|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the sloop Amelia come from?
2. What was the name of one of the rivers that was drying up near Philadelphia?
3. How old was Matthew Clarkson when the plague struck Philadelphia?
4. How many physicians were in Philadelphia in 1793?
5. How old was Catherine LeMaigre when she became ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
2. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
3. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
4. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
5. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
6. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
7. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
8. What business was conducted by the members of the Pennsylvania legislature before they adjourned?
9. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
10. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
Essay Topic 2
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
Essay Topic 3
Yellow fever is compared to a time bomb. Discuss why yellow fever is a "modern-day time bomb."
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)