|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the anticipated photos have on The Judge?
2. What is the main setting of Chapter Three?
3. What does Clive prepare for when he returns after hiking?
4. What roles does Clive believe that Vernon plays?
5. What does Vernon show Clive when they see each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
2. How is Vernon's fortune been reversed?
3. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
4. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
5. Why does Rose Garmony go on TV instead of Julian?
6. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
7. What inspires Clive when he goes hiking?
8. What choice does Clive make on his hiking trip?
9. Is Vernon really a victim? If so, what is he a victim of?
10. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)