|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the anticipated photos have on The Judge?
2. Which characters physically appear in Chapter Three?
3. What is Frank's last name?
4. What does Vernon want Clive to do?
5. What is Frank's role at The Judge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Clive unethical?
2. Describe the photos that Vernon has of Julian.
3. How is Vernon's fate a consequence of poor judgment?
4. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
5. How is Vernon's fortune been reversed?
6. How is Vernon unethical?
7. Why does Clive oppose Vernon's plan to post the pictures?
8. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
9. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
10. What conclusions does Clive come to about his relationship with Vernon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title of the novel relevant to the plot? What hints are there that the novel ends in Amsterdam, other than the title? What is assumed from the title?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the way in which Vernon's fortune reverses. Does Clive's fortune take a similar negative spiral? What about George and Julian? Cite at least three sources.
Essay Topic 3
Is the ending of the novel realistic? If so, can you see why others might not think so? If you think it's unrealistic, why? What changes to make the ending more realistic?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)