|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vernon look like when Clive sees him for the first time after Vernon receives the pictures.
2. Why does Vernon call Clive in Chapter Four?
3. Which word best describes Clive in Chapter Four?
4. What is the name of Julian's wife?
5. What do both Clive and Vernon fail to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What affect does the revealed photo have on Julian Garmony's career?
2. Is Vernon really a victim? If so, what is he a victim of?
3. How is Vernon unethical?
4. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
5. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
6. How is Vernon's fate a consequence of poor judgment?
7. Why does Clive oppose Vernon's plan to post the pictures?
8. What is the root cause of Clive and Vernon's relationship falling apart?
9. What conclusions does Clive come to about his relationship with Vernon?
10. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ian McEwan use flashbacks in Amsterdam? Are they effective in moving the story along or do they hinder its development? Why are the flashbacks important to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze any of the two of the characters and their relationship throughout the novel. What motivates them? How are they connected? What are their goals? Do their lives have any parallels?
Essay Topic 3
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)