|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was a portrait of Absalom Jones painted by Raphaelle?
2. Where was the mansion located that was commandeered for a place to care for seriously ill patients?
3. What did A.B., a contributor to "Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser," find in rainwater barrels?
4. What was Charles Willson Peale's wife's name?
5. How many people who contracted yellow fever usually died from it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Free African Society founded?
2. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
3. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
4. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
5. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
6. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
7. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
8. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
9. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
10. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As more and more people died from the fever, Philadelphia was a completely changed place from before the plague struck. Compare and contrast Philadelphia before and after the plague.
Essay Topic 2
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, both the state and federal governments contributed to the continuing crisis caused by the plague. Discuss how the state and federal governments contributed to the crisis.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)