|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doctor wrote about the disgusting aspects of the vomit that spewed from fever victims?
2. How many physicians from the College of Physicians showed up when Matthew Clarkson called a meeting?
3. What was the name of the second-year medical student who volunteered to help at Bush Hill?
4. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
5. How many people who contracted yellow fever usually died from it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
2. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
3. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
4. Why were the black nurses criticized?
5. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
6. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
7. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
8. Describe Dr. Rush.
9. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
10. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Members of the College of Physicians had different recommendations for dealing with the fever. Compare and contrast how different members of the College of Physicians recommended dealing with the fever.
Essay Topic 2
Philadelphia had many problems during the plague. Discuss the problems that affected the city.
Essay Topic 3
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)