|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Luke and the other boys to the town of Chiutza to knock on each door to summon the residents for a town meeting in Chapter 2?
(a) Oscar Wydell.
(b) Officer Houk.
(c) Aldous Krakenaur.
(d) Philip Twinings.
2. The villagers who help Luke when he escapes the Population Police in Chapter 13 ask if he is wearing what?
(a) A bulletproof vest.
(c) A Population Police uniform.
(d) A wire.
3. The boy in Chapter 7 tells Luke that this is his territory now and that Luke has to do what?
(a) Look out for intruders.
(c) Stay and help him.
(d) Defend it to the death.
4. What is Luke's last name in the novel?
5. What occurs when a character is in disagreement with him or herself?
(a) External conflict.
(b) Impulsive conflict.
(c) Inner conflict.
(d) Relational conflict.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luke finds his way back to what town after hiding out in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 7, Luke presses the boy for information and the boy takes him to what that he is turning into his shelter?
3. In Chapter 4, Officer Houk tells Luke to pick up the old woman and take her to the town square where he can do what?
4. What is the name of the boy's father who Luke meets in Chapter 18 and who agrees to go to the Population Police Headquarters?
5. In Chapter 17, a hand clamps down on Luke's wrists and a voice asks him why he isn't doing what like everyone else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal struggle does the protagonist face regarding the change in power in Chapter 12?
2. What is established about Luke's past through exposition in Chapter 2?
3. Who does Luke believe may be calling out to him in Chapter 17? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
4. Why does Luke decide to go to the Population Police Headquarters in Chapter 18? Who accompanies him?
5. How has the mindset of the population begun to evolve in Chapter 13? Why?
6. What is established in the setting of the novel in Chapter 1? How is the government set up?
7. What do the villagers who saved Luke tell him about their past with the Population Police in Chapter 15?
8. What hopes does the protagonist feel in Chapter 11? What propels him forward on his journey?
9. What character is revisited by the protagonist in Chapter 7? Where does this character take Luke?
10. What happens when the old woman is brought before the crowd in Chapter 4? What does Officer Houk do?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)