|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Stephen Girard in 1793?
2. Who was hired to design and construct Philadelphia's first waterworks?
(a) Benjamin Latrobe.
(b) Franklin Rosling.
(c) Davis Nance.
(d) Gray Peters.
3. What was the name of William Cobbett's paper?
(a) The Daily Prophet.
(b) The Eagle's Courier.
(c) The Porcupine's Gazette.
(d) The Daily News.
4. What was the name of a memorable poem written by Philip Freneau?
5. After Dr. Rush's assistants bled him and administered the purge, how many days did it take for him to get back on his feet?
Short Answer Questions
1. On October 17, which committee member wrote in the official minutes that the fever was winning?
2. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
3. When did the Black Plague strike in England?
4. Who was the governor of Maryland in 1793?
5. What state refused to allow a ship from Philadelphia to land and take on water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Secretary of War Henry Knox do when President Washington left him in charge of the government in Philadelphia?
2. What were sleeping accommodations like in Germantown?
3. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
4. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
5. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
7. Who was Stephen Girard?
8. Where did water come from in 1793?
9. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
10. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)