|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vernon call Clive in Chapter Four?
2. What is Clive doing when he sees an argument occur?
3. What role does Clive believe he plays?
4. What enables Vernon to be able to publish the photos in Chapter Three?
5. What does Julian's wife compare the person she denounces to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Clive unethical?
2. What inspires Clive when he goes hiking?
3. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
4. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
5. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
6. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
7. How is Vernon unethical?
8. What is the root cause of Clive and Vernon's relationship falling apart?
9. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
10. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
How far does each character go in serving their own interests? Does each character get away with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)