|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the governor of Pennsylvania in 1793?
2. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) August 1.
(b) July 31.
(c) July 15.
(d) August 3.
3. How many people do historians estimate fled from Philadelphia during the fever?
4. How many shops were in Philadelphia in 1793?
5. When was the Free African Society founded?
6. To Catherine LeMaigre, what part of her body did she feel as though it was burning up?
7. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) On or near Water St.
(b) On or near Main St.
(c) 4th St.
(d) 13th St.
8. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
(a) Matthew Clarkson
(b) Robert Morris.
(c) Benjamin Rush.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
9. In what part of the state house building were the rooms of Joseph Fry, the doorkeeper who died from the fever?
10. How many families did Jones and Allen visit in one day?
11. Where did John Bill Ricketts take his circus for the summer?
(c) Rhode Island.
12. What was the average yearly income in Philadelphia in 1793?
13. What was the nationality of the sailor who had a fever and seizures before he died on August 3?
14. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
15. What was the name of the newspaper that was printed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(b) The Federal Gazette.
(c) Daily News.
(d) City Paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the sloop Amelia come from?
2. What was the largest city in North America in 1793?
3. How much money was donated to refugees from Santo Domingo?
4. How many physicians from the College of Physicians showed up when Matthew Clarkson called a meeting?
5. How long had medical professionals believed that disease was caused by body humors being out of balance?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)