|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What church in Philadelphia had been built with the help of blacks?
(a) St. John Episcopal Church.
(b) St. George Methodist Church.
(c) St. Thomas Episcopal Church.
(d) St. Peter Episcopal Church.
2. How many people do historians estimate fled from Philadelphia during the fever?
3. How many children did Clarkson have?
4. Who was the owner of Bush Hill?
(a) David Browning.
(b) Robert Ashworth.
(c) William Hamilton.
(d) George Smythe.
5. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
(d) New York.
6. How many died on September 8?
7. Where was the mansion located that was commandeered for a place to care for seriously ill patients?
(a) At eastern edge of the city.
(b) 3 miles south of the city.
(c) 2 ½ miles northwest of the city.
(d) At the western edge of the city.
8. How many people lived in Philadelphia in 1793?
9. What was the name of Clarkson's son who died during the plague?
10. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
(a) Samuel Powel.
(b) Jason Manning.
(c) John Whitcomb.
(d) Mason Brighting.
11. What did physicians call the tiny reddish sores that erupted on individuals who had the plague?
12. Where did Jones and Allen discover a house where the mother was dead, the father was dying, and the children were huddled together, frightened and hungry?
(a) Water St.
(b) Beckett's Allley.
(c) Emsley's Alley.
(d) Main St.
13. What was Charles Willson Peale's wife's name?
14. What eye condition did Matthew Clarkson have?
15. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) On or near Main St.
(b) 4th St.
(c) On or near Water St.
(d) 13th St.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Dr. Rush's wife that summer of 1793?
2. Where was the militia company stationed that shot off a cannon in Chapter 4?
3. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. How many physicians were in Philadelphia in 1793?
5. What was the name of the second-year medical student who volunteered to help at Bush Hill?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)