|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the average yearly income in Philadelphia in 1793?
2. What was the name of one of the rivers that was drying up near Philadelphia?
3. How many groups in Philadelphia stepped forward and offered to help with the sick and deceased?
4. How many people died in two houses on the same street during one week?
5. How many died on September 8?
6. How much money did the black leaders attempt to raise in order to build a new church?
7. How long had medical professionals believed that disease was caused by body humors being out of balance?
(a) 3,000 years.
(b) 2,500 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 700 years.
8. How many physicians were in Philadelphia in 1793?
9. How many people who contracted yellow fever usually died from it?
(a) 50 percent.
(b) 25 percent.
(c) 75 percent.
(d) 10 percent.
10. When did George and Martha Washington leave Philadelphia?
(a) September 10.
(b) August 23.
(c) September 30.
(d) September 21.
11. Who wrote a letter asking the Free African Society to nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
(a) Benjamin Rush.
(b) Richard Allen.
(c) Matthew Clarkson.
(d) Absalom Jones.
12. Where did the sloop Amelia come from?
(a) Santo Domingo.
13. What was the nationality of the sailor who had a fever and seizures before he died on August 3?
14. Where was the mansion located that was commandeered for a place to care for seriously ill patients?
(a) At the western edge of the city.
(b) 3 miles south of the city.
(c) At eastern edge of the city.
(d) 2 ½ miles northwest of the city.
15. What year was a French watercolor done to show a yellow fever victim in the early stages of the illness?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jones and Allen discover a house where the mother was dead, the father was dying, and the children were huddled together, frightened and hungry?
2. How many children did Clarkson have?
3. When was the Free African Society founded?
4. How many representatives met at the state house on August 27?
5. How many of his children did Charles Willson Peale shut inside his museum-residence along with himself and his wife?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)