|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
2. How many whale oil streetlamps were in Philadelphia in 1793?
3. When did the fever reappear in Philadelphia?
4. How much did some whites charge to put a corpse in a coffin and haul it to a waiting wagon?
5. How old was Israel Israel at the time of the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
2. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
4. How did landlords respond during the plague?
5. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
6. Why were conditions so desperate at Bush Hill?
7. What other problems did Philadelphia have other than the plague?
8. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
9. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
10. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The black nurses who cared for the sick were accused of price gouging. Discuss price gouging and how Mayor Clarkson dealt with the matter.
Essay Topic 2
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
Essay Topic 3
As more and more people died from the fever, Philadelphia was a completely changed place from before the plague struck. Compare and contrast Philadelphia before and after the plague.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)