|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of his children did Charles Willson Peale shut inside his museum-residence along with himself and his wife?
2. How old was Catherine LeMaigre when she became ill?
3. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
4. What type of church did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth pastor?
5. What did physicians call the tiny reddish sores that erupted on individuals who had the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the governor do about the plague?
2. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
3. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
4. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
5. Describe Dr. Rush.
6. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
7. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
8. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
9. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
10. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
Essay Topic 2
Members of the College of Physicians had different recommendations for dealing with the fever. Compare and contrast how different members of the College of Physicians recommended dealing with the fever.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the treatments that various doctors used during the plague.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)