|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Matthew Clarkson become mayor of Philadelphia?
2. How many physicians from the College of Physicians showed up when Matthew Clarkson called a meeting?
3. About how many free blacks lived in Philadelphia?
4. How many Overseers were in charge of managing the city almshouse?
5. Who was the speaker of the Senate in 1793?
(a) John Whitcomb.
(b) Samuel Powel.
(c) Mason Brighting.
(d) Jason Manning.
6. How many people who contracted yellow fever usually died from it?
(a) 75 percent.
(b) 10 percent.
(c) 25 percent.
(d) 50 percent.
7. When had Dr. Rush seen a similar sickness before?
8. What was the name of one of the rivers that was drying up near Philadelphia?
9. Who was the owner of Bush Hill?
(a) George Smythe.
(b) David Browning.
(c) Robert Ashworth.
(d) William Hamilton.
10. Where did Jones and Allen discover a house where the mother was dead, the father was dying, and the children were huddled together, frightened and hungry?
(a) Main St.
(b) Beckett's Allley.
(c) Emsley's Alley.
(d) Water St.
11. According to Dr. Hodge, where did the first deaths from the fever happen?
(a) 4th St.
(b) On or near Main St.
(c) On or near Water St.
(d) 13th St.
12. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
(a) Maggie MacPherson's.
(b) Sarah Smythe's.
(c) William Wright's.
(d) Richard Denny's.
13. How many shops were in Philadelphia in 1793?
14. When did Clarkson ask the physicians from the College of Physicians to come to a meeting about the plague?
(a) August 25.
(b) August 28.
(c) August 19.
(d) August 14.
15. How many children did Clarkson have?
Short Answer Questions
1. To Catherine LeMaigre, what part of her body did she feel as though it was burning up?
2. What was the name of the second-year medical student who volunteered to help at Bush Hill?
3. How much did some nurses begin receiving for tending the sick?
4. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
5. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)