|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did George Washington plan to be gone from Philadelphia when he left the city?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 20 days.
(c) 15 days.
(d) 2 months.
2. When did a savage storm hit the city bringing winds and torrents of rain?
(a) August 30.
(b) August 29.
(c) August 21.
(d) August 25.
3. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
4. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
(a) Robert Morris.
(b) Matthew Clarkson
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Rush.
5. What did doctors give Catherine LeMaigre to cool her fever?
(a) Mercury and the root of a poisonous plant.
(b) Barley water and apple water.
(c) Cold cloths.
(d) Ice chips.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many families did Jones and Allen visit in one day?
2. How often would Catherine LeMaigre vomit?
3. Where did federal department heads move their offices?
4. Where was the militia company stationed that shot off a cannon in Chapter 4?
5. What day of the week were the recommendations published from the College of Physicians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
2. Describe Dr. Rush.
3. What type of medical training did Dr. Benjamin Rush have?
4. In her journal, what did Elizabeth Drinker say about the fever on August 28?
5. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
6. Why did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth believe that Philadelphia would feel God's displeasure?
7. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
8. Describe Catherine LeMaigre's symptoms.
9. What did the volunteers from the Free African Society often find when they entered the homes of fever victims?
10. Why were the black nurses criticized?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)