|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vernon claim he can't meet with Clive in Chapter Two?
2. What type of story is featured in The Judge the day of Vernon's first meeting in the novel?
3. What is Vernon's last name?
4. Why does George want revenge on Julian?
5. What is the first setting in Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Julian's character.
2. Describe George's character.
3. Why does George give Vernon the photos of Julian?
4. Describe Molly's character.
5. Describe Vernon's character.
6. Why does George care for Molly when her health deteriorates?
7. How does George get the photos?
8. Why does Clive want to go to the Lake District?
9. Describe Clive's character.
10. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is the ending of the novel realistic? If so, can you see why others might not think so? If you think it's unrealistic, why? What changes to make the ending more realistic?
Essay Topic 3
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)