|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had President Washington put in charge when he left Philadelphia?
2. How old was Dr. Deveze in 1793?
3. Where did Thomas Jefferson and George Washington meet as they traveled toward Philadelphia?
4. When did George Washington make a personal inspection of Philadelphia?
5. What was the name of a memorable poem written by Philip Freneau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did water come from in 1793?
2. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
3. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
4. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. How did landlords respond during the plague?
6. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
7. What did George Washington do on November 10?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
9. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
10. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
Essay Topic 2
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, both the state and federal governments contributed to the continuing crisis caused by the plague. Discuss how the state and federal governments contributed to the crisis.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)