|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernon's occupation?
2. What type of euthanasia laws are there in the Netherlands?
3. Which characters share a motive for revenge?
4. What kind of marriage does Molly and her husband have?
5. Why is Julian disliked by other characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
2. Describe Vernon's character.
3. How does the theme of revenge tie into the plot in Chapter Two?
4. How does the novel foreshadow a deteriorating relationship between Clive and Vernon?
5. Describe George and Molly's relationship.
6. Describe Molly's character.
7. What is ironic about Julian's career potentially being ruined by the photos being published in The Judge?
8. Do Clive and Vernon share the same level of dislike for Julian?
9. Why is Molly's death humiliating in Clive's eyes?
10. Why does George give Vernon the photos of Julian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How far does each character go in serving their own interests? Does each character get away with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Though revenge is a key theme of the novel, there are others as well. What are three other themes or symbols in the novel? How do they contribute to the novel's plot? What is the significance of including these symbols in the novel?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)