|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Catherine LeMaigre, what part of her body did she feel as though it was burning up?
2. How many times a day did Charles Willson Peale fire a musket inside his house?
3. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
4. How many died on September 8?
5. What did A.B., a contributor to "Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser," find in rainwater barrels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
2. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
3. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
4. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
5. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
6. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
7. Describe Dr. Rush.
8. What business was conducted by the members of the Pennsylvania legislature before they adjourned?
9. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
10. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Neighboring states began to fear the plague spreading from Philadelphia to their areas. Discuss how various areas and citizens reacted to the plague and the citizens of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the treatments that various doctors used during the plague.
Essay Topic 3
Members of the College of Physicians had different recommendations for dealing with the fever. Compare and contrast how different members of the College of Physicians recommended dealing with the fever.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)