|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Luke wear to dinner nightly when he lived with the family after leaving his parents' farm?
2. What refers to the state of having or showing a lack of experience, understanding or sophistication?
3. What objects are in the secret room of the Population Police Headquarters with themes speaking against third children?
4. In Chapter 22, Luke wakes up and uses what to clean his hands, face and hair?
5. In Chapter 22, Luke goes into the kitchen to see if what friend is there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Oscar and the boy from Chiutza similar? How is this illustrated in Chapter 29?
2. What does Luke discover in the records room at the Population Police Headquarters in Chapter 24?
3. How is the scene of departure in Don's truck described in Chapter 19?
4. What do the horse stables represent to Luke? How is this explored in Chapter 21?
5. What does Luke overhear while in hiding in Chapter 25?
6. What is Luke's mindset when he returns to the stables in Chapter 30? Why?
7. What actions does the protagonist take in the climax of the narrative in Chapter 31?
8. What are the principal fears faced by Luke in Chapter 22? What propels him to overcome his fears?
9. What moral message does Luke realize in the denouement of the narrative in Chapter 33?
10. What role does Jenny play in Luke's plan in Chapter 30? What is foreshadowed in the end of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Ricky and Don Everts and the overthrow of the Population Police in the novel. How does the population respond to the news of the political overthrow? Where does Luke meet Ricky and what news does he relate to Luke?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Luke's history with the Grant family. What caused the Grant family's home to be transformed into the Population Police Headquarters? Where are the Grants now in the novel? What does Luke discover in the former Grant home in Chapter 24? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Jen in the narrative. What led to Jen's death? What was her relationship with Luke? How does Jen act as a catalyst for Luke's actions in Chapters 5 and 6? How does she propel his actions in the ending of the novel?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)