|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Luke looks at the people of the village with clear eyes, he realizes they are what, in Chapter 14?
(a) Sleep deprived.
(b) Very religious.
(c) Angry with him.
2. As Luke watches, the boy in Chapter 9 goes to the house where the party is and puts his hand through a window with what covering it?
(b) Cardboard and plastic.
(c) Tall grass.
(d) Wooden boards.
3. In fiction, what refers to the manner in which the author tells the story?
4. In Chapter 3, Luke's job is to place _________ on the path the security officer takes to repair a broken fence?
(a) Wood chips.
(b) Horse manure.
(c) Grass seed.
5. What is the location where Luke works when he is working for the Population Police?
(a) The front desk.
(b) The firing range.
(c) The horse stables.
(d) The automotive shop.
6. In Chapter 4, Officer Houk has an old woman brought to the town square and tells the crowd the woman is guilty of what?
7. What does the boy in Chapter 9 claim to have done when threatened by the villagers?
(a) Killed Luke.
(b) Shot Officer Houk.
(c) Found Luke.
(d) Saved the old woman.
8. In Chapter 12, Luke hides as what approaches?
(a) A truck.
(b) A train.
(d) A plane.
9. What does Luke do when ordered to shoot the old woman in the square in Chapter 4?
(a) Drops the gun and runs away.
(b) Shoots her repeatedly.
(c) Shoots Officer Houk.
(d) Fires all of his bullets into the air.
10. In Chapter 1, Luke and the other boys are undergoing their daily inspection of their uniforms and hygiene at what time?
(a) 6:30 a.m.
(b) 5:45 a.m.
(c) 4:15 a.m.
(d) 5:00 a.m.
11. In Chapter 12, when a man yells that he is on official Population Police business, what happens?
(a) The engine stalls.
(b) Dogs start barking.
(c) Gunfire erupts.
(d) The people scatter.
12. In literature, what is the central topic, subject, or concept addressed in a story?
13. In Chapter 17, a hand clamps down on Luke's wrists and a voice asks him why he isn't doing what like everyone else?
(a) Inside watching.
(b) More alert.
14. The villagers who help Luke when he escapes the Population Police in Chapter 13 ask if he is wearing what?
(a) A wire.
(b) A Population Police uniform.
(c) A bulletproof vest.
15. What is a literary term defined as the events that make up a story, particularly as they relate to one another in a pattern?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, Eli confesses that they used to turn in people with what to receive food in return?
2. What refers to an object, thing, action or situation that causes an obstruction?
3. In Chapter 14, the people of the village stand in a line of solidarity against whom?
4. Why does Luke turn his shirt inside out in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 6, Luke can hear dozens of gun shots, indicating to him that what has happened?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)