|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Dr. Rush's wife that summer of 1793?
2. How many rooms were there in Bush Hill?
3. When was a portrait of Absalom Jones painted by Raphaelle?
4. How much money was donated to refugees from Santo Domingo?
5. How old was Matthew Clarkson when the plague struck Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
2. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
3. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
4. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
5. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
6. What business was conducted by the members of the Pennsylvania legislature before they adjourned?
7. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
8. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
9. What did the governor do about the plague?
10. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Medical practices were in flux at the end of the eighteenth century. Discuss medical practices at the time of the plague and how these practices were changing.
Essay Topic 2
Three members of a special committee formed by Mayor Clarkson stood out in the performance of their duties. Discuss Israel Israel, Peter Helm, and Stephen Girard and their work as volunteers on the special committee.
Essay Topic 3
As more and more people died from the fever, Philadelphia was a completely changed place from before the plague struck. Compare and contrast Philadelphia before and after the plague.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)