|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
2. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
4. How often would Catherine LeMaigre vomit?
5. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
2. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
3. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
4. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
5. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
6. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
7. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
8. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
9. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
10. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Members of the College of Physicians had different recommendations for dealing with the fever. Compare and contrast how different members of the College of Physicians recommended dealing with the fever.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Rush looked around the city and realized that Philadelphia itself might succumb at any moment. Discuss the factors that threatened the survival of the city.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dr. Benjamin Rush to other doctors at the time.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)