|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose voice does Luke hear calling to him to get up and do something in Chapter 11?
2. What does Luke eat with the boy from Chapter 7?
3. What does Luke have nightmares about as he sleeps in Chapter 11?
4. The villagers who help Luke when he escapes the Population Police in Chapter 13 ask if he is wearing what?
5. In Chapter 1, Luke and the other boys are undergoing their daily inspection of their uniforms and hygiene at what time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the villagers who saved Luke tell him about their past with the Population Police in Chapter 15?
2. What does Eli give to Luke in Chapter 16? Who does Luke see approaching the village in this chapter?
3. Who do the voices turn out to be that Luke hers in the beginning of Chapter 13? How does he escape?
4. What past plan does Luke recall with Nina in Chapter 3?
5. What internal conflicts plague the protagonist after his escape in Chapter 10?
6. Where does the boy take Luke in Chapter 18? What news does Luke discover?
7. What does the boy in Chapter 8 tell Luke happened after he escaped from Officer Houk?
8. How do the villagers effectively protect the protagonist in Chapter 14?
9. What is established in the setting of the novel in Chapter 1? How is the government set up?
10. What internal struggle does the protagonist face regarding the change in power in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the themes of poverty and hunger in the novel. How are these themes embodied in the villagers that Luke meets? Also discuss the death of the truck driver in Chapter 12. What internal conflict plagues Luke regarding the death of the truck driver? How does this relate to the theme of hunger?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of freedom in the novel. What does freedom mean to Luke? What does it mean to the villagers? What internal conflicts does Luke face in Chapter 20 in regards to freedom and its meaning? How has Luke's vision of freedom changed by the end of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify conflict, obstacle and objective in the narrative. What is Luke's ultimate objective in the narrative? What is the ultimate objective of the boy from Chiutza? What conflicts and obstacles are faced by the protagonist in Chapter 9? What causes Luke to call out to save the boy in this chapter?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)