|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George want revenge on Julian?
2. What type of story is featured in The Judge the day of Vernon's first meeting in the novel?
3. In what ways does Vernon hope to ruin Julian's life?
4. Why is George vengeful toward the other men?
5. What is Vernon's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
2. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
3. How far is Vernon willing to go to ruin Julian's life?
4. Describe Molly's character.
5. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
6. How does the theme of revenge tie into the plot in Chapter Two?
7. Describe George's character.
8. Do Clive and Vernon share the same level of dislike for Julian?
9. How does George get the photos?
10. What chance of a lifetime does Clive get?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the parallels between the lives of Clive and Vernon? Discuss other parallels that occur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How is the novel Amsterdam controversial? How do you think society views this book? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson about euthanasia? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze any of the two of the characters and their relationship throughout the novel. What motivates them? How are they connected? What are their goals? Do their lives have any parallels?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)