|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Dr. Jean Deveze volunteer to work at Bush Hill?
(a) September 16.
(b) September 1.
(c) August 31.
(d) August 25.
2. How many pounds of blood did Dr. Rush and other doctors at that time believe that the human body held?
3. Who wrote that Death was riding triumphant on a pale horse at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Martin Whitcomb.
(b) Elhanan Winchester.
(c) Anderson Ryan.
(d) Evan Manning.
4. How many died from the plague on October 7?
5. What decorated houses where people were sick from the yellow fever?
(a) Small blue stars.
(b) Tiny red flags.
(c) A skull and crossbones.
(d) A notice from the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. On October 17, which committee member wrote in the official minutes that the fever was winning?
2. Who was hired to design and construct Philadelphia's first waterworks?
3. How old was the servant boy that Dr. Rush trained to open a vein and see the sick?
4. How many bleedings did the Free African Society perform?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 6, about how many persons were ill with the fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
2. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
4. What did Rev. Helmuth write about visits he made at night to visit the sick?
5. What problem did Thomas Sim Lee, governor of Maryland, ask Washington to help him solve?
6. What type of treatment did Dr. William Currie recommend?
7. What other problems did Philadelphia have other than the plague?
8. When Jones and Allen took Carey to task for things he wrote in his book about blacks, what did Carey add to his book?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what were conditions like at Bush Hill?
10. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)