|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the governor of Maryland in 1793?
(a) Bryan Andrews.
(b) John David Smythe.
(c) Matthew Vining.
(d) Thomas Sim Lee.
2. What state refused to allow a ship from Philadelphia to land and take on water?
(b) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
3. How much did a jury award Dr. Rush including court costs when he sued Cobbett for libel?
4. At whose farm was Major Christian Piercy put out of a stagecoach?
5. How many high-ranking officials of the federal government were within a day's ride of Philadelphia?
6. When did Dr. Rush realize that he had yellow fever?
(a) September 18.
(b) September 21.
(c) September 14.
(d) September 12.
7. In the 1700s, what was often prescribed to break a slight fever?
(b) Herb tea.
8. How many patients did Dr. Rush's five assistants each see in one day after Dr. Rush's recovery?
9. When did George Washington make a personal inspection of Philadelphia?
(a) November 10.
(b) November 1.
(c) November 15.
(d) November 20.
10. After Dr. Rush's assistants bled him and administered the purge, how many days did it take for him to get back on his feet?
11. How long was Dr. Currie's book about Philadelphia's plague?
(a) 112 pages.
(b) 89 pages.
(c) 64 pages.
(d) 25 pages.
12. Who was hired to design and construct Philadelphia's first waterworks?
(a) Franklin Rosling.
(b) Gray Peters.
(c) Davis Nance.
(d) Benjamin Latrobe.
13. By the first of September, how many people were jammed into Bush Hill?
(a) Over 100.
(b) Nearly 150.
(c) Around 50.
(d) About 75.
14. How many times did it rain in September, 1793?
15. When was someone hired to design and construct Philadelphia's first waterworks?
Short Answer Questions
1. By September 5, how many of Dr. Rush's patients did he claim improved with the Ten-and-Ten treatment?
2. How much did some whites charge to put a corpse in a coffin and haul it to a waiting wagon?
3. Where was a Philadelphia woman and her black servant tarred and feathered?
4. What paper did Andrew Brown publish?
5. Where did Dr. Rush apply to become a member of the medical faculty?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)