|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have the people been speaking for the Population Police and against third children in Chapter 31?
2. In Chapter 31, Luke rides what horse to the stage?
3. Luke declares publicly that he is what in Chapter 31?
4. Who stands to protect Luke as he stands on stage in Chapter 32?
5. In Chapter 27, Luke sits where watching the newscaster on stage interviewing people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke attempt to convince himself in Chapter 26? What lends doubt to this thought?
2. What does Luke do in the horse stables in Chapter 21? What interaction does he have with Jenny?
3. Who cries out from the crowd to defend Luke in Chapter 32? What does she suggest?
4. Who does Luke recognize being interviewed on the news in Chapter 23? Where does he know this person from?
5. What role does Jenny play in Luke's plan in Chapter 30? What is foreshadowed in the end of this chapter?
6. What actions does the protagonist take in the climax of the narrative in Chapter 31?
7. What symbolism is used to illustrate the power of the Population Police and obstacles to Luke in Chapter 28?
8. What fears and internal conflicts does the protagonist face in Chapter 19? Why?
9. Who comes to join Luke in tearing down the signs in Chapter 33? What signs of hope does Luke point out?
10. How is the dichotomy of Oscar illustrated in Chapter 25? What is foreshadowed in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Jen in the narrative. What led to Jen's death? What was her relationship with Luke? How does Jen act as a catalyst for Luke's actions in Chapters 5 and 6? How does she propel his actions in the ending of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the themes of poverty and hunger in the novel. How are these themes embodied in the villagers that Luke meets? Also discuss the death of the truck driver in Chapter 12. What internal conflict plagues Luke regarding the death of the truck driver? How does this relate to the theme of hunger?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Luke's relationship with Jenny and the setting of the stables in the novel. What do the stables mean to Luke and why does he go there in Chapter 21? How does Jenny symbolically relate to Luke? How does she help him in his mission?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)