|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote a letter asking the Free African Society to nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
(a) Absalom Jones.
(b) Richard Allen.
(c) Benjamin Rush.
(d) Matthew Clarkson.
2. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
3. What was the name of the newspaper that was printed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(b) Daily News.
(c) The Federal Gazette.
(d) City Paper.
4. How many physicians from the College of Physicians showed up when Matthew Clarkson called a meeting?
5. How many times a day did Charles Willson Peale fire a musket inside his house?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
2. What day of the week did Catherine LeMaigre die?
3. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
4. In which direction were the swamps near Philadelphia that had lost water due to the intense heat?
5. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
2. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
3. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
4. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
6. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
7. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
8. What did Dr. Rush do when the College of Physicians declared that the plague had not been caused by yellow fever?
9. What signs were there that the fever seemed to be gaining in strength and deadliness in Chapter 8?
10. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)