|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Clive stay up working after Molly's funeral?
2. What type of euthanasia laws are there in the Netherlands?
3. What kind of marriage does Molly and her husband have?
4. What is Clive's last name?
5. What is Vernon's reaction to Clive's proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does George have ulterior motives in giving Vernon the photos to publish of Julian?
2. Why does George give Vernon the photos of Julian?
3. Describe George's character.
4. Do Clive and Vernon share the same level of dislike for Julian?
5. Describe Molly's character.
6. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
7. Describe Clive's character.
8. Why is Molly's death humiliating in Clive's eyes?
9. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
10. Describe the article about euthanasia that is featured in The Judge.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ian McEwan use flashbacks in Amsterdam? Are they effective in moving the story along or do they hinder its development? Why are the flashbacks important to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the parallels between the lives of Clive and Vernon? Discuss other parallels that occur throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How far does each character go in serving their own interests? Does each character get away with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)