|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many free blacks lived in Philadelphia?
2. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
3. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
4. What type of church did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth pastor?
5. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
2. How did landlords respond during the plague?
3. What did the governor do about the plague?
4. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
5. Who was Peter Helm?
6. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
7. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
8. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
9. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
10. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1793, President Washington was concerned about the French Revolution. Discuss the French Revolution and why it troubled Washington.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, both the state and federal governments contributed to the continuing crisis caused by the plague. Discuss how the state and federal governments contributed to the crisis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss yellow fever and the signs that it was in Philadelphia.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)