|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many physicians from the College of Physicians showed up when Matthew Clarkson called a meeting?
2. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
3. What day of the week were the recommendations published from the College of Physicians?
4. What doctor wrote about the disgusting aspects of the vomit that spewed from fever victims?
5. How did Louis XVI die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
2. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
3. Why were the black nurses criticized?
4. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
5. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
6. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
7. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
8. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
9. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
10. Why was the Free African Society founded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yellow fever is compared to a time bomb. Discuss why yellow fever is a "modern-day time bomb."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the treatments that various doctors used during the plague.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)