|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many groups in Philadelphia stepped forward and offered to help with the sick and deceased?
2. What did doctors give Catherine LeMaigre to cool her fever?
3. What was the name of the second-year medical student who volunteered to help at Bush Hill?
4. When was a portrait of Absalom Jones painted by Raphaelle?
5. What was the name of one of the rivers that was drying up near Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
2. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
3. Describe Dr. Rush.
4. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
5. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
6. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
7. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
8. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
9. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
10. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss yellow fever and the signs that it was in Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
Essay Topic 3
Mayor Clarkson called for the formation of a special committee to run Philadelphia. Discuss the special committee and why it was formed.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)