|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
2. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
(a) Jason Manning.
(b) Mason Brighting.
(c) Samuel Powel.
(d) John Whitcomb.
3. How many French refugees fled a fierce slave rebellion?
4. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
(a) Maggie MacPherson's.
(b) William Wright's.
(c) Sarah Smythe's.
(d) Richard Denny's.
5. What did many people sprinkle around their rooms after whitewashing them?
(a) Baking soda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doctor wrote about the disgusting aspects of the vomit that spewed from fever victims?
2. Where was the mansion located that was commandeered for a place to care for seriously ill patients?
3. Where did federal department heads move their offices?
4. In 1793, what percent of Philadelphia's black worked as live-in domestic workers?
5. How much did some nurses begin receiving for tending the sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
2. What did the governor do about the plague?
3. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
4. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
5. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
6. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
7. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
8. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
9. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
10. Describe Dr. Rush.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)