|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clive get to Penrith?
2. By publishing the pictures, who does Vernon betray?
3. Where does Clive go to hike?
4. Who does Julian trust with the photographs?
5. What is Vernon's complaint to Clive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the photos that Vernon has of Julian.
2. How is Clive unethical?
3. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
4. What inspires Clive when he goes hiking?
5. Why does Rose Garmony go on TV instead of Julian?
6. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
7. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
8. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
9. What choice does Clive make on his hiking trip?
10. How is Vernon unethical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a protagonist in Amsterdam? Why or why not? Is there an antagonist in the novel? Why or why not? What is significant about the protagonist and antagonist roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the foreshadowing that occurs throughout the novel. What predictions do you make based on foreshadowing? Are your predictions correct? Cite at least three quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Though revenge is a key theme of the novel, there are others as well. What are three other themes or symbols in the novel? How do they contribute to the novel's plot? What is the significance of including these symbols in the novel?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)