|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clive go after his hiking trip?
2. Why does Vernon call Clive in Chapter Four?
3. Which word best defines Vernon's staff at The Judge in Chapter Four?
4. What does Clive find inspirational while hiking?
5. What does Clive choose to do when he sees the argument?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
2. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
3. How is Vernon unethical?
4. What inspires Clive when he goes hiking?
5. How is Clive unethical?
6. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
7. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
8. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
9. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
10. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ways in which each character fails to see their own shortcomings, even up to the end of the novel where the only thing that all of them cares about is revenge.
Essay Topic 2
Determine the climax, introduction, resolution, and rising action in the novel. Use at least four quotes from the novel, and your reasoning behind your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the parallels between the lives of Clive and Vernon? Discuss other parallels that occur throughout the novel.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)