|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Luke reaches the stage in Chapter 31, he grabs the microphone and begins telling the crowd that this is one of whose horses?
(a) Aileen Mootispaw's.
(b) Philip Twinings's.
(c) The Population Police's.
(d) Oscar Wydell's.
2. In Chapter 25, Luke crawls to hide behind what as someone enters the secret room?
(a) A radiator.
(b) A desk.
(c) The signs.
(d) A computer.
3. What point in the plot marks a change, for the better or the worse, in the protagonist's affairs?
4. Who is interviewing the man that steps forward to take responsibility for overthrowing the Population Police in Chapter 23?
(a) Oscar Wydell.
(b) Aldous Krakenaur.
(c) Ricky Everts.
(d) Philip Twinings.
5. What has Luke never done before in Chapter 30?
(a) Wept openly.
(b) Flown a kite.
(c) Spoken aloud.
(d) Ridden a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who destroyed the old identity cards leading to the overthrow of the government in the novel?
2. In Chapter 29, Luke realizes that Oscar will use whatever is to his benefit to do what?
3. When a handicapped boy tells his story to the interviewer in Chapter 27, Luke recognizes him as the stable hand that asked the Population Police for what?
4. How long have the people been speaking for the Population Police and against third children in Chapter 31?
5. In Chapter 25, Luke hears someone escorting __________ into the room as he lies in hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the dichotomy of Oscar illustrated in Chapter 25? What is foreshadowed in the chapter?
2. What does Luke do in the horse stables in Chapter 21? What interaction does he have with Jenny?
3. What does Luke attempt to convince himself in Chapter 26? What lends doubt to this thought?
4. How are Oscar and the boy from Chiutza similar? How is this illustrated in Chapter 29?
5. What is Luke's mindset when he returns to the stables in Chapter 30? Why?
6. What symbolism is used to illustrate the power of the Population Police and obstacles to Luke in Chapter 28?
7. Who does Luke recognize being interviewed on the news in Chapter 23? Where does he know this person from?
8. Who comes to join Luke in tearing down the signs in Chapter 33? What signs of hope does Luke point out?
9. What are the principal fears faced by Luke in Chapter 22? What propels him to overcome his fears?
10. What internal struggle does the protagonist face in Chapter 23? How does he feel about the changing government?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)