|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what part of the state house building were the rooms of Joseph Fry, the doorkeeper who died from the fever?
2. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) 4th St.
(b) 13th St.
(c) On or near Water St.
(d) On or near Main St.
3. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
(a) Dr. Samuel Griffitts.
(b) Dr. Benjamin Rush.
(c) Dr. William Currie.
(d) Dr. Benjamin Duffield.
4. What eye condition did Matthew Clarkson have?
5. How many watchmen were supposed to watch the streets of Philadelphia at night?
Short Answer Questions
1. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
2. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
3. What did many people sprinkle around their rooms after whitewashing them?
4. About how many blacks in Philadelphia were slaves?
5. What was Charles Willson Peale's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the Free African Society founded?
2. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
3. What type of news did Philip Freneau print during the plague?
4. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
5. Who Was Dolley Payne Todd?
6. Who was Peter Helm?
7. Why did it seem that the entire city had collapsed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
9. What type of treatment did Dr. Rush prescribe at the beginning of the epidemic?
10. How did landlords respond during the plague?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)