|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bundles of shirts and dresses for orphans were sent by the Widow Grubb?
2. How many times did it rain in September, 1793?
3. Who was the governor of Maryland in 1793?
4. By the first of September, how many people were jammed into Bush Hill?
5. When did Dr. Rush hire a horse-drawn carriage and begin visiting patients after his bout with yellow fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
2. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
3. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
4. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
5. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
6. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
7. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
8. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
9. What other problems did Philadelphia have other than the plague?
10. What was the Ten-and-Ten treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The black nurses who cared for the sick were accused of price gouging. Discuss price gouging and how Mayor Clarkson dealt with the matter.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
Essay Topic 3
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)