|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of story is featured in The Judge the day of Vernon's first meeting in the novel?
2. What is Clive's occupation?
3. How quickly does Molly's health deteriorate?
4. What does Vernon receive in Chapter Two at work?
5. What is foreshadowed in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Julian's career potentially being ruined by the photos being published in The Judge?
2. Do Clive and Vernon share the same level of dislike for Julian?
3. What causes Vernon to feel betrayed and mistreated by Clive?
4. How are George, Clive, Vernon, and Julian connected?
5. What affect does the revealed photo have on Julian Garmony's career?
6. What choice does Clive make on his hiking trip?
7. How does George get the photos?
8. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
9. What is Frank's role in Vernon's resignation?
10. What does Clive think of his finished symphony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ian McEwan use flashbacks in Amsterdam? Are they effective in moving the story along or do they hinder its development? Why are the flashbacks important to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Is there a protagonist in Amsterdam? Why or why not? Is there an antagonist in the novel? Why or why not? What is significant about the protagonist and antagonist roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)