|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day of the week were the recommendations published from the College of Physicians?
2. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
(a) John Whitcomb.
(b) Samuel Powel.
(c) Jason Manning.
(d) Mason Brighting.
3. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) 13th St.
(b) 4th St.
(c) On or near Water St.
(d) On or near Main St.
4. When had Dr. Rush seen a similar sickness before?
5. How many blacks were Jones and Allen in direct contact with who might have helped tend the sick?
6. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
7. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
8. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
9. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Benjamin Rush.
(c) Robert Morris.
(d) Matthew Clarkson
10. What was the average yearly income in Philadelphia in 1793?
11. How many of his children did Charles Willson Peale shut inside his museum-residence along with himself and his wife?
12. What did doctors give Catherine LeMaigre to cool her fever?
(a) Mercury and the root of a poisonous plant.
(b) Barley water and apple water.
(c) Cold cloths.
(d) Ice chips.
13. Who wrote a letter asking the Free African Society to nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
(a) Matthew Clarkson.
(b) Richard Allen.
(c) Benjamin Rush.
(d) Absalom Jones.
14. How many representatives met at the state house on August 27?
15. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money was donated to refugees from Santo Domingo?
2. What was the name of the newspaper that was printed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. In 1793, what percent of Philadelphia's black worked as live-in domestic workers?
4. How old was Isaac Heston when the plague struck Philadelphia?
5. In which direction were the swamps near Philadelphia that had lost water due to the intense heat?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)