|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Clive and Vernon fail to see?
2. What is the main setting of Chapter Three?
3. What is Clive doing when he sees an argument occur?
4. What consequence does Vernon consider to posting the pictures?
5. What is Frank's role at The Judge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Vernon's fate a consequence of poor judgment?
2. Why does Clive oppose Vernon's plan to post the pictures?
3. How is Vernon unethical?
4. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
5. What inspires Clive when he goes hiking?
6. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
7. What is the root cause of Clive and Vernon's relationship falling apart?
8. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
9. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
10. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Though revenge is a key theme of the novel, there are others as well. What are three other themes or symbols in the novel? How do they contribute to the novel's plot? What is the significance of including these symbols in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Does each character achieve their overall goal in the novel? Does each character get the revenge they seek? How do you think each character feels at the end of the novel?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)