|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many representatives met at the state house on August 27?
2. What was Catherine LeMaigre's husband's name?
3. About how many free blacks lived in Philadelphia?
4. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
(a) Sarah Smythe's.
(b) Richard Denny's.
(c) Maggie MacPherson's.
(d) William Wright's.
5. Where did Jones and Allen discover a house where the mother was dead, the father was dying, and the children were huddled together, frightened and hungry?
(a) Main St.
(b) Water St.
(c) Beckett's Allley.
(d) Emsley's Alley.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Catherine LeMaigre, what part of her body did she feel as though it was burning up?
2. Who was the owner of Bush Hill?
3. How old was Isaac Heston when the plague struck Philadelphia?
4. About how many blacks in Philadelphia were slaves?
5. How often would Catherine LeMaigre vomit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the black nurses criticized?
2. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
3. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
4. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
5. Describe the sewer system in Philadelphia.
6. What type of power did the mayor of Philadelphia have?
7. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
8. Why was the Free African Society founded?
9. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
10. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)