|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Clive in Chapter Four?
2. What is Vernon's staff's reaction to the Garmony's going to the media?
3. On what day is Vernon hailed as the savior of The Judge?
4. What happens to Vernon's job at The Judge?
5. In Clive's opinion, what does Vernon lack?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Vernon's fortune reverses. Does Clive's fortune take a similar negative spiral? What about George and Julian? Cite at least three sources.
Essay Topic 2
How does Ian McEwan use flashbacks in Amsterdam? Are they effective in moving the story along or do they hinder its development? Why are the flashbacks important to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)