Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the focus of Chapter Two?
2. In which order does Vernon receive calls while he is at work in Chapter Two?
3. Who is most motivated to post the photos in The Judge?
4. Where is euthanasia currently being abused?
5. Why is George vengeful toward the other men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
2. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
3. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
4. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
5. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
6. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
7. Describe the article about euthanasia that is featured in The Judge.
8. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
9. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
10. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
Essay Topic 1
Is there a protagonist in Amsterdam? Why or why not? Is there an antagonist in the novel? Why or why not? What is significant about the protagonist and antagonist roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)