|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the leader of the Population Police and the government in the novel?
(a) Oscar Wydell.
(b) Philip Twinings.
(c) Aileen Mootispaw.
(d) Aldous Krakenaur.
2. What does the boy in Chapter 9 claim to have done when threatened by the villagers?
(a) Shot Officer Houk.
(b) Found Luke.
(c) Killed Luke.
(d) Saved the old woman.
3. What does Luke eat with the boy from Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 17, Luke spends the night where?
(a) In an abandoned village.
(b) In a church.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In a cave.
5. In Chapter 12, Luke hides as what approaches?
(a) A plane.
(c) A train.
(d) A truck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible thing or some intangible quality or idea?
2. According to the villagers in Chapter 15, the Population Police made them do what with their crops?
3. What is the name of Eli's wife in the novel?
4. In Chapter 7, Luke presses the boy for information and the boy takes him to what that he is turning into his shelter?
5. In literature, what is the central topic, subject, or concept addressed in a story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke decide to go to the Population Police Headquarters in Chapter 18? Who accompanies him?
2. What is foreshadowed in the protagonist's escape in Chapter 5?
3. What does Luke dream about in Chapter 11? Where does he go the following morning?
4. What does Eli give to Luke in Chapter 16? Who does Luke see approaching the village in this chapter?
5. Where does Luke go after escaping danger in Chapter 10? Where does he find shelter?
6. What thoughts consume the protagonist after his escape from the villagers in Chapter 9?
7. How has the mindset of the population begun to evolve in Chapter 13? Why?
8. What internal conflicts plague the protagonist after his escape in Chapter 10?
9. What past plan does Luke recall with Nina in Chapter 3?
10. Who do the voices turn out to be that Luke hers in the beginning of Chapter 13? How does he escape?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)