|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week were the recommendations published from the College of Physicians?
2. What did A.B., a contributor to "Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser," find in rainwater barrels?
3. How many families did Jones and Allen visit in one day?
4. Where was the mansion located that was commandeered for a place to care for seriously ill patients?
5. Where did John Bill Ricketts take his circus for the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
2. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
3. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
4. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
5. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
6. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
7. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
8. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
9. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
10. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mayor Clarkson called for the formation of a special committee to run Philadelphia. Discuss the special committee and why it was formed.
Essay Topic 2
Three members of a special committee formed by Mayor Clarkson stood out in the performance of their duties. Discuss Israel Israel, Peter Helm, and Stephen Girard and their work as volunteers on the special committee.
Essay Topic 3
Neighboring states began to fear the plague spreading from Philadelphia to their areas. Discuss how various areas and citizens reacted to the plague and the citizens of Philadelphia.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)