|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Luke hides as what approaches?
(a) A train.
(b) A plane.
(c) A truck.
2. A horde of men come rushing from the house where the party is taking place in Chapter 9 and threaten to do what to the boy?
(a) Beat him up.
(b) Put him to work.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Complain to his parents.
3. What does Luke hear as he falls asleep in Chapter 5?
(b) Gun shots.
4. Where does Luke attempt to get water in Chapter 17?
(a) A pond.
(b) An old well.
(c) A stream.
(d) A bucket by a house.
5. At Population Police Headquarters, what character works in the kitchen and is one of the kids who enlisted in the Population Police to sabotage it from the inside?
6. In Chapter 4, Officer Houk has an old woman brought to the town square and tells the crowd the woman is guilty of what?
7. The boy who Luke speaks to in Chapter 8 tells him he is on the side of the people who do what?
(a) Put clothes on his back.
(b) Share his beliefs.
(c) Feed him.
(d) Give him money.
8. Where does Luke find shelter in Chapter 5?
(a) A barn.
(b) A boat.
(c) A cave.
(d) A car.
9. What arise from obstacles located outside the protagonist including nature, the supernatural, or society?
(a) Relational conflicts.
(b) Impulsive conflicts.
(c) External conflicts.
(d) Inner conflicts.
10. According to the villagers in Chapter 15, the Population Police made them move because the village was too far from what?
(a) The Population Police headquarters.
(b) The power plant.
(c) The main road.
(d) The water line.
11. What does Luke eat with the boy from Chapter 7?
12. Approximately how long have the Population Police been in power in the novel?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 8 years.
13. In Chapter 11, Luke spends the night where?
(a) In the village.
(b) In a field.
(c) In the shed.
(d) In a cave.
14. Who is the old man who saves Luke from the Population Police when Luke escapes from the abandoned village?
15. In what literary device does the author cause a character to speak or act erroneously out of ignorance of some portion of the truth of which the reader/audience is aware?
(c) Dramatic irony.
(d) Verbal irony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves the boy in Chapter 9 from the villagers?
2. What does Luke have nightmares about as he sleeps in Chapter 11?
3. What refers to an object, thing, action or situation that causes an obstruction?
4. In fiction, what refers to the manner in which the author tells the story?
5. The boy in Chapter 7 tells Luke the driver left him behind when the villagers did what?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)