then married again?
4. When did Stephen Girard contract a mild case of yellow fever?
5. When did Dr. Rush hire a horse-drawn carriage and begin visiting patients after his bout with yellow fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
2. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
3. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
4. How did landlords respond during the plague?
5. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
6. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
7. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
8. What did Secretary of War Henry Knox do when President Washington left him in charge of the government in Philadelphia?
9. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The black nurses who cared for the sick were accused of price gouging. Discuss price gouging and how Mayor Clarkson dealt with the matter.
Essay Topic 2
Congress was not able to meet during the plague. Discuss why Washington was not able to call Congress into session outside of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 3
In 1793, President Washington was concerned about the French Revolution. Discuss the French Revolution and why it troubled Washington.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)