|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Matthew Clarkson when the plague struck Philadelphia?
2. When did George and Martha Washington leave Philadelphia?
(a) August 23.
(b) September 30.
(c) September 10.
(d) September 21.
3. How many people lived in Philadelphia in 1793?
4. How many watchmen were supposed to watch the streets of Philadelphia at night?
5. What was Catherine LeMaigre's husband's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many died on September 8?
2. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
3. What did physicians call the tiny reddish sores that erupted on individuals who had the plague?
4. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
5. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What business was conducted by the members of the Pennsylvania legislature before they adjourned?
2. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
3. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
4. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
5. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
6. What did the governor do about the plague?
7. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
8. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
9. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
10. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)