|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did George and Martha Washington leave Philadelphia?
2. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
3. How many groups in Philadelphia stepped forward and offered to help with the sick and deceased?
4. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
5. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did George Washington do on November 10?
2. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
3. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
4. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
5. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
6. Why was the Free African Society founded?
7. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
8. Describe Dr. Rush.
9. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
10. Why were conditions so desperate at Bush Hill?
Essay Topic 1
Neighboring states began to fear the plague spreading from Philadelphia to their areas. Discuss how various areas and citizens reacted to the plague and the citizens of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss yellow fever and the signs that it was in Philadelphia.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)