|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
(a) Dr. Samuel Griffitts.
(b) Dr. Benjamin Rush.
(c) Dr. Benjamin Duffield.
(d) Dr. William Currie.
2. Where did John Bill Ricketts take his circus for the summer?
(a) Rhode Island.
3. When did Clarkson ask the physicians from the College of Physicians to come to a meeting about the plague?
(a) August 19.
(b) August 14.
(c) August 25.
(d) August 28.
4. When was a portrait of Absalom Jones painted by Raphaelle?
5. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
(a) Sarah Smythe's.
(b) William Wright's.
(c) Maggie MacPherson's.
(d) Richard Denny's.
Short Answer Questions
1. When had Dr. Rush seen a similar sickness before?
2. In what part of the state house building were the rooms of Joseph Fry, the doorkeeper who died from the fever?
3. A few days before being called to care for Catherine LeMaigre, which doctor had lost his daughter to the same fever?
4. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
5. What type of church did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth pastor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the main reasons why people stayed in the city during the plague?
2. What did the governor do about the plague?
3. What did Dr. Benjamin Duffield recommend be done to deal with the fever?
4. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
5. Why were the black nurses criticized?
6. Why was there a stench originating from Ball's Wharf?
7. Who were the first two doctors called to see Catherine LeMaigre?
8. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
9. What did A.B. recommend be done to curb the fever in Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser?
10. Why was the Free African Society founded?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)