|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 1700s, what was often prescribed to break a slight fever?
(d) Herb tea.
2. When did Stephen Girard contract a mild case of yellow fever?
3. Of what type of church was Reverend John Schmidt a pastor?
4. Who had President Washington put in charge when he left Philadelphia?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Henry Knox.
(c) James Madison.
(d) John Hancock.
5. On what day did the death toll fall below thirty?
(a) November 4.
(b) October 26.
(c) November 1.
(d) October 31.
6. By the first of September, how many people were jammed into Bush Hill?
(a) Over 100.
(b) About 75.
(c) Around 50.
(d) Nearly 150.
7. What Revolutionary War hero wrote begging Dr. Rush for his help during the 1797 yellow fever epidemic?
(a) Crispus Attucks.
(b) Haym Solomon.
(c) Thaddeus Kosciusko.
(d) Adam Monroe.
8. How many times a day would Dr. Rush administer the Ten-and-Ten or Ten-and-Fifteen Treatment?
9. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
10. Where did Dolley Payne Todd go during the fever outbreak?
(c) Gray's Ferry.
11. How many pounds of blood did Dr. Rush and other doctors at that time believe that the human body held?
12. What was the name of a man who lost his entire family, including his wife, to the plague; and then married again?
13. How old was Stephen Girard in 1793?
14. At the beginning of Chapter 6, about how many persons were ill with the fever?
15. During the plague, how many days might it take for a letter to be sent to or from Philadelphia?
(a) 3-6 days.
(b) 10-14 days.
(c) 8 days.
(d) 17 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years had doctors been using bloodletting or phlebotomy?
2. When did the Black Plague strike in England?
3. When did George Washington make a personal inspection of Philadelphia?
4. How many high-ranking officials of the federal government were within a day's ride of Philadelphia?
5. How many died from yellow fever on Saturday, October 12?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)