|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many people sprinkle around their rooms after whitewashing them?
(d) Baking soda.
2. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
3. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) August 31.
(b) September 12.
(c) September 5.
(d) August 18.
4. After a sailor died in a boarding house, who was the next person to die?
(a) Mr. Moore.
(b) Mr. Peter Aston.
(c) Mrs. Richard Parkinson.
(d) Mr. Denny.
5. How many shops were in Philadelphia in 1793?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
2. How old was Catherine LeMaigre when she became ill?
3. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
4. About how many free blacks lived in Philadelphia?
5. What was the name of the second-year medical student who volunteered to help at Bush Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
2. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
3. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
4. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
5. Why were the black nurses criticized?
6. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
7. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
8. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
9. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
10. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)