|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people lived in Philadelphia in 1793?
2. What day of the week did Catherine LeMaigre die?
3. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
4. Where did the sloop Amelia come from?
5. To Catherine LeMaigre, what part of her body did she feel as though it was burning up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
2. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
3. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
4. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
5. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
6. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
7. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
8. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
9. Why was the Free African Society founded?
10. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, both the state and federal governments contributed to the continuing crisis caused by the plague. Discuss how the state and federal governments contributed to the crisis.
Essay Topic 2
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the treatments that various doctors used during the plague.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)