|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Luke's attention to the unlatched door in Chapter 30?
2. What refers to an extended period of months or years when a region notes a deficiency in its water supply whether surface or underground water?
3. In Chapter 24, Luke remembers when he first came to the building that is Population Police Headquarters, it was the home of whom?
4. In Chapter 22, Luke goes into the kitchen to see if what friend is there?
5. Two of the major events that led to the governmental overthrow were events Luke was involved in. What was the second?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by the change in the weather in Chapter 22?
2. What symbolism does the author employ in Chapter 32? What fears does Luke face?
3. Who does Luke recognize on the stage giving testimony in Chapter 27?
4. What symbolism is used to illustrate the power of the Population Police and obstacles to Luke in Chapter 28?
5. What actions does the protagonist take in the climax of the narrative in Chapter 31?
6. How is the dichotomy of Oscar illustrated in Chapter 25? What is foreshadowed in the chapter?
7. What does Luke discover about the relationship between Aldous and Oscar in Chapter 26?
8. How are Oscar and the boy from Chiutza similar? How is this illustrated in Chapter 29?
9. What moral message does Luke realize in the denouement of the narrative in Chapter 33?
10. What does Luke do in the horse stables in Chapter 21? What interaction does he have with Jenny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of the boy in Chiutza. How old is the boy in relation to Luke? Where does Luke first meet the boy? What are his impressions of him? How do these impressions change in the course of the narrative? What dangers does the boy present to the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Aldous Krakenaur in the narrative. How is Aldous Krakenaur depicted by the author? How is he regarded by Luke? What power does Luke realize Aldous Krakenaur still has in Chapter 26? What happens to Krakenaur at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of freedom in the novel. What does freedom mean to Luke? What does it mean to the villagers? What internal conflicts does Luke face in Chapter 20 in regards to freedom and its meaning? How has Luke's vision of freedom changed by the end of the narrative?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)