|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who despises Julian?
2. What does Vernon hope that publishing the photos does?
3. How does Molly die?
4. What does Vernon's urgent caller promise?
5. Where does Vernon visit Clive in Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of revenge tie into the plot in Chapter Two?
2. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
3. Why does George care for Molly when her health deteriorates?
4. Why is Molly's death humiliating in Clive's eyes?
5. How is Vernon unethical?
6. Is one of the men more morally right than the other?
7. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
8. How does Vernon plan to use the photos?
9. Why does Clive oppose Vernon's plan to post the pictures?
10. Why doesn't Clive finish his symphony?
Essay Topic 1
Determine the climax, introduction, resolution, and rising action in the novel. Use at least four quotes from the novel, and your reasoning behind your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)