|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Julian been outed as?
2. What is Clive doing when he sees an argument occur?
3. What does Vernon show Clive when they see each other?
4. When Vernon meets with his newspaper staff for the first time in Chapter Four, what happens?
5. What does Vernon look like when Clive sees him for the first time after Vernon receives the pictures.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the root cause of Clive and Vernon's relationship falling apart?
2. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
3. What choice does Clive make on his hiking trip?
4. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
5. What affect does the revealed photo have on Julian Garmony's career?
6. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
7. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
8. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
9. Why does Rose Garmony go on TV instead of Julian?
10. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Does each character achieve their overall goal in the novel? Does each character get the revenge they seek? How do you think each character feels at the end of the novel?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)