|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did many people sprinkle around their rooms after whitewashing them?
(c) Baking soda.
2. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) On or near Main St.
(b) 13th St.
(c) On or near Water St.
(d) 4th St.
3. What was the date at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) September 12.
(b) August 31.
(c) August 18.
(d) September 5.
4. In which direction were the swamps near Philadelphia that had lost water due to the intense heat?
5. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
6. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Robert Morris.
(c) Benjamin Rush.
(d) Matthew Clarkson
7. How many families did Jones and Allen visit in one day?
8. Who wrote a letter asking the Free African Society to nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
(a) Benjamin Rush.
(b) Richard Allen.
(c) Absalom Jones.
(d) Matthew Clarkson.
9. How many children did Clarkson have?
10. How many blacks were Jones and Allen in direct contact with who might have helped tend the sick?
11. How many humors did physicians believe there were in the human body?
12. How many times a day did Charles Willson Peale fire a musket inside his house?
13. How often would Catherine LeMaigre vomit?
(a) Every couple hours.
(b) Every 15 minutes.
(c) About every 30 minutes.
(d) Every 10 minutes or so.
14. What was the name of Clarkson's son who died during the plague?
15. Where was the mansion located that was commandeered for a place to care for seriously ill patients?
(a) At eastern edge of the city.
(b) 2 ½ miles northwest of the city.
(c) At the western edge of the city.
(d) 3 miles south of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the sewers called in Philadelphia?
2. When was the last time that there was a yellow fever epidemic?
3. How many representatives met at the state house on August 27?
4. What was the name of the newspaper that was printed at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. How many rooms were there in Bush Hill?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)