|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
2. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) 4th St.
(b) On or near Water St.
(c) 13th St.
(d) On or near Main St.
3. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
(a) Benjamin Rush.
(b) Robert Morris.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Matthew Clarkson
4. When was a portrait of Absalom Jones painted by Raphaelle?
5. In 1793, what percent of Philadelphia's black worked as live-in domestic workers?
(a) Over 50%.
(b) About 35%.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was a French watercolor done to show a yellow fever victim in the early stages of the illness?
2. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
3. Where was the mansion located that was commandeered for a place to care for seriously ill patients?
4. When was the last time that there was a yellow fever epidemic?
5. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't anyone notice when eight people died in two houses during one week at the beginning of August?
2. Who decided that a cannon should be fired in the streets of Philadelphia at the end of August?
3. Why was Mayor Clarkson concerned about the rising number of penniless people in Philadelphia?
4. Why did Benjamin Rush ask the Free African society to help nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
5. Why did the members of the Pennsylvania legislature become fearful two days after they began meeting at the statehouse?
6. What types of services did the Free African Society perform for the sick?
7. What did most doctors in Philadelphia believe caused the sickness?
8. Why was the Free African Society founded?
9. What was the problem with the French that troubled President Washington?
10. Why were the black nurses criticized?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)