|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political affiliation do the characters have?
2. Who is most motivated to post the photos in The Judge?
3. What kind of reputation does Julian have?
4. What does Clive want to accomplish in finishing his project?
5. Which characters share a motive for revenge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the photos that Vernon has of Julian.
2. How does Clive respond to the fact that Vernon resigns from his position at The Judge?
3. Why doesn't Clive finish his symphony?
4. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
5. What choice does Clive make on his hiking trip?
6. Describe Clive's hallucination.
7. Describe Molly's character.
8. What does Clive feel makes him feel better about his symphony?
9. Describe the flashback in Chapter Five.
10. What causes Vernon to conceive a plan to euthanize Clive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze any of the two of the characters and their relationship throughout the novel. What motivates them? How are they connected? What are their goals? Do their lives have any parallels?
Essay Topic 3
Determine the climax, introduction, resolution, and rising action in the novel. Use at least four quotes from the novel, and your reasoning behind your opinions.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)