|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of story is featured in The Judge the day of Vernon's first meeting in the novel?
2. Why is Julian disliked by other characters?
3. What relationship is George to Molly?
4. In which order does Vernon receive calls while he is at work in Chapter Two?
5. While Vernon is in a meeting at the beginning of Chapter Two who calls urgently?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clive want to go to the Lake District?
2. How far is Vernon willing to go to ruin Julian's life?
3. Describe Vernon's character.
4. How does Vernon plan to use the photos?
5. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
6. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
7. Describe George's character.
8. Describe George and Molly's relationship.
9. Do Clive and Vernon share the same level of dislike for Julian?
10. How does the theme of revenge tie into the plot in Chapter Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ian McEwan use flashbacks in Amsterdam? Are they effective in moving the story along or do they hinder its development? Why are the flashbacks important to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the foreshadowing that occurs throughout the novel. What predictions do you make based on foreshadowing? Are your predictions correct? Cite at least three quotes from the novel.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)