|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
(c) New York.
2. How much money was donated to refugees from Santo Domingo?
3. How many died on September 8?
4. When was the last time that there was a yellow fever epidemic?
5. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
2. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
3. How old was Isaac Heston when the plague struck Philadelphia?
4. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
5. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
2. Why were the black nurses criticized?
3. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
4. Why was the Free African Society founded?
5. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
6. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
7. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
8. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
9. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
10. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)