|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other story runs in the newspaper with the photos of Julian?
(a) Clive is profiled as a famous composer.
(b) The Prime Minister is elected.
(c) The Lakeland rapist attacks a woman.
(d) The medical scandal in The Netherlands continues.
2. By publishing the pictures, who does Vernon betray?
3. What is Vernon's initial response to Clive's confession?
(a) He wants to meet in person to discuss it.
(b) He is elated.
(c) He is only half-listening.
(d) He is outraged.
4. Who does Chapter Three focus on?
5. Where does Clive go after his hiking trip?
(a) His hotel.
(b) Lake District.
6. Why does Vernon call Clive in Chapter Four?
(a) To tell him he's publishing the photos.
(b) To tell him to call the police.
(c) To reconcile.
(d) To continue the argument.
7. In Clive's opinion, what does Vernon lack?
(a) Writing skills.
(c) Moral principle.
(d) A friendly personality.
8. What type of worker is Frank?
9. What does Julian's wife unveil to the media?
(a) Scandalous photos of Vernon.
(b) The photos of Julian that are going to be published.
(c) Pictures of Julian that Vernon never sees before.
(d) Scandalous photos of Molly.
10. What is the main setting of Chapter Three?
(a) Holland Park.
(c) Lake District.
11. What is Vernon afraid of?
(a) That Julian has a successful bid to become prime minister.
(b) That is staff is conspiring against him.
(c) That George is out for revenge on Vernon and Clive as well as Julian.
(d) That Molly leaves nothing for him in her will.
12. When does Vernon notice that he has a new purpose in life?
(a) The day after Julian's photos are published.
(b) The day after he argues with Clive.
(c) The day he finds out that Clive witnesses a violent argument.
(d) The day before publication of Julian's photos.
13. What is Frank's role at The Judge?
(a) Political editor.
(b) Foreign deputy editor.
(c) Senior editor.
(d) Foreign duty reporter.
14. Which word best defines Vernon's staff at The Judge in Chapter Four?
15. What is believed to be the cause of problems between Vernon and Clive?
(a) The pact is too stressful to keep.
(b) Molly's death affects them both.
(c) Julian has put a wedge between them.
(d) Their relationship is lopsided.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Vernon's new purpose in life?
2. When do Clive and Vernon have an argument?
3. What does Julian's wife compare the person she denounces to?
4. What is Frank's last name?
5. When Vernon realizes that Clive witnesses the attack, what does he do?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)