|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of one of the rivers that was drying up near Philadelphia?
2. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) 4th St.
(b) On or near Water St.
(c) 13th St.
(d) On or near Main St.
3. When was the last time that there was a yellow fever epidemic?
4. What year was a French watercolor done to show a yellow fever victim in the early stages of the illness?
5. What was the name of Clarkson's son who died during the plague?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
2. Where did John Bill Ricketts take his circus for the summer?
3. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
4. How many rooms were there in Bush Hill?
5. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dr. Rush.
2. What did the governor do about the plague?
3. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
4. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
5. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
6. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
7. Why was the Free African Society founded?
8. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
9. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
10. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)