Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
2. What type of church did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth pastor?
3. How old was Catherine LeMaigre when she became ill?
4. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
5. What did many people sprinkle around their rooms after whitewashing them?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
2. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
3. What other problems did Philadelphia have other than the plague?
4. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
5. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
6. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
7. Who was blamed for the yellow fever?
8. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
9. What business was conducted by the members of the Pennsylvania legislature before they adjourned?
10. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
Neighboring states began to fear the plague spreading from Philadelphia to their areas. Discuss how various areas and citizens reacted to the plague and the citizens of Philadelphia.
The black nurses who cared for the sick were accused of price gouging. Discuss price gouging and how Mayor Clarkson dealt with the matter.
The plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy." Why? Discuss why the plague was referred to as an "Unmerciful Enemy."
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)