Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the focus of Chapter Two?
2. In which order does Vernon receive calls while he is at work in Chapter Two?
3. Who is most motivated to post the photos in The Judge?
4. Where is euthanasia currently being abused?
5. Why is George vengeful toward the other men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
2. Why doesn't Clive contact the police about what he witnesses at the hiking trail?
3. Does Vernon consider the consequences of posting the photos of Julian?
4. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
5. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
6. Why does Rose Garmony reveal the pictures of her husband?
7. Describe the article about euthanasia that is featured in The Judge.
8. How does Clive undermine his moral authority?
9. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
10. What is Vernon's plan for the photos of Julian?
Essay Topic 1
Is there a protagonist in Amsterdam? Why or why not? Is there an antagonist in the novel? Why or why not? What is significant about the protagonist and antagonist roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Is the ending of the novel realistic? If so, can you see why others might not think so? If you think it's unrealistic, why? What changes to make the ending more realistic?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ian McEwan use flashbacks in Amsterdam? Are they effective in moving the story along or do they hinder its development? Why are the flashbacks important to the novel?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)