|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
2. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
3. How many people who contracted yellow fever usually died from it?
4. Where did the sloop Amelia come from?
5. Where was Dr. Rush's wife that summer of 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
2. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
3. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
4. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
5. Who was blamed for the yellow fever?
6. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
7. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
8. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
9. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
10. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three members of a special committee formed by Mayor Clarkson stood out in the performance of their duties. Discuss Israel Israel, Peter Helm, and Stephen Girard and their work as volunteers on the special committee.
Essay Topic 2
Congress was not able to meet during the plague. Discuss why Washington was not able to call Congress into session outside of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 3
The mayor of Philadelphia, Mattthew Clarkson, decided to stay in Philadelphia during the plague. Using examples from the book, discuss the pros and cons Clarkson may have considered before deciding whether to stay or flee.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)