|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the photos copyrighted to?
2. Who do the photos belong to?
3. In what month is Molly's funeral?
4. What is Clive's last name?
5. What character gets the most attention in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
2. Why does George care for Molly when her health deteriorates?
3. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
4. Describe George and Molly's relationship.
5. Why is Molly's death humiliating in Clive's eyes?
6. Describe Molly's character.
7. How does the theme of revenge tie into the plot in Chapter Two?
8. Describe George's character.
9. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
10. How does Vernon plan to use the photos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Vernon's fortune reverses. Does Clive's fortune take a similar negative spiral? What about George and Julian? Cite at least three sources.
Essay Topic 2
How is the novel Amsterdam controversial? How do you think society views this book? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson about euthanasia? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)