|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times a day did Charles Willson Peale fire a musket inside his house?
2. How long had medical professionals believed that disease was caused by body humors being out of balance?
3. How many blacks were Jones and Allen in direct contact with who might have helped tend the sick?
4. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
5. How old was Catherine LeMaigre when she became ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
2. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
3. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
4. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
5. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
6. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
7. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
8. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
9. What did the governor do about the plague?
10. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
Essay Topic 2
Yellow fever is compared to a time bomb. Discuss why yellow fever is a "modern-day time bomb."
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, both the state and federal governments contributed to the continuing crisis caused by the plague. Discuss how the state and federal governments contributed to the crisis.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)