|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
2. How many shops were in Philadelphia in 1793?
3. In what part of the state house building were the rooms of Joseph Fry, the doorkeeper who died from the fever?
4. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
5. A few days before being called to care for Catherine LeMaigre, which doctor had lost his daughter to the same fever?
(a) Dr. Wyatt.
(b) Dr. Foulke.
(c) Dr. Hodge.
(d) Dr. Rush.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did federal department heads move their offices?
2. What was the name of Clarkson's son who died during the plague?
3. What day of the week were the recommendations published from the College of Physicians?
4. When did Clarkson ask the physicians from the College of Physicians to come to a meeting about the plague?
5. How much money was donated to refugees from Santo Domingo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Free African Society founded?
2. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
3. What did the governor do about the plague?
4. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
5. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
6. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
7. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
8. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
9. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
10. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)