|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Catherine LeMaigre, what part of her body did she feel as though it was burning up?
2. After a sailor died in a boarding house, who was the next person to die?
(a) Mrs. Richard Parkinson.
(b) Mr. Moore.
(c) Mr. Denny.
(d) Mr. Peter Aston.
3. How much money did the black leaders attempt to raise in order to build a new church?
4. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
(a) Dr. Benjamin Rush.
(b) Dr. Benjamin Duffield.
(c) Dr. William Currie.
(d) Dr. Samuel Griffitts.
5. What was Charles Willson Peale's wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jones and Allen discover a house where the mother was dead, the father was dying, and the children were huddled together, frightened and hungry?
2. What was Catherine LeMaigre's husband's name?
3. What did doctors give Catherine LeMaigre to cool her fever?
4. How often would Catherine LeMaigre vomit?
5. How long did George Washington plan to be gone from Philadelphia when he left the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Free African Society founded?
2. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
3. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
4. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
5. What business was conducted by the members of the Pennsylvania legislature before they adjourned?
6. What did the governor do about the plague?
7. Describe Matthew Clarkson's upbringing and career.
8. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
9. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
10. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)