|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clive going to hike later than he originally wants?
(a) The train is delayed.
(b) He meets with Vernon.
(c) He gets into a car accident.
(d) He meets with George.
2. What does Clive choose to do when he sees the argument?
(a) He ignores it and keeps working.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He runs away because he is scared.
(d) He goes over to stop them but gets caught in the middle of it.
3. What is Vernon's complaint to Clive?
(a) A co-worker is giving Vernon a hard time.
(b) Julian threatens Vernon.
(c) Julian knows Vernon has pictures of him.
(d) Vernon's staff is against him.
4. When Vernon meets with his newspaper staff for the first time in Chapter Four, what happens?
(a) Vernon's staff ignores him because they no longer respect him.
(b) Vernon accepts accolades for his work.
(c) Vernon is swamped with phone calls about the publishing of Julian's photos.
(d) Vernon's staff yells at him for his disappointing work.
5. In Chapter Three, who does Clive get an urgent call from?
(a) A musician.
6. Which word best describes Clive in Chapter Four?
7. How does Clive see Vernon after his hiking trip?
8. How long does Julian's wife claim to know about his sexual proclivities?
(a) Since she saw the photos for the first time.
(b) Since they began dating.
(c) Since the beginning of their marriage.
(d) For the last year.
9. What right does Vernon deny Julian by publishing his photos?
(a) The right not to be humiliated.
(b) The legal right to own copyright of the pictures.
(c) The right to public office.
(d) The right to sexual expression in private.
10. According to Vernon, why does Clive contact the authorities?
(a) His sketch is turned into the police.
(b) He is witnessed in the area and needs to clear his name.
(c) Clive personally knows the rapist.
(d) It's his moral duty.
11. When does Vernon notice that he has a new purpose in life?
(a) The day after Julian's photos are published.
(b) The day after he argues with Clive.
(c) The day he finds out that Clive witnesses a violent argument.
(d) The day before publication of Julian's photos.
12. What does Clive confess to Vernon on the phone?
(a) That he never really cares for Molly.
(b) That he doesn't think The Judge is reputable.
(c) That he really does think Vernon should post the photos.
(d) That he witnesses violence while hiking.
13. What do both Clive and Vernon fail to see?
(a) Their own moral shortcomings.
(b) Julian's alliance with George.
(c) George's vengefulness.
(d) Why Vernon's staff is so fickle.
14. Where are the photos of Julian displayed in The Judge?
(a) The front page.
(b) The last page.
(c) The celebrity news section.
(d) The politics section.
15. Why doesn't Clive want to tell the police what he sees?
(a) It interferes with his work.
(b) He is afraid he is accused of the crime.
(c) He is afraid he is attacked.
(d) He believes he witnesses nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive prepare for when he returns after hiking?
2. What does Vernon look like when Clive sees him for the first time after Vernon receives the pictures.
3. What is Clive doing when he sees an argument occur?
4. What is believed to be the cause of problems between Vernon and Clive?
5. What enables Vernon to be able to publish the photos in Chapter Three?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)