Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many blacks were Jones and Allen in direct contact with who might have helped tend the sick?
2. Where did Jones and Allen discover a house where the mother was dead, the father was dying, and the children were huddled together, frightened and hungry?
3. What was the name of Clarkson's son who died during the plague?
4. When did Clarkson ask the physicians from the College of Physicians to come to a meeting about the plague?
5. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
2. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
3. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
4. What was the Ten-and-Ten treatment?
5. What did the governor do about the plague?
6. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
7. Why were conditions so desperate at Bush Hill?
8. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
9. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
10. What was the medical advice given by a Memphis newspaper in 1878?
Essay Topic 1
Mayor Clarkson called for the formation of a special committee to run Philadelphia. Discuss the special committee and why it was formed.
Essay Topic 2
The black nurses who cared for the sick were accused of price gouging. Discuss price gouging and how Mayor Clarkson dealt with the matter.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)