|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did A.B., a contributor to "Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser," find in rainwater barrels?
(b) Dead dogs.
(c) Dead cats.
2. How many blacks were Jones and Allen in direct contact with who might have helped tend the sick?
3. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
4. What illness was seen in January of 1793?
(c) Scarlet fever.
5. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had medical professionals believed that disease was caused by body humors being out of balance?
2. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
3. In 1793, what percent of Philadelphia's black worked as live-in domestic workers?
4. Who was the governor of Pennsylvania in 1793?
5. What did doctors give Catherine LeMaigre to cool her fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
2. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
3. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
4. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
5. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
6. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
7. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
8. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
9. Why was the Free African Society founded?
10. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)