|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernon's last name?
2. In what ways does Vernon hope to ruin Julian's life?
3. How quickly does Molly's health deteriorate?
4. While Vernon is in a meeting at the beginning of Chapter Two who calls urgently?
5. What is Vernon's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
2. Describe Molly's character.
3. How does Vernon plan to use the photos?
4. What chance of a lifetime does Clive get?
5. How does George get the photos?
6. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
7. Describe Julian's character.
8. What is ironic about Julian's career potentially being ruined by the photos being published in The Judge?
9. Describe Vernon's character.
10. Why does Clive want to go to the Lake District?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze any of the two of the characters and their relationship throughout the novel. What motivates them? How are they connected? What are their goals? Do their lives have any parallels?
Essay Topic 2
How is the novel Amsterdam controversial? How do you think society views this book? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson about euthanasia? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)