|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Catherine LeMaigre when she became ill?
2. About how many free blacks lived in Philadelphia?
3. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
4. How many representatives met at the state house on August 27?
5. How many physicians were in Philadelphia in 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
2. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
3. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
4. Describe Dr. Rush.
5. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
6. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
7. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
8. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
9. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
10. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Congress was not able to meet during the plague. Discuss why Washington was not able to call Congress into session outside of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 2
Three members of a special committee formed by Mayor Clarkson stood out in the performance of their duties. Discuss Israel Israel, Peter Helm, and Stephen Girard and their work as volunteers on the special committee.
Essay Topic 3
Yellow fever is compared to a time bomb. Discuss why yellow fever is a "modern-day time bomb."
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)