|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Eli's daughter in the novel?
2. In Chapter 12, Luke hides as what approaches?
3. What refers to an object, thing, action or situation that causes an obstruction?
4. In fiction, what refers to the manner in which the author tells the story?
5. With whom did Luke run away and obtain a fake I.D. in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the boy take Luke in Chapter 18? What news does Luke discover?
2. How do the villagers effectively protect the protagonist in Chapter 14?
3. What exchange does Luke overhear while hiding in Chapter 12?
4. How does Luke perceive Eli and the other villagers in Chapter 16? How does his perception change in the chapter?
5. What does Luke dream about in Chapter 11? Where does he go the following morning?
6. Who do the voices turn out to be that Luke hers in the beginning of Chapter 13? How does he escape?
7. What past plan does Luke recall with Nina in Chapter 3?
8. Where does Luke go after escaping danger in Chapter 10? Where does he find shelter?
9. What is established in the setting of the novel in Chapter 1? How is the government set up?
10. What risks does Luke take with the boy he meets in Chapter 8? How can they help one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Luke's history with the Grant family. What caused the Grant family's home to be transformed into the Population Police Headquarters? Where are the Grants now in the novel? What does Luke discover in the former Grant home in Chapter 24? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the characters of Eli and Adriana in the novel. How old is the couple? How is their home described? How do Eli and his wife help Luke achieve his objectives? What do they sacrifice? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Philip Twinings in the novel. What caused Twinings to go into hiding and what is represented by his reporting the news in Chapter 19? How does the news related by Twinings on the radio in Chapter 19 relate to Luke?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)