|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man that steps forward to take responsibility for overthrowing the Population Police in Chapter 23?
2. In Chapter 22, Luke changes into a long sleeve shirt that does not have what on it?
3. How many horses does Luke see to feed and tend in Chapter 21?
4. What does Luke make for his breakfast in Chapter 22?
5. In Chapter 28, Luke heads to the dining room to get something to eat when he sees what hanging from the stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke discover about the relationship between Aldous and Oscar in Chapter 26?
2. What fears and internal conflicts does the protagonist face in Chapter 19? Why?
3. How does the author describe the scene at the Population Police Headquarters in Chapter 20?
4. What are the principal fears faced by Luke in Chapter 22? What propels him to overcome his fears?
5. Why does Luke struggle with his identity in Chapter 20?
6. Who comes to join Luke in tearing down the signs in Chapter 33? What signs of hope does Luke point out?
7. How is the dichotomy of Oscar illustrated in Chapter 25? What is foreshadowed in the chapter?
8. Who cries out from the crowd to defend Luke in Chapter 32? What does she suggest?
9. Who does Luke recognize being interviewed on the news in Chapter 23? Where does he know this person from?
10. What does Luke do in the horse stables in Chapter 21? What interaction does he have with Jenny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of freedom in the novel. What does freedom mean to Luke? What does it mean to the villagers? What internal conflicts does Luke face in Chapter 20 in regards to freedom and its meaning? How has Luke's vision of freedom changed by the end of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the plot structure of the novel. In a traditional plot structure, what precedes the rising action? Is this the case in Among the Free? Where is the rising action? How do we know where the rising action occurs? Where is the climax, and what is revealed in the denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the characters of Eli and Adriana in the novel. How old is the couple? How is their home described? How do Eli and his wife help Luke achieve his objectives? What do they sacrifice? Why?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)