|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frank's last name?
2. What is the name of Julian's wife?
3. Which characters physically appear in Chapter Three?
4. What does Clive choose to do when he sees the argument?
5. Why doesn't Clive want to tell the police what he sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
2. Are Clive and Vernon hypocrites? Why or why not?
3. What conclusions does Clive come to about his relationship with Vernon?
4. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
5. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
6. Why does Clive oppose Vernon's plan to post the pictures?
7. How is Vernon's fate a consequence of poor judgment?
8. What inspires Clive when he goes hiking?
9. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
10. How is Vernon unethical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
How far does each character go in serving their own interests? Does each character get away with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is the ending of the novel realistic? If so, can you see why others might not think so? If you think it's unrealistic, why? What changes to make the ending more realistic?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)