|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
2. How many times a day did Charles Willson Peale fire a musket inside his house?
3. How old was Matthew Clarkson when the plague struck Philadelphia?
4. What did physicians call the tiny reddish sores that erupted on individuals who had the plague?
5. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
2. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
3. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
4. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
5. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
6. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
7. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
8. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
9. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
10. What business was conducted by the members of the Pennsylvania legislature before they adjourned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Members of the College of Physicians had different recommendations for dealing with the fever. Compare and contrast how different members of the College of Physicians recommended dealing with the fever.
Essay Topic 2
As more and more people died from the fever, Philadelphia was a completely changed place from before the plague struck. Compare and contrast Philadelphia before and after the plague.
Essay Topic 3
The black nurses who cared for the sick were accused of price gouging. Discuss price gouging and how Mayor Clarkson dealt with the matter.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)