|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Clive doing when he sees an argument occur?
2. What does Vernon want Clive to do?
3. What is Vernon's complaint to Clive?
4. What does Vernon show Clive when they see each other?
5. Why are the pictures of Julian so scandalous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the root cause of Clive and Vernon's relationship falling apart?
2. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
3. Is Vernon really a victim? If so, what is he a victim of?
4. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
5. Why does Clive oppose Vernon's plan to post the pictures?
6. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
7. What affect does the revealed photo have on Julian Garmony's career?
8. Describe the photos that Vernon has of Julian.
9. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
10. What choice does Clive make on his hiking trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though revenge is a key theme of the novel, there are others as well. What are three other themes or symbols in the novel? How do they contribute to the novel's plot? What is the significance of including these symbols in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person point of view? Does the novel work if it is written in a different point of view? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the title of the novel relevant to the plot? What hints are there that the novel ends in Amsterdam, other than the title? What is assumed from the title?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)