|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Black Plague strike in England?
2. Where was a Philadelphia woman and her black servant tarred and feathered?
(a) Manhattan, New York.
(b) New Jersey.
(d) Milford, Delaware.
3. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
4. When Israel Israel finally won an election of Pennsylvania state legislature, by how many votes did he win?
5. Who was the governor of Maryland in 1793?
(a) John David Smythe.
(b) Bryan Andrews.
(c) Thomas Sim Lee.
(d) Matthew Vining.
6. How old was the servant boy that Dr. Rush trained to open a vein and see the sick?
7. How much did a jury award Dr. Rush including court costs when he sued Cobbett for libel?
8. Who had President Washington put in charge when he left Philadelphia?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Henry Knox.
(c) John Hancock.
(d) James Madison.
9. Of what type of church was Reverend John Schmidt a pastor?
10. How long was Dr. Currie's book about Philadelphia's plague?
(a) 64 pages.
(b) 112 pages.
(c) 89 pages.
(d) 25 pages.
11. What Revolutionary War hero wrote begging Dr. Rush for his help during the 1797 yellow fever epidemic?
(a) Thaddeus Kosciusko.
(b) Adam Monroe.
(c) Crispus Attucks.
(d) Haym Solomon.
12. How many bundles of shirts and dresses for orphans were sent by the Widow Grubb?
13. What decorated houses where people were sick from the yellow fever?
(a) A skull and crossbones.
(b) A notice from the city.
(c) Small blue stars.
(d) Tiny red flags.
14. How old was Israel Israel at the time of the plague?
15. Where was Stephen Girard born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the fever reappear in Philadelphia?
2. What was the occupation of a man named Mr. Brooks who reopened his shop on October 31 and died of yellow fever on November 3?
3. What was the name of a memorable poem written by Philip Freneau?
4. Who wrote that Death was riding triumphant on a pale horse at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. How many times a day would Dr. Rush administer the Ten-and-Ten or Ten-and-Fifteen Treatment?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)