|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On October 17, which committee member wrote in the official minutes that the fever was winning?
2. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
3. Which member of the special committee was in charge of providing food for the city?
4. When did George Washington make a personal inspection of Philadelphia?
5. When Rush contracted yellow fever again, how many days did he spend confined to bed unable to lift his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did water come from in 1793?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
3. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
4. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
5. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
6. Who was Peter Helm?
7. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
8. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
9. Who was Stephen Girard?
10. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss yellow fever and the signs that it was in Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 2
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, both the state and federal governments contributed to the continuing crisis caused by the plague. Discuss how the state and federal governments contributed to the crisis.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)