|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many died from the plague on October 7?
2. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
3. What newspaper was printed occasionally by September?
4. By September 17, how many burials were taking place daily?
5. Whose letter did Dr. Rush find in his old medical books about the yellow plagues that had occurred in Virginia about fifty years earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
2. Who was Stephen Girard?
3. What did George Washington do on November 10?
4. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
5. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
6. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
7. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
8. Why were conditions so desperate at Bush Hill?
9. How did landlords respond during the plague?
10. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1793, President Washington was concerned about the French Revolution. Discuss the French Revolution and why it troubled Washington.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Dr. Rush was called to consult about difficult medical problems.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)