|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clive go to hike?
2. What is Vernon afraid of?
3. How does Clive get to Penrith?
4. According to Vernon, why does Clive contact the authorities?
5. Why is Vernon angry at his staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
2. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
3. How is Vernon's fortune been reversed?
4. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
5. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
6. What affect does the revealed photo have on Julian Garmony's career?
7. What inspires Clive when he goes hiking?
8. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
9. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
10. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Vernon's fortune reverses. Does Clive's fortune take a similar negative spiral? What about George and Julian? Cite at least three sources.
Essay Topic 2
Though revenge is a key theme of the novel, there are others as well. What are three other themes or symbols in the novel? How do they contribute to the novel's plot? What is the significance of including these symbols in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)