|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Benjamin Rush in 1793?
2. How much money did the black leaders attempt to raise in order to build a new church?
3. How many people lived in Philadelphia in 1793?
4. Who wrote a letter asking the Free African Society to nurse the sick and attend to the dead?
(a) Richard Allen.
(b) Absalom Jones.
(c) Matthew Clarkson.
(d) Benjamin Rush.
5. Where was the militia company stationed that shot off a cannon in Chapter 4?
(a) Fort Ligonier.
(b) Fort Gaddis.
(c) Fort Allen.
(d) Fort Mifflin.
6. What did A.B., a contributor to "Dunlap's American Daily Advertiser," find in rainwater barrels?
(a) Dead cats.
(c) Dead dogs.
7. How many families did Jones and Allen visit in one day?
8. What was the average yearly income in Philadelphia in 1793?
9. Who lent his house to George and Martha Washington?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Robert Morris.
(c) Matthew Clarkson
(d) Benjamin Rush.
10. What were the sewers called in Philadelphia?
11. How long had medical professionals believed that disease was caused by body humors being out of balance?
(a) 3,000 years.
(b) 500 years.
(c) 2,500 years.
(d) 700 years.
12. How long did George Washington plan to be gone from Philadelphia when he left the city?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 15 days.
(d) 20 days.
13. How many physicians from the College of Physicians showed up when Matthew Clarkson called a meeting?
14. In what boarding house did a sailor die of a fever?
(a) Richard Denny's.
(b) Maggie MacPherson's.
(c) William Wright's.
(d) Sarah Smythe's.
15. What was the nationality of the sailor who had a fever and seizures before he died on August 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1793, what percent of Philadelphia's black worked as live-in domestic workers?
2. What cargo did the sloop Amelia bring to Philadelphia?
3. How many physicians were in Philadelphia in 1793?
4. A few days before being called to care for Catherine LeMaigre, which doctor had lost his daughter to the same fever?
5. On August 27, how many senators from the Pennsylvania legislature met at the state house?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)