|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the doctor who had studied yellow fever, but never seen it?
(a) Dr. Samuel Griffitts.
(b) Dr. Benjamin Rush.
(c) Dr. William Currie.
(d) Dr. Benjamin Duffield.
2. How many groups in Philadelphia stepped forward and offered to help with the sick and deceased?
3. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
4. In which direction were the swamps near Philadelphia that had lost water due to the intense heat?
5. When was a portrait of Absalom Jones painted by Raphaelle?
6. Where was the mansion located that was commandeered for a place to care for seriously ill patients?
(a) At the western edge of the city.
(b) 2 ½ miles northwest of the city.
(c) 3 miles south of the city.
(d) At eastern edge of the city.
7. About how many free blacks lived in Philadelphia?
8. What doctor wrote about the disgusting aspects of the vomit that spewed from fever victims?
(a) Isaac Cathrall.
(b) Walter Reed.
(c) Benjamin Rush.
(d) William Lewis.
9. How many people do historians estimate fled from Philadelphia during the fever?
10. Where did John Bill Ricketts take his circus for the summer?
(d) Rhode Island.
11. How old was Catherine LeMaigre when she became ill?
12. Where was the militia company stationed that shot off a cannon in Chapter 4?
(a) Fort Gaddis.
(b) Fort Ligonier.
(c) Fort Allen.
(d) Fort Mifflin.
13. How many people lived in Philadelphia in 1793?
14. What was Catherine LeMaigre's husband's name?
15. How many of his children did Charles Willson Peale shut inside his museum-residence along with himself and his wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What church in Philadelphia had been built with the help of blacks?
2. How much money was donated to refugees from Santo Domingo?
3. How many rooms were there in Bush Hill?
4. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
5. How many people died in two houses on the same street during one week?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)