|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Dr. Currie's book about Philadelphia's plague?
2. What was the name of a man who lost his entire family, including his wife, to the plague; and then married again?
3. What type of church did Reverend Mr. Helmuth pastor?
4. How many died from yellow fever on Saturday, October 12?
5. For how many years had doctors been using bloodletting or phlebotomy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
2. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
3. Where did water come from in 1793?
4. What was bloodletting?
5. What was the Ten-and-Ten treatment?
6. Who was Peter Helm?
7. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
8. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
9. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
10. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Philadelphia had many problems during the plague. Discuss the problems that affected the city.
Essay Topic 2
Congress was not able to meet during the plague. Discuss why Washington was not able to call Congress into session outside of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)