|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernon's occupation?
2. What is the first setting in Chapter Two?
3. Where does Clive want to go for inspiration?
4. In what ways does Vernon hope to ruin Julian's life?
5. Who do the photos belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Julian's career potentially being ruined by the photos being published in The Judge?
2. Describe George and Molly's relationship.
3. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
4. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
5. Describe Molly's character.
6. How does the theme of revenge tie into the plot in Chapter Two?
7. Do Clive and Vernon share the same level of dislike for Julian?
8. How does George get the photos?
9. Why does George give Vernon the photos of Julian?
10. Why is Molly's death humiliating in Clive's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the climax, introduction, resolution, and rising action in the novel. Use at least four quotes from the novel, and your reasoning behind your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
How far does each character go in serving their own interests? Does each character get away with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the novel Amsterdam controversial? How do you think society views this book? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson about euthanasia? Why or why not?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)