|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times a day did Charles Willson Peale fire a musket inside his house?
2. When was the last time that there was a yellow fever epidemic?
3. What eye condition did Matthew Clarkson have?
4. How much did some nurses begin receiving for tending the sick?
5. After a sailor died in a boarding house, who was the next person to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
2. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
3. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
4. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
5. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
6. Describe Dr. Rush.
7. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
8. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
9. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
10. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
Essay Topic 2
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Dr. Rush was called to consult about difficult medical problems.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)