|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clive feel about ignoring the argument?
2. What does Vernon look like when Clive sees him for the first time after Vernon receives the pictures.
3. Why does Vernon call Clive in Chapter Four?
4. What does Clive think about on his way to Penrith?
5. What is Frank's role at The Judge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
2. What is the root cause of Clive and Vernon's relationship falling apart?
3. How is Vernon's fate a consequence of poor judgment?
4. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
5. Describe the photos that Vernon has of Julian.
6. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
7. Why does Rose Garmony go on TV instead of Julian?
8. How is Clive unethical?
9. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
10. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title of the novel relevant to the plot? What hints are there that the novel ends in Amsterdam, other than the title? What is assumed from the title?
Essay Topic 2
Though revenge is a key theme of the novel, there are others as well. What are three other themes or symbols in the novel? How do they contribute to the novel's plot? What is the significance of including these symbols in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)