|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
2. How much did a jury award Dr. Rush including court costs when he sued Cobbett for libel?
3. Where did Thomas Jefferson and George Washington meet as they traveled toward Philadelphia?
4. When Rush contracted yellow fever again, how many days did he spend confined to bed unable to lift his head?
5. What was the name of a memorable poem written by Philip Freneau?
6. On October 17, which committee member wrote in the official minutes that the fever was winning?
(a) Matthew Carey.
(b) John Bordley.
(c) David Bryan.
(d) Caleb Lownes.
7. When did the fever reappear in Philadelphia?
(a) 1798 and 1804.
(b) 1796 and 1803.
(c) 1794, 1796, 1797, and 1798.
(d) 1795, 1797, 1799, 1801.
8. How much did Thomas Jefferson estimate that it cost him to get to Germantown?
9. How much did the citizens of Manhattan send to aid Philadelphians?
10. How many whale oil streetlamps were in Philadelphia in 1793?
11. When Israel Israel finally won an election of Pennsylvania state legislature, by how many votes did he win?
12. Who had President Washington put in charge when he left Philadelphia?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Henry Knox.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) John Hancock.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 6, about how many persons were ill with the fever?
14. How long was Dr. Currie's book about Philadelphia's plague?
(a) 25 pages.
(b) 64 pages.
(c) 89 pages.
(d) 112 pages.
15. Of what type of church was Reverend John Schmidt a pastor?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the 1700s, what was often prescribed to break a slight fever?
2. What was the occupation of a man named Mr. Brooks who reopened his shop on October 31 and died of yellow fever on November 3?
3. How often had the College of Physicians promised to meet during the plague?
4. When did Dr. Jean Deveze volunteer to work at Bush Hill?
5. When did Dr. Rush hire a horse-drawn carriage and begin visiting patients after his bout with yellow fever?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)