|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luke finds his way back to what town after hiding out in Chapter 6?
2. The villagers who help Luke when he escapes the Population Police in Chapter 13 ask if he is wearing what?
3. According to the villagers in Chapter 15, the Population Police made them move because the village was too far from what?
4. How old is Luke in the beginning of the novel?
5. What is the name of Eli's wife in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal struggle does the protagonist face regarding the change in power in Chapter 12?
2. What does Luke dream about in Chapter 11? Where does he go the following morning?
3. What internal conflicts plague the protagonist after his escape in Chapter 10?
4. How do the villagers effectively protect the protagonist in Chapter 14?
5. How does Luke help the boy he meets in the village in Chapter 9?
6. Where does Luke find shelter in Chapter 17? Where does he find water?
7. Why do the villagers support Luke and his plight? What changed their minds about the government in Chapter 15?
8. How does Luke perceive Eli and the other villagers in Chapter 16? How does his perception change in the chapter?
9. Where does Luke go after escaping danger in Chapter 10? Where does he find shelter?
10. What is foreshadowed in the protagonist's escape in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of oppression in the novel. How have the villagers been oppressed by the Population Police in Chapter 15? What is symbolic about the celebration meal eaten by Luke and the villagers? How does this represent oppression?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of governmental overthrow in the narrative. How is this theme illustrated through symbolism? What does this theme make you think of in contemporary global events? How does it relate to our world today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Aldous Krakenaur in the narrative. How is Aldous Krakenaur depicted by the author? How is he regarded by Luke? What power does Luke realize Aldous Krakenaur still has in Chapter 26? What happens to Krakenaur at the end of the novel?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)