|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Clive believe he plays?
2. Who does Julian's wife publicly denounce?
3. What right does Vernon deny Julian by publishing his photos?
4. What is believed to be the cause of problems between Vernon and Clive?
5. What is Vernon's initial response to Clive's confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
2. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
3. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
4. How is Clive unethical?
5. How is Vernon unethical?
6. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
7. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
8. What affect does the revealed photo have on Julian Garmony's career?
9. What choice does Clive make on his hiking trip?
10. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Vernon's fortune reverses. Does Clive's fortune take a similar negative spiral? What about George and Julian? Cite at least three sources.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze any of the two of the characters and their relationship throughout the novel. What motivates them? How are they connected? What are their goals? Do their lives have any parallels?
Essay Topic 3
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)