|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Dolley Payne Todd go during the fever outbreak?
(d) Gray's Ferry.
2. Where was a Philadelphia woman and her black servant tarred and feathered?
(b) Milford, Delaware.
(c) New Jersey.
(d) Manhattan, New York.
3. How much more did the committee spend than it had received in donations?
4. What was the occupation of a man named Mr. Brooks who reopened his shop on October 31 and died of yellow fever on November 3?
5. When did George Washington make a personal inspection of Philadelphia?
(a) November 10.
(b) November 15.
(c) November 20.
(d) November 1.
6. What paper did Andrew Brown publish?
(a) National Gazette.
(b) Daily News.
(c) Federal Gazette.
7. At whose farm was Major Christian Piercy put out of a stagecoach?
8. What state refused to allow a ship from Philadelphia to land and take on water?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
9. What was the name of William Cobbett's paper?
(a) The Eagle's Courier.
(b) The Porcupine's Gazette.
(c) The Daily Prophet.
(d) The Daily News.
10. What was the name of a man who lost his entire family, including his wife, to the plague; and then married again?
11. How many times a day would Dr. Rush administer the Ten-and-Ten or Ten-and-Fifteen Treatment?
12. How many whale oil streetlamps were in Philadelphia in 1793?
13. Who was the governor of Maryland in 1793?
(a) Bryan Andrews.
(b) Matthew Vining.
(c) Thomas Sim Lee.
(d) John David Smythe.
14. What Revolutionary War hero wrote begging Dr. Rush for his help during the 1797 yellow fever epidemic?
(a) Crispus Attucks.
(b) Haym Solomon.
(c) Thaddeus Kosciusko.
(d) Adam Monroe.
15. When was someone hired to design and construct Philadelphia's first waterworks?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Dr. Jean Deveze volunteer to work at Bush Hill?
2. When did the fever reappear in Philadelphia?
3. When did Dr. Rush realize that he had yellow fever?
4. When did Stephen Girard contract a mild case of yellow fever?
5. Where did Major Christian Piercy become ill as he fled Philadelphia?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)