|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often had the College of Physicians promised to meet during the plague?
(a) Every Tuesday.
(b) Every Monday.
(c) Every other week.
(d) Once a month.
2. Where was a Philadelphia woman and her black servant tarred and feathered?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) Milford, Delaware.
(d) Manhattan, New York.
3. How much did Thomas Jefferson estimate that it cost him to get to Germantown?
4. When did Dr. Rush realize that he had yellow fever?
(a) September 18.
(b) September 21.
(c) September 14.
(d) September 12.
5. Who wrote that Death was riding triumphant on a pale horse at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Elhanan Winchester.
(b) Evan Manning.
(c) Anderson Ryan.
(d) Martin Whitcomb.
6. How many bundles of shirts and dresses for orphans were sent by the Widow Grubb?
7. What was the occupation of a man named Mr. Brooks who reopened his shop on October 31 and died of yellow fever on November 3?
8. Where did Dr. Rush apply to become a member of the medical faculty?
(a) John Hopkins.
(b) Columbia University.
(d) University of Pennsylvania.
9. What paper did Andrew Brown publish?
(a) Federal Gazette.
(c) National Gazette.
(d) Daily News.
10. What decorated houses where people were sick from the yellow fever?
(a) A skull and crossbones.
(b) Tiny red flags.
(c) A notice from the city.
(d) Small blue stars.
11. For how many years had doctors been using bloodletting or phlebotomy?
(a) Nearly 3,500.
(b) About 1,000.
(c) Over 3,000.
(d) More than 2,500.
12. Of what type of church was Reverend John Schmidt a pastor?
13. Who was the governor of Maryland in 1793?
(a) Matthew Vining.
(b) Bryan Andrews.
(c) Thomas Sim Lee.
(d) John David Smythe.
14. Where did Major Christian Piercy become ill as he fled Philadelphia?
(a) Outside Camden.
(d) Near Manhatton.
15. When did Dr. Jean Deveze volunteer to work at Bush Hill?
(a) September 16.
(b) September 1.
(c) August 25.
(d) August 31.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dr. Rush hire a horse-drawn carriage and begin visiting patients after his bout with yellow fever?
2. What state refused to allow a ship from Philadelphia to land and take on water?
3. What was the name of Dr. Rush's sister who died during the plague?
4. Where did Thomas Jefferson and George Washington meet as they traveled toward Philadelphia?
5. How much did some whites charge to put a corpse in a coffin and haul it to a waiting wagon?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)