|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many blacks in Philadelphia were slaves?
2. What doctor wrote about the disgusting aspects of the vomit that spewed from fever victims?
(a) Isaac Cathrall.
(b) Walter Reed.
(c) Benjamin Rush.
(d) William Lewis.
3. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) August 31.
(b) August 18.
(c) September 12.
(d) September 5.
4. What was Charles Willson Peale's wife's name?
5. How many families did Jones and Allen visit in one day?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was a portrait of Absalom Jones painted by Raphaelle?
2. How much money was donated to refugees from Santo Domingo?
3. How many people do historians estimate fled from Philadelphia during the fever?
4. How many physicians from the College of Physicians showed up when Matthew Clarkson called a meeting?
5. How much money did the black leaders attempt to raise in order to build a new church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Free African Society founded?
2. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
3. Why were the black nurses criticized?
4. Describe Dr. Rush.
5. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
6. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
7. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
8. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
9. Why was a constitutional crisis set in motion when Washington left Philadelphia?
10. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)