|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which direction were the swamps near Philadelphia that had lost water due to the intense heat?
2. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
(a) Samuel Powel.
(b) John Whitcomb.
(c) Mason Brighting.
(d) Jason Manning.
3. How many people do historians estimate fled from Philadelphia during the fever?
4. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) July 15.
(b) July 31.
(c) August 3.
(d) August 1.
5. What day of the week did Catherine LeMaigre die?
6. How often would Catherine LeMaigre vomit?
(a) Every 10 minutes or so.
(b) Every 15 minutes.
(c) About every 30 minutes.
(d) Every couple hours.
7. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
(a) Sarah Smythe's.
(b) Richard Denny's.
(c) William Wright's.
(d) Maggie MacPherson's.
8. How long had medical professionals believed that disease was caused by body humors being out of balance?
(a) 3,000 years.
(b) 700 years.
(c) 2,500 years.
(d) 500 years.
9. How many shops were in Philadelphia in 1793?
10. In what part of the state house building were the rooms of Joseph Fry, the doorkeeper who died from the fever?
11. To Catherine LeMaigre, what part of her body did she feel as though it was burning up?
12. Where did the sloop Amelia come from?
(d) Santo Domingo.
13. How many people who contracted yellow fever usually died from it?
(a) 10 percent.
(b) 50 percent.
(c) 25 percent.
(d) 75 percent.
14. What did physicians call the tiny reddish sores that erupted on individuals who had the plague?
15. What was Catherine LeMaigre's husband's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many groups in Philadelphia stepped forward and offered to help with the sick and deceased?
2. What did A.B., a contributor to "Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser," find in rainwater barrels?
3. What was the average yearly income in Philadelphia in 1793?
4. How many French refugees fled a fierce slave rebellion?
5. What was the name of the newspaper that was printed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)