Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the focus of Chapter Two?
2. In which order does Vernon receive calls while he is at work in Chapter Two?
3. Who is most motivated to post the photos in The Judge?
4. Where is euthanasia currently being abused?
5. Why is George vengeful toward the other men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
2. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
3. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
4. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
5. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
6. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
7. Describe the article about euthanasia that is featured in The Judge.
8. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
9. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
10. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
Essay Topic 1
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Determine the climax, introduction, resolution, and rising action in the novel. Use at least four quotes from the novel, and your reasoning behind your opinions.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)