|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Julian been outed as?
2. How does Clive feel about ignoring the argument?
3. What does Vernon criticize in Chapter Four?
4. What enables Vernon to be able to publish the photos in Chapter Three?
5. Through what outlet does the Garmony family make a statement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
2. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
3. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
4. How is Vernon's fortune been reversed?
5. What choice does Clive make on his hiking trip?
6. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
7. How is Clive unethical?
8. What is the root cause of Clive and Vernon's relationship falling apart?
9. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
10. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze any of the two of the characters and their relationship throughout the novel. What motivates them? How are they connected? What are their goals? Do their lives have any parallels?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the novel being written in the third person point of view? Does the novel work if it is written in a different point of view? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At what point does the relationship between Vernon and Clive begin to deteriorate? Why? Track the status of their relationship using evidence from the novel.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)