|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did George Washington make a personal inspection of Philadelphia?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 6, about how many persons were ill with the fever?
3. What was the name of a man who lost his entire family, including his wife, to the plague; and then married again?
4. How many died from yellow fever on Saturday, October 12?
5. During the plague, how many days might it take for a letter to be sent to or from Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
2. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
3. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
4. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
5. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
6. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
7. What did Secretary of War Henry Knox do when President Washington left him in charge of the government in Philadelphia?
8. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
9. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
10. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Members of the College of Physicians had different recommendations for dealing with the fever. Compare and contrast how different members of the College of Physicians recommended dealing with the fever.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Dr. Rush was called to consult about difficult medical problems.
Essay Topic 3
Medical practices were in flux at the end of the eighteenth century. Discuss medical practices at the time of the plague and how these practices were changing.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)