|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clive doing when he sees an argument occur?
(a) Watching birds.
(b) Writing notes for the introduction.
(c) Writing notes for the finale.
(d) Taking notes for a novel.
2. What role does Clive believe he plays?
3. What is Vernon's complaint to Clive?
(a) A co-worker is giving Vernon a hard time.
(b) Julian threatens Vernon.
(c) Vernon's staff is against him.
(d) Julian knows Vernon has pictures of him.
4. What is Frank's role at The Judge?
(a) Senior editor.
(b) Foreign deputy editor.
(c) Political editor.
(d) Foreign duty reporter.
5. In Clive's opinion, what does Vernon lack?
(b) A friendly personality.
(c) Moral principle.
(d) Writing skills.
6. What is Vernon's new purpose in life?
(a) To ruin Clive's life.
(b) To ruin Julian's life.
(c) To increase circulation for The Judge.
(d) To make Molly's memory count for something.
7. How does Clive feel about ignoring the argument?
8. Who does Clive see arguing when he is hiking?
(a) A man and a woman.
(b) Two men.
(c) A group of men and one woman.
(d) Two women.
9. What does Clive think about on his way to Penrith?
(a) His affair with Molly.
(b) His relationship with Vernon.
(c) The symphony he is working on.
(d) Getting revenge on Julian.
10. What other story runs in the newspaper with the photos of Julian?
(a) The Prime Minister is elected.
(b) The medical scandal in The Netherlands continues.
(c) The Lakeland rapist attacks a woman.
(d) Clive is profiled as a famous composer.
11. What is the main setting of Chapter Three?
(a) Holland Park.
(b) Lake District.
12. What happens to Vernon's job at The Judge?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is banned from the office.
(c) He is demoted.
(d) He is simply reprimanded.
13. When does Vernon notice that he has a new purpose in life?
(a) The day he finds out that Clive witnesses a violent argument.
(b) The day before publication of Julian's photos.
(c) The day after Julian's photos are published.
(d) The day after he argues with Clive.
14. What is Vernon afraid of?
(a) That is staff is conspiring against him.
(b) That George is out for revenge on Vernon and Clive as well as Julian.
(c) That Molly leaves nothing for him in her will.
(d) That Julian has a successful bid to become prime minister.
15. What right does Vernon deny Julian by publishing his photos?
(a) The legal right to own copyright of the pictures.
(b) The right not to be humiliated.
(c) The right to sexual expression in private.
(d) The right to public office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Vernon angry at his staff?
2. What does Vernon want Clive to do?
3. Which pair of characters disagrees about publishing photos of Julian in The Judge?
4. What does Julian's outing do for his career?
5. What does Vernon criticize in Chapter Four?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)