|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Stephen Girard born?
2. How old was the servant boy that Dr. Rush trained to open a vein and see the sick?
3. How old was Stephen Girard in 1793?
4. By September 5, how many of Dr. Rush's patients did he claim improved with the Ten-and-Ten treatment?
5. What was the name of a memorable poem written by Philip Freneau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Peter Helm?
2. What did George Washington do on November 10?
3. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
4. How did landlords respond during the plague?
5. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
6. Why were conditions so desperate at Bush Hill?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
8. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
9. What other problems did Philadelphia have other than the plague?
10. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three members of a special committee formed by Mayor Clarkson stood out in the performance of their duties. Discuss Israel Israel, Peter Helm, and Stephen Girard and their work as volunteers on the special committee.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dr. Benjamin Rush to other doctors at the time.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)