|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Vernon is in a meeting at the beginning of Chapter Two who calls urgently?
2. Why is Molly's death undignified?
3. How does Molly die?
4. What type of personality is George known to have?
5. In what month is Molly's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Molly's death humiliating in Clive's eyes?
2. Describe Clive's character.
3. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
4. How does George get the photos?
5. Describe Julian's character.
6. Why does George care for Molly when her health deteriorates?
7. Do Clive and Vernon share the same level of dislike for Julian?
8. Why does George give Vernon the photos of Julian?
9. Describe George's character.
10. How are George, Clive, Vernon, and Julian connected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a protagonist in Amsterdam? Why or why not? Is there an antagonist in the novel? Why or why not? What is significant about the protagonist and antagonist roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Determine the climax, introduction, resolution, and rising action in the novel. Use at least four quotes from the novel, and your reasoning behind your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)