|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) 4th St.
(b) On or near Main St.
(c) 13th St.
(d) On or near Water St.
2. How many people who contracted yellow fever usually died from it?
(a) 75 percent.
(b) 25 percent.
(c) 10 percent.
(d) 50 percent.
3. When was a portrait of Absalom Jones painted by Raphaelle?
4. What church in Philadelphia had been built with the help of blacks?
(a) St. John Episcopal Church.
(b) St. Thomas Episcopal Church.
(c) St. Peter Episcopal Church.
(d) St. George Methodist Church.
5. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times a day did Charles Willson Peale fire a musket inside his house?
2. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
3. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
4. What did A.B., a contributor to "Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser," find in rainwater barrels?
5. What day of the week were the recommendations published from the College of Physicians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
2. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
3. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
4. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
5. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
6. Describe Dr. Rush.
7. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
8. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
9. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
10. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)