|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people who contracted yellow fever usually died from it?
(a) 50 percent.
(b) 75 percent.
(c) 10 percent.
(d) 25 percent.
2. When was the last time that there was a yellow fever epidemic?
3. When did Clarkson ask the physicians from the College of Physicians to come to a meeting about the plague?
(a) August 14.
(b) August 25.
(c) August 28.
(d) August 19.
4. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
5. Who was the owner of Bush Hill?
(a) George Smythe.
(b) David Browning.
(c) William Hamilton.
(d) Robert Ashworth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
2. What type of church did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth pastor?
3. How many French refugees fled a fierce slave rebellion?
4. How long had medical professionals believed that disease was caused by body humors being out of balance?
5. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
2. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
3. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
4. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
5. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
6. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
7. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
8. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
9. Why was the Free African Society founded?
10. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)