|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did doctors give Catherine LeMaigre to cool her fever?
(a) Cold cloths.
(b) Mercury and the root of a poisonous plant.
(c) Ice chips.
(d) Barley water and apple water.
2. What church in Philadelphia had been built with the help of blacks?
(a) St. John Episcopal Church.
(b) St. Peter Episcopal Church.
(c) St. George Methodist Church.
(d) St. Thomas Episcopal Church.
3. What type of church did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth pastor?
4. How many families did Jones and Allen visit in one day?
5. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
(a) Robert Morris.
(b) Matthew Clarkson
(c) Benjamin Rush.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Isaac Heston when the plague struck Philadelphia?
2. What did physicians call the tiny reddish sores that erupted on individuals who had the plague?
3. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
4. How many watchmen were supposed to watch the streets of Philadelphia at night?
5. In 1793, what percent of Philadelphia's black worked as live-in domestic workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the black nurses criticized?
2. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
3. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
4. Describe Dr. Rush.
5. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
6. Why was the Free African Society founded?
7. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
8. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
9. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
10. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)