|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Vernon meets with his newspaper staff for the first time in Chapter Four, what happens?
2. What has Julian been outed as?
3. What effect does the anticipated photos have on The Judge?
4. What is Clive doing when he sees an argument occur?
5. What type of worker is Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person point of view? Does the novel work if it is written in a different point of view? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ways in which each character fails to see their own shortcomings, even up to the end of the novel where the only thing that all of them cares about is revenge.
Essay Topic 3
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)