|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does The Judge often feature articles about Julian?
2. What kind of relationship do Clive and Vernon have initially?
3. Who does The Judge often criticize?
4. Why does George take care of Molly in her final days?
5. Who are the photos copyrighted to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the article about euthanasia that is featured in The Judge.
2. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
3. Describe George and Molly's relationship.
4. What chance of a lifetime does Clive get?
5. Paired with another symbol from the novel, the article about euthanasia foreshadows a future event. What is this event, and what is the other symbol?
6. Why does Clive want to go to the Lake District?
7. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
8. How far is Vernon willing to go to ruin Julian's life?
9. How are George, Clive, Vernon, and Julian connected?
10. Describe Vernon's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Vernon's fortune reverses. Does Clive's fortune take a similar negative spiral? What about George and Julian? Cite at least three sources.
Essay Topic 2
How is the novel Amsterdam controversial? How do you think society views this book? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson about euthanasia? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a protagonist in Amsterdam? Why or why not? Is there an antagonist in the novel? Why or why not? What is significant about the protagonist and antagonist roles in the novel?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)