|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did a jury award Dr. Rush including court costs when he sued Cobbett for libel?
2. What state refused to allow a ship from Philadelphia to land and take on water?
3. How many patients did Dr. Rush's five assistants each see in one day after Dr. Rush's recovery?
4. How much did the citizens of Manhattan send to aid Philadelphians?
5. Of what type of church was Reverend John Schmidt a pastor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
2. Who was Peter Helm?
3. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
4. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
5. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
6. Where did water come from in 1793?
7. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
8. Why were conditions so desperate at Bush Hill?
9. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
10. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Congress was not able to meet during the plague. Discuss why Washington was not able to call Congress into session outside of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Dr. Rush was called to consult about difficult medical problems.
Essay Topic 3
Members of the College of Physicians had different recommendations for dealing with the fever. Compare and contrast how different members of the College of Physicians recommended dealing with the fever.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)