|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had President Washington put in charge when he left Philadelphia?
(a) John Hancock.
(b) James Madison.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Henry Knox.
2. On October 17, which committee member wrote in the official minutes that the fever was winning?
(a) John Bordley.
(b) Matthew Carey.
(c) David Bryan.
(d) Caleb Lownes.
3. What type of church did Reverend Mr. Helmuth pastor?
4. How many bundles of shirts and dresses for orphans were sent by the Widow Grubb?
5. What newspaper was printed occasionally by September?
(a) Philadelphia Daily Advertiser.
(b) Federal Gazette.
(c) National Gazette.
(d) Philadelphia Chronicle.
6. How old was Stephen Girard in 1793?
7. By the first of September, how many people were jammed into Bush Hill?
(a) Around 50.
(b) Nearly 150.
(c) Over 100.
(d) About 75.
8. What was Dolley Payne Todd's husband's name?
9. What state refused to allow a ship from Philadelphia to land and take on water?
(a) New York.
(b) New Jersey.
10. How many weeks did Henry Knox spend in quarantine?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
11. When did the Black Plague strike in England?
12. What was the name of Dr. Rush's sister who died during the plague?
13. When did Dr. Rush hire a horse-drawn carriage and begin visiting patients after his bout with yellow fever?
(a) September 23.
(b) September 21.
(c) September 19.
(d) September 25.
14. After Dr. Rush seemed to be cured of yellow fever, how many patients sought him in a day?
15. What paper did Andrew Brown publish?
(a) Daily News.
(c) Federal Gazette.
(d) National Gazette.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dr. Jean Deveze volunteer to work at Bush Hill?
2. How often had the College of Physicians promised to meet during the plague?
3. What Revolutionary War hero wrote begging Dr. Rush for his help during the 1797 yellow fever epidemic?
4. How many whale oil streetlamps were in Philadelphia in 1793?
5. What was the name of a man who lost his entire family, including his wife, to the plague; and then married again?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)