|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Clive stay up working after Molly's funeral?
2. What is Julian's occupation?
3. What is Clive's occupation?
4. Where does The Judge often feature articles about Julian?
5. What is foreshadowed in the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
2. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
3. What chance of a lifetime does Clive get?
4. How does George get the photos?
5. Describe Clive's character.
6. Describe Vernon's character.
7. Describe the article about euthanasia that is featured in The Judge.
8. Why does George care for Molly when her health deteriorates?
9. Paired with another symbol from the novel, the article about euthanasia foreshadows a future event. What is this event, and what is the other symbol?
10. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What character is the focal point of each chapter? What do you think Ian McEwan hopes to accomplish in focusing on characters on a chapter-by-chapter basis? What kind of effect does this have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the parallels between the lives of Clive and Vernon? Discuss other parallels that occur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)