|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Clive want to be euthanized?
2. What type of story is featured in The Judge the day of Vernon's first meeting in the novel?
3. What does Vernon's urgent caller promise?
4. How does Vernon deny Julian a place of importance?
5. Why is Molly's death undignified?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clive want to go to the Lake District?
2. What is ironic about Julian's career potentially being ruined by the photos being published in The Judge?
3. Describe Clive's character.
4. How does George get the photos?
5. Why does George give Vernon the photos of Julian?
6. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
7. Describe George's character.
8. Describe Vernon's character.
9. Why is Molly's death humiliating in Clive's eyes?
10. Describe Molly's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though revenge is a key theme of the novel, there are others as well. What are three other themes or symbols in the novel? How do they contribute to the novel's plot? What is the significance of including these symbols in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is the novel Amsterdam controversial? How do you think society views this book? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson about euthanasia? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Is the ending of the novel realistic? If so, can you see why others might not think so? If you think it's unrealistic, why? What changes to make the ending more realistic?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)