|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Clarkson's son who died during the plague?
2. How many of his children did Charles Willson Peale shut inside his museum-residence along with himself and his wife?
3. When was the last time that there was a yellow fever epidemic?
4. How many people lived in Philadelphia in 1793?
5. How many physicians from the College of Physicians showed up when Matthew Clarkson called a meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
2. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
3. Who was Stephen Girard?
4. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
5. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
6. Why were the black nurses criticized?
7. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
9. In 1858 when yellow fever struck Manhattan, how was it handled?
10. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
Essay Topic 1
As more and more people died from the fever, Philadelphia was a completely changed place from before the plague struck. Compare and contrast Philadelphia before and after the plague.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss duty and individuals who were or were not committed to doing their duty during the plague.
Essay Topic 3
Medical practices were in flux at the end of the eighteenth century. Discuss medical practices at the time of the plague and how these practices were changing.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)