|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often would Catherine LeMaigre vomit?
2. How much did some nurses begin receiving for tending the sick?
3. A few days before being called to care for Catherine LeMaigre, which doctor had lost his daughter to the same fever?
4. What was the name of one of the rivers that was drying up near Philadelphia?
5. How old was Matthew Clarkson when the plague struck Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
2. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
3. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
4. Why was the Free African Society founded?
5. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
6. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
7. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
8. What did the governor do about the plague?
9. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
10. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As more and more people died from the fever, Philadelphia was a completely changed place from before the plague struck. Compare and contrast Philadelphia before and after the plague.
Essay Topic 2
Philadelphia had many problems during the plague. Discuss the problems that affected the city.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)