|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernon's last name?
2. What is Molly's occupation?
3. What is Clive's occupation?
4. What political affiliation do the characters have?
5. What is Vernon's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Molly's character.
2. What is the relationship like between Clive and Vernon in Chapter Two?
3. Why does Molly's funeral inspire Clive?
4. Describe Clive's character.
5. Describe the article about euthanasia that is featured in The Judge.
6. Describe George and Molly's relationship.
7. Describe Julian's character.
8. How does Vernon plan to use the photos?
9. Describe Vernon's character.
10. Why does George give Vernon the photos of Julian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though revenge is a key theme of the novel, there are others as well. What are three other themes or symbols in the novel? How do they contribute to the novel's plot? What is the significance of including these symbols in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
At what point does the relationship between Vernon and Clive begin to deteriorate? Why? Track the status of their relationship using evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Is there a moral in Amsterdam? Is Ian McEwan trying to teach a lesson through his work? Why or why not?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)