|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What roles does Clive believe that Vernon plays?
2. According to Vernon, why does Clive contact the authorities?
3. What happens to Vernon's job at The Judge?
4. When Vernon meets with his newspaper staff for the first time in Chapter Four, what happens?
5. How does Clive feel about ignoring the argument?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Clive unethical?
2. Why does Clive oppose Vernon's plan to post the pictures?
3. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
4. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
5. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
6. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
7. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
8. Is Vernon really a victim? If so, what is he a victim of?
9. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
10. Why does Rose Garmony go on TV instead of Julian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the foreshadowing that occurs throughout the novel. What predictions do you make based on foreshadowing? Are your predictions correct? Cite at least three quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Is the ending of the novel realistic? If so, can you see why others might not think so? If you think it's unrealistic, why? What changes to make the ending more realistic?
Essay Topic 3
How is the novel Amsterdam controversial? How do you think society views this book? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson about euthanasia? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)