|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many whale oil streetlamps were in Philadelphia in 1793?
2. What was the name of Dr. Rush's sister who died during the plague?
3. By the first of September, how many people were jammed into Bush Hill?
(a) Around 50.
(b) Over 100.
(c) Nearly 150.
(d) About 75.
4. When did the Black Plague strike in England?
5. How many times a day would Dr. Rush administer the Ten-and-Ten or Ten-and-Fifteen Treatment?
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time Dr. Rush contracted yellow fever, how many doctors had died?
2. For how many days did Peter Helm and Stephen Girard attend to Bush HIll?
3. What ship was seized by one of Genet's hired privateers?
4. Whose letter did Dr. Rush find in his old medical books about the yellow plagues that had occurred in Virginia about fifty years earlier?
5. How many died from yellow fever on Saturday, October 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
2. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
3. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
4. What was vis medicatrix naturae?
5. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
6. Why were conditions so desperate at Bush Hill?
7. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
8. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
9. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
10. What was bloodletting?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)