|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times a day did Charles Willson Peale fire a musket inside his house?
2. What eye condition did Matthew Clarkson have?
3. What was Catherine LeMaigre's husband's name?
4. What were the sewers called in Philadelphia?
5. What was the average yearly income in Philadelphia in 1793?
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many blacks in Philadelphia were slaves?
2. What was the name of the newspaper that was printed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. How many shops were in Philadelphia in 1793?
4. In what part of the state house building were the rooms of Joseph Fry, the doorkeeper who died from the fever?
5. How much did some nurses begin receiving for tending the sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
2. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
3. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
4. Why were there an amazing number of flies and other insects in August 1793?
5. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
6. Why did blacks stop worshiping at St. George Methodist Church?
7. Why were the black nurses criticized?
8. What did doctors base their medical thinking upon in the 1700s?
9. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
10. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)