|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of William Cobbett's paper?
(a) The Porcupine's Gazette.
(b) The Daily News.
(c) The Eagle's Courier.
(d) The Daily Prophet.
2. When did Dr. Rush hire a horse-drawn carriage and begin visiting patients after his bout with yellow fever?
(a) September 25.
(b) September 19.
(c) September 21.
(d) September 23.
3. By the first of September, how many people were jammed into Bush Hill?
(a) About 75.
(b) Over 100.
(c) Nearly 150.
(d) Around 50.
4. Where did Thomas Jefferson and George Washington meet as they traveled toward Philadelphia?
5. Where did Major Christian Piercy become ill as he fled Philadelphia?
(b) Outside Camden.
(d) Near Manhatton.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years had doctors been using bloodletting or phlebotomy?
2. What Revolutionary War hero wrote begging Dr. Rush for his help during the 1797 yellow fever epidemic?
3. Besides the mayor, how many members were on the illegal special committee formed to run Philadelphia?
4. Which member of the special committee was in charge of providing food for the city?
5. How old was Israel Israel at the time of the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
2. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
3. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
4. What was bloodletting?
5. What was the Ten-and-Ten treatment?
6. Why were conditions so desperate at Bush Hill?
7. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
8. What did Secretary of War Henry Knox do when President Washington left him in charge of the government in Philadelphia?
9. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
10. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)