|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best defines Vernon's staff at The Judge in Chapter Four?
2. What is Vernon afraid of?
3. Who does Chapter Three focus on?
4. When Vernon meets with his newspaper staff for the first time in Chapter Four, what happens?
5. Who does Julian trust with the photographs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
2. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
3. Why does Rose Garmony go on TV instead of Julian?
4. Is Vernon really a victim? If so, what is he a victim of?
5. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
6. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
7. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
8. How is Vernon's fate a consequence of poor judgment?
9. What affect does the revealed photo have on Julian Garmony's career?
10. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How far does each character go in serving their own interests? Does each character get away with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the novel Amsterdam controversial? How do you think society views this book? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson about euthanasia? Why or why not?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)