|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week did Catherine LeMaigre die?
2. Where did federal department heads move their offices?
3. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
4. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
5. When was the Free African Society founded?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
2. Why was the Free African Society founded?
3. Why were the black nurses criticized?
4. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
5. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
6. What did the governor do about the plague?
7. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
8. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
9. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
10. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Dr. Rush was called to consult about difficult medical problems.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dr. Benjamin Rush to other doctors at the time.
Essay Topic 3
Neighboring states began to fear the plague spreading from Philadelphia to their areas. Discuss how various areas and citizens reacted to the plague and the citizens of Philadelphia.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)