|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
(a) New York.
2. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) July 31.
(b) August 1.
(c) August 3.
(d) July 15.
3. In what part of the state house building were the rooms of Joseph Fry, the doorkeeper who died from the fever?
4. What did doctors give Catherine LeMaigre to cool her fever?
(a) Barley water and apple water.
(b) Cold cloths.
(c) Ice chips.
(d) Mercury and the root of a poisonous plant.
5. What was Catherine LeMaigre's husband's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
2. How many of his children did Charles Willson Peale shut inside his museum-residence along with himself and his wife?
3. After a sailor died in a boarding house, who was the next person to die?
4. What day of the week were the recommendations published from the College of Physicians?
5. How old was Isaac Heston when the plague struck Philadelphia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
2. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
3. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
4. What did the governor do about the plague?
5. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
6. What business was conducted by the members of the Pennsylvania legislature before they adjourned?
7. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
8. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
9. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
10. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)