|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which member of the special committee was in charge of providing food for the city?
(a) James Sharswood.
(b) Samuel Benge.
(c) Israel Israel.
(d) Henry Deforest.
2. How many high-ranking officials of the federal government were within a day's ride of Philadelphia?
3. When did Dr. Rush realize that he had yellow fever?
(a) September 14.
(b) September 12.
(c) September 21.
(d) September 18.
4. What was the name of a memorable poem written by Philip Freneau?
5. Where was a Philadelphia woman and her black servant tarred and feathered?
(a) Manhattan, New York.
(b) Milford, Delaware.
(c) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decorated houses where people were sick from the yellow fever?
2. Who wrote that Death was riding triumphant on a pale horse at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. How much did some whites charge to put a corpse in a coffin and haul it to a waiting wagon?
4. What was the name of a man who lost his entire family, including his wife, to the plague; and then married again?
5. What type of church did Reverend Mr. Helmuth pastor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did landlords respond during the plague?
2. What did George Washington do on November 10?
3. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
4. How did Dr. Jean Deveze treat fever patients?
5. Who was Peter Helm?
6. Why did Dr. Rush continue seeing patients when he had yellow fever himself?
7. Where did water come from in 1793?
8. Why were the special committee members taking a risk when they borrowed money to run the city?
9. Who was Stephen Girard?
10. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)