|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of note does Vernon leave for Clive?
2. In what month is Molly's funeral?
3. What is Clive's occupation?
4. How does Vernon deny Julian a place of importance?
5. What is Vernon's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vernon's character.
2. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
3. Describe George and Molly's relationship.
4. Describe Julian's character.
5. How does Vernon plan to use the photos?
6. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
7. Why does George care for Molly when her health deteriorates?
8. Why does George give Vernon the photos of Julian?
9. What is ironic about Julian's career potentially being ruined by the photos being published in The Judge?
10. How does the theme of revenge tie into the plot in Chapter Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the climax, introduction, resolution, and rising action in the novel. Use at least four quotes from the novel, and your reasoning behind your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Clive lose his moral authority over Vernon? What else does this undermine? Does this change your opinion of his character? Are any of the characters more virtuous than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At what point does the relationship between Vernon and Clive begin to deteriorate? Why? Track the status of their relationship using evidence from the novel.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)