|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernon's initial response to Clive's confession?
2. When Vernon meets with his newspaper staff for the first time in Chapter Four, what happens?
3. Which word best defines Vernon's staff at The Judge in Chapter Four?
4. Why is Vernon angry at his staff?
5. In Chapter Three, who does Clive get an urgent call from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
2. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
3. What obstacles stand in the way of Vernon's plan for Julian's photos?
4. Describe the photos that Vernon has of Julian.
5. Is Vernon really a victim? If so, what is he a victim of?
6. What conclusions does Clive come to about his relationship with Vernon?
7. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
8. How is Vernon unethical?
9. How is Vernon's fate a consequence of poor judgment?
10. How is Vernon's fortune been reversed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a protagonist in Amsterdam? Why or why not? Is there an antagonist in the novel? Why or why not? What is significant about the protagonist and antagonist roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ways in which each character fails to see their own shortcomings, even up to the end of the novel where the only thing that all of them cares about is revenge.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze any of the two of the characters and their relationship throughout the novel. What motivates them? How are they connected? What are their goals? Do their lives have any parallels?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)