|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves the boy in Chapter 9 from the villagers?
2. When the boy in Chapter 18 realizes Luke does not know what's going on, he takes him to a house where people are doing what?
3. What does Luke find to eat from in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 8, the boy explains to Luke that when he came around the corner to get a new street assignment from Officer Hook, he saw who holding a gun?
5. In Chapter 17, a hand clamps down on Luke's wrists and a voice asks him why he isn't doing what like everyone else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy in Chapter 8 tell Luke happened after he escaped from Officer Houk?
2. What thoughts consume the protagonist after his escape from the villagers in Chapter 9?
3. What do the villagers who saved Luke tell him about their past with the Population Police in Chapter 15?
4. Who does Luke believe may be calling out to him in Chapter 17? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
5. What exchange does Luke overhear while hiding in Chapter 12?
6. What is established in the setting of the novel in Chapter 1? How is the government set up?
7. How does Luke perceive Eli and the other villagers in Chapter 16? How does his perception change in the chapter?
8. What character is revisited by the protagonist in Chapter 7? Where does this character take Luke?
9. What does Eli give to Luke in Chapter 16? Who does Luke see approaching the village in this chapter?
10. What past plan does Luke recall with Nina in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of oppression in the novel. How have the villagers been oppressed by the Population Police in Chapter 15? What is symbolic about the celebration meal eaten by Luke and the villagers? How does this represent oppression?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the characters of Eli and Adriana in the novel. How old is the couple? How is their home described? How do Eli and his wife help Luke achieve his objectives? What do they sacrifice? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Aldous Krakenaur in the narrative. How is Aldous Krakenaur depicted by the author? How is he regarded by Luke? What power does Luke realize Aldous Krakenaur still has in Chapter 26? What happens to Krakenaur at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)