|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
2. What were the sewers called in Philadelphia?
3. How many groups in Philadelphia stepped forward and offered to help with the sick and deceased?
4. What was the nationality of the sailor who had a fever and seizures before he died on August 3?
5. How many families did Jones and Allen visit in one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
2. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
3. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
4. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
5. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
6. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
7. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
8. Why was the Free African Society founded?
9. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
10. What did the governor do about the plague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
Essay Topic 2
Members of the College of Physicians had different recommendations for dealing with the fever. Compare and contrast how different members of the College of Physicians recommended dealing with the fever.
Essay Topic 3
Medical practices were in flux at the end of the eighteenth century. Discuss medical practices at the time of the plague and how these practices were changing.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)