|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Guardians were in charge of caring for the poor who did not live in the city almshouse?
2. How did Louis XVI die?
(c) In a dungeon with no food or water.
(d) Shot by a firing squad.
3. What did many people sprinkle around their rooms after whitewashing them?
(b) Baking soda.
4. Where was Dr. Rush's wife that summer of 1793?
5. How long did George Washington plan to be gone from Philadelphia when he left the city?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 20 days.
(d) 1 month.
6. How many physicians were in Philadelphia in 1793?
7. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
8. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Matthew Clarkson
(c) Benjamin Rush.
(d) Robert Morris.
9. How many children did Clarkson have?
10. When did George and Martha Washington leave Philadelphia?
(a) September 30.
(b) September 10.
(c) August 23.
(d) September 21.
11. What type of church did Rev. J. Henry C. Helmuth pastor?
12. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
(a) William Wright's.
(b) Richard Denny's.
(c) Sarah Smythe's.
(d) Maggie MacPherson's.
13. What church in Philadelphia had been built with the help of blacks?
(a) St. George Methodist Church.
(b) St. Peter Episcopal Church.
(c) St. Thomas Episcopal Church.
(d) St. John Episcopal Church.
14. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
(a) Mason Brighting.
(b) Samuel Powel.
(c) Jason Manning.
(d) John Whitcomb.
15. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the newspaper that was printed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. What was the nationality of the sailor who had a fever and seizures before he died on August 3?
3. Where was the militia company stationed that shot off a cannon in Chapter 4?
4. How many people died in two houses on the same street during one week?
5. About how many blacks in Philadelphia were slaves?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)