|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Luke hides as what approaches?
(a) A plane.
(b) A train.
(c) A truck.
2. The boy in Chapter 7 tells Luke that this is his territory now and that Luke has to do what?
(a) Stay and help him.
(b) Look out for intruders.
(c) Defend it to the death.
3. What is a literary term defined as the events that make up a story, particularly as they relate to one another in a pattern?
4. How many children are the people allowed to have under the laws of the Population Police in the novel?
5. In Chapter 11, Luke spends the night where?
(a) In the village.
(b) In a field.
(c) In the shed.
(d) In a cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Luke find shelter in Chapter 5?
2. At Population Police Headquarters, what character works in the kitchen and is one of the kids who enlisted in the Population Police to sabotage it from the inside?
3. According to the villagers in Chapter 15, the Population Police made them grow what crops?
4. The boy in Chapter 7 tells Luke the driver left him behind when the villagers did what?
5. Who saves the boy in Chapter 9 from the villagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed in the protagonist's escape in Chapter 5?
2. What do the villagers who saved Luke tell him about their past with the Population Police in Chapter 15?
3. Whose memory drives the protagonist toward his goals in the narrative? How does this character propel Luke in Chapter 6?
4. Who does Luke believe may be calling out to him in Chapter 17? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
5. Why does Luke decide to go to the Population Police Headquarters in Chapter 18? Who accompanies him?
6. What thoughts consume the protagonist after his escape from the villagers in Chapter 9?
7. Who do the voices turn out to be that Luke hers in the beginning of Chapter 13? How does he escape?
8. What character is revisited by the protagonist in Chapter 7? Where does this character take Luke?
9. What internal conflicts plague the protagonist after his escape in Chapter 10?
10. Where does the boy take Luke in Chapter 18? What news does Luke discover?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)