|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did President Washington leave Mount Vernon and head north?
2. How much did a jury award Dr. Rush including court costs when he sued Cobbett for libel?
3. After Dr. Rush seemed to be cured of yellow fever, how many patients sought him in a day?
4. How many high-ranking officials of the federal government were within a day's ride of Philadelphia?
5. What paper did Andrew Brown publish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Stephen Girard?
2. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
3. How did landlords respond during the plague?
4. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
5. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
6. What was bloodletting?
7. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
8. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
9. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
10. Where did water come from in 1793?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yellow fever is compared to a time bomb. Discuss why yellow fever is a "modern-day time bomb."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss yellow fever and the signs that it was in Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)