Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which order does Vernon receive calls while he is at work in Chapter Two?
2. How quickly does Molly's health deteriorate?
3. What is Vernon's reaction to Clive's proposal?
4. Why is Molly's death undignified?
5. What is Vernon willing to use as a tool against Julian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Clive believe he plays in his relationship with Vernon? What role does Vernon play in the relationship, according to Clive?
2. Describe Vernon's hallucination.
3. How far is Vernon willing to go to ruin Julian's life?
4. How does Clive respond to the fact that Vernon resigns from his position at The Judge?
5. What conclusions does Clive come to about his relationship with Vernon?
6. Why does Clive confess that he sees a violent attack to Vernon?
7. Describe Molly's character.
8. Describe George's character.
9. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
10. Is Vernon really a victim? If so, what is he a victim of?
Describe the way in which Vernon's fortune reverses. Does Clive's fortune take a similar negative spiral? What about George and Julian? Cite at least three sources.
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)