|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Luke hears the Population Police searching the village for what?
2. Who is the leader of the Population Police and the government in the novel?
3. What do Luke and the villagers eat in celebration in Chapter 15?
4. What does Luke hear as he falls asleep in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 7, the boy who grabs Luke is the boy who was assigned to work with him under whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do the voices turn out to be that Luke hers in the beginning of Chapter 13? How does he escape?
2. What past plan does Luke recall with Nina in Chapter 3?
3. What character is revisited by the protagonist in Chapter 7? Where does this character take Luke?
4. Why does Luke decide to go to the Population Police Headquarters in Chapter 18? Who accompanies him?
5. What conflicts does Luke face with the boy he meets in Chapter 7? What is Luke's objective?
6. What risks does Luke take with the boy he meets in Chapter 8? How can they help one another?
7. How does Luke perceive Eli and the other villagers in Chapter 16? How does his perception change in the chapter?
8. Why do the villagers support Luke and his plight? What changed their minds about the government in Chapter 15?
9. What internal conflicts plague the protagonist after his escape in Chapter 10?
10. How do the villagers effectively protect the protagonist in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze and discuss the plot structure of the novel. In a traditional plot structure, what precedes the rising action? Is this the case in Among the Free? Where is the rising action? How do we know where the rising action occurs? Where is the climax, and what is revealed in the denouement?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Philip Twinings in the novel. What caused Twinings to go into hiding and what is represented by his reporting the news in Chapter 19? How does the news related by Twinings on the radio in Chapter 19 relate to Luke?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Aldous Krakenaur in the narrative. How is Aldous Krakenaur depicted by the author? How is he regarded by Luke? What power does Luke realize Aldous Krakenaur still has in Chapter 26? What happens to Krakenaur at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)