|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Clarkson have?
2. How many groups in Philadelphia stepped forward and offered to help with the sick and deceased?
3. How did Louis XVI die?
4. How old was Isaac Heston when the plague struck Philadelphia?
5. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
2. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
3. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
4. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
5. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
6. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
7. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
8. Why was the Free African Society founded?
9. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
10. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Neighboring states began to fear the plague spreading from Philadelphia to their areas. Discuss how various areas and citizens reacted to the plague and the citizens of Philadelphia.
Essay Topic 2
Philadelphia had many problems during the plague. Discuss the problems that affected the city.
Essay Topic 3
Medical practices were in flux at the end of the eighteenth century. Discuss medical practices at the time of the plague and how these practices were changing.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)