|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the sewers called in Philadelphia?
2. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
3. A few days before being called to care for Catherine LeMaigre, which doctor had lost his daughter to the same fever?
(a) Dr. Foulke.
(b) Dr. Wyatt.
(c) Dr. Rush.
(d) Dr. Hodge.
4. What year was a French watercolor done to show a yellow fever victim in the early stages of the illness?
5. About how many blacks in Philadelphia were slaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Dr. Rush's wife that summer of 1793?
2. When did a savage storm hit the city bringing winds and torrents of rain?
3. How many rooms were there in Bush Hill?
4. How many shops were in Philadelphia in 1793?
5. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
2. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
3. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
4. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
5. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
6. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
7. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
8. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
9. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
10. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)