|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friends show up to help Luke in Chapter 33?
2. In Chapter 22, Luke goes into the kitchen to see if what friend is there?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 29, Luke flees to what location?
4. What does Luke cover his face with as he rides a horse to the stage in Chapter 31?
5. Who brings Luke's attention to the unlatched door in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the horse stables represent to Luke? How is this explored in Chapter 21?
2. What symbolism does the author employ in Chapter 32? What fears does Luke face?
3. What does Luke discover in the records room at the Population Police Headquarters in Chapter 24?
4. What does Luke attempt to convince himself in Chapter 26? What lends doubt to this thought?
5. How are Oscar and the boy from Chiutza similar? How is this illustrated in Chapter 29?
6. What role does Jenny play in Luke's plan in Chapter 30? What is foreshadowed in the end of this chapter?
7. What actions does the protagonist take in the climax of the narrative in Chapter 31?
8. What does Luke initially do in order to try to sway the public in Chapter 29? Why?
9. What is symbolized by the change in the weather in Chapter 22?
10. What symbolism is used to illustrate the power of the Population Police and obstacles to Luke in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of governmental overthrow in the narrative. How is this theme illustrated through symbolism? What does this theme make you think of in contemporary global events? How does it relate to our world today?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of oppression in the novel. How have the villagers been oppressed by the Population Police in Chapter 15? What is symbolic about the celebration meal eaten by Luke and the villagers? How does this represent oppression?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the theme of freedom in the novel. What does freedom mean to Luke? What does it mean to the villagers? What internal conflicts does Luke face in Chapter 20 in regards to freedom and its meaning? How has Luke's vision of freedom changed by the end of the narrative?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)