|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of person is Molly?
2. Why is Molly's death undignified?
3. What is foreshadowed in the first chapter?
4. What does Vernon hope that publishing the photos does?
5. Where does The Judge often feature articles about Julian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vernon's character.
2. How far is Vernon willing to go to ruin Julian's life?
3. Describe Clive's character.
4. How does Vernon plan to use the photos?
5. Why is Molly's death humiliating in Clive's eyes?
6. How are George, Clive, Vernon, and Julian connected?
7. What chance of a lifetime does Clive get?
8. Describe Julian's character.
9. What is ironic about Julian's career potentially being ruined by the photos being published in The Judge?
10. Describe George and Molly's relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first chapter introduces all the major characters in the novel. What are your first impressions of George, Vernon, Clive, and Julian? Are these impressions correct as you read more of the novel? Is the first chapter effective in introducing the characters accurately? Are the characters in the novel generally likable or unlikable? Cite at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
How does Ian McEwan use flashbacks in Amsterdam? Are they effective in moving the story along or do they hinder its development? Why are the flashbacks important to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)