|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many shops were in Philadelphia in 1793?
2. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
3. When did Clarkson ask the physicians from the College of Physicians to come to a meeting about the plague?
4. A few days before being called to care for Catherine LeMaigre, which doctor had lost his daughter to the same fever?
5. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
2. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
3. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
4. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
5. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
6. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
7. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
8. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
9. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
10. Why was the Free African Society founded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss yellow fever and the signs that it was in Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 3
Medical practices were in flux at the end of the eighteenth century. Discuss medical practices at the time of the plague and how these practices were changing.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)