|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clive go after his hiking trip?
2. Why is Vernon angry at his staff?
3. Through what outlet does the Garmony family make a statement?
4. By publishing the pictures, who does Vernon betray?
5. What does Julian's wife compare the person she denounces to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
2. What is the root cause of Clive and Vernon's relationship falling apart?
3. Describe the photos that Vernon has of Julian.
4. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
5. Is Vernon really a victim? If so, what is he a victim of?
6. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
7. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
8. How is Vernon unethical?
9. What conclusions does Clive come to about his relationship with Vernon?
10. How is Vernon's fate a consequence of poor judgment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person point of view? Does the novel work if it is written in a different point of view? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Determine the climax, introduction, resolution, and rising action in the novel. Use at least four quotes from the novel, and your reasoning behind your opinions.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)