|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clive go to hike?
2. When Vernon meets with his newspaper staff for the first time in Chapter Four, what happens?
3. What is Julian's wife's reaction to his sexuality?
4. Why is Vernon angry at his staff?
5. Where does Clive go after his hiking trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
2. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
3. How is Clive unethical?
4. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
5. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
6. Why does Clive oppose Vernon's plan to post the pictures?
7. Why does Rose Garmony go on TV instead of Julian?
8. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
9. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
10. Describe the photos that Vernon has of Julian.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How far does each character go in serving their own interests? Does each character get away with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze any of the two of the characters and their relationship throughout the novel. What motivates them? How are they connected? What are their goals? Do their lives have any parallels?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)