|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Luke find shelter in Chapter 5?
(a) A cave.
(b) A car.
(c) A barn.
(d) A boat.
2. What does Luke eat with the boy from Chapter 7?
3. Why does Luke turn his shirt inside out in Chapter 9?
(a) It will keep in body heat better.
(b) To hide the police insignia.
(c) It symbolizes rebellion.
(d) It is a darker color on the inside.
4. What is a literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible thing or some intangible quality or idea?
5. In Chapter 16, Eli confesses that they used to turn in people with what to receive food in return?
(a) Third children.
(d) Exotic pets.
6. Which direction does Luke decide to head after waking up in Chapter 11?
(b) Away from town.
(d) Towards town.
7. In Chapter 15, Luke and the village people eat in celebration of what?
(a) Living another day.
(b) The death of Officer Houk.
(c) Eli's birthday.
(d) Their independence.
8. As Luke learns from the television in Chapter 18, the people are cheering in front of the police building, where they have raided what?
(a) The garage.
(b) The store of guns.
(c) The food supply.
(d) The evidence lockers.
9. Luke works in what position for the Population Police Headquarters in Chapter 1?
(b) Junior Marshall.
(d) Stable hand.
10. What are third (or beyond) children born to a family known as in the novel and the series?
(a) Shadow Children.
(b) Extra Children.
(c) Mortal Children.
(d) Ghost Children.
11. What does Luke hear as he falls asleep in Chapter 5?
(b) Gun shots.
12. In Chapter 6, Luke can hear dozens of gun shots, indicating to him that what has happened?
(a) The Population Police have slaughtered the villagers.
(b) He has been spotted.
(c) Someone has tried to warn him.
(d) War has broken out.
13. How many children are the people allowed to have under the laws of the Population Police in the novel?
14. What do the rebels find in the truck in Chapter 12?
(a) Medical supplies.
15. What is the name of Eli's wife in the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy's father who Luke meets in Chapter 18 and who agrees to go to the Population Police Headquarters?
2. Whose voice does Luke hear calling to him to get up and do something in Chapter 11?
3. How old is Luke in the beginning of the novel?
4. What is the location where Luke works when he is working for the Population Police?
5. What does Luke hear in the end of Chapter 12?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)